• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

If you want to cheat to finish the game fast, sure, not really different than with other games.

That's true only as long as there is no community aspect to it that could be spoiled for others. I hope the game has enough merit on his own mechanics, gameplay, fighting, trading etc that this won't harm the overall enjoyment.

Having that goal and working towards it can be a great motivation after you've already dug in deep into the game and are no longer surprised by the planets around you. It would be bad if that was taken ayway early on imo.

KeRaSh

Uhh exactly, that's why I said people are expecting something it's not. A lot of gamers probably knew exactly what it was. However after Sony pumped it up and every outlet brought hype levels to max, the average gamer came in expecting something more. Typically a game like this is more of a niche title.

How did Sony pump it up? They've let the developer demo it for 3 minutes and everyone hated it because "there's nothing to do in the game". Just look at the first page of the thread from the E3 demo.
Flop is a vague word and I've seen discussions about that kind of stuff before and I'm not looking for that but the way I see it is people who are interested in what they already know about the game will buy it and will probably enjoy it.
Those who are already dismissing it are not going to be swayed by Sony Marketing (which I think is still only focussed at core games, no mass appeal commercials or stuff like that for the moment) and will obviously not buy it.
That being said I still think they will make money with NMS and if the game is nothing more than what we already know and it performs well enough there's no reason to believe it will flop in the review score department.

tl;dr: I don't think it will flop but that depends on what you consider a flop...

I'm calling it right now: they are underselling that you will never see another soul in order to surprise you. I bet that the closer you get the center of the galaxy, you're gonna start having to deal with other explorers fucking with the same planets you are on.

In other news, it sure seems like people itt are going out of their way to proclaim the shittiness of this game and how little fun other people(other people, not even them!) are gonna have in the game. As far as I'm concerned a 3-D Starbound sounds absolutely incredible.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Uggg, like Minecraft, I'm out.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I do not get Minecraft, AT ALL.

farming materials doesn't make it a Minecraft game...

Every game has its core play... this game is farming and discovering things to sell and improve your hyper drive to explore more and more...

The problem I see is that this doesn't seem to have any story witch means is an endless loop of farming/upgrading/exploring

I fear this game will end being a PS4 Proteus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ZjC_q3QME

Sblargh

Banned
They have said that space is so big that you may ever cross with another player...

The problem it may have is that if the planets are randomly generated the first time you visit one... the database they should have to rule a universe should be infinite... 'cause you or anyone may land in a planet previously discovered... and that planet must be loaded and not random generated...

It's not randomly generated, we say "randomly" because we can't predict all the variables, but everyone generates the galaxy according to the same rules, therefore every planet will be equally generated among different players.

See, this is one reason why I love the concept of this game. I just described transcedental idealism.

How did Sony pump it up? They've let the developer demo it for 3 minutes and everyone hated it because "there's nothing to do in the game". Just look at the first page of the thread from the E3 demo.
Flop is a vague word and I've seen discussions about that kind of stuff before and I'm not looking for that but the way I see it is people who are interested in what they already know about the game will buy it and will probably enjoy it.
Those who are already dismissing it are not going to be swayed by Sony Marketing (which I think is still only focussed at core games, no mass appeal commercials or stuff like that for the moment) and will obviously not buy it.
That being said I still think they will make money with NMS and if the game is nothing more than what we already know and it performs well enough there's no reason to believe it will flop in the review score department.

tl;dr: I don't think it will flop but that depends on what you consider a flop...

Sean Murray appeared to be concerned with how the game is presented at the moment (commenting on the E3 trailer). He seems afraid that the presentation could hype expectations to unreasonable levels and that people could be disappointed because of that in the end.
I'm sure it will be worth it when it comes to sales numbers but I can understand him.

KarmaCow

Speaking of the center of the galaxy, have they said anything about taking into account astrophysical phenomenon when generating planets? For example the stars near the center of the galaxies are highly energetic bodies and with things being so densely populated, everything in that area is flooded with radiation. Does that affect say life on those planets or is each planet essentially sandboxed?

It's not randomly generated, we say "randomly" because we can't predict all the variables, but everyone generates the galaxy according to the same rules, therefore every planet will be equally generated among different players.

See, this is one reason why I love the concept of this game. I just described transcedental idealism.

Random is the wrong word but doesn't the server need to take into account what each player does to the planet? Like if Player A digs a hole, Player B later should see that? Player A's actions can't be independently predicted and extrapolated from the initial seed.

Walpurgis

Banned

It is randomly generated. Instead of randomly generating a different universe for everyone though, we all play in the same randomly generated universe. They do this by reducing the game code to a formulae where different variables can be plugged in.

edit: Nevermind, I get what you're saying. What I wrote isn't random.

Sblargh

Banned
Speaking of the center of the galaxy, have they said anything about taking into account astrophysical phenomenon when generating planets? For example the stars near the center of the galaxies are highly energetic bodies and with things being so densely populated, everything in that area is flooded with radiation. Does that affect say life on those planets or is each planet essentially sandboxed?

I don't think they said anything about that specifically, but there are astrophysics involved, some quotes from here

How planets are created will be based on some simple rules. For example, the distance from the sun will determine the likeliness of there being moisture. The type of sun (Yellow Sun, Red Dwarf, Red Giant etc) will affect the quality of light on the planets. The colour of the water in the atmosphere will derive from what liquid it is. MIT Tech Review

but then, there's also:

Currently, planets have a single biome across the entire surface (Game Informer January 2015 Edition)

There will be weather on planets, but it'll probably always be the same on that planet. So if you see rain on a planet, then you're probably on a rainy planet, and it probably rains there pretty much all the time. Game Informer

And to answer your post-edit question:

I don't know. People are saying that what you do affects other players only if you do it in a large enough scale (for example, causing the extinction of an entire race).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I think it could ultimately succumb to mass criticism and bad word of mouth. Is that the worst thing? No, but I think the fan response will be negative, should've made that more clear, although I did say that I think it will sell fine in my original post.

Also being part of back to back e3s, talking it up, etc. Is a pretty big deal if you didn't know. They also said they're "treating it like a first party game" and were constantly glowing about it, soooooooo...?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm ready to see this in action, firsthand. I want to see some of what you can craft. I want to see how you make ships. I want to see some of the dangerous creatures. I want to see what happens when I wreck my ship on a planet. Can I forage for items to fix it? I want to see intelligent life.

I've watched the trailer twice and I feel like that was enough to sell me on it.

KarmaCow

I don't think they said anything about that specifically, but there are astrophysics involved, some quotes from here

I don't know. People are saying that what you do affects other players only if you do it in a large enough scale (for example, causing the extinction of an entire race).

I hope there are more unique relationships than basic star type and orbital distance. Like imagine a planet's core that is active because it is being gravitational rended as it orbits its host binary stars or even stuff like Mercury so that is tidally locked with the star, with one side burning and the other side freezing.

Also my example is probably too minute to reasonable track if planets are planet sized across billions of planets but the server does affect how a world will look to subsequent players.

KeRaSh

I think it could ultimately succumb to mass criticism and bad word of mouth. Is that the worst thing? No, but I think the fan response will be negative, should've made that more clear, although I did say that I think it will sell fine in my original post.

I don't think fan response will be particularly bad. It seems to me that people who dislike the game are voicing their opinions more so than people who seem to like what they see. Therefore word of mouth might be bad because people read a lot of negative opinions about it while fans are enjoying the game.
It's too early to tell, though. It'll be interesting. :)

Also being part of back to back e3s, talking it up, etc. Is a pretty big deal if you didn't know. They also said they're "treating it like a first party game" and were constantly glowing about it, soooooooo...?

Oh that's where I misuderstood you. Yes, I agree. Sony is definitely pushing NMS as the next big Indie thing but that push is mainly directed at "core" gamers for now. There's no public push going on right now and there's no need for it since it's still too early. However, I don't think it will get a huge AAA push with commercials during primetime TV or in theaters. I could be totally wrong. We don't know what Sony has planned. Who knows? It could be the next Minecraft or at least Sony sees it that way.
If they hype it like that and maybe even mislead people then there could be a tremendous backlash. I really don't see them doing that, though. They might give it a big push but if the public thinks it looks boring then the only real consequence will be Sony wasting a lot of marketing money.

Sblargh

Banned
I hope there are more unique relationships than basic star type and orbital distance. Like imagine a planet's core that is active because it is being gravitational rended as it orbits its host binary stars or even stuff like Mercury so that is tidally locked with the star, with one side burning and the other side freezing.

Also my example is probably too minute to reasonable track if planets are planet sized across billions of planets but the server does affect how a world will look to subsequent players.

I want to dream that the variables are vast, but yeah, I guess wait and see.

Also, I am beggining to suspect the multiplayer component of this game is significantly larger than what I think it is.

WanderingWind

I dunno. This is one game where I feel my age is working for me. Normally, The Next Big Thing come across as derivative to me, because normally it's a rehash of something. Not that that is a bad thing, or that it's not my own grumpiness that makes me feel that way.

But this one is hard to pin down and I sort of like that feeling. And I have waited for the day when I can really get the feeling of jumping into my Not An X-Wing and soar off through the atmosphere, jump to an ice planet and land on it with no loading screens or menus. That alone made this a game I was going to purchase.

I'd love to be a beta tester for this one, that's for sure.

I feel for Sean Murray. This culture of needing every single element of a game spelled out to people in a clear and gamified way has to be killing him. The spirit of true science fiction exploration "Go where no man has gone before" is dead. Everyone needs everything to have a point, and a meaning, and a clear defined goal, and some huge lore attached to it, and levels to attain, and experience points to makes bars grow. It's too bad.

Very true. The idea of space exploration is dead amongst our generation.

10 years ago, we'd have marveled at the ability to simulate an entire universe for exploration. That's such a feat in and of itself.

I'd have thought it would be pretty busy in the centre of the galaxy since that's where everyone is trying to get to

If I scattered 100,00 people (no of people playing the game for eg) across the centre of the galaxy the odds of them bumping into each other are astronomical. So no.

Also I bet match making is like Journey so even if you somehow got all people to gather on one planet they wouldn't all see each other at. Probably to not break the servers which makes sense.

Fonds

The second dude from the left is talking like he needs to sell a new religion to a bunch of heathens...

And it's really annoying me.

I totally get the dude that wants more information than "you get to explore".

Alienous

I feel for Sean Murray. This culture of needing every single element of a game spelled out to people in a clear and gamified way has to be killing him. The spirit of true science fiction exploration "Go where no man has gone before" is dead. Everyone needs everything to have a point, and a meaning, and a clear defined goal, and some huge lore attached to it, and levels to attain, and experience points to makes bars grow. It's too bad.

At the same time, I do think this is the last time they can show up at a show with what's basically the same demo because people are already starting to turn on the game. I think they should do dark and not pop back up until announcing an imminent release date, like a few weeks prior to it coming out.

I have no sympathy. He has expounded Peter Molyneux like promises of features like combat and crafting and sharing a world with other players, and shown what? The same demo + the destruction of a conveniently placed rock formation, and (again) no combat.

The game is making a lot of cheques with its mouth that its ass isn't cashing. I haven't seen a single thing that goes from being a nice demo of technology to an insight of the core gameplay of the game, the gameplay that is constantly promised (the combat, the economy, ship upgrades etc). I'm sure many would be fine with the game being exactly what is being shown, but that's only a fraction of what they've been promising.

Evantist

Since hunting the wildlife for resources is a gameplay option, I hope that I'll some way to preserve wildlife, or introduce a species to another planet. I'll totally place the Purple Ram that GT's hosts saw in every planet I find, zerg style.

KarmaCow

The second dude from the left is talking like he needs to sell a new religion to a bunch of heathens...

Yea it's pretty dumb the way they act that asking what you can do in the game beyond walk around makes you a philistine. The way they are so baffled about the question of upgrading is so bizarre, it's not an unreasonable question. It could physically crafting ship parts from resources or collecting money to buy better ships from a nebulous vendor, the difference between the two is so vast. It's like being disgusted about someone asking if blocks in Minecraft are affected by gravity.

danowat

Banned
Can't be age-related. I'm 42 and this game is the best reimagining of Elite & Elite 2 possible IMO.

It's the whole "do what you want, no narrative" thing I can't get my head around with games like Minecraft and Terraria, it's not that I am an unimaginative player, it's just that I need some driving factor, at least a slim piece of narrative force to push me along.

Even Elite has a slim narrative, the goal to become "Elite", it's something to drive towards, I can't (correct me if I am wrong), see any goal or driving force in NMS at all?

zero86r

So I guess we are gonna be seeing a whole bunch of planets renamed after genitalia with its flora and fauna following suit.

What a time to be alive.

WanderingWind

I'm excited too, but that was exactly how that guy came across to me too. It got a little culty when he was like 'you have to meet him to understand.' I mean, the guy on the left says he's a journalist. Assuming that's true, it's absolutely his job to ask and 'the game is whatever you want it to be' isn't an answer.

How do you upgrade stuff? Is it you take the resources and sell them in a menu and open up a new menu to upgrade the ship? Are resources limited? What types of things can you create? Can you build structures? These are questions that, as a gaming journalist, are completely valid to ask. I certainly would ask them too.

As a consumer, those questions are important, but I can wait to discover those. 'The game is what you make of it' is a perfectly valid response to some consumers. As a journalist, of course you shouldn't be okay with that response.

KeRaSh

Really? I think it's the exact opposite. The guy on the left is losing his mind because he doesn't know everything about a game that still has no release date. Someone mentioned it earlier that nowdays people are used to knowing every little detail about a game before it is released. I think it's a nice change of pace to have a little mystery left.

People go on insane media blockouts for some games and then people complain about not knowing everything about another game. It's so weird.

We know next to nothing about The Last Guardian and people are reacting completely different about that. For all we know it could be a set of small puzzles like in the E3 demo that can be selected from a list in the main menu, right?
Maybe the guy is a journalist and it's his job to ask questions but he's going crazy of not knowing things. Maybe the developers don't want to spoil everything or don't want to disclose features that aren't final yet. Why can't he just wait for them to talk about the things when they are ready? His reaction is like that of a spoiled child.

Oppo

I have no sympathy. He has expounded Peter Molyneux like promises of features like combat and crafting and sharing a world with other players, and shown what? The same demo + the destruction of a conveniently placed rock formation, and (again) no combat.

The game is making a lot of cheques with its mouth that its ass isn't cashing. I haven't seen a single thing that goes from being a nice demo of technology to an insight of the core gameplay of the game, the gameplay that is constantly promised (the combat, the economy, ship upgrades etc). I'm sure many would be fine with the game being exactly what is being shown, but that's only a fraction of what they've been promising.
Christ. some of you are too much.

Molyneux??

how about we let this company ship their game first, yeah?

seriously weird air around this title, it's not even that mysterious, what it is. baffled.

Alienous

Christ. some of you are too much.

Molyneux??

how about we let this company ship their game first, yeah?

seriously weird air around this title, it's not even that mysterious, what it is. baffled.

Why? That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

KiraXD

I'm excited too, but that was exactly how that guy came across to me too. It got a little culty when he was like 'you have to meet him to understand.' I mean, the guy on the left says he's a journalist. Assuming that's true, it's absolutely his job to ask and 'the game is whatever you want it to be' isn't an answer.

How do you upgrade stuff? Is it you take the resources and sell them in a menu and open up a new menu to upgrade the ship? Are resources limited? What types of things can you create? Can you build structures? These are questions that, as a gaming journalist, are completely valid to ask. I certainly would ask them too.

As a consumer, those questions are important, but I can wait to discover those. 'The game is what you make of it' is a perfectly valid response to some consumers. As a journalist, of course you shouldn't be okay with that response.

i understand what the main guy talking is saying though...

Murray doesnt want to spoil the game for people... he shows some stuff and wants the players to DISCOVER what they are doing. thats pretty fucking admirable. in this day and age where we're force fed game trailers and game info at microscopic levels years ahead of release.... something like this that remains MYSTERIOUS all the way until launch... and have secrets to be found throughout as the driving force behind it... THAT RIGHT THERE sells me on the game. Im so excited to experience this game for myself.... figure out what IM GONNA DO in it, and instead of trying to avoid spoilers online... i wont have to because Sean Murray just isnt SPOILING it at all in the first place.

That sense of Wonder and Exploration and finding things myself... im so hyped to get that from a game. that feeling is so rare these days.

Sounds exactly what I expected it to be if I'm honest. And I'm totally cool with that. It's a perfect game to sit back and relax for a couple of hours after a shit day at work and just lose yourself :) Don't expect some mega deep gameplay here.

Ya that's how I felt as well. The game looks great, especially the new mining tool, but I really want to know if planets are just for exploring and stripping or if their is gear, weapons, and items you can craft for your travels around the planets. They don't need to show me everything that comes from it just that something does. In minecraft before I got it I knew i was gonna be able to craft weapons and armor to defend myself from the enemies around me I didn't know what but I know I could. That's all I really want to know what I can do because you can say I have tons of things to do but if you keep showing the same things I'm gonna wonder were all these things are.

Evantist

It's the whole "do what you want, no narrative" thing I can't get my head around with games like Minecraft and Terraria, it's not that I am an unimaginative player, it's just that I need some driving factor, at least a slim piece of narrative force to push me along.

Even Elite has a slim narrative, the goal to become "Elite", it's something to drive towards, I can't (correct me if I am wrong), see any goal or driving force in NMS at all?

The goal is to reach to the center of the universe from where you start out. It's the equivalent of reaching to the top of a tall tower, or reaching to Mount Doom. To get to the fabled destination, you need your hyperdrive, which dictates your ship jump distance, thus limiting your navigation options. Naturally, you'll need better hyperdrive, which requires resources. Chances are you need your trusty weapon to acquire much of the required resources. As hyperdrive becomes more advanced, its requirement becomes stricter, which should motivate the player to try to acquire resources for better weaponry as well.

So for conventional progression, you'll have this loop "acquire resources for your hyperdrive/weapon, jump to new solar systems and meet new challenges, acquire resources for your next hyperdrive/weapon".

Of course, personally the real draw of this game is the chance to discover exotic planets and go where no one has gone before. Wouldn't that be something?

kiguel182

At this point my biggest concern is with the lore of the game. I hope they have enough clues for us to figure stuff out and a bunch of ancient stuff to wonder and look at.

So far this has a ton of potential even with all the "but what do you do?!" people's comments.

And it's still amazing how the comments don't slow down the more they show it. That GT guy was really getting on my nerves. "You mine resources and upgrade the ship" "Yes, but how? *looking confused*" At his point some people just want to make that argument without any basis at all.

WanderingWind

i understand what the main guy talking is saying though...

Murray doesnt want to spoil the game for people... he shows some stuff and wants the players to DISCOVER what they are doing. thats pretty fucking admirable. in this day and age where we're force fed game trailers and game info at microscopic levels years ahead of release.... something like this that remains MYSTERIOUS all the way until launch... and have secrets to be found throughout as the driving force behind it... THAT RIGHT THERE sells me on the game. Im so excited to experience this game for myself.... figure out what IM GONNA DO in it, and instead of trying to avoid spoilers online... i wont have to because Sean Murray just isnt SPOILING it at all in the first place.

That sense of Wonder and Exploration and finding things myself... im so hyped to get that from a game. that feeling is so rare these days.

For sure. I'm a journalist and a decades long gaming fan. I see it from both sides. As a fan, the game and Murray's approach intrigue me. As a journalist, I totally see why that guy wanted to know more. It's sort of what he gets paid for, and considering the amount of people who want to know more, he's not wrong. That's not to say your point of view is wrong, either.

Oppo

Why? That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

i don't intend to spar with you over this. but you accused them of over promising on a thing that isn't out. that's exactly what you did. ass cheques. etc.

if you can't figure out how the game works, that's on you. there's tons of footage out there showing multiple game systems.

danowat

Banned
The goal is to reach to the center of the universe from where you start out. It's the equivalent of reaching to the top of a tall tower, or reaching to Mount Doom. To get to the fabled destination, you need your hyperdrive, which dictates your ship jump distance, thus limiting your navigation options. Naturally, you'll need better hyperdrive, which requires resources. Chances are you need your trusty weapon to acquire much of the required resources. As hyperdrive becomes more advanced, its requirement becomes stricter, which should motivate the player to try to acquire resources for better weaponry as well.

So for conventional progression, you'll have this loop "acquire resources for your hyperdrive/weapon, jump to new solar systems and meet new challenges, acquire resources for your next hyperdrive/weapon".

Of course, personally the real draw of this game is the chance to discover exotic planets and go where no one has gone before. Wouldn't that be something?

Many thanks for that post, food for thought, maybe I discounted it too quickly.........

kyser73

The overall goal is to reach the centre of the galaxy and confront what lies there.

It's like going to the Moon. Getting there is awesome and it's quite an achievement. But once you're up there and you notice that there's really nothing for you to do other than running around, you'll get bored very, very quickly.

I think most developers understand that there's an issue with this whole thing, cause creating procedurally generated environments is nothing new - the problem has always been how to actually fit any 'design' in there that keeps players entertained. And of that, we've seen close to nothing yet. Games that are just procedurally generated that don't have any real game design / interaction tend to just grow old very, very quickly (See Proteus). The promise is great, the reality isn't.

Building a big area that you just walk around in is just not fun. On top of that, the planets we've seen so far all look completely similar, except for some of the colors. Yes, it'd be great if all the planets would look different and if there'd be new things to interact with, but what we've seen this year again has basically been the exact same demo we've seen over the last 2 years and if a developer doesn't show any gameplay, there's just a very, very good chance that there isn't any. Yes, you can tell yourself that Murray wants to keep it all mysterious and surprise everyone, but as a skeptic dev who spends almost every hour of the day on design, I just have to be critical over 'Oh, it's all procedurally generated and it'll be fun' - History told us otherwise, so it remains to be seen.

The biggest issue I see so far is that they've always just shown the same things during the demos. I don't even doubt that it should be fairly easy to put simple, yet addictive gameplay hooks in there that'd keep you going. But they haven't shown anything, so obviously people remain skeptical.

cHinzo

When the line "do whatever you want" keeps getting thrown around to sell this game I expect to be able to do whatever I want.

We won't know if the game is shit or not until it comes out....but it doesn't seem like the actual gameplay will be fun.

Hope you enjoy it. I am going to wait and see with this one.
They should just show us what we can do in the game, instead of telling what us what we are suppose to do. Showing similar stuff for two years in a row isn't really helping either. Yes it does look wonderful, but also a bit dull. Gonna wait too and see how this game turns out. Would have loved having some soet of party system or co-op though, so I can explore the universe with some friends, since there is no really meaningful narrative anyway.

Top Bottom