• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

Zubz

Banned
I really doubt this'd get funded, or even if it did, I don't see that many people making games for it. Still, I'll be really curious to see where this console goes!

Sounds like a thoroughly half-baked hodge-podge of ideas that fails to appeal to their true target audience in that case.
I agree unfortunately. This console is going to lack any identity. In actuality, this sounds like nothing more than a glorified, cartridge based, OUYA.

I really doubt this'd get funded, or even if it did, I don't see that many people making games for it. Still, I'll be really curious to see where this console goes!
Also agree with this. If we could time travel the 90s dev studios to today and get stuff like 16 bit Final Fantasy sequels, NBA Jam TE 2, Contra III-2, Castlevania IV-2, etc. would be absolutely incredible. I'd also like to see it get early 32bit style sprite based games e.g. NFL Gameday, Loaded, etc. Maybe a DOOM style FPS? Unfortunately we are more than likely going to get random platformer indies of subpar quality.

I also dislike the "Retro" name. These aren't retro games. Come up with a better name, something akin to the 90's in-your-face qualities, or some sort of 80's throwback.

For the record, I absolutely love the idea of a new throwback console that captures the feel of that era, with full 3rd party software support.

I also dislike the "Retro" name. These aren't retro games. Come up with a better name, something akin to the 90's in-your-face qualities, or some sort of 80's throwback.

The Super Cheetah Ultra Process Blaster System!!

They could probably buy out the rights to this unlicensed game and make it their mascot.

2361690-nes_dudeswithattitude.jpg

Seriously though. This is such a horrible fucking idea. It's like trying to bring back Betamax.

And I'm sure the guy running it has an inner circle of friends that are telling him his ideas are great and this thing is sure to recapture the market share that SEGA used to have. But they couldn't care less about how delusional or risky this idea is because- hey, they'll be able to play fantasy 90's game console manufacturer with people's money, that's the beauty of crowd funding.

terrisus

Apparently they're in talks with some third parties to bring games onto the thing. I think it would be funny awesome if publishers just randomly develop dormant ip's from the 8-16 bit eras for this console.

ftfy

If we could time travel the 90s dev studios to today and get stuff like 16 bit Final Fantasy sequels, NBA Jam TE 2, Contra III-2, Castlevania IV-2, etc. would be absolutely incredible.

In my dreams =(

Theonik

Oh yeah I remember hearing about this thing. They bought the Jaguar injection molds from that dentist company iirc.

Leynos

As a retro game collector (hell I even collect CRTs just because) I don't really see a need for such a system.

Unless.... Wait... does it support genuine 240p output? If so... I can get on board with this.

Maybe?

They've updated their "output" section on their FAQ:
http://www.retrovgs.com/f.a.q..html
What are the output specifications?
​​​(John Carlsen) RETRO VGS is a premium game console that outputs high-quality audio and video simultaneously in digital and analog formats. It can connect to televisions anywhere in the world via HDMI 1.3 and allows easy recording of sound and NTSC composite video (or Y/C S-Video via mini-DIN), even while playing in high definition.

As the first game console with a field-programmable gate array (FPGA), RETRO VGS allows game developers to form complex modern sound and graphics circuits to express their creative visions in ways never before possible. The FPGA can generate video at up to 720p/60 or 1080p/30, which the CPU can mix with its images to output up to 1080p/60, all with a palette of more than 16.7 million colors (24-bit true color). RETRO VGS outputs line-level mono or stereo audio that can meet or exceed CD-quality.

Game developers may choose to compress their memory requirements by using indexed color modes (choosing a smaller number of any of the available colors) and/or lower video and audio resolutions, giving game sounds and images a distinctive “retro” style, which can then be upscaled and/or mixed in creative and fun ways.

It says something about S-video, but I'm not fully understanding exactly what they are saying with mini-DIN.

The Super Cheetah Ultra Process Blaster System!!

They could probably buy out the rights to this unlicensed game and make it their mascot.

2361690-nes_dudeswithattitude.jpg
Haha, yeah to an extent. "Super" Nintendo, "Mega" Drive, "Ultra" 64, etc. Hell even Jaguar is a pretty fierce name.

How about Super Mega Ultra Jaguar?

JK, of course. I'm sure there are people who like their console called "Retro Video Game System", but to me it's just boring and doesn't draw attention. The console's name is an important aspect, one of many, that need to be well thought out for this to succeed.

Haha, yeah to an extent. "Super" Nintendo, "Mega" Drive, "Ultra" 64, etc. Hell even Jaguar is a pretty fierce name.

How about Super Mega Ultra Jaguar?

JK, of course. I'm sure there are people who like their console called "Retro Video Game System", but to me it's just boring and doesn't draw attention. The console's name is an important aspect, one of many, that need to be well thought out for this to succeed.

Well the console shell it's based on is the Atari Jaguar, that's why I went with Cheetah. You got the Super and Ultra references and Process Blaster is a reference to Blast Processing on the Genesis, and "system" just because of Nintendo Entertainment System/SEGA Master System.

Even the official name Retro VGS is an obvious reference to what the Atari 2600 was originally sold as- the Atari VCS (Video Computer System).

Even the official name Retro VGS is an obvious reference to what the Atari 2600 was originally sold as- the Atari VCS (Video Computer System).
Absolutely. It's just a niche console with an incredibly niche/obscure name. I guess it depends what the scope of this console comes down to, and what era you are trying to most closely replicate.

If the Retro VGS is mostly resembling a 16 bit console then a late 70's Atari reference is a bad name, IMO. I think it really depends on what era they are mostly planning to emulate.

Last I heard it was all eras up through the Neo Geo (it comes with both Atari 2600 controller ports and USB controller ports), they weren't sure if they should go one step farther for Playstation-era graphics capabilities.

Well, they've said to expect something around 12-15 game announcements at the Kickstarter, so we'll have that number at least. They've already announced four games.

Kawika

In my opinion... we had that for a generation and it was a blissful misunderstood masterpiece:

wii-console.jpg

So True.

My Wii is connected to my Sony PVM. I don't even bother hooking most of my retro stuff up anymore because I don't really want to chance them breaking. Anything I can do on the Wii and not my NES or SNES I will.

Got to love the 240p trick in VC. At least the emulators let you do it too (if you are into that).

Why does it look like a Atari Jaguar?

That case mold gets around...

0,1311,i=65976,00.jpg

Also can we get rid of "kickstarted" in the title of this thread?? This has to be the longest lead up to a project getting on Kickstarter. It only hurts the project in the long run because a lot of people back these crazy projects on impulse. But by the time this thing finally gets on Kickstarter people will have already made up their minds. I'm looking back at the projects I've supported and a lot of them I backed on impulse the first day I heard about them.

emb

Every time I hear about this, it seems a little more possible for it to happen. Hopefully it does.

Looking at some of their launch games, and at what Collectorvision does in general... I can't say I'm expecting greatness. But hey, a new system to collect carts for would be cool enough to me, even if many aren't good.

This will succeed when it hits Kickstarter. The marketing is slick and there's so much love behind it. I doubt it'll be a long term and well supported success when it eventually hits the market but as an Ouya style curiosity that lights Kickstarter on fire and does well in its first year or so; I can absolutely see that happening. I'm actually interested in getting one for the retro gaming fix this'll provide. There are probably thousands of people that feel the same and will therefore back this. Do we have a date for the Kickstarter campaign yet?

This will succeed when it hits Kickstarter. The marketing is slick and there's so much love behind it. I doubt it'll be a long term and well supported success when it eventually hits the market but as an Ouya style curiosity that lights Kickstarter on fire and does well in its first year or so; I can absolutely see that happening. I'm actually interested in getting one for the retro gaming fix this'll provide. There are probably thousands of people that feel the same and will therefore back this. Do we have a date for the Kickstarter campaign yet?
These guys do have one big advantage, they publish the only magazine aimed at retro game enthusiasts, and as such also have contacts throughout the game industry. And hopefully won't have all the crappy flaws the Ouya folks had :)

The Kickstarter is supposed to be July or August - they previously wanted right before E3, but are waiting until they have fully functional hardware they can plug a cartridge into and show off.

Leynos

New special Kickstarter color:

xf7Ufui.jpg

Glorious! Purple, and translucent? I love it. I just hope that I have some cash when the Kickstarter finally goes up. :(

My feeling as well. I think that the Kickstarter will do well, but the final product will have a short, unsuccessful life.

I still want one badly.

These guys do have one big advantage, they publish the only magazine aimed at retro game enthusiasts, and as such also have contacts throughout the game industry. And hopefully won't have all the crappy flaws the Ouya folks had :)

The Kickstarter is supposed to be July or August - they previously wanted right before E3, but are waiting until they have fully functional hardware they can plug a cartridge into and show off.

wut?

Retro Gamer has been around for a lot longer and is regarded as a much better magazine.

retroGameMarch%20Cover_137.jpg

I'm still skeptical of their Kickstarter. Whether their goal is high or low, this thing needs more funds than it can raise. It's an incredibly risky project to back. As always- don't back anything if you can't afford to lose your money.

Koren

I wonder what will be their stance on homebrew to be honest. FPGA that is pretty much ready to run sounds interesting...
I think it needs to fully allow homebrew for a chance of success... I think they even should go open source/hardware on this.

There's a small chance I may be interested in a hackable cartridge console with an FPGA, but if it's an expensive piece of hardware that play a couple dozen old-style games (most being non-exclusive) on an expensive media, and allow nothing else, I'll pass, and I'm sure many will feel the same.

Yeah, I'll consider backing this.
I'm making a game for the Arduboy and this seems like it would be right in my "games only like, 20 people will play' jam.

I think it needs to fully allow homebrew for a chance of success... I think they even should go open source/hardware on this.

There's a small chance I may be interested in a hackable cartridge console with an FPGA, but if it's an expensive piece of hardware that play a couple dozen old-style games (most being non-exclusive) on an expensive media, and allow nothing else, I'll pass, and I'm sure many will feel the same.
What do you consider "homebrew"? Anyone can develop for this and get cartridges (with box and instructions) manufactured for like $8-$10 a piece in lots of 25 or more, it's really the whole point that any indie developer can make games for it.

emb

From the FAQ linked above:
The indie developer would use a regular RETRO VGS out of the box, with a USB cable & free downloadable software that could be downloaded from the RETRO VGS's website. The plan has always been from day one to support indie game development and what I mean by that is that if you're a game developer you'd have as much info, tools and help as possible and not be closed out of the system. This is not a closed console, meaning If you make a game for the RETRO VGS, and you wanted to order 50 copies of your own game to take to PAX and sell them on your own, you could! The plan is to be able to submit your box, cartridge & manual artwork, game code (for the cartridge), instructions and how many you'd like to order and you'd get your 50 shrink wrapped plastic cases with your awesome game cartridges all professionally packaged and sent to you. That still is the plan.
Doesn't sound too far off, really. I'm sure there will probably end up being an easy way to play homebrew on it.

From the FAQ linked above:

Doesn't sound too far off, really. I'm sure there will probably end up being an easy way to play homebrew on it.

Again, what are you considering homebrew? You just quoted a bit saying any homebrew indie developer can have their cartridges made to distribute as they please, so how is it "probably"?

driver116

I'm interested in this project - I like that you can configure for different systems. I wonder if an gaffers want to collab on a title for this thing.

emb

Again, what are you considering homebrew? You just quoted a bit saying any homebrew indie developer can have their cartridges made to distribute as they please, so how is it "probably"?
Right, I agree with what you were saying up there. Sounds easy enough to get a cartridge, so it shouldn't be a problem.

But I guess what I was thinking of as homebrew there, was the situation where you download anyone's code from the Internet and run it yourself. Which, given that anyone can develop for it, even that's not a 'probably' I guess.

The only thing I think they are really missing out on is not including network capabilities. Theres just so much more you can do by having this on the console.

For better or worse I can see this kickstarter being pretty successful. They have a decent amount of buzz already (Facebook page seems pretty busy) and with a high "base price" I think the system will manage to hit it's goal.

Folk who grew up with the consoles the Retro VGS is styling itself after have a lot more disposable income now. This romantic idea of going back to way you played games in your youth could connect with those users in a big enough way to move the kickstarter campaign along.

Sulik2

This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. Who wants a new16-bit cartridge system in 2015? Just make retro indie games and distribute them digitally.

Jaeger

I just don't like the choice of case/controller. I would have liked to see a CD based system (because CD's are cheaper, IIRC), using maybe a Neo Geo CD console as the base. That would have been boss. I unno. I don't know anything about that. But I do know I don't like the Jaguar console and carts, no matter how many colors they come in.

This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. Who wants a new16-bit cartridge system in 2015? Just make retro indie games and distribute them digitally.

The same huge collectors market who spends hundreds on old games (and even more on copies with cases and manuals). If they only cared about the the easiest way to access old games, retro stores like the one I work at wouldn't have been in business for 4 years, now. Digital distribution is not "fun" for alot of people. Some people want consoles and physical media. I know I do.

For example, the same sort of person that will import DMC4SE from Japan because of physical version.

CDs are cheaper, true, but CD drives are expensive and prone to failure. These guys want their cartridges to still be playable in 100 years (literally - they've chosen a special type of flash rom for their cartridges that can last 100 years).

Top Bottom