• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New XCOM 2 previews/hands-ons

Tworak

Here's a video by ChristopherOdd that shows off all the new(totally secret till now. No one saw this coming) class' abilities.

Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png

Mupod

Did you watch the last XCOM 2 dev stream with him?

You can't stump the Frump.

Of course!
RIP

It's like they had Solomon locked up in a dungeon until recently and then we got a huge flood of dev gameplay and previews. Another wave of that sounds good to me, I just need to be careful not to spoil myself on every single damn alien unit again. But my hype is too much.

Design process for the game by Firaxis (In a really good way):
1. Take XCOM:EW
2. Listen to the community
3. Make appropriate changes
4. Call it XCOM 2

I'm glad they didn't listen to the people who just wanted Terror from the Deep. This premise is far more interesting.

Honestly?
The best thing for me so far has to be the seamless Overwatch shots
Holy shit am I playing a video game or watching an action movie

Instro

I'm slightly worried about the 'you must finish the mission within X rounds' thing. the meld mechanic was nice, since it was a bonus. a very nice bonus. a bit more worried about having to finish within the timer. and as far as I've heard it's shorter on harder difficulties, too.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. On one hand I liked having infinite time to slow play a map when needed, but on the other I appreciate the push to make the player less cautious which can be more exciting overall. Storywise it makes sense I suppose since the aliens are in control and can send lots of reinforcements if the rebels are not in and out on a mission.

Tworak

Not sure how I feel about it yet. On one hand I liked having infinite time to slow play a map when needed, but on the other I appreciate the push to make the player less cautious which can be more exciting overall. Storywise it makes sense I suppose since the aliens are in control and can send lots of reinforcements if the rebels are not in and out on a mission.
yeah. it also helps prevent the hide and spam overwatch that was a pretty easy way to deal with some missions.

we will find out in less than a month.
Kreygasm.png

Hmm I'm trying to go in as blind as I can, troubling to hear about a mission timer this close to launch. I thought meld balanced it well - I can't see myself liking a majority of the missions if they are timed.

I still have to pre-order this. Do you get anything extra for pre-ordering? Not a fan of the practice but for this game I can make an exception.

From GMG

Pre Purchase Now and Receive:

RESISTANCE WARRIOR PACK

Customize your squad of resistance fighters with bonus outfits, headgear, and custom facial war paint. Instantly unlock a survivor of the old war as a recruit in your barracks.

Tacitus_

Weapon customization
Kreygasm.png

that superior trigger in TBs video is filthy - 15% chance to not use AP for a sniper! and he mentioned stocks that make misses do small amounts of damage

Coketruck

The bit about the aliens having an over-arching goal that they're always advancing towards and will end the game if they reach it is interesting. I know you can delay it by completing certain missions, but I wonder if it's possible to put it off indefinitely (or at least until you think you're ready to advance the story) by doing enough of those missions, or if at some point the timer's going to advance no matter what. That could really screw up someone who is trying to do more "side quest" type missions or a lot of early research.

Dennis

Banned
Weapon customization
Kreygasm.png

that superior trigger in TBs video is filthy - 15% chance to not use AP for a sniper! and he mentioned stocks that make misses do small amounts of damage

One thing I love is customization of your dead meat, eh, I mean, soldiers.

epmode

^^^^^^ YES PLEASE

I've been playing the majority of my PC games on Steam Big Picture, so controller support would be a godsend.

Get a Steam Controller.

There's no offical controller support at launch. It's probably coming eventually but nothing has been confirmed. Please note that the UI was designed around mouse and keyboard this time. Adding controller support will take significant work.

I really don't like the aesthetic of XCOM 2. All the environments feel like sci-fi military bases. In the Enemy Unknown, you were fighting through coffee shops and ducking behind pickup trucks -- the real world environments made the invasion seem more threatening and the world more grounded. Here, most of the levels seem like generic cyber-future nonsense.

Tacitus_

I really don't like the aesthetic of XCOM 2. All the environments feel like sci-fi military bases. In the Enemy Unknown, you were fighting through coffee shops and ducking behind pickup trucks -- the real world environments made the invasion seem more threatening and the world more grounded. Here, most of the levels seem like generic cyber-future nonsense.

You're playing the resistance, so you're going to be attacking the alien bases / locations. Of course there are also missions in the wilds.

There are a variety of settings: alien outposts and bases, yes, but also city locations, slums, shantytowns and wilderness. There's far more diversity to the locations, and many of them look more "human" and lived-in than anything in XCOM did.

Get a Steam Controller.

There's no offical controller support at launch. It's probably coming eventually but nothing has been confirmed. Please note that the UI was designed around mouse and keyboard this time. Adding controller support will take significant work.

Bummer. Don't really need or want a Steam Controller, so I'll wait it out.

Tommyhawk

Watched TB's video and the game just looks fantastic!

So fantastic that I've just pre-ordered it on GMG which I haven't done in a long time.

epmode

Bummer. Don't really need or want a Steam Controller, so I'll wait it out.

I've found the Steam Controller incredibly useful for Big Picture Mode which is why mentioned it. It doesn't really replace an Xbox pad but it gives access to all sorts of stuff you wouldn't be able to play otherwise.

Anyway, just trying to help!

KarmaCow

I managed to get a good discount on the FE Fates special edition so I already have a ton of turn based strategy to play in February but this is still so tempting to pick up day 1.

Just read the RPS preview... hype is through the roof.

I haven’t felt like this about a game since 2012 when I wrote: “No coy introduction here; XCOM is marvellous and now that I’m not playing it, all I want to do is talk about it, write about it, and jump up and down hollering about it.”

Top Bottom