• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

Bundy

Banned
Awww, how cute. Someone makes a comment/question about how they perceive something and some of you take it as a personal attack......uh yea i guess
l1s.gif

So secondary low powered CPU is just for automatic downloads? Thought it would run while the console was powered on as well, to handle OS and background processing.

Darksol

While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4

So when Microsoft says this, everyone goes apeshit, but Sony says it and all of you just brush it the side?

Fanboyism at its finest GAF

On behalf of all junior members, I apologize for this.

But back onto topic, I'm actually quite excited about this news. It seems they've made some great progress in the fan department.

The only theme of the 360's dashboard was "ads."

I don't know how it is now but I remember a lot of people complained they couldn't see ads on the first dashboard because many people were under 18. That one dashboard actually looked better with the one ad on each page.

Dragon

Banned
Awww, how cute. Someone makes a comment/question about how they perceive something and some of you take it as a personal attack......uh yea i guess

I take it as a personal attack against my intelligence for anyone to imply that the two situations are even remotely the same. Your false equivalence has been called out.

Yes, maybe i should have stated i was talking about the rage after MS changed policies, people were still outraged that it had to phone home at all, and also had to be online to enjoy most products or offerings. However, when sony made the same statement about essentially being always online to fuction ie enjoy a next gen online connected box nobody held sony accountable for essentially having the same offering or policy MS has. Just talking about level playing feild becasue you do see Sony trolling and using ms statements against them.

PS as almost all say in this case. I am not an MS apologist, i am just stating my views. It makes me chuckle when some posters take others poeples views so personal. Another thing, Do many of you really believe that threats of banning people is a way to sensor others and their views? hmmm i joined gaf because i thought it was different, but i guess a crab cant birth a bird.

Nobody complained about having to connect the One to the internet to enjoy all of its features after the 180. You are making shit up. People hated the online policies when it debuted, nobody said anything after they changed their mind. You're being ridiculous.

Anko

I'm confused. This an extension of the auto update feature, meaning there's still another auto-update that i can customize? I've my PS3 set to turn on and download everything at 5pm due at that time, in Tuesdays, PS Store is almost always already updated and i've still 2 hours left before i get home.

I set things to auto-download (demos, PS+ games, etc) and by the time i get home, they're already downloaded. Hope i can keep doing that in the PS4
You can set it to download remotely through the app either way. You don't have to depend on auto update anymore.

kartu

Banned
While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4

So when Microsoft says this, everyone goes apeshit, but Sony says it and all of you just brush it the side?

Fanboyism at its finest GAF

Did I miss something or are you missing the difference between "must be online" and "nice to be online"?

Skeff

So secondary low powered CPU is just for automatic downloads? Thought it would run while the console was powered on as well, to handle OS and background processing.

I'm not so sure, it also says something about telling another processor (probably fixed function) to do compression/decompression...It's interesting...need more info

Guerilla

Yes, maybe i should have stated i was talking about the rage after MS changed policies, people were still outraged that it had to phone home at all, and also had to be online to enjoy most products or offerings. However, when sony made the same statement about essentially being always online to fuction ie enjoy a next gen online connected box nobody held sony accountable for essentially having the same offering or policy MS has. Just talking about level playing feild becasue you do see Sony trolling and using ms statements against them.

PS as almost all say in this case. I am not an MS apologist, i am just stating my views. It makes me chuckle when some posters take others poeples views so personal. Another thing, Do many of you really believe that threats of banning people is a way to sensor others and their views? hmmm i joined gaf because i thought it was different, but i guess a crab cant birth a bird.

What a terrible strawman. Noone complained about this.

Bundy

Banned

Sorry, but your backtracking makes no sense.

It makes me chuckle when some posters try to use this defense. You're the one that felt the urge to call GAF out with a sweeping generalization.

Exactly where did i call out anyone? did i mention your or any ones name. last i checked: i stated "everyone" . i made a generalization, not a generalization of gaf. also when i said:fanboyism at its finest" i was saying " hey look gaf, more fanboyism" people shouldn't react they way they did and say someone attacked them when that's not the case.

In closing, my apologies if anyone took offense to my statement of thought.

J-Rod

No one has complained about needing to be online to use online features. That is how it is and should be. People were complaining about things that don't need an internet connection requiring one for the sake of DRM. It's not hard to understand.

It cracks me up that people have already declared XO will be silent and PS4 will be loud as a 747 for no other reason than the XO being an unusually large box.

w00zey

To the people who had phats that were not loud at all, I wish I had your consoles (when mine didn't bite the dust during TLoU) during my tenure with a ps3.

Raist

Banned
Yes, maybe i should have stated i was talking about the rage after MS changed policies, people were still outraged that it had to phone home at all, and also had to be online to enjoy most products or offerings.

The only "outrage" I can think of (which was much milder than the one concerning the pre-180 era) was that you'd still have to connect your console online once for "set up", otherwise it wouldn't work. I don't see how this compares.

edit: welp that was quick.

Anko

He also says this about the secondary processor
--どうも、セカンダリープロセッサーが「なんでもできる魔法のプロセッサー」のような意識を持っている方もいるようなのですが、そうではない、わけですよね。

伊藤:そうではない、です。必要なリソースを判断してそれに応じてシステムをコントロールするためのプロセッサーです。スマートフォン・タブレット側でも性能は色々ですからね。セカンダリープロセッサーにすべてを頼ってしまうと、それによってゲーム体験が変わってしまいますからね。
There are some that think that the secondary processor is a "magic processor that can do anything", but that's not true, is it?

Itou: No, that's not true. It's a processor that will determine the required resources, and accordingly, control the system. It's because even on the smart phone and tablet side, there's various capabilities (I'm assuming he's referring to the thought that it can do everything?). If we were to rely on the secondary processor for everything, depending on the secondary processor, the gaming experience is going to change a lot.

The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.

You can disable this, yes?

The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.

I don't like what I'm reading here... "generally". :(

Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.

:/

Dukey

Banned
The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
All of it sounds great, but I'd feel better if "generally" wasn't a part of the sentence. Not worried about the sound of the drive since it appears that all games will be installed to the drive anyway (unless I'm remembering that incorrectly). For anyone currently without PS+, the nightly updates are very cool.

IT Slave

Banned
Just so its clear. You are still required to be online with the XB1. It requires a day one patch, to DRM "remove" the DRM.

I do not know if there is a definitive answer as to what happens if you do not connect that first time.

So, Xbone online required. Day One 2013.

A day one update will be required for both consoles. If I have to explain this one, none of you have been paying attention.

DBT85

I thought I set the time for my PS+ to do its bit at night.
I read this is Matt Lees' voice.

I posted it in Queenie from Blackadder Season 2 finale voice from when she dictates the latter to the German Prince Ludwig. Or you could read it in the voice of the German Prince Ludwig.

I hope that doesn't inconweeeiiinience you.

gtj1092

A day one update will be required for both consoles. If I have to explain this one, none of you have been paying attention.

Really didn't know that?

Also when did noise become such a huge problem. I can hear all my consoles but I wouldn't consider that loud. I can hear my PC and laptop too. Disk drives spin this isn't new. I think the Ps4/One/WiiU all run at 6x. And it wouldn't run at that speed all the time. Someone help me understand how being quieter than a Ps3 isn't a plus or is this a console war thing?

Re. the PS4 acting as a server for PS App, I think they're talking about in the context of second screen gaming with PS4 which the App provides an environment for.

Obviously in this case it is better for the App to talk directly to your PS4 than through the internet. The idea of using the net here is if you wanted to have multiple players doing that kind of gaming together/remotely, but for more standard second screen gaming there's no reason it would interface with your PS4 through a remote connection rather than a local one.

For store browsing/purchasing or pulling down information about your friends, messages etc. it will just communicate directly with PSN. The idea it would save bandwidth by going to your PS4 directly is incorrect; it wouldn't. Afterall, your PS4 would have to pull that data down from PSN anyway.

THANK YOU.

Guys, it's obvious that the quotes are roughly translated, hence the 'smaller' noise level etc. Wait until a western rep comments in these things before taking it as concrete strange-facts.

IT Slave

Banned
No a day one update is recommended for PS4. It will play games without it, key distinction.

There is no distinction, Microsoft never said (in my recollection) that the day one update was needed to "turn off DRM". That was just people jumping to conclusions. They just said that once you update the console's OS there will be no need to ever connect to the Internet after that.

Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified. But it's not shipping with the OS. Both companies realize that you can't have your software schedule impact your hardware schedule because the former is more time sensitive.

tfur

There is no distinction, Microsoft never said (in my recollection) that the day one update was needed to "turn off DRM". That was just people jumping to conclusions. They just said that once you update the console's OS there will be no need to ever connect to the Internet after that.

Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified. But it's not shipping with the OS. Both companies realize that you can't have your software schedule impact your hardware schedule because the former is more time sensitive.

I think your recollection in incorrect.

There was a thread about this Xb1 needing this about a week ago. It seemed that the consensus was that the DRM update was needed on the Xb1 to even play games.

I am sure there is someone here who has the correct information, but I am do believe that you do not need the internet ever to play games on the ps4.

Top Bottom