• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF gets a Prophet: Rumors about the E3 Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda in 2 years with nothing to show at e3? Smash in 2014?

Hopefully not true , cause that's fucking awful. Unacceptable in the state that Wii U's in.
Wait, there are people who expect Smash 4 to be out this year? lol, wasn't it until very recently that Smash's E3 showing was only in screenshot form?

Star Tropics is so goddamn obscure that I have zero desire to see it become reality, but at the same time if it's good it's good. Anyway all this sounds kind of bullshitty to the maximumz.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, there are people who expect Smash 4 to be out this year? lol, wasn't it until very recently that Smash's E3 showing was only in screenshot form?

Unfortunately, there are some people that are expected SSB4 in 2013. I expected 2014 release date due to Nintendo's 125th Birthday and Smash's 15th Birthday.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
GAF is supposed to be better than this. The quality control on these Nintendo rumor threads jeopardizes any integrity. Who would believe these juvenile postings? Who would start a thread with any sincere conviction over it? It is the same formulaic made up drivel we see on other forums.

Hermii

GAF is supposed to be better than this. The quality control on these Nintendo rumor threads jeopardizes any integrity. Who would believe these juvenile postings? Who would start a thread with any sincere conviction over it? It is the same formulaic made up drivel we see on other forums.

I feel like this happened the day the Joakim Mogren rumors (read stupidity) got out of control. After that, anything goes.

Crom

Imagine a shitty 2d zelda with yo yos and you had to throw the instructions into a bucket of water.

Putting the paper in the water was genius at the time. It broke the 3rd wall bro!

For those that never played Startropics

Spoilers below

When you bought the game there was this piece of paper that said "Keep me" and nothing was on it.

Late in the game some dude tells you to put the piece of paper in water. It reveals a code that you need in the game.

I thought it was pretty neat back in the day.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The point is.... why would Nintendo bother to revive an old franchise if a lot of people don't even know what the hell it is?

It certainly wouldn't be a "Wooooo helllll yeah!!!" for the "vast majority" like the guy said.

How many people were crying for a new Kid Icarus after being introduced to Pit via Smash Bros? Or Earthbound because of Ness?

There's a fuckton of people who don't know about Nintendo's history, especially their less-popularized IPs. It's not hard to imagine that there are plenty of people here who could be into something totally random like StarTropics and just don't know what the fuck it is because Nintendo never bothered carrying on with it.

Crom

How many people were crying for a new Kid Icarus after being introduced to Pit via Smash Bros? Or Earthbound because of Ness?

There's a fuckton of people who don't know about Nintendo's history, especially their less-popularized IPs. It's not hard to imagine that there are plenty of people here who could be into something totally random like StarTropics and just don't know what the fuck it is because Nintendo bothered carrying on with it.

I would love a Star Tropics sequel if they could do it right. I don't know about Retro being on it though.

I kind of assumed games like Star Tropics and Illusion of Gaia would never see another title in the series again though. Would be crazy to get a new one.

Hermii

Putting the paper in the water was genius at the time. It broke the 3rd wall bro!

For those that never played Startropics

Spoilers below

When you bought the game there was this piece of paper that said "Keep me" and nothing was on it.

Late in the game some dude tells you to put the piece of paper in water. It reveals a code that you need in the game.

I thought it was pretty neat back in the day.

I imagine it made you feel like a genious when you finally figured it out.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just remembered why one thing in his rumor bothered me for awhile.

5. Super Smash Bros. 4...As promised by Mr. Iwata and Reggie, it will finally be unveiled during this Direct. What you're about to see is...odd. How to describe...there will be an unveil trailer, and during this trailer a few characters in the. Roster will be announced. All the others are black shadowy silhouettes. You should get a good idea who some of them are, others will be "Who the hell's that supposed to be!?" The full roster will be gradually unveiled from now till release. Release is aiming for Thanksgiving 2014. It might slip to closer to Christmas though. The aim is to launch both the 3DS and U games same day, so they'll do what it takes to get that to happen. This is the big 2014 game for Nintendo. 3DS version is further along than the U one. That one will also be shown on th Direct. Some parts of U version done, others still cooking. Coding, etc set to start in earnest this fall. It looks great ;)

Coding this Fall? Then what's the point of hiring Namco-Bandai for a year ever since June 2012. It's their job to be coding monkey and they already have first prototype for SSB4. If they haven't coding then how did they have first prototype ready.

mantidor

When people make up rumors they really should stick with just one franchise, no one except the higher, higher ups could have all this information, and they would never post on Gaf.

Hell, when Brawl was anounced, even Sakurai wasn't aware.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
When people make up rumors they really should stick with just one franchise, no one except the higher, higher ups could have all this information, and they would never post on Gaf.

Hell, when Brawl was anounced, even Sakurai wasn't aware.

Somewhat right, but they were announcing new SSB for Wii during 2005. It was not even "Brawl" at that time.

If Sakurai declined to work with Nintendo, then they would slapped online mode on Melee and release the game for Wii. If he accepted then it would be brand new SSB which is known as Brawl. Sakurai knew that we are getting Brawl trailer at E3 2006.

prag16

Banned
No one is discussing the obvious, if the rumors turn out to be true then Nintendo's software drought will continue into next year....

Game&Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U (presumably)
Wii U Play (presumably)
Mario Kart 8
3D Mario U
Wind Waker HD

That's still a drought?

Crom

To most people you just listed 2 games

I am interested in all of these and a lot of others will be also

Game&Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Mario Kart 8
3D Mario U
Wind Waker HD

That doesn't even mention the 3rd party stuff like Rayman or Watch Dogs.

Starting in August the drought looks to be over.

prag16

Banned
I am interested in all of these and a lot of others will be also

Game&Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Mario Kart 8
3D Mario U
Wind Waker HD

That doesn't even mention the 3rd party stuff like Rayman or Watch Dogs.

Starting in August the drought looks to be over.

Yeah, I didn't even mention any 3rd party stuff in what I listed above. Rayman, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty (probably), Sonic (if not early 2014), Batman, AC4, Disney stuff, plus one or two surprises potentially.

inb4nobodycaresaboutanyofthosegames

KemoSabe

damn, zelda in 2015 sucks big time.

but since we get a new mario this year and 2 smash bros. games next year, i can´t be angry at nintendo ;)

Servbot24

Banned
Game&Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U (presumably)
Wii U Play (presumably)
Mario Kart 8
3D Mario U
Wind Waker HD

That's still a drought?

That is absolutely a drought. 2 non-games, a remake, a party game, what is basically a known entity in MK8, and you're left with 3 exciting games, 2 of which are niche, for an entire year. Nintendo better have a couple big hitter announcements ready.

If that's how you're gonna play it, the lineup for competing consoles can probably be stripped down in the same manner.

There are already at least 4 PS4 games I'm looking forward to and the console has barely been announced, plus PS3 has at least 3 big games coming.

Crom

That is absolutely a drought. 2 non-games, a remake, a party game, what is basically a known entity in MK8, and you're left with 3 exciting games, 2 of which are niche, for an entire year. Nintendo better have a couple big hitter announcements ready.

There are already at least 4 PS4 games I'm looking forward to and the console has barely been announced, plus PS3 has at least 3 big games coming.

This is mainly just the 1st party stuff being released between August and December.

In what world is

Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Mario Kart 8
3D Mario U
Wind Waker HD

a drought?

A 3D Mario, a Zelda, a Mario Kart, a Pikmin game, and a new franchise being released within a few months of each other is a drought?

That doesn't even include stuff like Watch Dogs, Rayman, Splinter Cell etc.

You are crazy

SpokkX

This

hal9001

Banned
This November-December will be packed. It will be interesting to see how some of the big nintendo games like 3s mario and mario kart do against the competion.

GeekyDad

It is? Granted, I've only been a member for a few years, but my impressions of the community don't suggest such...at all.

It is? Granted, I've only been a member for a few years, but my impressions of the community don't suggest such...at all.

I believe the rules are that you have to prove to a mod that you have inside sources before a thread like this can exist. I have never really had any so I don't know though. The idea behind it is supposed to be that everymember cant post a thread saying "ZOMG I just Me4roid Prime Galaxy It looks awesome and will be shown at TGS 2016"

Roo

Game&Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U (presumably)
Wii U Play (presumably)
Mario Kart 8
3D Mario U

Wind Waker HD

That's still a drought?

I don't know but something tells me we won't get both games this Holiday.

iMerc

rumors sound like absolute crap.

personally, i really hope retro are working on an original ip.
i just want to see what they're capable of coming up with.

Anth0ny

Nintendo cares about most people. Most people are Nintendo's bread and butter.

right

but I'm not most people

Nintendo has a bunch of titles coming later this year that are going to sell fuck all, but will have myself and the core nintendo audience playing the hell out of their wii us.

Can't ask for more than Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD and EAD Tokyo Mario over the course of six months on a Nintendo console.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Didn't you start a thread a little while back claiming Pikmin and Wind Waker would probably be Nintendo's holiday games?

Roo

idk, nintendo might be thinking since releasing mario kart 7 and super mario 3d land within a month of each other worked for 3ds, it might work for wii u.

3DS' case was a little bit different. When 3D Land and MK7 came out, there were only low key titles to fill all the missing spots (from late October to December) so it literally needed both games ready for the holiday season. That, and the system got a massive price drop.

Wii U on the other hand, has a bunch of AAA/High Quality games releasing this year. Sonic, Assasins, Watch_Dogs, Deux Ex etc etc etc and whatever Nintendo decides to release in between. IMO they can prescind from one of those titles (3D Mario or MK8) and release it later next year.

Again, that's my opinion, if they release both games this year I couldn't be happier since I love both franchises but they make stupid decisions too.

prag16

Banned
I hope Star Tropics U is true... now that's a series I think Retro would be good for.

Yeah, as I said several pages back, I actually think this could turn out really really good depending on the direction they go with it, so I don't get all the hate. So what if it's a lesser known IP.

Look, we all know the next Zelda proper won't be out till the very last second of the Wii U's life cycle if Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are anything to go by.

Xun

I would love to see a reboot of StarTropics. Preferably as an action-adventure game or action-RPG.

It can really work well for Retro. Tropical environment, modern day setting, aliens, and a potential back story to work with or even build up.
If it were to get made, I'd rather have an action-adventure game.

We need more Zelda type games, and it would be interesting to see what Retro would do with that type of game.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, as I said several pages back, I actually think this could turn out really really good depending on the direction they go with it, so I don't get all the hate. So what if it's a lesser known IP.

I've been wanting a new Star Tropics since the NES game now. It was also the first game I ever played side by side with my mother, so I obviously have rose-tinted memories, but I do believe the foundation can be updated to modern standards and turn into some really incredible Americanized version of Zelda or something. It'd be amazing.

I still wish Nintendo would just make big NEW IPs instead, since all this shit is all franchise whoring, but I realize nothing I can do will change them :p

Akey

Banned
What are the chances Wii U can emulate 3DS? I mean it has two screen with one being touch. I think if they could bring in digital 3ds downloads to be playable on the Wii U they could have something. 3DS like most hand helds cramp the heck out of my hand so I would be all in for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom