• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fire Emblem Engage Previews are Out

Nautilus

Banned
This, except i don't agree that Engage being more "traditional" (whatever that means) be used as a poor excuse for criticism from some fans and press , it has some familiar elements like an Evil Dragon and classic characters, so what? 🤷🏻‍♂️imo It still looks better than Three Houses in practically every way , long running franchises always take things that worked from the past to refresh them up, it happens with the best gaming series like Zelda, Mario, Resident Evil, etc. Fire Emblem Engage looks awesome and just because its trying other things than the last entry doesn't make it bad, i believe the ones complaining more were just expecting Three Houses part 2, and are dissapointed because the new one looks too colorful/"Anime" for them
Yeah, I'm very doubtful about all this "Traditional" being thrown around. Maybe the social and the more story/carachter driven conversations are "soften up", but every single trailer so far seems that Nintendo is doubling down on the aspects that made Awakening, Fates and Three Houses so popular.

And while I prefer Three Houses art style, I do admit that Engage animation and overall graphics(raw) are simply better.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SoloKingRobert SoloKingRobert my dude are you alright or what.
im-ok-im-okay.gif

I need to get into these games. I'm not a big fan of strategy role playing games but it looks fun. I thought Shadows of Valentia looked good because it had actual dungeon crawling. I know the other games don't have that.

Would Three Houses be a good start for someone who hasn't played these games?

Last edited:

Pejo

Would Three Houses be a good start for someone who hasn't played these games?
I would say no, but many would disagree with me. I think Awakening is the best jumping in point. It's the best mix of old/new, it has the weapon triangle (think rock/paper/scissors), some QoL that the old games didn't have, but still feels like a proper strategy rpg instead of a dating sim. It only released on the 3DS though, so you'll have to dig that out or emulate it.

3H has a large part of the game where you run around a school (think Hogwarts) dating and doing events with the students (you're their teacher). Similar to Persona's social system. Funny enough, I didn't mind it in Persona 5, but I hated it in 3 Houses.

3H has a large part of the game where you run around a school (think Hogwarts) dating and doing events with the students (you're their teacher). Similar to Persona's social system. Funny enough, I didn't mind it in Persona 5, but I hated it in 3 Houses.
Well I'm not very good at strategy games so I would have no problem with that whole dating simulation type of thing.

By the way I'm sorry I said it was an RTS because that stands for real time and I know that the Fire Emblem games are not real-time strategy.

Isa

I think it looks ok. Not amazing or anything, but I think the battle animations look good and entertaining and the gfx have definitely taken a step up from 3 Houses. I could go anyway with the art, it doesn't really do it for me, but I know they'd never get an artist I love to do the character designs even though they'd be ace.

It stuns me man, so much hate but at least Fire Emblem is still around, try being a Shining Force fan. We ain't got shit in decades not even a simple thrown together collection save for the usual Sega gen compilations. I hear people complaining about FE and I'm like cry me a river, I'd love to get another Srpg/Dungeon Crawler in the Shining Series again. Granted its preference but I much prefer the fantasy in Shining games over the Humans and Dragons that take human form of Fire Emblem. The mounts are cool though.

Day 1 for this btw, nice to have more Srpgs lately.

NanaMiku

Danjin44

Pretty hype for the game. Never really cared about the character design
Same the character design none issue for me and in last year already played two SRPG with more serious story and grounded setting like Triangle Strategy and Tactic Ogre Reborn and loved both but I dont mind playing SRPG with more colourful aesthetics and more flashy attack animation.

I'm also loving character design in FFXVI but this time people complaining character design is too "realistic".....
200w.gif

I get it, this is just nature of video game forums and internet but sometimes I just want to.....
frustrated-angry.gif

Shifty1897

Seems like i have a different taste like most in this topic. The only FE i ever finished was Three Houses
Three Houses was probably my favorite in the series (I also really loved Shadows of Valentina). It had some graphical problems but Engage seems to address that with a more stable dynamic resolution, higher poly count, more stable frame rate, and antialiasing.

NanaMiku

Same the character design none issue for me and in last year already played two SRPG with more serious story and grounded setting like Triangle Strategy and Tactic Ogre Reborn and loved both but I dont mind playing SRPG with more colourful aesthetics and more flashy attack animation.

I'm also loving character design in FFXVI but this time people complaining character design is too "realistic".....
200w.gif

I get it, this is just nature of video game forums and internet but sometimes I just want to.....
frustrated-angry.gif
People always forget that Fire Emblem design always follow the trend of anime at that time.

I just want Caeda to be in Engage....
ShiidaFE3DS.png

Last edited:

Drell

I don't mind this one, I'm not excepting greatness but 3h surprised me in a good way. What I'm really looking for is a proper remake of 4 and 5. They did 2 new games on the 3DS before SoV and they said the echoes series was going to continue so I really hope the third Switch game (or first one for new switch?) could be 4 remake.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Honestly, the character designs in this one are putting me off the game.

I am not alone in this complaint, but yeah, they're pretty terrible. Specially the main character... what the heck is with it.

Just going to get ahead of things, in about 10 years we will be hearing how Engage is the true best FE game and that anyone who dislikes it in any way is a filthy casual who disliked it for the art direction alone.

-Zelda-

Banned
Tired of not knowing who the english dub actors are, aside from that bitch who is voicing Anna. Can't wait to get the character perma killed as soon as I am able to.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Read a few more previews and I think the job system could really make it fun. You equip the spirits to any character and it powers them up in unique ways. Give your archer magic wings for increased mobility, and new attack animations., etc. Could be a really solid addition to the job system.

-Zelda-

Banned
Two things I really want to know about this game is being kept secret from us.

1.English cast
2. Marriage via support convos, plot point, or in the game at all?

By this time during three houses, marketing and twitter actors had gone all in on letting us know who was voicing who, starting with the lords.

Danjin44

Two things I really want to know about this game is being kept secret from us.

1.English cast
2. Marriage via support convos, plot point, or in the game at all?

By this time during three houses, marketing and twitter actors had gone all in on letting us know who was voicing who, starting with the lords.
I don’t know about English cast but it is confirmed that there is support system but there is no romance or marriage.

Top Bottom