• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

To their credit, as someone else mentioned, the Jaguar case isn't bad.

No, but it is quite large by today' standards. This should be the size of a Wii Mini tops.

And totally agree that it should not have any online connectivity. Just focus on delivering cartridge games. Running an online service is HARD, just look at Ouya....or....Sony? :D

No, but it is quite large by today' standards. This should be the size of a Wii Mini tops.

And totally agree that it should not have any online connectivity. Just focus on delivering cartridge games. Running an online service is HARD, just look at Ouya....or....Sony? :D
I agree. Developing and running an online infrastructure to support this console would be expensive and ultimately increase costs across the board. This thing needs to stay simple.

Is your main objection with Kickstarter? I agree that a lot of people are burned out on KS. But most of the same criticism can be used on any project. And yeah, not all the details are out yet, if the KS looks sketchy, I (and other reasonable people) won't back it. I'll use my best judgement when new details emerge.

The guy who is doing project has already had 2 successful Kickstarters that were produced and delivered so I think if funding is met this will be shipped. But all Kickstarters are "Backer Beware" so I still don't see that anyone is going to be hurt unless they have no idea what KS is or it's history.

Actually the ones running the Kickstarter could be hurt. They already invested in the Jaguar molds and if doesn't ship or live up to expectations it will ruin their reputation and probably take down their print magazine. I think they have a lot to loose and little to gain by trying to deceive people.

It is indeed important to be cautious. And also to criticize. It keeps people honest and informed. But some of the negativity in this thread (and I'm not calling you out here) has just been mean spirited. It's fun to bash something that we personally think is a dumb idea. And if the project had stated that this was going to be an "Xbox One or PS4 Killer" I would be right there with everyone ripping this to spreads. But as it stands it is an extremely niche product for an extremely niche (but devoted) crowd.

Hmmm... *scratches chin*... Actually, yeah, when I really think about it Kickstarter is a big reason I have a problem with this project. But my opinion shouldn't be discounted just because of that. I should remind you the thread title is "New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!" And that's been the title since May 9th, almost two months now. There are plenty of Kickstarter projects that get posted on GAF the day they go live and I skip over them without even clicking on the thread. The fact that this console intends to appear on Kickstarter is a huge part of this project and this thread.

And guess what? I'm probably the market for this thing. I'm a huge retro gamer, I own and collect retro consoles and games. Plus, now get ready for this, this is really going to knock you off your feet- I'm a subscriber to Indiebox and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I love that service!! But that shows you exactly why I don't think this will succeed. I love Indiebox but if they told me I had to buy an actual game console in order to enjoy the games they deliver, I'd be completely cold to the idea just as I am to the Retro VGS. Instead I get to enjoy indies in a physical release, I can play them on my crummy low-spec laptop with a generic USB controller, and that whole operation seems to work just fine for them, the indie developer and me. And guess what? They didn't even need a Kickstarter to pull that off! Why? Because it's actually a pretty damn good idea that a lot of people can get on board with. They didn't need to invent a game console for their idea to work, every game card includes Windows/Linux/Mac versions, it's genius.

I think a lot of the perceived negativity isn't intentional, but it just comes off like that because a lot of people have difficulty responding to an absurd idea. Take five seconds out of your day and say this out loud: "I want to buy a game console from the 90's that uses cartridges and an Atari Jaguar shell." The idea is absurd, it's like Kickstarting a sailing ship to sail around the world just because that's retro.

There's a lot of crap that gets on Kickstarter but actually the vast majority of the projects are pretty good ideas. For instance, a lot of them are musicians or game developers who have a good idea and the skills to do it but they can't get money from a record label or a publisher because their idea gets lost in the sea of good ideas. Those projects could conceivably never need Kickstarter if they could just find the right investor to hear them out. The Retro VGS on the other hand, is an idea that would get you laughed out of a room full of investors. It's an idea that could only exist on Kickstarter. It's an idea for a product that even Sky Mall wouldn't touch.

Also, "Backer Beware" is just an excuse to ignore the risk and the bad decisions projects can make. Everyone buying a plane ticket knows that there's a risk of crashing but that doesn't make it okay when it actually happens because "buyer beware." Any project that fails is going to create a shitstorm because it was funded under the assumption that they could competently pull it off, otherwise no one would have backed it. Warning others that a Kickstarter is risky and they might want to think twice before taking on that risk is a perfectly fair form of criticism. And, yes, he took a risk in buying the Jaguar molds, but as a businessman I'm sure he's included that cost into the Kickstarter goal. So again, the risk transfers to the backers. Speaking of which- it'll be worth it to ask whether any of the funds raised are going to reimburse the cost of acquiring the molds, because that will affect their budget as I'm sure the molds weren't free.

I am aware of his two prior Kickstarters, mostly because I backed his first. I backed for one year, 6 issues. Simple, right? Well, each issue was late enough to where you just didn't know if you had missed an issue or not and sure enough- I only got 4 out of the 6 issues delivered and I wasn't the only one like that either. I didn't enjoy that and didn't back the year two Kickstarter because of it.

I don't think I've been mean spirited, I've always explained myself and I don't knock anyone for liking this idea, I just don't think they'll find enough backers and I've always stated that.
There are multiple ways that this project can fail. I'll still be surprised if this can make its Kickstarter goal. I know there are some of you out there that are passionate about wanting to collect for a neo-90's game console. I just don't think it'll be enough to reach the Kickstarter goal. But that's just me and how I read the market.

Peltz

Why would any dev make a game for a new 8/16bits console when there are already millions of NES, SMS, Megadrives and SNES in the wild? Especially when considering that homebrew games made for these established systems usually barely sell by the hundreds.

See? Khaz right here knows what's up. Those of us who buy homebrew carts prefer them on pre-existing systems that have already decent libraries. I've bought homebrew carts, but I will not buy a system for homebrew carts.

I don't pretend to know anything about design and manufacturing, but why is having the Jaguar mold so integral in an age where you can design something in a CAD program and 3D print it?

Could aftermarket cases be made this way?

I don't pretend to know anything about design and manufacturing, but why is having the Jaguar mold so integral in an age where you can design something in a CAD program and 3D print it?

Could aftermarket cases be made this way?

3D printing is great for smaller projects but injection molds are much more cost effective for large production runs.

What's the line between a small and large project? Because the way everyone is talking I get the impression this is going to be in the low thousands.

If you are doing a 100-200 cases 3D printing would be fine but when you start going over that injection molding becomes significantly cheaper especially when you get the molds as cheap as Mike Kennedy did.

Link to the kickstarter?

It hasn't started yet, it's supposed to be starting in "July or August". They are waiting until they have real hardware they can show off running a real cartridge.

As for 3D printing, that is a very slow, unreliable process. Imagine it takes an hour to 3D print a system case - 5000 systems would take 200 days to manufacture, 24 hours straight. With the injection molding, they can manufacture a case in like 10 seconds. Also, the plastic reels used in 3D printing are far more expensive.

I'm not entirely sure some folks out there are understanding what the RetroVGS is going for in terms of publisher support and "making money" on it.

Basically the Retro folks want to make the entry point for developing and making cartridges for it so cheap that it won't hurt for them to say "hey, they have 10,000 consoles sold, I'll put my game on it", gauge interest and produce the cartridges.

Retro wants to keep the risk to the small guys/indies and developers in general very LOW.

With the developers dictating how many cartridges they want produced based on demand for their game, it's very little risk to them financially.

If they have an online store and sell 50 of their games for the Retro console, they contact Retro who produces exactly 50 cartridges for them with manuals and boxes.

While the "risk" to a developer may be low, the reward is equally low to non-existent. Part of the hype of this thing is the idea that all of these big publishers are either going to open their libraries of unreleased stuff or allow existing IP to be licensed so that additional games in classic series can be released. That is just not going to happen in my opinion because no publisher is going to spend the time to negotiate and license IP unless there is at least some reasonable amount of money to be made. There are costs associated with having an attorney review agreements and having staff make determinations about rights and permissions and those costs will require a minimum of thousands of copies of a game being sold just to cover those expenses. Unless these companies are all non-profits, they aren't going to waste their time on such small potatoes.

Ultimately, the only people supporting this are going to be homebrew and small indie developers that already release stuff for niche platforms (often on physical media) and who can easily port their existing games over to the platform. As someone who already owns all the classic and modern platforms, I don't feel the need to spend what will likely be several hundred dollars on new hardware that is completely unnecessary to play these games. Indeed, I believe there are probably many people out there just like me and I believe the Retro team would be better off growing their existing businesses like the magazine and the auction website rather than going down this road introducing a platform for which there is no real need or demand.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Sorry you missed a couple issues. If you received four of the six, I can assure you the others mailed to you as well. It's amazing the % of subscriber mags that go lost in the mail for some reason. Let me know what issues you've missed and I will send them out to you -- email me directly at socalmike@gamegavel.com. Also, regarding the Kickstarter comments, I respond to all of them via email so we can follow up back and forth directly.

As far as delays, RETRO was saddled with some staffing issues which caused the delay. These problems have been addressed with year two and we have just released issue #8 and will have #9-#12 out by year end. You can all check out our print and digital back issues on http://www.ShopReadRETRO.com or find it at your local Barnes and Noble or Hastings Entertainment stores. AND, you can also get your RETRO Magazine by subscribing to http://www.ArcadeBlock.com.

As far as the RVGS console, we are all enjoying reading both the criticism and praise and taking it all in. Glad that the console is stirring excitement with many of you.

Carry on!

- Mike Kennedy, RETRO Media Network

Hmmm... *scratches chin*... Actually, yeah, when I really think about it Kickstarter is a big reason I have a problem with this project. But my opinion shouldn't be discounted just because of that. I should remind you the thread title is "New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!" And that's been the title since May 9th, almost two months now. There are plenty of Kickstarter projects that get posted on GAF the day they go live and I skip over them without even clicking on the thread. The fact that this console intends to appear on Kickstarter is a huge part of this project and this thread.

And guess what? I'm probably the market for this thing. I'm a huge retro gamer, I own and collect retro consoles and games. Plus, now get ready for this, this is really going to knock you off your feet- I'm a subscriber to Indiebox and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I love that service!! But that shows you exactly why I don't think this will succeed. I love Indiebox but if they told me I had to buy an actual game console in order to enjoy the games they deliver, I'd be completely cold to the idea just as I am to the Retro VGS. Instead I get to enjoy indies in a physical release, I can play them on my crummy low-spec laptop with a generic USB controller, and that whole operation seems to work just fine for them, the indie developer and me. And guess what? They didn't even need a Kickstarter to pull that off! Why? Because it's actually a pretty damn good idea that a lot of people can get on board with. They didn't need to invent a game console for their idea to work, every game card includes Windows/Linux/Mac versions, it's genius.

I think a lot of the perceived negativity isn't intentional, but it just comes off like that because a lot of people have difficulty responding to an absurd idea. Take five seconds out of your day and say this out loud: "I want to buy a game console from the 90's that uses cartridges and an Atari Jaguar shell." The idea is absurd, it's like Kickstarting a sailing ship to sail around the world just because that's retro.

There's a lot of crap that gets on Kickstarter but actually the vast majority of the projects are pretty good ideas. For instance, a lot of them are musicians or game developers who have a good idea and the skills to do it but they can't get money from a record label or a publisher because their idea gets lost in the sea of good ideas. Those projects could conceivably never need Kickstarter if they could just find the right investor to hear them out. The Retro VGS on the other hand, is an idea that would get you laughed out of a room full of investors. It's an idea that could only exist on Kickstarter. It's an idea for a product that even Sky Mall wouldn't touch.

Also, "Backer Beware" is just an excuse to ignore the risk and the bad decisions projects can make. Everyone buying a plane ticket knows that there's a risk of crashing but that doesn't make it okay when it actually happens because "buyer beware." Any project that fails is going to create a shitstorm because it was funded under the assumption that they could competently pull it off, otherwise no one would have backed it. Warning others that a Kickstarter is risky and they might want to think twice before taking on that risk is a perfectly fair form of criticism. And, yes, he took a risk in buying the Jaguar molds, but as a businessman I'm sure he's included that cost into the Kickstarter goal. So again, the risk transfers to the backers. Speaking of which- it'll be worth it to ask whether any of the funds raised are going to reimburse the cost of acquiring the molds, because that will affect their budget as I'm sure the molds weren't free.

I am aware of his two prior Kickstarters, mostly because I backed his first. I backed for one year, 6 issues. Simple, right? Well, each issue was late enough to where you just didn't know if you had missed an issue or not and sure enough- I only got 4 out of the 6 issues delivered and I wasn't the only one like that either. I didn't enjoy that and didn't back the year two Kickstarter because of it.

I don't think I've been mean spirited, I've always explained myself and I don't knock anyone for liking this idea, I just don't think they'll find enough backers and I've always stated that.

As far as the RVGS console, we are all enjoying reading both the criticism and praise and taking it all in. Glad that the console is stirring excitement with many of you.

Carry on!

- Mike Kennedy, RETRO Media Network
Thanks Mike. I backed your magazine and I will be backing the RVGS as well. This console is going to need to be priced right, and have a great games lineup.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean, there is a market for this at least. People bought that NeoGeo revival system that came out a couple of years ago after all.

j^aws

Having some kind of downloadable-games system would be a LOT more work than you suggest. You'd need something to save the games to (SD port? USB flashdrive support? Built-in memory and the above? Cartridge with SD port?), servers to download from, accounts and account security measures, etc etc. And for what? For something that'd make the system much less distinct when compared to any other current platform. I don't see the point, really; downloadable games should be at most a minor thing here.

The point, first and foremost, is for patching games with online connectivity. Frankly, I don't trust modern developers to get it right first time, especially on a new system.

Regarding cost, the console can have a basic skeletal infrastructure, and leave it upto individuals to add any extras required, emphasising that this is a cartridge focused device. For example, add your own storage devices because it doesn't come pre-installed with the console.

Furthermore, online connectivity opens up a revenue strean where they can recoup costs involved. They could just leave it completely basic, and develop it in the future if needed. But most importantly, the console launches with this feature, and not added later as an afterthought that fragments the userbase.

They can leave it at that, or go full out with online connectivity with appropriate costs, but I agree that this should be a 'minor thing' for them to focus on. If they are enterprising and smart, they can leverage both their online faces regarding their magazine and auction site, and create an ecosystem with this console. I find it ironic that they have these online faces that deal with physical goods, but ignore online with this console. However, I fully understand why they are going this route with no online connectivity: Simplicity and cost.

A Black Falcon said:
Also, they made it very clear that they want a system which will work for a long time. Anything online won't, because those servers won't stay up forever.

You can design games for cartridges that don't need some server being online in the future. They need to provide a framework for developers to follow. For example, if the game has online play, ensure the game is playable without needing servers being present in the future, so that the standalone cartridge still works.

A Black Falcon said:
However, the concept of downloadable games for games not successful enough to justify cartridges has a long history. Think of the SNES Nintendo Power and Satellaview systems in Japan, for example. But why not just play those games on literally every other console out there today? And maybe costs here will be low enough to make cart runs possible for lots of games. The details will be interesting to see.

They don't have to follow any existing models, there are so many ways they can propose DD games with an appropriate pricing model that encourages cartridge ownership. For example, the DD games could be a subscription/ rental model, with the view to encourage a final Master Cartridge to own for the game. Buyers could buy every game on cartridge or just focus on their favourites, for example.

A Black Falcon said:
Also, an online service could get you online play and high-score uploads. Those features would be nice, for some games, high score tables particularly. They're hardly essential, though, not when, again, all modern consoles have them, and this is not going to be anyone's primary console I'm sure. So I'm fine with their decision to not have internet connectivity.

Online connectivity is as old as some of these consoles mentioned. There are other nostalgic options. For example, they can tap into the BBS culture from the '80s, MUDs from the 70s, FTP culture from the 90s, etc.., Even the Famicom dabbled with a modem peripheral, not to mention all the retro non-PC and PC computers from the 80s that could go online with modems...

We can agree to disagree with online connectivity though.

caffeware

Banned
The company will make the FPGA themselves, right?
------
What I meant with 'piracy' is, let's say, I give them a Chrono Trigger ROM and ask for 50 copies of that game. Will they stop me?

Granted, CT is popular game and easily recognizable. But what about obscure games?
How are they going to make sure developers don't use copyright music, or a Sonic 1 sprite in level 10?

This is a company that publishes a magazine about retro games and is passionate about them, and has been talking to various publishers about even obscure IPs - I'm sure there's a decent chance they would notice an obscure game that someone tried to slip past them, particularly if it were something worth manufacturing 50 cartridges of. And unless they are flooded with developers, they'll probably be working with developers and be interested in checking out every game just for their own curiosity.

If there's a small illegal element to a game, well that's up to the developer to take that risk. I know one of the OUYA launch titles stole its music from a SNES racing game.

New colors for the Kickstarter

x9uNnJO.jpg

ZOMhBi0.jpg

gdYdhKR.jpg

j^aws

^^ Ruby red looks cool.

Found some hardware details for sound - looks like the FPGA can be configured to mimic these chipsets, for example:

• TI SN76489A (PSG) [ColecoVision, Sega Master System, etc.]
  • MOS Technology 6581/8580/6582 (SID) [Commodore 64]
  • Casio CZ-1 [Phase distortion synthesizer]
  • Yamaha YM2612 (OPN2) [Sega Genesis, etc.]
  • Yamaha YMF262 (OPL3) [Soundblaster 16]
  • Nintendo S-DSP [Super Nintendo]
  • Nintendo RSP running SRD/EAD engine [Nintendo 64]
  • Modern systems streaming multichannel audio
I wonder how they'd sound compared to the real chips...

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7453

Shaneus

^^ Ruby red looks cool.

Found some hardware details for sound - looks like the FPGA can be configured to mimic these chipsets, for example:

Oh god, I'd kill for some new games that have classic OPL synthesis going on. All these "retro" indie games that come out but have NES-style chiptunes kind of annoy me. Love the sound of that classic bouncy, warm synth.

Edit: This may have been covered already, but I wonder that if it has the potential to run sounds like the above, if there may be a way to make it compatible via some kind of piggyback device to play existing Genesis etc. titles? Copyright notwithstanding, of course. I'm just over everything that will use an original cart these days having horrible emulation and winding up being nothing like how the original game played. Sounds like this might have the hardware that's actually capable of it.

New colors for the Kickstarter

x9uNnJO.jpg

God this Blue one looks beyond cool. Retro futuristic cool. It shall be mine! Now if only I'll have the funds available when the Kickstarter launches. Clever move making these colours Kickstarter exclusive. They're far more alluring and attractive than the basic black design which I presume will be the only colour available when the Kickstarter ends?

Also do we have a more definitive time frame for the Kickstarter yet? The Retro VGS site states July/August. Do we have anything more specific than that?

^^ Ruby red looks cool.

Now this is the kind of stuff that bolsters their case at least in theory!

If this mimicry is on point, to say nothing of on point and then some as they seem to allude to a bit in the linked forum blurb, this would potentially be quite A Thing if I'm understanding it correctly, especially on the SID end as it has been something of an eternal enigma where the original article is well regarded as the standard bearer even after various clone machine projects and all kinds of stabs at software solutions never quite encapsulated the magic in full. Hell, if they can swing it rights wise and all else, get some Amiga chip action going in full and that alone could seriously help fund their KS as that scene definitely throws it around alongside any number of .MOD folks and all else this thing might have crawling out of the woodwork~

IF the toolchain and audio mixing core situation for this sweeping audio suite is actually robust enough to where prospective developers/musicians could at last be able to freely mix and match across various chip specs intuitively as opposed to some kind of DAW hell with as many trackers open at the same time....then damn...

j^aws

^^ Regarding the SID chip, I had a read through a technical PDF document linked in their forum:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr02zfif5s0tumh/RETRO VGS Sound Unit Configuration.pdf?dl=0

... And the FPGA has these interesting features:

"Voice count: The sound unit will contain at least 16 voices. It is expected
that the sound unit will use time-division multiplexing on the same hardware
to generate the sounds for each voice; if the unit is fast enough, the voice
count can be increased simply by changing a single generic value in the HDL
code. In addition, if the FPGA has plenty of extra space, a duplicate of
the voice hardware may be instantiated to double the number of supported
voices.
For the sake of the music composers and sound designers, the voice
count should be made as high as possible.
"

I like the bolded idea of increasing the number of voices generated. The SID generates only 3-voices, so it would be awesome to have something like a C64 instantiated in the FPGA, with 12-voices instead of 3-voices (for example, 6-voices would be in stereo). In my old PC, I have a couple of SIDs installed in a pair of ISA cards, and this gives me a pseudo-stereo effect, but real stereo with increased voices would be sweet.

Some more SID info:

"Voices in the RETRO VGS Sound Unit can be
confgured with nearly all the settings from a SID voice; the distortion and
digital flters replace the SID's analog filter.
"

... So, this SID wouldn't be identical to the original MOS/ CSG chip; the filters used will be of a different kind. I wonder how closely it would sound - maybe it will have its own identity...

Leynos

I can't decide which color I want! I love that red/blue model, but those transparent cases are also so very lovely. Decisions, decisions.

The last few special Kickstarter colors:

Their Facebook page has done a recap of all the special Kickstarter colors - I hope that means they are starting the Kickstarter soon!

Blue still has a special place in my heart. And yeah with the marketing and promotion kicking in to high gear I would have thought the KS would be very soon now. They announced a tentative "July/August" but I would have thought July with how rapidly they're pushing this, making announcements and advancing forward. I was waiting on this to have a killer app but TBH The Adventures of Tiny Knight being Wonderboy inspired is enough to get me interested in this and interested in ordering one of these from their KS. It's just a question of how much they're going to charge and whether I'll have the funds available. I'd absolutely love for this to defy expectations and doubt and become super successful.

Imagine a decent, new console having a Genesis/SNES style library of amazing retro games. It'd just be awesome. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this. I'd love for it to succeed.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
My only worry is pricing. I presume they'll have different bundles for
different pledge levels.
Something like this:

$100.00 for system and one controller.
$150.00 for system, one controller and pack in game.
$200.00 for system, one controller, game and choice of additional game or controller
Etc,...

Pledge pricing levels will make or break this. If they
start at $200.00 as the lowest level, I think they're in
trouble.

I saw this on gamester81's youtube channel a few months back, I think. The actual idea of a dedicated "retro" console is a good idea, but I don't know if this is the one.

Orayn

As someone who recently started a job involving injection molding, I very much understand why they're reusing the Jaguar case. A high quality mold for a console housing takes many thousands of dollars and hundreds of person-hours to create, and designing a new one would be a huge up-front expensive for a Kickstarter with relatively limited appeal. For what they're doing, it makes a tremendous amount of sense to reuse old tools.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So... How the hell do you develop for this?
>.>

Here you go:

The indie developer would use a regular RETRO VGS out of the box, with a USB cable & free downloadable software that could be downloaded from the RETRO VGS's website. The plan has always been from day one to support indie game development and what I mean by that is that if you're a game developer you'd have as much info, tools and help as possible and not be closed out of the system. This is not a closed console, meaning If you make a game for the RETRO VGS, and you wanted to order 50 copies of your own game to take to PAX and sell them on your own, you could! The plan is to be able to submit your box, cartridge & manual artwork, game code (for the cartridge), instructions and how many you'd like to order and you'd get your 50 shrink wrapped plastic cases with your awesome game cartridges all professionally packaged and sent to you. That still is the plan.

I saw this on gamester81's youtube channel a few months back, I think. The actual idea of a dedicated "retro" console is a good idea, but I don't know if this is the one.

I think the problem is that everyone likes the idea... But in practice when they start hitting those intentional limitations that impact development they'll be less happy.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I think the problem is that everyone likes the idea... But in practice when they start hitting those intentional limitations that impact development they'll be less happy.

The whole point of the system is to keep the games "retro" in look, feel, length, etc based on what system
they're configuring their cartridge to run on. Atari 2600, Colecovision, Super NES, Neo Geo, etc. So
obviously the devs will know the limitations they'll be working with going into development.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think it's a neat idea, but I don't see the appeal in this over, say, the one chip MSX; a new piece of tech able to run classic MSX games on modern televisions.

More power to them, though. I hope they find an audience with it.

So... How the hell do you develop for this?
>.>

You got three options. First, choose a classic game console that is supported (most of them are, up through NeoGeo) and write your game for that - it will run on the Retro VGS. Second option, program it in normal C/C++ for its ARM CPU using a custom core designed for retro graphics and sound - they'll probably have a core giving you things like tiles and multiple scrollable backgrounds (and you can read up above what it can do for sound). And third, write your game for a mix - a classic game console with a few of its limitations taken away by a custom core.

Me, I'm writing an NES game using the MMC5 chip which pushed the NES as far as it could go - if my game gets far enough I'll finish it and get some Retro VGS cartridges made.

Here you go:

You got three options. First, choose a classic game console that is supported (most of them are, up through NeoGeo) and write your game for that - it will run on the Retro VGS. Second option, program it in normal C/C++ for its ARM CPU using a custom core designed for retro graphics and sound - they'll probably have a core giving you things like tiles and multiple scrollable backgrounds. And third, write your game for a mix - a classic game console with a few of its limitations taken away by a custom core.
Hmm... Fair enough! I like the concept a bit more after reading this.
If anything, I might go with a GB angle on this one, then.

My only worry is pricing. I presume they'll have different bundles for
different pledge levels.
Something like this:

$100.00 for system and one controller.
$150.00 for system, one controller and pack in game.
$200.00 for system, one controller, game and choice of additional game or controller
Etc,...

Pledge pricing levels will make or break this. If they
start at $200.00 as the lowest level, I think they're in
trouble.

Read on the Retro VGS Facebook that they're targeting somewhere in the region of $150 to $180 for the system, two controllers and a pack-in game. It'd be wonderful if they offered a $100 SKU for those with lower funds available to truly attract the mainstream but I think due to physical costs on the hardware $150 is going to be the bare minimum here. I guess we'll see soon in August when the KS launches. I entirely agree with you though. Pricing is paramount here. The lower the entry cost the more successful this campaign is going to be.

Shaneus

You got three options. First, choose a classic game console that is supported (most of them are, up through NeoGeo) and write your game for that - it will run on the Retro VGS. Second option, program it in normal C/C++ for its ARM CPU using a custom core designed for retro graphics and sound - they'll probably have a core giving you things like tiles and multiple scrollable backgrounds (and you can read up above what it can do for sound). And third, write your game for a mix - a classic game console with a few of its limitations taken away by a custom core.
Does this mean it's backwards-compatible with most existing cartridge-based consoles (at least, in terms of software... the physical cartridge likely won't fit), including NeoGeo? Or just that if you write it for one of those older consoles, it can be recompiled to use on the RVGS with no change in how it plays?

Does this mean it's backwards-compatible with most existing cartridge-based consoles (at least, in terms of software... the physical cartridge likely won't fit), including NeoGeo? Or just that if you write it for one of those older consoles, it can be recompiled to use on the RVGS with no change in how it plays?
Pretty much the second one. A simplified explanation is, the Retro VGS has a software-reconfigurable chip (known as an FPGA) inside that can turn the console into any classic game console, as long as you have the "core" for that classic console. The Retro VGS cartridges will include a developer's game as well as the necessary core to run it, so when the system starts up, it loads the core into the FPGA and then loads the game. In addition, a game could run natively on the Retro VGS instead, and use the FPGA as a simple graphics and sound card.

The complexity of the cores is dependent on the quality of the FPGA - the Retro VGS has one that can handle up to at least NeoGeo, and they've talked about getting one that could handle PS1-quality graphics (that would make the system more expensive if they did so).

Shaneus

Oh wow, that sounds awesome. Makes me wonder if we might see these existing games that could run on it get official support (like SNK), especially considering their Neo-Geo remake went tits-up a few years ago. Or some kind of wrapper for old games like a software-based piggyback cart of sorts to play legacy stuff. Perfect synthesis of the old sound chips (particularly the MD/Gen) has eluded us for far too long.

Hell, if Sega was able to officially back and support those ports of Sonic CD etc., maybe they'd be up for doing it on this, too.

This kind of tech fascinates the hell out of me, and the more I hear the more I'm thinking of getting on board. I just hope it has the kind of support something like Ouya (which I'm only mentioning from a KS-funded game console perspective, no other likeness intended) obviously sorely lacked.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
40 minute interview (by a guy on Youtube) with Mike Kennedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-YQbf3NTE

I know it's far too expensive, but it's too bad masked roms aren't an option anymore; if you're looking for durability in game preservation, there's few better options. 100-year flash or hard drives can't compare.

https://youtu.be/RL-YQbf3NTE

Came here to post that as well. Really good interview. Hopefully Mike and company
can keep the pricing in check. He mentioned the fpga boards are expensive.

The main news item out of the interview imo is that they're just "buttoning down" the final specs and they'll be revealed soon.

Yeah, it's a good interview well worth watching for anyone interested in the system. I definitely agree that price is going to be a big factor here, I hope he can keep it down.

I already mentioned one thing from that interview, that it's unfortunate that we have no affordable storage mediums that last a long time, and that even the best one we have, the 100 year flash smaller games for this console will use, isn't going to last as long as a masked ROM will, and hard drives are much less durable than that (if they get used, that is). There's nothing really that can be done about this, though, other than use the best thing you've got... too bad.

Beyond that, a few more thoughts:

He says that he's hoping for a lot of people to back the kickstarter, tens of thousands at the 'buying one' level, so that he can go to publishers and have a better case for getting them to support the console; he mentions the issue that you need games to get buyers, but buyers to get developers. The system has a few retro-system homebrew publishers, but no other announced ones so far... and he's probably right that getting bigger names will require sales. I have no idea if what he's hoping for will happen or not, kickstarter can be hard to predict. I would be surprised if the system gets much at all in the way of "AAA exclusives" (major titles from big publishers in popular franchises exclusive to the system), though. I know they want them, and it'd be great if it happens, but with the way publishers are, it seems unlikely.

Also, this thing will really rely on good FPGA cores being made for more systems. That's apparently difficult, but it'll have to happen.

And last, his dislike for digital-download games is very apparent in the interview; it comes across more strongly in a video than it would in text, I think. I imagine some people would call that attitude dated, but I like both sides here... physical games for their durability and not being killable when a developer wants to shut the game down, digital ones for making it possible for small teams to distribute and sell games and for making games cheaper, particularly on PC, if you wait for sales. Overall physical there probably has the edge, because the transience of downloadable games is a HUGE concern. However, on the other hand, no online connection at all has drawbacks; as I said earlier in the thread, as a longtime PC gamer I also do like things like online play and online leaderboards, even if I play online multiplayer games less than I used to (in favor of often older console games instead...).

Shaneus

From the publisher/backer perspective, IMO the only thing he could do is to have some guaranteed publishers lined up if X consoles are backed. So rather than have "If I make $1,000,000", make it "If 12,000 consoles are sold". I can think of a few big-name pubs that would guarantee sales, but in the very least he should be able to muster up something from a smaller pub like Devolver, who are so damn highly regarded in terms of all those lo-fi indie titles they publish, their name alone would have to snag a large number of people.

Present company included, I think.

Top Bottom