• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Kawika

Sorry for bumping this thread but I just received a 2015 manufactured New Nintendo 3DSXL boxed and new. With a top IPS screen but the colour temperature is off and in the cool side.
As great as the viewing angles are, I'm really struggling to understand why people think these are so much better than the TN screens.
I think I'll stick with my 2017 manufactured New Nintendo 3DSXL.

Trying to figure out if this is IPS or not.

s-l16009d48a.jpg

DOWN

Banned
I was about to buy a black New 3DS XL refurb from the official Nintendo shop but now I’m scared to get TN because of this thread... I’ve never had a 3DS. Should I worry about this or will I be ok even if I get stuck with TN?

I was about to buy a black New 3DS XL refurb from the official Nintendo shop but now I’m scared to get TN because of this thread... I’ve never had a 3DS. Should I worry about this or will I be ok even if I get stuck with TN?

Don't actively seek out pictures of IPS and you'll be fine. Before I knew about them I was perfectly fine with my TN. It's perfectly serviceable. It's only now that I have a dual IPS and a top screem IPS model as well that the TN one now never gets used.

i found the difference between the two dont matter as much with the new x, my first new xl was ips and my 2nd was tn and the difference isnt big enough to go out of the way for ips

also the resolution may be low but atleast games play at the native resolution

the vita may have had a high res screen but the majority of the games on it, would render at lower res

OmegaFax

From my experience with the Mario Black Friday new 3DS, I thought that the TN panels used for that particular batch were lousy. It wasn't only that the colors looked washed out (compared to the New 3DS XL I have with an IPS top screen) but I noticed ghosting was way more apparent in games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth. It was very apparent that reds and blacks smeared when there was character movement. My XL's top screen handles movement + 3D very well.

Edit: I really didn't mean to bump this thread but I saw that Nintendo is still selling N3DS refurbs so I thought I'd chime in.

From my experience with the Mario Black Friday new 3DS, I thought that the TN panels used for that particular batch were lousy. It wasn't only that the colors looked washed out (compared to the New 3DS XL I have with an IPS top screen) but I noticed ghosting was way more apparent in games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth. It was very apparent that reds and blacks smeared when there was character movement. My XL's top screen handles movement + 3D very well.

Edit: I really didn't mean to bump this thread but I saw that Nintendo is still selling N3DS refurbs so I thought I'd chime in.

No, this input is great. Almost bought a refurb, now preordering a metroid special edition one!

Lorcain

I've been playing a lot on my Black Friday N3DS and the TN panels look fine. My N3DS XL has a top IPS panel, which does look better, but it's mostly noticeable when viewing the screen at an angle (no color washout).

I like the size and form factor of the N3DS. It's one of the best 3DS/2DS options imo, even with TN panels. I also own an OG 3DS XL with TN panels, and they look the same. Not sure what some people are seeing.

Top Bottom