• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout thirst is real since the TV show success, what should be done?

How would you manage the demand for 'new' fallout content?

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://insider-gaming.com/next-fallout-game-come-faster/

Now, it has been claimed that Xbox is hyper-aware of the anticipation for the next Fallout game and is eager to explore opportunities to make that arrive sooner rather than later.

Presently, it’s expected that the next Fallout game – potentially just ‘Fallout 5’ – won’t arrive until the 2030s.

On a recent episode of The Xbox Two Podcast, Jez Corden claimed that ‘the company is aware’ of the demand for the Fallout label, and everyone is acutely aware of how successful the next title in the series will be. At this point, one of the only avenues the company could take to speed up the development of Fallout 5 is to take it away from Bethesda Game Studios entirely.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They honestly have lots of options. InXile is nearly done with Clockwork. Avowed is nearly done. Could do a remake with a contract team of some kind.

There really is no way to change the trajectory of Bethesda though. Elder Scrolls is just as big or bigger. And Todd is for sure doing Fallout 5. He's producing the show.

Basically remake or spinoff or rereleases.

Laptop1991

Let someone else make Fallout 5 so we don't have to wait 10 plus years for a new game because Bethesda can't be bothered to make their games like they use to in a sensible time frame. although Microsoft will have to enforce this as Bethesda refused Obsidian's offer to make a new Fallout or TES singleplayer game, i'm all for remaking Fallout 1 and 2 aswell, there are modders actually doing this right now which i hope get's finished some day.

Last edited:

jwaxeman

The obvious answer is whatever is fastest and most market friendly. Probably 3 and New Vegas (not sure why you left that one out) remasters.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Xbox-Games-Leak.jpg

Buggy Loop

Give Fallout 5 to Obsidian

Copy past of my list I made a while ago

Josh Sawyer: Project Director, Lead Designer, and System Designer (Still there)
  • Prior to New Vegas, Josh would be most well known for being a designer on Icewind Dale, and the Lead Designer on Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights 2. Since New Vegas, he has directed both Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, and is currently working on an unannounced title at Obsidian. He did not work on Outer Worlds other than providing feedback occasionally due to his role as the Studio Design Director for Obsidian. Made Pentimemt.

Scott Everts: World Building Lead (Still there)
  • A Technical/Level Designer on Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Scott would leave the defunct Interplay Entertainment in 2004 to join the newly formed Obsidian Entertainment. Here he would be a designer on Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, before becoming the World Building Lead on Fallout New Vegas. Following New Vegas, his name does not pop up again until the release of The Outer Worlds, where he was one of 10 different Environment Artists that worked on the game.

Charlie Staples: Area Design Lead, Lead Level Designer (Still there)
  • After New Vegas, Charlie would act as the Level Design Lead on South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Systems Designer on the cancelled Armored Warfare, and the Design Director on The Outer Worlds

Project director/Lead designer/System designer - World building lead - Area design lead/Lead level designer are still there from new Vegas team (and new vegas alone) with many other peoples but these are key peoples. Programmers come and go in any projects.

In the meantime, Obsidian has gained legendary peoples such as Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky, two key peoples behind Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Temple of elemental evil, Vampire the masquerade bloodline. Jason Anderson who was with the same duo above is back at inXile (so Microsoft, could switch team whenever)

It’s almost too obvious that they should do it

Hudo

They could give Fallout 1 and or 2 remake to inXile. And let Obsidian work on a new proper Fallout.

Bethesda don't have to touch the IP.

Edit: Also let Obsidian and inXile cooperate between the Fallout projects.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

They could give Fallout 1 and or 2 remake to inXile. And let Obsidian work on a new proper Fallout.

Bethesda don't have to touch the IP.

With the writing of Starfield, until proven otherwise they should stay the fuck away from Fallout. Elder scrolls 6 will be decisive moment if Bethesda can go back to at the least their « average » writing of the past, but not bottom of the barrel Starfield.

Hudo

With the writing of Starfield, until proven otherwise they should stay the fuck away from Fallout. Elder scrolls 6 will be decisive moment if Bethesda can go back to at the least their « average » writing of the past, but not bottom of the barrel Starfield.
Agreed. If they fuck up Elder Scrolls 6, they either need to close up shop or really fucking finally fire Todd Howard and his blowjob groupies.

Dr_Salt

• Prior to New Vegas, Josh would be most well known for being a designer on Icewind Dale, and the Lead Designer on Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights 2. Since New Vegas, he has directed both Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, and is currently working on an unannounced title at Obsidian. He did not work on Outer Worlds other than providing feedback occasionally due to his role as the Studio Design Director for Obsidian. Made Pentimemt.

• A Technical/Level Designer on Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Scott would leave the defunct Interplay Entertainment in 2004 to join the newly formed Obsidian Entertainment. Here he would be a designer on Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, before becoming the World Building Lead on Fallout New Vegas. Following New Vegas, his name does not pop up again until the release of The Outer Worlds, where he was one of 10 different Environment Artists that worked on the game.

• After New Vegas, Charlie would act as the Level Design Lead on South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Systems Designer on the cancelled Armored Warfare, and the Design Director on The Outer Worlds

Project director/Lead designer/System designer - World building lead - Area design lead/Lead level designer are still there from new Vegas team (and new vegas alone) with many other peoples but these are key peoples. Programmers come and go in any projects.

In the meantime, Obsidian has gained legendary peoples such as Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky, two key peoples behind Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Temple of elemental evil, Vampire the masquerade bloodline. Jason Anderson who was with the same duo above is back at inXile (so Microsoft, could switch team whenever)

Tim Cain and Boyarsky aren't only "key people", they are literally the creators of Fallout.
I say let them make a new one.

Zheph

Think Winona Ryder GIF by reactionseditor

That’s not how to do business when you suddenly have a red hot IP that peoples are thirsting over, but thanks for the shitposting. LOL is the reaction you fishing for right?
I love F1 and F2, I know most people think Bethesda works have been great but they fucked up that IP enough. So unless Black Isle or a proper crpg studio is willing to do something, I don't want another weird FPS without much value imo

Last edited:
After watching Emil Pagliarulo give talks on games writing, he comes across like someone who is openly disdainful of his audience and claims that gamers won't pay attention to his writing anyway as an excuse to half-ass it. Meanwhile, Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone exist to prove people do appreciate good games writing and have experience with Fallout. Basically what Buggy Loop said:

I want to live in the timeline where this came to pass.

Dr_Salt

I love F1 and F2, I know most people think Bethesda works have been great but they fucked up that IP enough. So unless Black Isle or a proper crpg studio is willing to do something, I don't want another weird FPS without much value imo
They can give it to obsidian who has most of the key people who made fallout 1. They just need to get Morgan back for that sweet dark ambient soundtrack.

If they're really going after the crowd who never heard of the franchise before the TV series then I fully expect the next entry to make Fallout 4 look like Dwarf Fortress in terms of depth and complexity.

The obvious answer is whatever is fastest and most market friendly. Probably 3 and New Vegas (not sure why you left that one out) remasters.
They should probably do a proper remake(updated graphics) with small tweaks to gameplay to make it feel more modern, just like TLOU Part 1. It will probably stikl take 3-4 years. A completed new game would take 6+ years(starting from scratch)

From the TV execs at Amazon and Microsoft point of view, I'm guessing they both think of Fallout as a potential multi-series IP, similar to Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead. It's a really unique world that can tell all kinds of different stories. Hopefully Amazon doesn't run it into the ground like AMC did with The Walking Dead

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

They should’ve thought about this when they started planning the TV Show. Even if they get a new team to make a new Fallout it’ll take minimum 5 years to get it released unless they stress it into something nobody wants to play.

Fallout 3 remaster is allegedly in pipeline but that whole leaked schedule has been shaken for sure, Starfield delays probably fucked things up, or Microsoft is also cutting off some projects

But I’m pretty sure they were planning something either before or at the same time as the show, just delayed like usual. Bethesda and timelines…

Zheph

They can give it to obsidian who has most of the key people who made fallout 1. They just need to get Morgan back for that sweet dark ambient soundtrack.
I would prefer a new scope than just using creation engine in that case but I think Obsidian also has its hands full with a sequel (which is a shame because their weird space RPG wasn't that good imo)

Hilarious how Sony plans this out gets a bunch of hate on places like gaf. Microsoft/Bethesda DON'T plan this out and we have people begging for remakes and remasters...

acm2000

only one of those would happen to take advantage of the thirst and thats 76 relaunch, the rest would take years

DaGwaphics

I don't think taking the game away from the those that have been shepherding it is necessarily going to give you the best results. Doing some remakes of the older iterations RE style seems like the safer choice. Even if outside studios are making those, the core ideas remain the same as the original. I guess you could also try using the IP in different genres, but that hasn't worked out all that great for most IPs.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My personal vote is nothing. Make new stuff. There's lots of Fallout stuff to play. If something has to be done have a outside team remake 1.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hilarious how Sony plans this out gets a bunch of hate on places like gaf. Microsoft/Bethesda DON'T plan this out and we have people begging for remakes and remasters...

What a weird thing to say.

My personal vote is nothing. Make new stuff. There's lots of Fallout stuff to play. If something has to be done have a outside team remake 1.

In an ideal world, they would have probably wanted a FO3 remaster or something ready by this point. We don't even know if it's being worked on anymore tho.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A Fallout game is out of the question, people voting for Fallout 5 need to actually think.
Even a remake wouldnt be ready in time for season 2 or season 3 of the TV show.
A remaster maybe......MS could probably hand the project over to Sperasoft and whichever game they remaster will atleast look current gen-ish.

Relaunch of Fallout 76 is the most logical option.......a mission pack can be released that eases new playing who are coming from the show into the Fallout universe.

- Let Obsidian develop Fallout 5 so we don't have to wait 10 years for release

Ironically if you gave the project to Obsidian you would most likely have to wait 10 years.
Avowed plus its support then The Outer Worlds 2 then Fallout 5......yeah that smells like 10 years down the line.

There is enough Fallout stuff out there already. Just put a bigger emphasis on what already exists and then make something new to launch with season 3 or 4.

Maybe remaster New Vegas to launch with season two, but who knows what the timelines on those would be. Maybe we don’t get season two until 2026.

Remaster Fallout 1 & 2 for every system available.

Redo a bit of quest design. Even most rpg players today wont be able to find quests in it, let alone complete them.

Outside of that, those games are pretty good, and perhaps will require least development effort.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They missed the boat on Fallout, but the good news is people are discovering/rediscovering the franchise. So update those classics, and add more content to Fallout 76.

In the meantime, Skyrim has huge potential for a TV show as well. Don’t miss that boat.

Last edited:

Zheph

They missed the boat on Fallout, but the good news is people are discovering/rediscovering the franchise. So update those classics, and add more content to Fallout 76.

In the meantime, Skyrim has huge potential for a TV show as well. Don’t miss that boat.
Bethesda (Todd) said they don't want to do an ES TV show maybe they will change their minds with the success of Fallout

Top Bottom