• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Wreav

Banned
Thinking of trading someone my Note 4 for their N6. Any people use both have an opinion on this?

You already know all the special things the Note can do that the N6 can't. If you can live with those trade offs, do it.

Personally, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You already know all the special things the Note can do that the N6 can't. If you can live with those trade offs, do it.

Personally, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

I'm more interested in the processing power, speed, camera, and battery life issues (if there are any).

Dead

well not really...yet
Get the Nexus 6 if you want:

- Smoother performance. It's like butter.
- Attractive and inviting UI rather than a Gaudy uninviting mess with no design language to speak of
- Better sound
- More natural color reproduction while still retaining AMOLED blacks

Get Note 4 if you cant live without a stylus. But it is noticeably laggier with more hangups.

Note 4 Camera has a slight edge, but N6 Camera is nothing to sneeze at. Battery life I get a full day and a half roughly with heavy use on N6.

Jzero

Anyone have issues with their autofocus "pulsing" ever 2 seconds? I think i want a replacement phone. The camera is too buggy on my phone.

clav

Anyone have issues with their autofocus "pulsing" ever 2 seconds? I think i want a replacement phone. The camera is too buggy on my phone.

From reviews, phone was already like that.

I think you will notice the behavior more when recording video.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah. Also, closer up shots won't focus.

Milpool

Ditch the stock camera app asap. L Camera is free and a step up even though it's pretty cumbersome. You can manual focus too down to about 5 cm.

joaomgcd

Is anyone else getting a lot of stuttering when recording videos? 4K stutters all over the place and 1080p stutters like once a second. Is this normal behavior for the Nexus 6? Thanks in advance

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does anyone's camera app crash from time to time? Seems like when I use the camera to take a bunch of shots in a short time frame, it crashes. Stock app.

Is anyone else getting a lot of stuttering when recording videos? 4K stutters all over the place and 1080p stutters like once a second. Is this normal behavior for the Nexus 6? Thanks in advance

Not normal.

Jzero

Does anyone's camera app crash from time to time? Seems like when I use the camera to take a bunch of shots in a short time frame, it crashes. Stock app.

Not normal.

The camera is in crash city on my phone. Snapchat and other camera shit crashes on the daily.

i'm also going to be getting one of these wooden backs soon :)

Maddness

So I noticed the question way way back in the thread but I didn't really notice that it got answered.

I just bought the Nexus 6 32gb blue variant and I use Verizon pre-paid. Am I ready to go out of the box or do I need to get the sim card for it?

NotBacon

The camera is in crash city on my phone. Snapchat and other camera shit crashes on the daily.

i'm also going to be getting one of these wooden backs soon :)

Odd, my last Droid did this on the regular, but it hasn't happened once on my N6.

p.s.: check out dbrand skins

Bboy AJ

I bought a second N6. Let's see how it is when it arrives.

j-wood

So I just purchased a Nexus 6 using the Moto credit option, will be using it on Verizon. I'm coming from a DROID Turbo, so I have a nano SIM already.

There anything weird bugs I should know about? Also, from the OP, this has the ambient display that gives notifications when I pick up the phone like the Droid TURBO?

NotBacon

So I just purchased a Nexus 6 using the Moto credit option, will be using it on Verizon. I'm coming from a DROID Turbo, so I have a nano SIM already.

There anything weird bugs I should know about? Also, from the OP, this has the ambient display that gives notifications when I pick up the phone like the Droid TURBO?

Yes.

As for bugs, some are reporting the camera app to crash sometimes and the camera is known to be focus-happy with videos. There's probably a few more bugs, but they're so minor I can't think of them.

j-wood

Yes.

As for bugs, some are reporting the camera app to crash sometimes and the camera is known to be focus-happy with videos. There's probably a few more bugs, but they're so minor I can't think of them.

I was just reading a thing on droid life that the ambient display is really easy to pocket dial...is that the case?

Also, do you guys think that when this finally is officially released on Verizon, I'll just be able to flash the "stock" verizon rom onto my unlocked version?

Bboy AJ

I was just reading a thing on droid life that the ambient display is really easy to pocket dial...is that the case?
no

Also, do you guys think that when this finally is officially released on Verizon, I'll just be able to flash the "stock" verizon rom onto my unlocked version?
why would you want to do this

Jzero

For me hell yes. I move a lot at work and the phone thinks i'm picking it up and it always starts tapping on stuff like the emergency dialer.

Milpool

I got mine at launch and it only just started doing that this week, I got home from town and some John Mayer album was playing out loud on Spotify, good thing I have unlimited data. A few days later I took the phone from my pocket and it was on the alarm page, some had ben disabled.

Sometimes it also refuses to unlock and I have to hold down power till it reboots, I wonder if that's ambient display related. The sound related bugs are really starting to piss me off too...

but don't all the Nexus 6 units use the same ROM and just have a separate partition for boot animation and custom sounds and just install carrier apps based on the inserted SIM during setup instead of having them preinstalled? wouldn't that mean that there is no 'Verizon ROM' for a Nexus 6?

Hasney

Won't the phone be updated for VoLTE at some point anyway? It's going to be on a lot of worldwide networks this year.

EDIT: Googled it. TMobiles product manager thinks it's coming in 5.1.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Pocket dialing is a thing for me - happens a lot more than it did with previous devices. Not sure but I suspect it's to do with whether you carry your phone screen in or screen out. Mine is normally screen in, which seems to make it worse.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like the ambient display, but I wish there was a way (or is there) to make it so the ambient display works, but you actually have to hit the side button to turn on the phone. So many times the ambient display will show as I go to put the phone into my pocket and then it'll bump something and fully turn on the screen.

If they made it so you could say "use ambient display, but only turn on screen fully with side power button" that would be great.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

If it is anything like the OG moto X it happened a lot to me until I used a security lockscreen.

My Nexus 4 charger port might be dying. Does Tmobile still charge for tethering? I know my N4 has the feature built in. I don't get throttled at all, so I'm pretty worried about upgrading.

I bought an extra charger and also a wireless charger to extend the the life of it.

Are there any people here who upgraded from the Nexus 4? I paid heavy attention to the Nexus 6 but the price point to upgrade is the only thing holding me back from actually ordering it. I don't wanna make an early upgrade when I could get the next generation Nexus instead. I'm still wondering what all the downsides are of this phone.

NotBacon

My Nexus 4 charger port might be dying. Does Tmobile still charge for tethering? I know my N4 has the feature built in. I don't get throttled at all, so I'm pretty worried about upgrading.

I bought an extra charger and also a wireless charger to extend the the life of it.

Are there any people here who upgraded from the Nexus 4? I paid heavy attention to the Nexus 6 but the price point to upgrade is the only thing holding me back from actually ordering it. I don't wanna make an early upgrade when I could get the next generation Nexus instead. I'm still wondering what all the downsides are of this phone.

Coming from a Nexus 4? There won't be any for you. Everything should be a major upgrade.

Is the phone perfect? Nope, no phone is. One nitpick off the top of my head is that the camera refocuses a lot in video mode. Another is the Ambient Display clock isn't always up to date. There are others but you'll have to search this thread.

j-wood

Welp, it's Feb 26th and not a peep from VZW regarding the nexus 6...glad i ordered mine from Moto this week.

In regards to OS updates, since I purchased the "unlocked" version, does that mean I'll get them straight from Google without VZW being involved?

j-wood

If that's really true, did I screw myself getting the phone from Motorola? Will my version be able to do volte on Verizon?

Hasney

If that's really true, did I screw myself getting the phone from Motorola? Will my version be able to do volte on Verizon?

5.1 will have VoLTE support in general. Hopefully you'll be fine unless Version do something which means only their version works.

Ocho

Got one of these suckers. Selling directly from Amazon was what pushed me over the edge. I'm coming from a Nexus 5. Wanted a bigger screen to read comics on the go.

Avtomat

Thinking of jumping in with a Nexus 6 but the reviews I have read are all over the place with respect to battery life.

Now that a few months has passed since release what is the battery life like did it improve after the bug fixes/ Android 5.1?

I am coming from an lg g2 which is pretty good.

Top Bottom