• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

mrmickfran

2015 already has kirby in february, mario party 10 in march, and splatoon in may. there's more stuff in the way of high profile games like zelda, xenoblade, and star fox that are being slated for this year as well. yoshi's woolly world is supposed to be out in the first half, and mario maker should be out this year too. the wii u in 2015 is a lot closer to having one solid exclusive a month than any other year, representing more genres than any previous year too.

Don't forget Devil's Third >.>

AniHawk

Fatal Frame? Anyone? Fatal Frameeeeee.

for some reason i feel like that's a 2016 game if it comes over - something to help fill in a release schedule as the system's life quickly winds down. smt x fe would be in the same boat. i'm not even sure what the hell else nintendo has going in 2016 aside from probably new hardware. if a new console is 2017 for some reason, i suppose it's possible we see a retro game and/or another ead tokyo game next year, although that may lead to a crummy launch yet again.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think I'm the only Wii U owner who thinks Wii U 2013 >>> Wii U 2014.

Prove me wrong GAF voters!

I think Wii U 2013 >> Wii U 2014. Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, still imo the best two games of the generation, were released 2013. Also, 2013 had Rayman Legends, which was the best use of the GamePad yet. 2014 is considerably weaker, but still nice.

Regarding the Game of the Generation votings: Why start at DC/PS2/GCN/XB, leaving out (at least) NES/SMS, MD/SNES and SAT/PS1/N64? At least those generations should still be quite popular around here. I don't know about older ones (I do know I'd not participate in older ones), but even those could be interesting, no?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I couldn't help but notice that my 2013 and 2014 list all had strong wii u showings, and it would be a shock if the 2015 lineup doesn't repeat it. As dry as the system gets at times, I do atleast have a damn good time each time a game gives me a reason to turn it on.

I didn't think Bayonetta would take it, but I'm proud of GAF that it did. It's a surprisingly niche game with a skill barrier that only really blooms until you try to master it, and its presentation sort of relies on a previous game with similar parameters. That said, I do think it was the most fun game I had played last year, but it also had the best value of any game I bought in 2014. Glad to see that a struggling platform did not hold it back too much in reaching its intended target audience.

for some reason i feel like that's a 2016 game if it comes over - something to help fill in a release schedule as the system's life quickly winds down. smt x fe would be in the same boat. i'm not even sure what the hell else nintendo has going in 2016 aside from probably new hardware. if a new console is 2017 for some reason, i suppose it's possible we see a retro game and/or another ead tokyo game next year, although that may lead to a crummy launch yet again.

I think Fatal Frame could make an October 2015 appearance. If I had to guess at their "optimal" release schedule, I'd figure StarFox in August, some Amiibo-based game we don't know about yet in September, Xenoblade in early October, Fatal Frame in late October, Zelda in the usual November release week, and probably Splatoon DLC or something in December.

AniHawk

I think Fatal Frame could make an October 2015 appearance. If I had to guess at their "optimal" release schedule, I'd figure StarFox in August, some Amiibo-based game we don't know about yet in September, Xenoblade in early October, Fatal Frame in late October, Zelda in the usual November release week, and probably Splatoon DLC or something in December.

there's also the 'project' games from miyamoto, which seemed like eshop games at most unless they were supposed to be for much more fleshed out experiences or even some sort of minigame compilation.

there's also the 'project' games from miyamoto, which seemed like eshop games at most unless they were supposed to be for much more fleshed out experiences or even some sort of minigame compilation.

Huh, I hadn't heard anything about those. Curious what they'll end up being.

Durante

For the GotG thing, I'd be interested in a voting mode where you can only pick 1 game. My theory is that it would reduce the impact of popularity on the final result, since popular games - but ones people aren't too enthusiastic about - wouldn't just pick up lots of "straggler votes" on the lower ranks of many lists.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My recommendations:

Roboleon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143618545&postcount=326
1. [NWU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Puzzle) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Child of Light (RPG) = 6 points
3. [NWU] Hyrule Warriors (Action) = 6 points
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] The Evil Within (Horror) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Action) = 3 points
6. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Destiny (FPS) = 3 points
7. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) = 2 points
8. [360][PS3][PC] South Park: The Stick of Truth (RPG) = 2 points
9. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (RPG) = 2 points
10. [NWU] Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 1 (Racing) = 2 points

I'm starting Kappa'n Toad today, what a coincidence

On the list I already have Child of Light, South Park and MK8 DLC (who da fuq voted for that?). Want to play pretty much all of them, though Hyrule Warriors only appeals to me because Zelda skin, and Shadow of Mordor sort of sounds like a lame Ass Creed game in Mordor. And Destiny? lol.

Anth0ny

Looking forward to the GotG vote, AniHawk. I already have a loose top 10 in my head. My write up would probably double or triple my GOTY write up for this year, too. I have so much to say about the games that were released during that generation.

AniHawk

Huh, I hadn't heard anything about those. Curious what they'll end up being.

project guard and project robot were talked about during treehouse live and had some presence at nintendo's booth during e3. project guard is a sort of weird multiplayer version of five nights at freddy's while project robot is the fight from the beastie boys music video for intergalactic

Not to take anything away from Nintendo (as they clearly had the best games this year) but this win almost feels like a win by default. I think it's fair to say that many of the year's biggest AAA titles ended up falling on their faces. AAA games often feel lifeless to me, but they have their place and are usually harmless fun in the same vein as a Michal Bay movie. This year, however, a lot of the games I played this year were downright unpolished or even unfinished.

I hope other companies make it a policy to stop releasing broken games, otherwise I see a repeat of this year happening next year. Nintendo had a great 2014, but 2015 looks even better. I think their 2015 WiiU lineup could go down as the best lineup from any company in a single year ever.

project guard and project robot were talked about during treehouse live and had some presence at nintendo's booth during e3. project guard is a sort of weird multiplayer version of five nights at freddy's while project robot is the fight from the beastie boys music video for intergalactic

Really hoping Project Robot is a rhythm game then

Fredescu

Not to take anything away from Nintendo (as they clearly had the best games this year) but this win almost feels like a win by default. I think it's fair to say that many of the year's biggest AAA titles ended up falling on their faces

They mightn't have had much competition, but they also managed to knock the games they did release out of the park. Which is why I doubt they will repeat it in 2015. It looks good on paper, but this run of form is unprecedented even for Nintendo.

jariw

They mightn't have had much competition, but they also managed to knock the games they did release out of the park. Which is why I doubt they will repeat it in 2015. It looks good on paper, but this run of form is unprecedented even for Nintendo.

FWIW, Miyamoto from the investor meeting Q&A in October (when talking about the Wii U and software development efficiency):
"In short, we believe it is very important to make the most of each game and extend its life as long as possible. Since the days of Nintendo DSi and Wii, we have been marketing digital downloadable content, and at our development studios, “Make more!” has become a rallying cry of sorts – we have been aggressively challenging ourselves with many new things. Recently, however, we have reaffirmed the recognition among Nintendo developers that the most important thing for Nintendo is to painstakingly create products that our consumers want to purchase."

But I doubt it will repeat last year not because of the reason you said about Wii U peaking software-wise, but because this year we have really strong contenders that hopefully won't disappoint.

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. Titles that have been in development for a long time that will (hopefully) be really high quality on the PS4/XBone will simply be played by a much larger number of people, even when it comes to gaffers. So even if WiiU were to somehow crush it again more people would have experienced the competition's strong output.

EDIT: Btw I'm calling it right now...Dark Souls to win GotG!

Not to take anything away from Nintendo (as they clearly had the best games this year) but this win almost feels like a win by default. I think it's fair to say that many of the year's biggest AAA titles ended up falling on their faces. AAA games often feel lifeless to me, but they have their place and are usually harmless fun in the same vein as a Michal Bay movie. This year, however, a lot of the games I played this year were downright unpolished or even unfinished.

I hope other companies make it a policy to stop releasing broken games, otherwise I see a repeat of this year happening next year. Nintendo had a great 2014, but 2015 looks even better. I think their 2015 WiiU lineup could go down as the best lineup from any company in a single year ever.

They certainly have MORE games this year, but last year had three games that were arguably the best their respective genres have ever seen... That will be hard to top.

fresh from my ban, so belated hail to the queen from me to Bayonetta 2. You the real MVP *tears*

2666844-8182256156-giphy.gif

ayy lmao @ the salt
ayy lmao @ Papercuts putting Destiny #1, what a man. Destiny DID have the funniest moment of the year, when me and Papercuts "beat" the game. I was actually, legitimately doubled over on the floor, tears in my eyes. Incredible, Bungie.

Riposte/Tain, your GOTY matched NeoGAF's. Welcome to the GAF hivemind friend, please enjoy your stay(you pretty much have to, we all think the same thing).

fresh from my ban, so belated hail to the queen from me to Bayonetta 2. You the real MVP *tears*

ayy lmao @ the salt
ayy lmao @ Papercuts putting Destiny #1, what a man. Destiny DID have the funniest moment of the year, when me and Papercuts "beat" the game. I was actually, legitimately doubled over on the floor, tears in my eyes. Incredible, Bungie.

Riposte/Tain, your GOTY matched NeoGAF's. Welcome to the GAF hivemind friend, please enjoy your stay(you pretty much have to, we all think the same thing).

welcome back

CLEEK

Just got around to downloading the data to look at affinity and recommendations.

My recommendations are hilarious, because the vast majorities are games I've either played and disliked, or sequels to games I dislike. The two two results are Smash Bros and Donkey Kong Country, two games I don't just dislike, but actively despise.

Edit: Ha, the same is true for 2013 as well.

One thing that has come from the GOTY voting and results thread is that I will certainly get Transistor. A game I was dimly aware of when it released, but not enough to look into it further.

I've spent all these years building up niche cred. Down the drain it goes.

don't worry, I'm sure somebody is working on a new Famicom game in 2015, you can put that on as your #1 over Bloodborne/Zelda/MGS/Batman/Uncharted to compensate.

Also, make sure you ALWAYS call Rondo of Blood "Chi no Rondo" for Ultimate Hipster Bonus Points

For the GotG thing, I'd be interested in a voting mode where you can only pick 1 game. My theory is that it would reduce the impact of popularity on the final result, since popular games - but ones people aren't too enthusiastic about - wouldn't just pick up lots of "straggler votes" on the lower ranks of many lists.

I don't know, do you really want a voting system where Dragon Age would have moved up 2 spots this year? ;)

ArjanN

Huh, the recommendations are actually pretty spot on. Although most I either already played, or don't own the platform for.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

ayy lmao @ the salt

I will never forget my near death experience from Destiny. Or the slow realization when we started to think we were actually on the final level in the game...oh bungie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm. Why is Caladrius Blaze not on the full list of games? Both myself and Augemitbutter had it on our lists. It should have definitely had more than 2 points.

MOG728

Just picked up AC: Unity (French Revolution is one of my favorite periods in history and I'll be damned if I don't play it) and honestly I don't get all the hate for the game.

Granted, I paid $30 instead of $60, but I felt like this was the first fun Assassin's Creed game I played since the Ezio trilogy.

Connor just sucked
and Black Flag was a pirates game with a handful of Assassin elements.

With Unity, I feel like I'm becoming a master Assassin and playing in an amazing setting. With the updates, I hardly notice any lag and haven't bugged out yet.

I think they will only improve with Victory, but I felt like Unity (minus any technical issues) is a very good and solid Assassin's game and is definitely in my Top 5 this year.

Just picked up AC: Unity (French Revolution is one of my favorite periods in history and I'll be damned if I don't play it) and honestly I don't get all the hate for the game.

Granted, I paid $30 instead of $60, but I felt like this was the first fun Assassin's Creed game I played since the Ezio trilogy.

Connor just sucked
and Black Flag was a pirates game with a handful of Assassin elements.

With Unity, I feel like I'm becoming a master Assassin and playing in an amazing setting. With the updates, I hardly notice any lag and haven't bugged out yet.

I think they will only improve with Victory, but I felt like Unity (minus any technical issues) is a very good and solid Assassin's game and is definitely in my Top 5 this year.

My impressions are the same as yours. I also recently got it for around 20 bucks. I think the reason we are having a better go at it is that it has been patched considerably since launch.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It was marked as a re-release. See the full stats download in the OP.

Hm, okay. If you don't mind my asking, what differentiates Caladrius Blaze and Raiden IV: Overkill? Both are expanded PS3 re-releases of previously 360-exclusive games, but Raiden IV: Overkill made it onto the list whereas Caladrius Blaze didn't.

Hm, okay. If you don't mind my asking, what differentiates Caladrius Blaze and Raiden IV: Overkill? Both are expanded PS3 re-releases of previously 360-exclusive games, but Raiden IV: Overkill made it onto the list whereas Caladrius Blaze didn't.

We have to go through and verify hundreds of games, and don't have time to ascertain the precise specifics of each. Some are judgment calls.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It feels *really* weird to group Left Behind with games like Danganronpa 1 + 2 or Walking Dead. I feel they're like very different from one another.

Top Bottom