• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Tennis Open screens + features revealed

wow man, this is such a huge bummer that this game apparently sucks :/. i'd kill for a great 3ds sports game

Mainstream reviewers are way too jaded over these things. Chances are if you buy Mario Tennis for the 3DS you'll have a fun time playing it.

I haven't seriously considered reviews (especially numerical reviews) for many years now. It's never a good way to gauge the level of enjoyment you will get out of the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I dunno man, I think most reviewers can see the value in a game. Like HSG for Vita got very solid reviews as it deserved and it's in the same ballpark to me. We'll see.

Tookay

maaan are you serious? that's really disappointing. :/

it even uses the syntax "1-1" and "1-2" in the levels I've seen so I kind of thought that first "1" would eventually change...

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing, but I'm not surprised.

I dunno man, I think most reviewers can see the value in a game. Like HSG for Vita got very solid reviews as it deserved and it's in the same ballpark to me. We'll see.

There are just too many double standards.

For example, they praise games like Call of Duty for being "more of the same," and then they criticize games like Mario Tennis 3DS for being "more of the same."

I think the problem here is really just the price. If they want to do a polished game that is ultimately lacking features/longevity that is fine, but they have to move with the times and price these games appropriately/make them downloadable titles. I can see why it would be difficult for Nintendo to let go and embrace downloadable-only titles seeing how their audience is not nearly as trained as Steam or XBLA users are at buying digital games, but they only have themselves to blame for that and that problem will only get worse if they don't do something about it. Pushmo alone will not do the trick.

And to be honest, only Mario tennis 64 was a 9ish game. It had original mechanics at the time for tennis (I think) and played super well.

Power tennis was good, but power shots kinda made it less tennis and more... bullshit? It had a bunch of features and pretty fun mechanics.

Also, having non splitscreen multiplayer makes MT and smash bros some of the best party games around, which you really can't do with a portable game :/

And in an age where pretty much every single sports game has some kind of 'story mode'/'road to the show'/'my player', I wouldn't be surprised if a wii U MT would be criticized if it didn't have a robust SP mode.

The alternate control method being usable in the online mode is a deal breaker. Stupid stupid stupid.

Chance shots are by far the biggest offenders. The frequency with which they appear is just crazy. Why isn't this shit possible to get rid off? It turns matches into some wacky shit instead of tennis. Even Power shots could be turned off. Oh well. And I was so excited about a new Mario Tennis :\

Tyeforce

I'll definitely be picking this up because it's full-featured like Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's got Miis, StreetPass, online play, Download Play, QR codes, gyro controls, etc. That makes it a must-have in my book.

TrueBlue

Gonna wait until more GAF users get their hands on this before making a judgement. A 7/10 game, while disappointing, isn't the end of the world for when the price drops.

zroid

Banned
Considering it is just a mini-game, that would last way too long unless the screen scrolling gets into speed runner territory.

It should have been more than just a mini-game. Super Mario Tennis could have been a game-seller. It's more interesting to me than any RPG-lite mode.

graywolf323

I'll definitely be picking this up because it's full-featured like Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's got Miis, StreetPass, online play, Download Play, QR codes, gyro controls, etc. That makes it a must-have in my book.

that's what you call full featured?

I wish they would put out a demo of it, that's all I would need until it drops in price.

It's just sad to hear they didn't put too much into it. Maybe it's time to get Mario Tennis on GBA.

Tyeforce

that's what you call full featured?
It supports all the major features of the 3DS, so, yeah, that's what I call full-featured. There could be more content in the game, sure, but with so few 3DS games actually supporting all of the 3DS's capabilities, when one comes along that does it's kind of a big deal to me. Especially because I run a StreetPass group, so connectivity in games is really important to me, and Mario Tennis Open nails that department.

Reviewers always eat Mario sports titles alive, basing that this game sucks off these reviews is a pretty bad idea given that reviewers mixed up scores with Mario Kart 7 and the like in the past.

Dammit, shame to hear this sucks. I don't care about gimmicks or online and still they drop the ball. Camelot isn't what they used to be, sadly.

2010 GOTY Hot Shots Tennis will apparently go onward as the best portable sports game yet.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well I've had the game for 5 days, what do you wanna know?*

Haven't played online yet.

Reviewers always eat Mario sports titles alive, basing that this game sucks off these reviews is a pretty bad idea given that reviewers mixed up scores with Mario Kart 7 and the like in the past.

iLDXUcwoCIxcr.png

Mario power tennis is 81.05%

Mario tennis games tend to score pretty well besides this one and that shitty wii port of gcn one.

Mario tennis games tend to score pretty well besides this one and that shitty wii port of gcn one.

All I see is reviewers scoring nostalgia and used formula's less and less. It's the closest we'll be getting to N64 Mario Tennis because that was barebones too. Personally all I want to do is just beat people online with ridiculous shots and relaxing fun. All I see from reviews in these cases is them putting a sentence or two about how "Mario Kart is Mario Kart", "Pokemon is Pokemon", "Zelda is Zelda" and with every review they're deducting points more and more. This is the point where I stop listening and start playing because these are no longer reviews, these are agendas.

All I see is reviewers scoring nostalgia and used formula's less and less. It's the closest we'll be getting to N64 Mario Tennis because that was barebones too. Personally all I want to do is just beat people online with ridiculous shots and relaxing fun. All I see from reviews in these cases is them putting a sentence or two about how "Mario Kart is Mario Kart", "Pokemon is Pokemon", "Zelda is Zelda" and with every review they're deducting points more and more. This is the point where I stop listening and start playing because these are no longer reviews, these are agendas.

errr.... I can see your point if mario tennis 3ds was scoring 9s or w/e with the same written stuff, but this game been averaging 70's.

And for the most part this game is n64 mario tennis but with a gimmicky mandatory power shot thing.

And for the most part this game is n64 mario tennis but with a gimmicky mandatory power shot thing.

If I recall, a review mentions that the shot marked on the Court isn't the mandatory choice. It's just recommended against expert CPUs because they're all mighty and fake outs won't phase them. However, Online you can go into the marker and do an entirely different shot to what the marker implies and totally confuse Human players.

Reading these posts and looking at reviews made me have second thoughts about this game. But, I'm still buying it and I hope it's fun.

This'll be one of those games where reviews will 'meh' it but it'll be a blast to play. Kind of like Custom Robo: Arena, Starfox Command or Metroid Prime Hunters. The online was fun, the singleplayer was avoidable.

This'll be one of those games where reviews will 'meh' it but it'll be a blast to play. Kind of like Custom Robo: Arena, Starfox Command or Metroid Prime Hunters. The online was fun, the singleplayer was avoidable.

Mario Tennis Open is a game that's meant to be played online, just like Mario Tennis 64 was meant to be played with friends.

This game is not in any way a sequel to the previous handheld Mario Tennis games. More people need to understand that concept.

Jintor

If I recall, a review mentions that the shot marked on the Court isn't the mandatory choice. It's just recommended against expert CPUs because they're all mighty and fake outs won't phase them. However, Online you can go into the marker and do an entirely different shot to what the marker implies and totally confuse Human players.

Yeah, this is fun and awesome. Especially playing against people that were clearly just hitting 'x for simple shots' to get through the singleplayer.

Lag is biting though :/

Jintor

With one particular dude I was playing with I was getting sliiiiiiiiideshooooooooooow lag. Just seemed to be that guy though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This is the worst Secret Character Roster in any Mario Sports game. :(

Luma is the only cool one, really, and that's being generous

Top Bottom