• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) tore down - consumes 26W less at load, 5 dB quieter on avg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The design of the white CUH-1200 just looks amazing, so now that we have confirmation that it's quieter, I'll be swapping out my current PS4 for one of these.

No. It because the ps4 has to keep the ram powered. While they are likely some other changes that help. This is the biggest change.
50% ram chips almost 50% less power in standby.

It is 50% less chips but the same number of overall bits. They run at the same rate and same voltage. There will be some overhead for the extra chips, sure, but it would not be that significant.

Former process engineer/ current test/product engineer.

The power consumption reduction is likely not due to a process change. The leakage improvement is primarily due to more efficient chips using better clock and power gating techniques. Looks like Sony is getting rev01 chips from their suppliers who did minor redesigns to improve standby current.

Generally, high quality dc/dc converters will consume less than 1uA of current in standby mode. This means the internal references on these chips are "turned" off under some form of crude UVLO (undervoltage lockout) circuitry that is lower that the true UVLO for the chip.

As for package size, you can in fact put a smaller chip in a package (most of these are chip scale or quad flat no lead packages). The concern is that while the die gets smaller, the copper/gold wires from the chip bond pads increase in length in order to be correctly bonded to the leadframes. This can cause reliability issues if process is not carefully controlled (typically shorts between wires).

Not sure I understand your point about bond wires, as this is flip-chip.

Sony must have not wanted to do a full blown fresh HTOL or characterization to get their hw to the market faster. I expect the next revision will be a pretty significant shrink.

Owzers

Yeah, this. Surprised some people are talking about swapping out their original model for this relatively minor update.

Yep, i can wait. Although if some amazing limited edition ps4 bundle comes out with this minor revision i might cave before the the slim.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, this. Surprised some people are talking about swapping out their original model for this relatively minor update.

Well, it's mostly because I really like the current design, particulary now that they've gotten rid of the gloss nonsense. They took care of the noise issue, so really, what's left for me to want from a Slim revision? This is the thing I want right here.

prag16

Banned
Nope, never did.

Be happy the PS4 has Wireless N. Because the PS3 still doesnt.
Lack of 5ghz support is a big bummer. Was a bummer on Wii U too, but they have the excuse of the gamepad using that band. What's Sony's excuse.

Dazza

Nice improvements. Will be interesting with the next revision.

Has anyone tested load times with an SSD? They removed the usb3 to SATA 3 bridge right? Though I think the bottleneck is in the encryption and decryption process

Lack of 5ghz support is a big bummer. Was a bummer on Wii U too, but they have the excuse of the gamepad using that band. What's Sony's excuse.

If you're really concerned about speed/latency you would use wired connection regardless of the wireless technology available today. I know it might be unrealistic if your modem/router is far away, but the argument can go both ways. The further away you're from the router, the weaker and slower the wireless connection. It's always going to come down to compromises unfortunately.

edit: Sony is the type of company that doesn't like to add features to their PlayStation hardware. If you look at the iterations of the PS3 over the years, you would notice that they never changed anything fundamental over the old hardware apart from the form factor and efficiency(in fact some non essential features were dropped because of the financial problems of the PS3). A wireless AC/5GHZ would never be added to the PS4 if you look at how they handle upgrades.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Now time for at least a $50 holiday price drop.

Secondary processor probably runs all the security shit too. It's entirely possible that it's deliberately offloading risky activities to the main cpu, to minimise it's exposure to the next iteration of geohot. It's not like it spends that much time in suspend+download mode.

crinale

Nice improvements. Will be interesting with the next revision.

Has anyone tested load times with an SSD? They removed the usb3 to SATA 3 bridge right? Though I think the bottleneck is in the encryption and decryption process

This is the item interests me the most at this moment.

xtradi

Banned
I am still amazed that an ARM chip with 256MB Ram can't handle a HTTP(S) download. How far into the past do you have to go to find a chip that is that weak? Even the Cortex-M0 can do that.

Probably because the game data is not needed to be installed after downloaded, so the download process not just store the game data to HDD but also encode it so it can launch after download finish. The process of installing happen while downloading.

64Gb GGDR5 MEGATON!!!!!
=P

That is different capacity than what you mean. 8 bit is 1 Bytes so 64 Gigabit is 8 GigaBytes.

Might seem like an odd question but can you buy a new model and just switch hard drives around without having to re download everything?

(Having to format to the new system)

hesido

It shouldn't be hard to use an ARM chip as a programmable I/O controller that manages access to hard drive, blu-ray and network on a block level and lower network level respectively. However, in order to actually write files autonomously, the chip would have to be in charge of managing the file system. And here begin issues with OS design, since the Kernel on the APU would have to delegate the file system to the secondary chip.
Thanks for the great insight.

since the Kernel on the APU would have to delegate the file system to the secondary chip.
This is what I thought would be the case if the secondary chip was to download / upload / install files in standby, what problems would this create? Security?

joesiv

There are many significant changes, the most important going from clamshell mode GDDR5 (16 modules, sharing address/data lines in pairs) to non-clamshell with 8 modules. Power consumption has also dropped 26W from the launch model while playing a game.

The move to 8 8Gb GDDR5 modules was expected, but the drop in power consumption was perhaps not, especially since the reports noted that the package/die measurements stayed constant. Both sites correctly theorize that the reduction in GDDR5 modules plays into it, but that alone cannot explain the 26W load drop.
Do we know the models of the new memory versus old? Going from 16 modules to 8 is not insignificant, especially if the new modules are running at lower voltage, 1.35v versus 1.5 for example (I don't know btw). Hoe many watts do ddr5 memory modules typically consume?

Do we know the models of the new memory versus old? Going from 16 modules to 8 is not insignificant, especially if the new modules are running at lower voltage, 1.35v versus 1.5 for example (I don't know btw). Hoe many watts do ddr5 memory modules typically consume?

I link Samsung's catalog in the OP. They're the same package, same voltage, etc.

I couldn't find a good source for mW/bit, but we can assume it's between 10 and 20 watts. (I did find a good Hynix datasheet that gives current for different operating modes, but I don't know a good guesstimate for in game-use. 75% reads? 90%?)

prag16

Banned
If you're really concerned about speed/latency you would use wired connection regardless of the wireless technology available today.
I live in a condo complex with six billion 2.4 ghz networks in range, and only a couple 5 ghz. In my case, 5 ghz has cured ALL of my ills. (On devices that support it... which is everything I own other than WiiU/PS3, even devices several years old.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was planning to go out today to get a PS4, but I imagine I need to hold out. Any info on when these revisions will hit the states?

big_z

It would be nice if eurogamer took an older ps4 and replaced the thermal paste with arctic mx4 and then retested it to compare the noise level. The quality of the paste sony uses leaves a lot to be desired and seems to crap out over time. It could also factor into the noise difference when comparing it against the new units.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I live in a condo complex with six billion 2.4 ghz networks in range, and only a couple 5 ghz. In my case, 5 ghz has cured ALL of my ills. (On devices that support it... which is everything I own other than WiiU/PS3, even devices several years old.)

When I tried 5GHz I had to be so close to the router to get decent speeds that I might as well have wired them. Even just one wall killed the speed.

Do they do 5GHz wireless bridges? You could use one of those wired to the PS4?

We have a bunch of 2.4GHz wifi near us, but luckily there is a clear channel right in the middle of all that, that nobody noticed. So I'm using that (although most of my stuff is finally wired except phones, tablets and the bloody WiiU)

prag16

Banned
When I tried 5GHz I had to be so close to the router to get decent speeds that I might as well have wired them. Even just one wall killed the speed.

Do they do 5GHz wireless bridges? You could use one of those wired to the PS4?
I'm fine through two walls. Ping/speed identical to wired. Not sure on the bridges. Possibly something to look into when I get a PS4.

Vashetti

Banned
Well, it's mostly because I really like the current design, particulary now that they've gotten rid of the gloss nonsense. They took care of the noise issue, so really, what's left for me to want from a Slim revision? This is the thing I want right here.

This model will get louder over time too, the thermal paste will dry out just like launch units.

My launch model was whisper quiet but now sounds like a hairdryer on intensive games. Waiting for a Slim will ensure you get cooler hardware = quieter fans.

safichan

Banned
I'm getting this model. Already preorder it with Metal Gear Solid V Limited Console Bundle. Just about a right time.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I was planning to go out today to get a PS4, but I imagine I need to hold out. Any info on when these revisions will hit the states?
I think they were speculating around September for US.

I'm in the same boat, was just about to get a PS4 but if a significant revision is this close might as well wait just a bit longer.

Withnail

5db ain't nothin.

-5dB is a 70% reduction. :)

dB is a logarithmic scale, they're not like normal units.

I don't really believe these sound numbers anyway, probably using using a smartphone app.

Edit: it's almost -70% in power, -44% in sound pressure.

Defuso

Does the changes count for the 'new' 500GB (CUH-12xxA) model and for the 1TB (CUH-12xxB) model?

I thought the first reports said only the new 500GB model will get the new tech specs.

Griss

It's a nice boost, but nothing that would make an early adopter feel bad, so long as you got a PS4 with proper thermal paste.

Massa

Does the changes count for the 'new' 500GB (CUH-12xxA) model and for the 1TB (CUH-12xxB) model?

I thought the first reports said only the new 500GB model will get the new tech specs.

All 12xxx are new. The 1TB model they're releasing is a 11xxB, that's why it's the old specs.

DBT85

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are they comparing the new model against for sound? My launch PS4 was pretty noisy, but my white one is very quite. Seems like there is a lot of variation between individual units so I'd take one measurement with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom