• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Most Anticipated Games of 2017

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
surprised by persona being no.2

and people think Horizon Zero Dawn will bomb?
I don't know what people think but what NeoGAF thinks is the most anticipated game or best game of a year doesn't matter to sales.

It's fun to participate and read the results but all it says is that the people that self-select and participate in this vote on this brand of enthusiast forum with a more console-centric view where anime avatars aren't banned hope will be good.

Zedark

1. Horizon Zero Dawn - #3
2. Tales of Berseria - #32
3. Th Legend of Zelda - #1
4. Gravity Rush 2 - #9
5. Persona 5 - #2
6. Nioh - #7
7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - #14
8. Nier: Automata - #6
9. Detroit: Become Human - Ineligible at the last minute
10. Yooka Laylee - #11

My games were pretty close to the GAF aggregrate, actually! GAF has got good taste!
;)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lets see how my list compares:

1. Divinity Original Sin 2 - GAF: 26
2. Battletech - GAF: 46
3. Torment: Tides of Numenara - GAF: 29
4. Absolver - GAF: 85
5. Dawn of War III - GAF: 53
6. Battle Brothers - GAF: 145
7. Tekken 7 - GAF: 25
8. Resident Evil 7 - GAF: 8
9. Underworld Ascendant - GAF: 263
10. Scalebound - GAF: 22

Only 1 game made GAF's top 10. Pretty typical, my tastes vary wildly from the norm around here.

PS4 putting in work, good grief.

Granted alot of those are niche titles that xbox isnt losing any sleep over.

I agree that sales wise, they'll not fret about it, but I believe it speaks volumes for PS4 being the "best place to play" (to use their marketing).

The biggest knock that keeps resonating for me on the Xbox vs. Playstation debate is the number of exclusives. At the end of the last cycle it was the PS3 ending strong with top exclusives and last fall you saw Xbox tout their lineup as the best ever for exclusives (and it was awesome). It'll be interesting to see at the end of the year which console has the # of highly rated exclusives and if that equals topping the console sales charts.

Goddamn, Zelda and Persona were ludicrously close, that's awesome. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Automata at #6, and FFXII at #17.

Gurish

A complete domination of the Playstation platform, every game besides number 1 will be available on PS4, no wonder Sony dominates this gen.

Man I could've put Persona at the top!

Weird though, looking through the top of the list, only Nier and Uncharted DLC are the things I'm in for. Might be one of those years for me...

Eolz

A complete domination of the Playstation platform, every game besides number 1 will be available on PS4, no wonder Sony dominates this gen.

It's important to note that results might have been different if it had been after the Switch reveal event in 8 days or so. Seen a lot of posts that wanted the latest 3D Mario for example.

traveler

Not Wario

Well, it's not really that surprising when 1 of the three platform holders was essentially disqualified by timing. (and, even then, they got the top spot with the one firm title we know about)

Philippo

Man, it's pretty telling when half of the list is made of PS4 exclusive or console-exclusives.
Sony keeps on rolling this gen i guess, although i can see things changing up a bit once the Switch releases.

Wth? Is persona that big?

It's not so much that it's that big as that it's the most popular of the mid-budget JRPGs these days and the fanbase is dedicated. It's been 8+ years since the last main game that wasn't a remake (and one of those remakes acquired a lot of new fans for the series) so the demand has been building for quite some time. And import impressions have been very favorable, saying it's basically everything a fan of P3 & P4 could want.

I highly recommend trying the Gravity Rush 2 demo.

Nice try, but the first one already had me pretty set for that gameplay for now. Might pick it up in a few months.

Still, been away from my PS4 for weeks so I've got that demo and Nier's to try. And the Witcher expansions. And Last Guardian. And the robbed winner of this contest
west wise at least
Hatsune Miku: Future Tone. Gonna have some fun over the next couple months.

Axass

Incredibly, this year only two titles of the top ten could even possibly be delayed, the rest are all early in the year and basically locked in: RDR2 and Ni no Kuni 2.

2017 is really front-loaded, we know almost nil about the end of the year game-wise, and that's refreshing.

My most anticipated compared to GAF picks:

1. Horizon Zero Dawn - #3
2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - #14
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - #1
4. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - #20
5. Resident Evil 7 - #8
6. Gravity Rush 2 - #9
7. Yooka-Laylee - #11
8. Red Dead Redemption 2 - #4
9. Mass Effect Andromeda - #5
10. Nier: Automata - #6

Incredibly, this year only two titles of the top ten could even possibly be delayed, the rest are all early in the year and basically locked in: RDR2 and Ni no Kuni 2.

2017 is really front-loaded, we know almost nil about the end of the year game-wise, and that's refreshing.
Yep, it is good to have a year where delays aren't going to destroy the top 10. Most of those games are coming really early in the year. So, even if they do get a delay, it will be toward the second half of the year at worst.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Let's compare...

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 1
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 3
3. Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - 18
4. NiER: Automata - 6
5. Sonic Mania - 19
6. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 4
7. Persona 5 - 2
8. Prey - 13
9. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 5
10. Tales of Berseria - 32

Not bad.

Impressive number of japanese titles high on the list !

Not particularly my cup of tea but I'm sure most of those games will be real fine

My top 10 was

-Nier Automata (#6)
-Gravity Rush 2 (#9)
-Persona 5 (#2)
-Zelda (#1)
-Horizon (#3)
-Red Dead 2 (#4)
-Ni No Kuni 2 (#10)
-Nioh (#7)
-Hellblade (#83)
-Yooka Laylee (#11)

mauaus

THIS

It's really not surprising that the japanese games are up there if you think about it.

How often do we get a Zelda game? How about Persona? Not very often. How many people thought we were going to get sequels to NIER or Gravity Rush?

Western games are great, i love western games, but they are built to be franchises with sequels made in a timely fashion. A game that we get every year or every two years isnt something thats going to get the majority of gaming enthusiasts super excited the way a once in a generation game like Zelda will.

Well, it's not really that surprising when 1 of the three platform holders was essentially disqualified by timing. (and, even then, they got the top spot with the one firm title we know about)

Meh, it enables a comparison of PS4 and Xbox One which is the most 1 to 1 comparison anyway. Nintendo does their own thing.

7 Japanese games in the top 10. What a time to be alive.

I love the diversity. Though I don't play Japanese games and very likely won't actually like any of those 7 :p

Turkoop

Banned
Hmm
1. RDR 2 (#4)
2. Horizon (#3)
3. Uncharted: TLL (#14)
4. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (#/) I guess it doesn't count.
5. Crash (#20)
6. Shenmue 3 (#23)
7. South Park (#12)
8. Hellblade (#83)
9. Kingdom Come (#51)
10. Outlast 2 (#48)

I hope Battlefront 2 is the only game who is affected, not all the games.

Top Bottom