• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo patent application - Nintendo NX related?

Banned
IGN reported on the patent sourcing GAF. They think it's only going to have two face buttons and they seem pretty adamant on their early 2016 release (with manufacturing starting in October this year?)
http://youtu.be/kCc7SR0l23I

:(
Lol IGN. The patent specified the location of where the face buttons will be but the actual image only had two buttons drawn on it to save time. It's a quick sketch. Don't look at the image and assume the layout and quantity of buttons is exactly like the picture.

Clickable shoulder wheels is a genius idea, why hasn't anyone thought of it before?
We have been doing this, even of GAF. Here's another example of an observation regarding the lack of added functionality to the bumpers through out the years:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=176272095

refreshment.01 said:
In this sense a clickable trackpad would also be more functional than plain old bumper buttons since the user has a wider range of actions available to them at any given time, like gestures for example.

Btw, im not proposing the remove of triggers. i think is plausible to acomodate the trackpad and 2 triggers (but more laid to the back than we are used to) while retaining more or less the same ergonomics and sizes we have these days in traditional controllers.

In the thread there are multiple sugegstions that are making their way into controllers, specially the Steam one since it's engineered to take a traditional thumb operated controller and add as much functionality as possible.

In that sense it would be wise for Nintendo to bring back the click functionality to triggers if they chose to use them again for their next round of home consoles.

Punks

Sony and Microsoft's answer to this patent will be to include index analog sticks into the shoulder buttons for their next gen controllers. It's the next logical step.

Sony and Microsoft's answer to this patent will be to include index analog sticks into the shoulder buttons for their next gen controllers. It's the next logical step.
It is a possibility Punks but i don't think so.

Thumbsticks would gradually become like the Dpad, relegated to more specific functions. To better explain, thumbsticks would be retained mainly for movement/traversal in 3D environments. Like the Dpad was retained mainly for 2D navigation or relegated to item/menu selection.

Since 2006 developers had at their disposal more accurate ways to aim or manipulate a cursor in 2D/3D space. Also, an index finger isn't as dextrous as a thumb to operate a stick anyway, so why add a new stick for that when you can accomodate things that have more functionality or are more accurate instead?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Lol IGN. The patent specified the location of where the face buttons will be but the actual image only had two buttons drawn on it to save time. It's a quick sketch. Don't look at the image and assume the layout and quantity of buttons is exactly like the picture.

Even though it may not be finalized at all - if you study a good portion of patents from Nintendo - they are usually representative of the working model and not "just a quick random sketch".

I want a Wonderful 101 sequel using this tech that just lets me flick the wheel to scroll through various unite forms.

It's things like this that make it sounds like such a good idea. A scroll wheel is fundamental for PC-gaming, why not introduce it to a controller as well?

Dyle

Combining a scroll wheel and a shoulder button would be super useful and I hope Nintendo actually uses it. Playing Super Mario Maker has reminded me how little you can do with only one hand. If I could scroll through all of the tools with the L button I would probably be able to save a ton of time navigating the level editor.

Shang

Trying to imagine driving/shooting with these shoulder buttons. Doesn't seem feasible, or at least fun. Maybe I'm just not fully understanding what these are supposed to be.

Clefargle

Even though it may not be finalized at all - if you study a good portion of patents from Nintendo - they are usually representative of the working model and not "just a quick random sketch".

But the number of buttons isn't a claim. Each buttons functionality is a claim. ( A = confirm, B = back) In this case, the patents claims cover a bunch of features on the controller. But the number of face buttons isn't specified meaning it could be any amount. This is just for illustrative purposes.

As much as I can believe Nintendo would go back to a simplified control scheme, it presents some problems that I don't think they can overcome.

No SNES VC on the handheld?
Scaling back on face buttons after two generations of DS? What about DS ports/sequels?

Then again, they could be making a complete change in direction. Their competition for the portable is tablets and smart phones. Any amount of physical buttons gives them a control advantage.

As much as I can believe Nintendo would go back to a simplified control scheme, it presents some problems that I don't think they can overcome.

Scaling back on face buttons after two generations of DS? What about DS ports/sequels?

Then again, they could be making a complete change in direction. Their competition for the portable is tablets and smart phones. Any amount of physical buttons gives them a control advantage.
As mentioned before, the two buttons on the patent probably refer to the fact that the systems has buttons in that location rather than it only having 2

KingBroly

Banned

Their previous patent mentions BC, so it's probably just a sketch.

Clefargle

As mentioned before, the two buttons on the patent probably refer to the fact that the systems has buttons in that location rather than it only having 2

Exactly. Patent applications are written for laymen and reviews by patent experts. They may understand electronic diagrams, but they probably don't readily understand the history of button layouts on controllers. These diagrams represent functional abstractions to help illustrate claims. They do not necessarily reflect any level of finalized hardware.

Oh, I'm well aware that the button config isn't one of the claims. Just exploring the possibility. It seems taken for granted that Nintendo will be going with a somewhat standard control scheme, and their moves w/ Wii U and new 3DS do seem to indicate that, but you never know.
Their previous patent mentions BC, so it's probably just a sketch.
I don't think any of the recently uncovered patents mention BC explicitly, but I'm open to being corrected on that.

Pokemaniac

Oh, I'm well aware that the button config isn't one of the claims. Just exploring the possibility. It seems taken for granted that Nintendo will be going with a somewhat standard control scheme, and their moves w/ Wii U and new 3DS do seem to indicate that, but you never know.

I don't think any of the recently uncovered patents mention BC explicitly, but I'm open to being corrected on that.

Wasn't one of them related to regulating I/O speed? BC is one the main reasons you'd want to do something like that.

Or triples as a smart phone and quadruples as a Wiimote too!

I'm crazy.
EDIT:I like your Spectreman avatar.

I know you are being sarcastic but just in case I think they are done with Wiimote.

PS: ahah I am suprised that you know my avatar, you must be pretty old too then XD. I 'stole' it from the internet. They also have a fun Dr Gori version.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, this concept sounds like it could have several great gaming (and non gaming) applications, especially by reading Taker666's posts highlighting specific passages of the patent. And it is indeed one of those cases of "Why did no one think about it before?".

Here's some of the uses I've thought about (probably, you thought about most of them as well XD)

Gaming uses

- Quick items selection. It's something that many users thought already, but it's also one of the most obvious. It could be combined with a possible bottom touch screen (if there's going to be a bottom touch screen again): that contains a few items, making it possible to put there maps / other actions / specific options, while rotating shoulders help for a more in-depth selection. For a game like Monster Hunter, it'd be a gift from Gods
- Rolling / dodging: thanks to the spin, the player could actually regulate the intensity of the movement. A slow spin would mean a slow dodge, while a quicker one would mean a quicker dodge. Giving more depth to a combat system without needing to use way too many buttons to perform an action, and making it more natural to execute after all.
- Zoom and focus with cameras: if a game has the character using a camera, both wheels would make much more natural its use: one shoulder for Zoom, the other for Focus
- In-game actions requiring objects to be spinned: like specific platforms that need to be rotated, like wheels opening doors / safes
- Racing games: as said by others, for adjusting the pov or as mini-wheels
- Sport games: for example, in a basketball game, by spinning them in the right way, you can shoot good free throws. Other possibility: using them to pass the ball and to give it a specific effect
- Easy menu scrolling

Non-gaming uses

- Zoom and focus for the camera: well, if it works in game, why shouldn't it in the real life? It'd be very immediate to use for sure for both functions
- Easy web pages scrolling / zooming. They could also be connected to a "boomarks" listings, where the most frequented pages are located

These are the first uses I came up with. Surely, there are many more of them :p

Top Bottom