• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Screenshots and Analysis

I love the magic mechanics personally, although the 50% hit rate for Nosferatu can be a pain in the butt. Compared to most things in Gaiden, I recall magic being one of the more balanced elements.

Gaiden has random battles, so you don't need to worry about that.

Supports and marriage are a massive question mark though. Unless they totally overhauled the game, I'm doubtful they'll be returning. Supports maybe, but marriage, nah.

At least from a graphical/artistic standpoint, Echoes is faring much better than Shadow Dragon IMO.

I am also a bit concerned that they're sticking to the original too much, but honestly we haven't seen a lot of the game. Even just the third-person dungeon crawling is a big improvement and we do have one (yay!) new character.

With New Mystery, IS showed us they could make a really good remake. If they somehow channel 80 to 90% of that energy, we're in for a ride.

Thankfully if Echoes flops, there's still Fire Emblem on Switch, which is promising to be the next new mainline entry in the series ^^;;;

New Mystery was excellent and I'm hoping that Echoes leans more that way on the remake scale then towards Shadow Dragon and the early stuff we've seen has me fearful of SD2.0 but I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm not worried about Echoes flopping it's likely a smaller budget effort compared to what FE Fates and the upcoming FE switch will have for expectations.

The Levin/Thunder sword does 15 damage in the pic. In the original Gaiden the Thunder Sword always does 15 damage. I wonder if that's a coincidence of if they plan to actually keep this quirk (like they seem to keep magic as being cast using HP)

L95

I've been looking for an excuse to mention this... So I guess here's as good a place as any, since a lot of people started with Awakening. So, a bit of trivia.

If have played all of Awakening's paralogues, you've already experienced at least one map from Gaiden :B

It's Inigo's paralogue, it's a recreation of a map from Gaiden, the boss even has the same name (Jamil) as the boss on that map had in Gaiden.

I've been looking for an excuse to mention this... So I guess here's as good a place as any, since a lot of people started with Awakening. So, a bit of trivia.

If have played all of Awakening's paralogues, you've already experienced at least one map from Gaiden :B

It's Inigo's paralogue, it's a recreation of a map from Gaiden, the boss even has the same name (Jamil) as the boss on that map had in Gaiden.
As some players might have figured out
Valm is Valentia; especially as the paralogues location lines up with where that map was in Valentia.

Cerium

That's actually really cool.

51TvhFH5LdL.jpg

This is going to sound weird, but I find the NES map way more visually appealing than the map they use here. It looks bland and lifeless.

Vamphuntr

I doubt there are a lot of support conversation in this. Maybe some for the main characters but that's it. Considering the quick localization I doubt it has a huge script like Fates.

Roubjon

The art style and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any waifu stuff makes me actually want to play Fire Emblem again. I might use my 3DS again!

Amani

Wow, I thought for sure they wouldn't keep the HP cost for magic. Sounds like it'll be a difficult mechanic to deal with, but I'm interested nonetheless. I dunno about marriage, but I'd be super down for supports to be in this. I'm just glad newer players seem to be excited for this as well.

Edit: I wonder if Dread Fighters will work how they did in Gaiden, or if they'll be the same as in Awakening/Fates.

Kinsei

Banned
Well, it's a remake of a game that didn't have marriage and kids, and there is really no way to implement them into the story. I'd rather they not try, personally

I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure they'll find some way to shove a hyperbolic time chamber into the game somewhere.

The 3DS is going out with a bang!
Can't wait for Alm and Celica to be added to Smash Bros. because we all know the roster will soon be 50% Fire Emblem :p

This already looks so much better than Fates. Can't wait!

I can't get over the fact that I'm buying a new Fire Emblem with (likely) no marriage and kids.

benblissrok53.gif

With all those high quality cutscenes and unprecedented full voice acting?

High Quality cutscenes and full voice acting seem like a natural progession to the franchise as a whole. Don't know why people will get turn off by this.

Unless you mean you mean budget wise for the game? I could be misunderstanding

Draxal

Well, it's a remake of a game that didn't have marriage and kids, and there is really no way to implement them into the story. I'd rather they not try, personally

That's really not true, but at the same time it is going to make it even harder to retrofit a shipping simulator (like 4/13/14 and to a much lesser extent 6-8) into this game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This seems pretty interesting, and kind of spin-offish. Don't know that I'd want these mechanics to become standard, but I do appreciate that for the remake they are staying true to things that made the original unique.

Hope we see the same for FE4 and 5 down the line.

Oh, well maybe my logical is rather dumb/stupid, but Awakening was a massive game that only need 250,000 units to succeed, perhaps IS is really good on their budgets and expectations?

We'll see if Heroes has any effect on this. At least with the remake, they can expand the Gaiden cast and give them personalities. Thus making people want those characters in Heroes if they are memorable.

Moonlight

Banned
With all those high quality cutscenes and unprecedented full voice acting?
I doubt Khara is cheap, but I certainly imagine they're more cost effective than the FMVs that Awakening and Fates utilized. And we'll see how unprecedented the full voice acting really is by how much there is to voice act, and even then full VA isn't really a dramatic escalation of a budget.

I just think it's hard to look at this game and get the sense that IntSys expects the crowd that bought the 3DS games in droves and the audience that would care about a remake of Gaiden of all things to be one and the same. And going by the analysis of the footage so far, I can't see many concessions made toward the former audience.

The art style and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any waifu stuff makes me actually want to play Fire Emblem again. I might use my 3DS again!

Yup. This looks super good, I missed playing FE after Awakening and Fates were both huge turn-offs.

Absolutely, this is the only game I've preordered in years. I hate that I'm so excited since there's so little footage shown and they could still force in that wankery business.

As some players might have figured out
Valm is Valentia; especially as the paralogues location lines up with where that map was in Valentia.

It gets better than that. In the background materials, they outright say that the continent was renamed after Alm, because he was that cool of a dude.

Also, on the Japanese official site for Echoes, you can see Archanea/Ylisse towards the far east of Valentia.

I love it when the developers bother to pay attention to the lore ^^

One more pair of shots from the Chinese reveal:

002.jpg
The reveal video at the start you can hear the chapter 1 theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OsuV2fp84k
That's a Japanese guy speaking Chinese which is why it sounds a bit monotonous.

The comments over at Serenes Forest point out Gaiden and Chinese fans go back a long way. Apparently back in the day there was a translated bootleg and that nostalgia would certainly explain the Chinese PC fangame remake (it could not retain magic costing HP and had some other features like some sort of timed hit mechanism).

Top Bottom