• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: AMD New ZEN CPU Preview Event

Hawk269

Just a reminder that AMD will host their "NEW HORIZON" Preview Event tomorrow 12/13 at 3pm CST. They will showcase the new ZEN CPU prior to its early 2017 launch. Below is the web site to register for the livestream.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

Should be interesting to finally find out what the ZEN is all about and it's capabilities.

remember, they're on an inferior process, so at best their most powerful chip will catch up to the i5, and I'd be very impressed if that happened.

It just a preview so I don't really expect tech details or anything besides pro gamer DOTA 2 player uses ____ to beat his opponents kind of marketing.

Mupod

I believe in AMD so much I bought a 6700k a couple weeks ago.

Seriously though with the 7700k being effectively identical to the 6700k, now's their chance to make something happen.

Hawk269

are they suppose to show actual performance compared to intel?

Don't know. They have Geoff Keighley hosting it and they have some professional gamers going to be using it. Don't know if we will see benchmarks or comparisons, Hopefully we get something good and it creates some competition.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
remember, they're on an inferior process, so at best their most powerful chip will catch up to the i5, and I'd be very impressed if that happened.

What process are they on, and what process is Intel on?

Hmm I think the most important thing is their i3 equivalent offering.

I don't think AMD will price their cpus much lower than intel on the i5 and i7 side of things especially if their performance is close. I think the standard i5 6600k can cost 210-220 US dollars so how low can they go? Will they even match the i5 or i3? Or just shove out their highest end cpu first?

SURGEdude

I don't think AMD will price their cpus much lower than intel on the i5 and i7 side of things especially if their performance is close. I think the standard i5 6600k can cost 210-220 US dollars so how low can they go? Will they even match the i5 or i3? Or just shove out their highest end cpu first?

I'm curious where they will go as well. I think we are likely to see i3 and i5 matched Zen's at a better price. I'm actually equally curious how the AM4 motherboard platform is looking. Stuff like built in M.2 SSD support, Thunderbolt 3, and better USB 3.1 have been tied onto AM3+ boards but it's been something the vendors have had to work extra to support.

Modern motherboard niceties along with i3 + i5 performance at a 20% discount or more over Intel's equivalent and I could see them doing some brisk sales. They would certainly have a better pitch to OEMs for pre-built as well since price is king in that sector.

Latest report for semi custom Zen is 2018+

Scorpio is supposed to only be a X1 @ native 4k so adding Zen isn't really all that important.

Scorpio is not a beast

Seriously, that sucks. Do you have a link to the report? Figured that was one thing they could count on.

thelastword

Banned
I hope AMD puts some hooks into this thing where if you have an AMD CPU and GPU Combo, you get much better performance over Zen + Nvidia or Intel + AMD(gpu) ......

Would really cause people to buy those mobos...especially if perf is amazing...

Zen + 8 core CPU/16threads and Vega 12TF GPU, here I come.........

SURGEdude

Sabotaging their own performance isn't what AMD needs right now.

Agreed. That being said AMD's driver overhead is higher on their GPUs which puts them in a weird place where their GPUs perform even worse on the CPUs than one would otherwise expect. In theory that means if you have an AMD CPU you have an additional incentive to go with an nVidia GPU.

Though I think Vulkan has begun to change this. Not sure about DX12 though.

AMD: don't waste my muthaf*cking time with this.

I'm not watching this but very interested. I want Zen to claim some marketshare from Intel.

thelastword

Banned
Sabotaging their own performance isn't what AMD needs right now.
I didn't mean to intentionally make their games perform lower with other vendor combinations. I'm just saying they could sell themselves even more if one opts for a full AMD rig. An extra 5-10fps due to a pipeline that links CPU and GPU better on dedicated AMD hardware is surely a boon to their business. No one is against themselves......and performance will still be great with NV and Intel as well, just a bit better if all your parts are all AMD.....Surely it's a nice perk to have for a vendor that makes both CPU's and GPU's innit!....

sirap

Zen & Vega don't need to be better than their Intel/Nvidia counterparts. They just need to be good enough and priced competitively.

Bubba77

Ever since the bulldozer hype train i dont trust amd on cpu's. And tomorrow isnt when we will get real answers, wait for independent reviews. But hopefully they can really push intel so its a more competitive market.

I just built my broadwell-e system in the summer so Im not in the market anyways. But it will be nice to see a stronger amd.

SURGEdude

Zen & Vega don't need to be better than their Intel/Nvidia counterparts. They just need to be good enough and priced competitively.

Exactly! i3 and i5 equivalents at a better price along with modern mobos would be a really competitive place even for many gamers. A competitive line of GPUs and perhaps some bundles would do wonders.

thelastword

Banned
AMD: don't waste my muthaf*cking time with this.

I'm not watching this but very interested. I want Zen to claim some marketshare from Intel.
Initial reports are very good, I hope we get some good and healthy competition in this industry, both CPU and GPU, it surely needs it.....This is when we see the biggest push in tech and prices, customers win in these times...

Durante

Ever since the bulldozer hype train i dont trust amd on cpu's. And tomorrow isnt when we will get real answers, wait for independent reviews. But hopefully they can really push intel so its a more competitive market.
That's a realistic perspective and hope. We'll see (but probably not tomorrow).

Oh shit: http://videocardz.com/64741/ryzen

RYZEN-8C-16T.jpg

RYZEN-XFR.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Intel's markup is not low, and Summit Ridge does not have an IGP which takes up the majority of a CPU die these days. Theoretically, AMD can undercut Intel significantly since their chips should be cheaper to manufacturer and they can undercut Intel's margins.

Realistically, AMD will probably undercut Intel a bit but not go crazy with it. Selling an 7600K alternative at a nice sub-$200 price point (say, $180) would likely net them both a nice margin due to the cheaper chip and fairly good sales thanks to the lower price point compared to Intel. Even if it's behind a 7600K clock for clock and in total performance, it should still be close enough to be a viable alternative at that price.

The only place AMD shouldn't be competitive is the enthusiast sector, there probably won't be any reason to consider any Zen CPU over an Intel E-series one regardless of price.

jobrro

Hope this is competitive. Was an AMD man for Athlon XP, Athlon 64 and even had a Phenom 2.

CPU game has been a little boring and stagnant for a while now, hopefully the competition heard back up again.

That 8 core CPU looks good, eager to see how this thing performs.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
What would be the most ideal situation? 7700K performance for $100 less?

More like 6900K performance for ~$300. Nobody is expecting them to beat Skylake/Kaby Lake in single threaded performance, but Zen could definitely be a Broadwell-E killer.

I need to build a new graphic design PC for my wife. If the new 8c16t Zen really is comparable to Intel's $1000 offering for $400, I'll definitely be using it instead.

Top Bottom