• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Comic Con 2012 lOTl Cosplayers, Video games, Comics, and Panels oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Information:
http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/
Read this for all your needs:
How to Survive NY Comic Con in 12 Easy Steps.
See these videos for all your needs:
Artist Alley Tips
Show Tips

Maps:
Preface:
Every year, NYC has this big ass convention that's full of thousands of cosplayers with elaborate costumes as well as Comic books, video games, movies, and all that jazz. Last year was my first Comic Con experience.... as a volunteer working behind the scenes which was a fun and interesting experience. I got a ton of good memories from it and plenty of stories to tell among other things.

This year, I'm once again reprising my role as a Crew member (an upgrade from last year's Volunteer title) which means I'm getting payed to do it and I get several perks so I'll be working there again. I'll let you guys know at which area I'll be working at by this Wednesday since I'll get my schedule by then. Any way, last year was pretty crazy; The Avengers was nuts or so I heard from coworkers. Will this year be crazy? Let's find out.

Each subsequent year, NY Comic Con gets bigger and better. This year looks to be even bigger than last year's Comic Con. A random moment for me was seeing a topless woman with her boobs out in full force in front of the Javits Center as I was making my way in. So my question to you NYC GAF and Gaffers who plan on coming from other states and countries is do you have a pass?

Important Information:
  • 3 Day and 4 Day passes are sold out on the Comic Con website (but not secondhand retailers). As you all know, Saturday is the biggest and busiest day. Friday and Sunday passes are still available on to purchase on the site; secondhand retailers are selling passes for every day (see bullet #9 below for details). You can view the tickets here: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Buy-Tickets/
  • Again, I will be working there so if you see me in action come say hi to me and shoot the breeze with me while I work for a bit. I'll be wearing a "Crew" shirt (color to be TBA) UPDATE: On Thursday afternoon I'll be working at Panel. I'll be working on the Show Floor on Saturday and Sunday all day. I'll be down to meet up on Friday after 6 since I have class. I might be there in the morning before I go to class (class is at 2) if anything as well. I'll let you guys know.
  • For screenings/Panels, it is highly advised that you get there early. Otherwise, consider yourself screwed. Last year's screenings were massively overcrowded to the point where people were standing. The Avengers was absolutely nuts last year. We'll see if this year things are different.
  • Before anyone says "Yo Jipan, hook me up with a free pass," I can't hook anyone up with free passes. It's against the rules and it would jeopardize my job if I did. Besides, free passes aren't exactly left out in the open for me to take. I will try to hook you up with anything that I may come across if anything (no promises).
  • I highly recommend that you all wear comfortable sneakers/shoes, bring a bottle of water, snacks (e.g. trail mix is perfect), maybe gum, a good quality camera (for the inevitable pictures with the thousands of cosplayers), and good chunk of money if you plan on buying anything there or get stuff autographed. It tends to get pretty hot in there, plus there barely any reception beyond the entrance. Comic Con tends to be pretty pricey even though there's a ton of free swag as well. Especially if you're a big fan of X person who's autograph you've been dying to get. There's a lot of unique stuff you can get there for sure. I would also recommend you not buy anything to eat from there since the food is ridiculously over priced. There are several places in the area where you can eat for much cheaper; Wendy's, Quiznos, Friday's, etc. (thanks Amir0x)
  • Since video games are huge, expect lots of announcements at this year's event. One thing of interest that is going to get unveiled is the Sleeping Dogs single player campaign DLC (which I'll be keeping my eye on as well). Expect big ass lines to play a game (like anything at Comic Con). Last year, when I managing the lines for Street Fighter X Tekken/ Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, it was a royal pain in the ass keeping the floor cleared to keep things moving as people wanted to spectate as well.
  • The Masquerade Parade has been vanquished. There are now daily costume contests instead so no more funneling whiny people into the IGN Theater.
  • A word of advice: don't be shy to ask cosplayers to take a picture with you. Speak up. Especially very attractive cosplayers or cosplayers with extremely cool costumes; chances are they will say yes because that's what they're there for. They're pretty nice. In general, it's very easy to build a rapport with a group of attendants; Comic Con is a good place to make some easy friends because of the commonality.
  • If you have a smart phone, it is highly encouraged that you download the NYCC app (well my employers highly encourage it to everyone) to make your life much, much easier. Don't ask me anything about it because I don't know much about it despite having it on my phone. I heard the app was cumbersome to use last year so maybe they made a significant update to it this year.
  • Worried about where to get a pass at? Are you sure you want to go? Do not fret my friends, eBay's got you covered(click this link). Also if you didn't click my ticket link, do not worry, here's a list of approved secondhand stores that got you covered for passes for any day(s) you want. So now you have no excuses not to go. ;)
  • 3DS Owners: Make sure you bring your 3DS to gather up a ton of Street Passes and play people locally during the down time while on a line (thanks Tom_Cody).
  • Do you think Comic Con passes are pricey? Don't want to pony up the cash for Comic Con, but still want to go? Well then my fellow Gaffers, this exhibitor is looking for volunteers to work their booth for a couple of 6 hour shifts in exchange for a free pass, free shirts and discount. Click this link to apply now.

NYC GAF October Meet up:
Please note that this thread also serves as the NYC GAF October Meet up thread because of this event. Comic Con is the main meet up of the month. If you guys wanna meet up before the Comic Con dates or after, let me know and I'll post events of interest and what not. Preferably before Halloween since I know you guys are busy people; a Halloween GAF meet up would not work for many people.

Panels and Autograph Signings that might be of interest to you (I'm just pointing out random stuff so don't mind me; there's a ton more events that are probably more interesting):

For a full list of all Panels and Screenings click this link

• Hasbro: Transformers

Date: Thursday, October 11
    3:45 pm - 4:45 pm

Description:
    Transformers Brand & Design team members and Hasbro Studios will present big news for what's new and next with the "Robots in Disguise!" Fans won't want to miss this panel featuring exciting, never before seen "More Than Meets The Eye" reveals of what's to come in animation, action figures and more!

• Jason David Frank Autographing

Fee: $20

Date: Friday, October 12
    2:15 pm - 3:15 pm

Speaker: Jason David Frank

Description:
    Come meet guest Jason David Frank! 8x10s with autograph for $20 each. Picture with Jason free with purchase. Shirts on sale for $25 each.
  • Yoshitaka Amano and Yu Asakawa Autorgraph Ticket Giveaway (Part 1; thanks for clearing it up Kisaya :D )
    Fee: Free
    8:00 am - 8:01 am
    Description:
    Autographing tickets will be available in the Queue Hall on Friday, October 12 at 8AM. Tickets are free, but extremely limited, and will be given out on a first come first serve basis. Note fans line up early for autograph ticket giveaways.
  • Dark Horse Presents: Yoshitaka Amano (Part 2)
    1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
    Speakers: Michael Gombos , Yoshitaka Amano
    Description:
    Legendary Japanese artist, Yoshitaka Amano makes a rare stateside appearance at New York Comic Con! Join Dark Horse in celebrating the life and work of Amano, just before the highly anticipated release of Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy.
  • Yoshitaka Amano, Moyoco Anno, and Danny Choo Autograph Ticket Giveaway (Part 3)

Fee: Free

Date: Saturday, October 13

Saturday:8:00 am - 8:01 am

Description:
    Autographing tickets will be available in the Queue Hall on Saturday, October 13 at 8AM. Tickets are free, but extremely limited, and will be given out on a first come first serve basis. Note fans line up early for autograph ticket giveaways.

Track:
    Autographing

• Marvel Video Games

Date: Saturday, October 13
    11:15 am - 12:15 pm

Description:
    Get the latest scoop on upcoming blockbuster Marvel video games spanning all of today’s hottest platforms (sorry, ColecoVision!). Upcoming titles include Deadpool, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Marvel Heroes, Marvel: War of Heroes and more, plus the latest additions to current releases like Avengers Alliance, Avengers Initiative, Marvel Pinball (new table announcement!), HeroClix Online, Super Hero Squad Online and The Amazing Spider-Man. And just what is Marvel XP? All this, plus questions from the audience – and maybe even some other surprises. Don’t miss out!

• See the Sleeping Dogs DLC expansion announcement/Q&A (Sunday) session plus try out Hitman: Absolution (Saturday). See this thread for details/PR (thanks Nirolak). UPDATE: Monkeythumbz is accepting questions for the Sleeping Dogs DLC Q&A. Send him a PM via GAF or comment on the website. See this post for details.

Events (click this link to view):
This where all the big screenings happen. Chaos and madness and more headache inducing madness at the IGN Theater. Good luck to those of you who plan on going to them and godspeed. Remember, patience is a virtue. They sound like fun.

Here's a few of panels of interest to you all with their respective links:
Friday:

Saturday (AKA the busiest day of the Con):

Sunday:

Gaffers Attending (will make a formal banner for this soon):
Note: Please specify which day(s) you're going to be there on so it can be clear and specify a place where you want to meet up at. Ideally, it'd be best to meet up by the entrance near the Javitz statue or an area that's not heavily populated. Alternatively, you can also hold up a GAF banner and/or wear a GAF shirt.

Admiral Snackbar (3 Day? Will be cosplaying as Beat and his girlfriend will be cosplaying as Korra)
Amir0x (4 Day; will be with his sisters and fianceé)
BravoHalo (4 Day)
captmcblack (Days TBD)
cosmicblizzard (Saturday and Sunday)
Charoncaori (4 Day)
Dax01 (4 Day?)
djtiesto (Friday and Saturday)
DTJAAAAM (4 Day)
Edag Plata (3 Day)
Eric_ J (Working there in the weekend)
Evil Benius (Sunday; will be there with his wife)
fallengorn (4 Day)
Father_Brain (volunteering for the Geek Out Booth on Saturday evening)
Gary Whitta (Friday and Saturday; Moderating the Aliens: Colonial Marines Panel on Saturday)
Greymatter (working with The_Baroness on Table F6 at Artist Alley; all days)
Hypertropper (4 Day)
JackHerer (4 Day)
Jipan (working at Panel A on Thursday afternoon; free Friday night; working all day SA and SU at the Show Floor)
Kaiwing (Weekend; will be with his girlfriend)
Kisaya (Friday; Saturday?)
MG310 (4 Day; will be at Artist Alley)
m0dus (3 Day; GAF mod/artist in the house; tagging along with SouSouRocket)
ncsuDuncan (4 Day)
NihonTiger90 (Press; all week; working for Tomopop, sister website of Destructoid)
Old Lace (3 Day)
Penguin (Press; will be at parts of it)
quickwhips (4 Day)
Rafa=FedKilla (4 Day)
rayner (3 Day; will be there with his wife; going to Walking Dead Panel)
Salaadin (3 Day; Friday and Saturday for sure)
Samus4145 (Press)
Shadow780 (4 Day)
Shin Johnpv (3 Day)
SouSouRocket (3 Day; tagging along with m0dus)
SUPARSTARX (4 Day; going dressed up as Bane for 2 Days)
Tashi (all 4 days)
Tapwgun (Saturday)
The_Baroness (working at Artist Alley, Table F6 along with Greymatter; all days)
Tom_Cody (4 Day; view his schedule here)
Trancetronic (3 Day)
WyndhamPrince (3 Day; thanks DMPrince for pointing it out :D)
yencid (3 Day)

I hope to see you guys there if you can make it. I'll be making updates to the OP as necessary on a regular basis adding meet ups, few images/banners in, and other stuff. Subscribe to this thread to keep track of it if you want to meet up as well as update the thread with impressions of games, events, pictures, and what have you.

The Con has officially kicked off and is open to the public. Be there or be square.

Shadow780

I'll be going, saying hi to you if I catch you there~

Not sure about how early should I line up for Amano autograph tickets, are there separate lines for different tickets or it's one line?

I got his signature a few years back after his panel w/o the ticket, he stuck around signing bunch of stuffs so if any of you didn't get his tickets there's still a chance unless he had to leave or rule changed.

Also about panels, I'm sure many of goers are interested in the marquee panels on Saturday in the IGN Theater. Go there early and don't leave, you can take bathroom breaks (they gave us tickets to come back last year), grab good seats at the front and sit through panels you don't give a shit about so you don't have to wait tremendous lines for those marquee events.

Jhoan

I'll be going, saying hi to you if I catch you there~

Not sure about how early should I line up for Amano autograph tickets, are there separate lines for different tickets or it's one line?

I got his signature a few years back after his panel w/o the ticket, he stuck around signing bunch of stuffs so if any of you didn't get his tickets there's still a chance unless he had to leave or rule changed.

Also about panels, I'm sure many of goers are interested in the marquee panels on Saturday in the IGN Theater. Go there early and don't leave, you can take bathroom breaks (they gave us tickets to come back last year), grab good seats at the front and sit through panels you don't give a shit about so you don't have to wait tremendous lines for those marquee events.
You haven't been to one of our meet ups besides the gaming related ones that I've been well aware of. ;) Don't worry, I'm not going to berate you for it but it's been good fun all around. My guess is you don't hang around the OT section as much as you do on the Gaming side.

I think that's probably going to be the case. You should probably line up early knowing how crazy things get. I would love to make it to the Amano signing but my shift begins at 8 so that sucks. What kind of stuff did you have him sign?

I forgot to mention why the 3 Day and 4 Day passes have been sold out in case anyone is wondering. The passes were put up for sale in January and sold out in a matter of several weeks. In fact, by February or March I believe they were gone. So they've been sold out several months already. I imagine there will be scalpers selling them on site for ridiculous prices.

The IGN Theater is one area I did not pick to work at; I heard some crazy stories about it last year. If I get my way, I'll either be working on the Show Floor like I did last year managing lines or at Artists' Alley. Again, I'll find out by Wednesday since that's when the schedules are going to get sent out to people. I think I'm not going to get my pass until some time during the first week of October.

I'll post a few pictures that I took last soon nostalgia's sake and to give you all an idea of what I look like. I'll do that on my next post.

Shadow780

Good luck man, managing line is a real pain. Like you said the biggest congestion was at between Capcom and Square Enix, hopefully it's better planned this year.

I'll be arriving late on Friday but I'll be around all weekend. First time going, haven't been to a con in years, so I'm excited.

Kisaya

Was going to skip this but found out that Amano was going, so uh yeah that decided it for me (I bought just Friday for now).

Really nervous that I won't get autograph tickets. How crazy do you guys think the line will be and how early is safe to be there? :/

I will literally be bummed out the rest of the day and hate myself forever if I don't get to see him. Literally.

Shadow780

Was going to skip this but found out that Amano was going, so uh yeah that decided it for me (I bought just Friday for now).

Really nervous that I won't get autograph tickets. How crazy do you guys think the line will be and how early is safe to be there? :/

I will literally be bummed out the rest of the day and hate myself forever if I don't get to see him. Literally.

Go there like 3am to line up, lol.

Or just tackle him after the panel, I'm sure he'll be happy to sign stuff.

Jhoan

Good luck man, managing line is a real pain. Like you said the biggest congestion was at between Capcom and Square Enix, hopefully it's better planned this year.
Yeah, tell me about it. It was hell to pay; aggressiveness has to be turned on to 100% to keep things moving. It was particularly taxing on my voice. Once Capcom started demoing Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, the floor cleared up like magic. In retrospect, it was funny how the fighting game crowd left afterwards. I think a few people even booed when Capcom announced that they were going to demo it.
I'll be arriving late on Friday but I'll be around all weekend. First time going, haven't been to a con in years, so I'm excited.
Cool, you're in for a treat. It was pretty fun last year and it was my first time there. I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun.

Amano is going to be there on Saturday. Unless you bump into him on Friday or hang around the Square Enix booth enough, you might see him. I think the line is going to be big for it knowing how famous he is in the video game industry. Final Fantasy fans are going to going to be out in droves for this one so get there as early as you can.

All right I promised pictures from last year's outing so here we go. I have more pictures on my cellphone which I'll post in another post. These are from my DSLR; I'm not the best photographer in the world (Olympus 565 UZ FTL) so apologies for the quality of a few pictures:
l37qg.jpg

XrGnp.jpg

zcr2S.jpg

hvDwF.jpg

Taken upstairs in the employee area:
eXLuH.jpg

Me posing with a very nice cosplayer:
QJSYE.png

Lastly, me with Junot Díaz (author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao) who walked into me while I was working and had him autograph my copy of Oscar Wao which I happened to been reading for my English class:
I1JSU.jpg

Kisaya

Go there like 3am to line up, lol. Or just tackle him after the panel, I'm sure he'll be happy to sign stuff.

My god.......... This is not ideal for me but I'm considering.

Amano is going to be there on Saturday. Unless you bump into him on Friday or hang around the Square Enix booth enough, you might see him. I think the line is going to be big for it knowing how famous he is in the video game industry. Final Fantasy fans are going to going to be out in droves for this one so get there as early as you can.

I don't have a ticket for Saturday, how does that exactly go buying one if you haven't online?

Ugh, I just really just want to have it done on Friday with one of those autograph tickets. I've never been to a convention so I don't know how this all works, especially possibly "bumping" into him (which I don't see happening at all ;_; )...

This is stressing me out T_T

I'll be there Friday, Sat, and Sun. Can't wait, looking forward to it this year. This will be my 3rd one, I missed last year but went to the 2 before that.

Jhoan

I'm going there saturday only. Literally just for Halo 4 and HaloGAF.
Lol, really? That's interesting. How long have you guys been planning this thing for? I'm guessing it must have been for a while. I don't know much about Halo myself despite having a 360. But I imagine the Halo community on GAF is pretty big that you guys have over 10 OT's for each Halo game and a podcast as well (why doesn't NYC GAF have one I wonder?).
My god.......... This is not ideal for me but I'm considering.

I don't have a ticket for Saturday, how does that exactly go buying one if you haven't online?

Ugh, I just really just want to have it done on Friday with one of those autograph tickets. I've never been to a convention so I don't know how this all works, especially possibly "bumping" into him (which I don't see happening at all ;_; )...

This is stressing me out T_T
Unfortunately, Saturday passes are completely sold out. But to give you a glimmer of hope, one of my coworkers said to go to Midtown Comics to check if they have Saturday passes. I think they should have some there as they're one of the sponsors of NYCC, so your best bet is there. Check the Midtown Comics website if anything and call and find out if they still have Saturday passes so it won't be a waste of your time. Otherwise, you would have to haggle a scalper for a Saturday pass.

Go there to have fun, take pictures with cosplayers, and try out some games. Who knows? You might just bump into him. If Junot Díaz bumped into me, chances are he might. Just make sure to have your eyes peeled.

I've updated the OP with all the latest attendees and days so keep it coming folks. If you guys have any Comic Con stories to share, feel free to do so. I'll gladly share a couple of work stories.

HaloGAF, tell the rest of your people to post in this thread as soon as they can. I imagine you guys are going to be cosplaying; I can picture a massive Tashi cosplaying pretty well as Master Chief. I will definitely have my camera in tow along with my phone to take plenty of pictures.

I'm worried that this thread is going to eclipse the NYC GAF September Meet up thread. In any case, I'll plug it in here in case anyone's interested in coming (please do come if you can; it's gone under people's radar throughout most of this month).

Tawpgun

Lol, really? That's interesting. How long have you guys been planning this thing for? I'm guessing it must have been for a while. I don't know much about Halo myself despite having a 360. But I imagine the Halo community on GAF is pretty big that you guys have over 10 OT's for each Halo game and a podcast as well (why doesn't NYC GAF have one I wonder?).
There were rumors Halo 4 was gonna be playable. I got my ticket because there was a panel on saturday. And I love HaloGAF so im coming in from Boston.

and not sure if anyone will be cosplaying. Unless biggy is going. Not sure if he is.

Jhoan

There were rumors Halo 4 was gonna be playable. I got my ticket because there was a panel on saturday. And I love HaloGAF so im coming in from Boston.

and not sure if anyone will be cosplaying. Unless biggy is going. Not sure if he is.
It makes sense for Halo 4 to be playable there from a marketing standpoint; the game comes out in November, so the NYCC is the perfect place to market it at; word of mouth and the internet does wonders.

I remember that you said that the distance was why you weren't able to make it to one of our GAF meet ups. HaloGAF will make you come out but not NYC GAF? That breaks my heart. :(
I'm joking.

I see hence the Bruce Campbell avatar. Let me guess, you're in it for the Evil Dead panel. ;) Everyone and their mother seems to be excited about Bruce Campbell coming to Comic Con.

EDIT:
Go to the website. They have retailers selling them.
This. They should have plenty of approved secondhand retailers selling passes if anything, so don't feel bummed out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

That podcast sucks. Guy who runs it is a clown too.

Jhoan

awesome, thanks dudes.

To further entertain your question regarding if Comic Con passes are being sold on eBay, as a matter of fact, they are being sold there; go figure: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ny+comic+con+pass&_sacat=0

So if anyone really needs passes as a last result as a byproduct of procrastinating, there it is. The prices are a bit exorbitant if you ask me, but that's why you don't procrastinate in the first place I suppose. :p I'll add this information to the OP along with the secondhand stores selling passes.

Shut the fuck up, Tashi.
You guys are making me laugh out loud here. I love the sarcasm. Tell me something I don't know about you Halo GAF.

MG310

I'll be there all 4 days, mostly lurking about the Artist Alley and probably carrying way more stuff than one human should carry. I don't know if anything can top the Ono/Harada football game from last year :D

I hope they are more organized in the Autograph area this year. Last year the booth where employees were selling tickets were only given tickets for Felicia Day and no other guests. They asked me to come back and tell them if I found out what was going on with that.

Shadow780

I can't handle 4 days, after 2 days I'm already exhausted, lacking sleep, and have some sort of con virus. Sunday I may just go there around to check out random stuffs. Friday is convention, Saturday are panels.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HaloGAF is going to dominate NYCC.

For real though if any GAF members see a big tall goon with a Halo shirt on (might have some with my name on the back) just say what's up.

Jhoan

I'll be there all 4 days, mostly lurking about the Artist Alley and probably carrying way more stuff than one human should carry. I don't know if anything can top the Ono/Harada football game from last year :D

I hope they are more organized in the Autograph area this year. Last year the booth where employees were selling tickets were only given tickets for Felicia Day and no other guests. They asked me to come back and tell them if I found out what was going on with that.
Ono/Harada football game? I didn't hear about that. What was it about? Was it a press event?

I don't know what happened with that quite honestly since I wasn't working in that area, but I imagine that Lance Fensterman, the head of Reed Pop (the organization that's in charge all the major conventions and hiring me), took all those criticisms that he received last year to the heart. I'm sure things are going to run more smoothly this year.

I can't handle 4 days, after 2 days I'm already exhausted, lacking sleep, and have some sort of con virus. Sunday I may just go there around to check out random stuffs. Friday is convention, Saturday are panels.
I seem to recall -PXG- and several other Gaffers mentioning something about getting this notorious con virus after going to PAX East. I don't have any memory of getting sick after it was all said and done; I was sick from nostalgia more than anything else. I kept thinking I was still in Comic Con mode while taking the train.

I know that feeling all too well though; my feet were absolutely destroyed after standing around all day and walking around. Hang tough man. If I can make through 3-4 days of working there, you can too.

Do note that I am updating the OP with the latest roster update and information guys; I work behind the scenes pretty well. ;p

EDIT:
HaloGAF is going to dominate NYCC.

For real though if any GAF members see a big tall goon with a Halo shirt on (might have some with my name on the back) just say what's up.
Anybody can spot you from a mile away; you're the size of Paul Bunyan. And here I thought you were going to be rocking a Master Chief get up. I'm disappointed. ;_;

I hear you've been working out and getting yourself in shape. We may as well rename this thread the HaloGAF Con. :D

EDIT 2: It's interesting to see how this thread has more responses on the first several hours up than the September Meet up thread. Not that I'm complaining; it's pretty fascinating to note nonetheless (more for my own amusement since I made both threads).

MG310

Ono/Harada football game? I didn't hear about that. What was it about? Was it a press event?

I don't know what happened with that quite honestly since I wasn't working in that area, but I imagine that Lance Fensterman, the head of Reed Pop (the organization that's in charge all the major conventions and hiring me), took all those criticisms that he received last year to the heart. I'm sure things are going to run more smoothly this year.

They held it in that giant empty hall to the right of the IGN theater that they used to queue people up in for the first few years of the con (it was also used to house people in the wait for Jay & Silent Bob Get Old last year.) Everyone either picked the Tekken or Street Fighter side of the field and were given red or blue shirts then Ono and Harada picked teams from the crowd for a game of flag football. Street Fighter won after some potentially biased reffing from Seth Killian (which was followed by a massive "Don't Be Salty" chant after the Tekken side complained) I didn't stay for the post game but I believe the bet between Ono and Harada was that the winner would get to punt a football straight at the loser's ass.

Note, Harada and Ono were the only ones wearing pads and helmets :D

DSCN0875.jpg

Jhoan

So I asked this in the Halo OT but didn't get an answer. Is it confirmed that Halo 4 will be playable at NYCC?

Google says yes (well this site that I found through them does).

They held it in that giant empty hall to the right of the IGN theater that they used to queue people up in for the first few years of the con (it was also used to house people in the wait for Jay & Silent Bob Get Old last year.) Everyone either picked the Tekken or Street Fighter side of the field and were given red or blue shirts then Ono and Harada picked teams from the crowd for a game of flag football. Street Fighter won after some potentially biased reffing from Seth Killian (which was followed by a massive "Don't Be Salty" chant after the Tekken side complained) I didn't stay for the post game but I believe the bet between Ono and Harada was that the winner would get to punt a football straight at the loser's ass.
Oh, I see. My coworkers didn't tell me anything about this and a couple of them were working the Jay and Silent Boy thing. So this was more of publicity/marketing event. It sounded like fun. Seth Killian was a troll for siding with but he's a cool guy otherwise having met and taken a picture with him.

EDIT 2: I saw the guy that's in the foreground when I was managing the line for the Capcom booth; he was the emcee. I also saw him at the Fight Club for Super Street Fighter IV a few years ago. That's the parking lot where the Masquerade Parade was at last year, I see. It looked like a ton of fun. I'm guessing you were rooting for Street Fighter?

MG310

I was actually on the Tekken side - mostly because there were far fewer people on that side so it was easier to see.

Kisaya

Okay fuck it, I have a plan and I'm gonna camp out starting midnight. YOLO.

My only concern now... This starts Thrusday right? Is it possible that people will camp out on Thursday for Friday morning?...

cause I will cry.

Salaadin

Ill be there. Got 3 day passes but Im not sure if I can go on Sunday or not. Friday and Saturday are a definite, though.

My first convention of any type ever. Im excited.

I bought a 4 day pass on the 13th from the website,just before the mailing cutoff. Didn't pay any extra. So they couldn't have sold out in march.

I might have to camp out for Amano tickets, but I really hate that area, so I'm nervous. Maybe I'll just go at 3AM.

MG310

This starts Thrusday right... is it possible that people will camp out on Thursday for Friday morning?...

cause I will cry.

I don't recall seeing anyone waiting outside Thursday night (or any night) for the next day last year. I hated the lines to get in the first few years so I started springing for the VIP passes (it was 190 I believe) to avoid them almost entirely.

Kisaya

I bought a 4 day pass on the 13th from the website,just before the mailing cutoff. Didn't pay any extra. So they couldn't have sold out in march.

I might have to camp out for Amano tickets, but I really hate that area, so I'm nervous. Maybe I'll just go at 3AM.

If anything we'll have eachothers back ;) I have a friend who lives nearby so I'm gonna head out there at midnight.

I don't recall seeing anyone waiting outside Thursday night (or any night) for the next day last year. I hated the lines to get in the first few years so I started springing for the VIP passes (it was 190 I believe) to avoid them almost entirely.

Wow that VIP seems awesome. I wish I was hooked up like that ;_;

Well now I feel a little better... sorry I really over think these things >.<

Jipan: You should mention that Amano is going be there Friday as well and handing autograph tickets.

I'm attending. As press.

First time at NYCC and I'm gonna be working the floor covering stuff, so I don't know what my schedule will be like. I'll have events to attend each night as well in Manhattan and stuff to write up after that. But I'll try to make some time.

Will be there all four days. Arriving on Thursday, leaving late Sunday.

sca2511

This question is geared more for SDCC or just major conventions in general. Is it hard for a person in a wheelchair to move around the con? My GF wants to go the SDCC, but we're afraid it'll be hard to move/navigate around to panels and vendors.

If anything we'll have eachothers back ;) I have a friend who lives nearby so I'm gonna head out there at midnight.

Jipan: You should mention that Amano is going be there Friday as well and handing autograph tickets.
I wonder when the actual autograph sessions with Amano will be?

Waiting with other fans overnight is usually pretty cool, especially if there are large numbers. I haven't done it for NYCC yet, though, so I'm still a bit wary (and that area is sketchy as hell, so make sure you aren't alone!) . I live by the city too, so I think the best thing for me would be to take the 3 or 5 am train over after getting some sleep.

Looking forward to waiting with you guys. =D

Jhoan

Guys who run that site are also HaloGAF members *evil laugh*
It's a small world after all; go figure. What other fan sites you guys got under the Halo GAF umbrella?

Did not know this; will do. I think you guys are nuts to go to such great lengths to get his autograph; I would've been there around 6 or so myself. Watch out for creeps that pass through there and good luck with that.

EDIT: Done. It's a subtle update, but it gets the job done.
I'm attending. As press.

First time at NYCC and I'm gonna be working the floor covering stuff, so I don't know what my schedule will be like. I'll have events to attend each night as well in Manhattan and stuff to write up after that. But I'll try to make some time.

Will be there all four days. Arriving on Thursday, leaving late Sunday.
Dealing with Press dudes last year was slightly annoying no offense to you folks. A few of them felt like they were entitled to certain things (well Thursday of course as well as the whole week since there are demos). I understand they had interviews to do and stuff, but it was grating. A lot of them were pretty nice though. Brian Crecente and Stephen Totilo even said hi when I said hi to them and they were going to interview the Capcom guys last year.

What site do work for? If I end up working on the Show Floor, chances are I'll probably bump into you while you're on the job.

This question is geared more for SDCC or just major conventions in general. Is it hard for a person in a wheelchair to move around the con? My GF wants to go the SDCC, but we're afraid it'll be hard to move/navigate around to panels and vendors.

Having worked the show floor last year and cleared the floor for wheelchair bound people, it's a bit of a pain in the ass to navigate through the show floor. I think there are ramps and elevators should be able to get you where you want to go in terms of Panels and what not. However, since people like to stand still a lot especially to watch video games, it's hard. The halls are crowded with thousands of bodies, but that's why we're there to keep foot traffic flowing smoothly. This is strictly speaking for NYCC, but I imagine the other conventions are just as hectic as it.

Kisaya

I wonder when the actual autograph sessions with Amano will be?

I know the one on Friday is at 1:45 PM

And yeah I get really paranoid when it comes to this sort of stuff, but he's literally one of my favorite artists ever and I would die not getting the chance to see him and have something signed. I can't enjoy the rest of the convention if I don't have that settled :<

Tawpgun

It makes sense for Halo 4 to be playable there from a marketing standpoint; the game comes out in November, so the NYCC is the perfect place to market it at; word of mouth and the internet does wonders.

I remember that you said that the distance was why you weren't able to make it to one of our GAF meet ups. HaloGAF will make you come out but not NYC GAF? That breaks my heart. :(
I'm joking.

I see hence the Bruce Campbell avatar. Let me guess, you're in it for the Evil Dead panel. ;) Everyone and their mother seems to be excited about Bruce Campbell coming to Comic Con.

EDIT:
This. They should have plenty of approved secondhand retailers selling passes if anything, so don't feel bummed out.

Nope, Halo panel. But Bruce coming up to NY is exciting.

MG310

Yeah, Press/Professional pass people seemed quite angry that they were stuck in the same lines with the VIP people last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom