• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES light gun better then wiimote

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
chris farley what the fuck GIF

John Bilbo

NES light gun was great since the technology allowed there to be no reticle on screen. It felt quite the same as playing a light gun arcade cabinet.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I'm pretty sure this is English, but I'll have to check in with my linguist professor
Professor Nani

I have disseminated this information among numerous colleagues within the respective field, and a subset holds the conjecture that it could potentially signify the genesis of an ancient linguistic modality, hitherto unspoken for at least ten millennia, conceivably even extending beyond that temporal threshold.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
To shoot things on screens you are actually right. Nes light gun is more precise and with lower latency than a Wiimote.

It definitely was not more precise. Maybe more accurate in terms of where you’re pointing it corresponds to the target on screen in a more 1:1 relationship than a Wii remote using IR beacons as a point of reference.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Wiimote was very good but it was more of a wireless mouse in the air. Its orientation with the sensor bar changed the location of the reticle and the console couldn't care less how large your screen is. I still like the tech A LOT and wish we had more games with better hardware that used it. The beauty of light gun is that you actually aimed the gun at the target on your screen for true 1:1 aiming which has been a bitch to achieve ever since.

Really sucks that there isn't anyway to play these games without a crt. You would think we would have a legit way to do it by now.
Also the level of polish in duck hunt and hogan's alley for the time (1985) was pretty amazing. I know I was impressed coming from atari/intellivision.

Of course nothing beat getting the gold boxed zelda for Christmas in 1987(or 88 forget which). There was nothing like it. Also having that partial map was simply amazing to my 10 year old mind (Dragon warrior and FF1 after that was equally as amazing, but zelda was first. )

Legend.of.zelda-map-nes-overworld.jpg

Off tangent back to Duck hunt, Did anyone else try to shoot the dog? I remember pissing off the neighbor girl, "don't shoot the dog!" like its a fake dog, relax..

duck-hunt-2-920x518.jpg

What other shooting games do you remember? I only recall this and Hogan's alley on NES.
hq720.jpg
Hogan%27s_Alley_Screenshot_NES.png

Oh and The Adventures of Bayou Billy. This one used both gun and controller.

Adventures_of_Bayou_Billy_-_NES_-_Shooting.png
Adventures_of_Bayou_Billy_-_NES_-_Driving.png

The innovation of NES was unreal!

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Wiimote was very good but it was more of a wireless mouse in the air. Its orientation with the sensor bar changed the location of the reticle and the console couldn't care less how large your screen is. I still like the tech A LOT and wish we had more games with better hardware that used it. The beauty of light gun is that you actually aimed the gun at the target on your screen for true 1:1 aiming which has been a bitch to achieve ever since.

Really sucks that there isn't anyway to play these games without a crt. You would think we would have a legit way to do it by now.
Also the level of polish in duck hunt and hogan's alley for the time (1985) was pretty amazing. I know I was impressed coming from atari/intellivision.

Of course nothing beat getting the gold boxed zelda for Christmas in 1987(or 88 forget which). There was nothing like it. Also having that partial map was simply amazing to my 10 year old mind (Dragon warrior and FF1 after that was equally as amazing, but zelda was first. )

Off tangent back to Duck hunt, Did anyone else try to shoot the dog? I remember pissing off the neighbor girl, "don't shoot the dog!" like its a fake dog, relax..

duck-hunt-2-920x518.jpg

What other shooting games do you remember? I only recall this and Hogan's alley on NES.
hq720.jpg
Hogan%27s_Alley_Screenshot_NES.png

Oh and The Adventures of Bayou Billy. This one used both gun and controller.

Adventures_of_Bayou_Billy_-_NES_-_Shooting.png
Adventures_of_Bayou_Billy_-_NES_-_Driving.png

The innovation of NES was unreal!
trinie got ones i want bayou billy now i must find this my friends

bender

What time is it?
what in the are people talking about lightgun worked way more good wiimote was janky switch motion better buuuuuut wiimote didnt work good lightgun perfectos tried clays shooting

What in the heck are people talking about when they say the Wii Remote pointer controls functioned better than the NES Lightgun? I'd argue that the Wii Remote pointer controls are worse and, incidentally, I find incredibly inaccurate. I can't imagine being able to muster a perfect score in the clay shooting mini-game on Duck Hunt for the NES with the Wii Remote pointer controls in place of the Lightgun.

Shakka43

Sinden Lightgun and Gun4IR work pretty well on modern displays.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What in the heck are people talking about when they say the Wii Remote pointer controls functioned better than the NES Lightgun? I'd argue that the Wii Remote pointer controls are worse and, incidentally, I find incredibly inaccurate. I can't imagine being able to muster a perfect score in the clay shooting mini-game on Duck Hunt for the NES with the Wii Remote pointer controls in place of the Lightgun.
yes its all true 80s technology is better then 2000s wii is crud

NES lightgun was pretty janky. Super Scope went out of calibration too easy, that was a bit more like the wiimote I guess. I'd say Wii light gun games were just funner. The crosshairs on screen made it less frustrating trying to sus out how much the calibration was off.

Ghost Squad arcade was the pinnacle of the light gun genre, and the Wii version was still pretty damn fun with one of those dorky gun adapters.

That Operation Wolf VR game has me hankering for some VR shooting which seems like the obvious evolution. I got a kick out of Robot Recall like 7 years ago and have recently picked VR back up for ping pong... may as well figure out what all the good shooty stuff is.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Remember when Undertaker switched gimmicks and turned into the American Badass?

When GigaBowser GigaBowser switched gimmicks he took a different route.

Eugene
eugene.jpg

eugene.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
NES lightgun was pretty janky. Super Scope went out of calibration too easy, that was a bit more like the wiimote I guess. I'd say Wii light gun games were just funner. The crosshairs on screen made it less frustrating trying to sus out how much the calibration was off.

Ghost Squad arcade was the pinnacle of the light gun genre, and the Wii version was still pretty damn fun with one of those dorky gun adapters.

That Operation Wolf VR game has me hankering for some VR shooting which seems like the obvious evolution. I got a kick out of Robot Recall like 7 years ago and have recently picked VR back up for ping pong... may as well figure out what all the good shooty stuff is.
Maaaan, Ghost Squad on the Wii was my shit. I bought that game for like 7 bucks at a GameStop and I ended up sinking dozens of hours into it. I need to bust that out again.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
The lightgun was a completely better product and design because it was made for a specific game, which back then happened to be extremely fun.

The Wii was the worst piece of shit that ever happened to gaming. Literally a re packaged GameCube with bored waggle motions. I’ve never bought anything Nintendo since. Never will.

BlackTron

Maaaan, Ghost Squad on the Wii was my shit. I bought that game for like 7 bucks at a GameStop and I ended up sinking dozens of hours into it. I need to bust that out again.

I never played Ghost Squad before and this motivated me to look it up.

KZ0UhTW.jpeg

I have to admit the "Zero Tolerance On Terrorism" sold me on it almost instantly, I might have to get this going on the old Wii.

Top Bottom