• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Golf: World Tour previews

Pretty pumped for this, without having ever played the old ones though.. If this doesn't turn out to be great i will grab the GBA one instead and give that a shot!!

Looking really forward for this game, last one I played was Toadstool Tour. I wish it was coming to Wii U however. Still will be buying Day 1 more than likely.

Kouriozan

The game is now 35€ on Amazon.fr, hopefully it'll go down to 30€ as the game was/is priced $29,99 for the US since a few months already.
Just saw Nintendaan's video and I'm pretty hyped!

Cody_D165

Banned
Echoing the sentiments, I also am really looking forward to this game. Online-enabled Mario Golf has been something I have been looking forward to for a while.

Foshy

It basically plays the exact same as Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf, right? Only played the N64 version, not sure if they changed anything.

I really enjoyed that one and HSG on Vita, so I might pick this up when it gets cheaper.

Koren

No Plum though?
I'm quite sad, I'd welcome Plum and Maple again.

It basically plays the exact same as Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf, right? Only played the N64 version, not sure if they changed anything.
Mario Golf can get more crazy than the "near-realistic" Minna no Golf/EG/HSG : you can sometime play with items, some courses may have green pipe shortcuts, etc.

There's also usually more set of rules: ring golf, slots golf, etc.

I love both series, and it's sad we're not seeing a lot of them nowadays. Especially on consoles (and recent Minna no golf on consoles quite simplified the formula... besides, MnG V only had 6 courses :/ )

Damn it, why didn't anyone tell me Star Characters are back (Then again, it was a safe assumption to make)?
L2l8P6l.png
Totally unlocking Star Yoshi ASAP. Yaaaaaay, unlocking things is so much fun... ><;

yeah, especially for a portable. Who cares about online when im mostly playing this on my daily commute?

I do, because I can never play portables on my daily commute since Houston has almost zero public transportation and everyone drives everywhere. I play handheld games in between classes and at home so online is still important for me.

Really excited about the online in this. No online in Mario Party is what made me decide to not get it.

Meh, no real RPG mode no buy. I've been replaying my GBA Mario tennis over the last year and it looks like I'll have to restart GBA Mario golf soon.

I should probably explain my screaming. Let's see... I'll start with the good news.
The final one I can discuss today is Cheep Cheep Lagoon, an underwater stage, which is a first for this series, I believe.
"The final one I can discuss today" after listing every course we know about = "There's more, folks, but I'm embargoed."
Beyond the Castle Club, there is also the Mario Golf mode that offers various options.
It then goes on to pretty much confirm that if there's a mode you liked in Toadstool Tour then it's returning.
This is mostly because the Mario themed courses are added to the mix, which are unlocked through the Mario Golf mode. In this mode, you will find a full featured challenge mode with every course having ten challenges to tackle. These challenges include going through rings, collecting a certain amount of coins, going for a certain stroke score, completing Point Challenges by using the Club Slots feature, and duking it out against computer opponents. By finishing off these computers, you will unlock the Star version of that character.
Yay, more single player content! Which makes sense because...
I'll start with the new Castle Club Mode, as this was the least known. If you are expecting a role playing ordeal, then you're going to be disappointed. Castle Club can be more seen as a general hub for your Mii character in which it can walk about and do some occasional challenges. There are tournaments you can tackle, but the amount is rather limited since there are just three of them with 18 holes each.
3 courses in Castle Club, eh? Bah humbug. But the real AAAAAAH causer is...
By completing challenges in groups of seven, the special nine hole courses will unlock throughout your ventures.
Oh come the $@^* on. We knew there were going to be at least one or two nine hole courses because the GameSpot preview showed the course selection screen, and each course had a number of holes and its par # (72 is average). It wouldn't show the number of holes if they were all 18, but if all the Mario-ish courses really are 9 holes...

Still day 1 for me though. I've been waiting way too long for a Toadstool Tour sequel.

bfwings55

Looks awesome.

It's a real shame about Mario Tennis Open. I love Mario Tennis, but the removal of the super moves and the addition of the special hit markers or whatever ruined the game. Ended up trading it in when I really wanted to love it. :(

Velcro Fly

Man if some of the Mario themed courses are only 9 holes that is a huge disappointment I'm not going to lie. I'm really less likely to want DLC courses if the game I'm buying has 9 hole courses.

Zalman

Personally, I am still satisfied with Power Tennis and Toadstool Tour on the GameCube, but this seems to preview better than expected. I might pick it up when it's cheap.

I think I was wrong and these are $35 each. Sorry if I accidentally misled anyone.
Best Buy used to have the physical version of this game at $40. They lowered it to $30, not $35. They also have the download version up... for $30. And pretty much everywhere that isn't GameStop has it up for $30, too. >_>

Kirby should be $35 though.

Velcro Fly

The 9 holers being 9 holes is so dealbreaking though. When I go online to play I want to play 18 holes of golf not 9. I want the option of playing 9 or 18, not getting stuck playing 9 because that's what we get. The game looks awesome and I know it will play awesome if it's like the Gamecube game but damn does it sting to have so many 9 hole courses. What about the DLC courses? Are we buying full, 18 hole courses? Are we buying the back 9 to the special courses?

I'm hoping that full 18 hole courses need to be unlocked somehow. It's a faint hope but I hope that I'm not stuck with only 3 full 18 hole courses on this game. I really want this game but it's just difficult right now not knowing about the special courses and if they are only 9 holes.

Top Bottom