• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata hits 7.5m Sales

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Need some more of that 2 Booty action.

Loved the game and have been meaning to replay it. Is the Switch version any good? I have it on PC but I can't be bothered fucking about with the mods again. I originally played it on PS4.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Crazy when you think the first game bombed extremely hard. I couldnt believe it when they announced this game, in terms of pure business this was just a stupid move to do.

Few years later and this has become an astonishing success.

Say what you want about Squix, but they had some gigantic balls to release that game.

SkylineRKR

This is ofcourse a turnaround we've never seen before. Remember the original NieR? It barely sold, reviewed badly. But the game had a certain quality in storytelling, music and emotions, that it had a very vocal and devoted fanbase. I think Automata is greenlit on that accord, I can't see any other reason as the game flat out tanked.

NieR Automata for example outsold Mass Effect Andromeda. NieR outselling Mass Effect, let that sink in.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Crazy when you think the first game bombed extremely hard. I couldnt believe it when they announced this game, in terms of pure business this was just a stupid move to do.

It didn't bomb exactly. It did decent in Japan, but got caught up in the backlash for FFXIII and objectively I doubt expectations could have been that high in Western markets considering around that time JRPG's -in fact Japanese games in general- were still somewhat out of fashion both critically and commercially.

There evidently was some faith in it because if nothing else SE released a lot of tie-in CD's in the years following its release, and let's be real it never had a AAA budget to recoup.

kyussman

That's pretty nuts.Hope they make another one but only give them just enough of a budget to make it,I've no desire to play a big budget Yoko Taro game,lol.

kubricks

Loved the game, rightly deserved those sales numbers.

It would be GOAT if not for the poor late game balance, still the impact of the narrative is unmatched.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yoko Taro I love you but please for love of god STOP making mobile games and give me GOD DAMN Drakengard 4.

Accord's story is not over yet!

Fbh

While I love the game I have to wonder if Yoko Taro and Platinum had some sort of falling out behind the scenes.

This seems to be one of if not the most successful game for both Taro and Platinum. You'd think working together on future projects would be a no brainer and yet it has been 6 years.

Deerock71

While I love the game I have to wonder if Yoko Taro and Platinum had some sort of falling out behind the scenes.

This seems to be one of if not the most successful game for both Taro and Platinum. You'd think working together on future projects would be a no brainer and yet it has been 6 years.
They're like Queen and David Bowie teaming up for Under Pressure.

[Sigma]

I used to run around the world(in game) observing and doing random things all while listening to the ost well after I had already Platinum the game. For the longest time I couldn't let this game go. Truly an incredible experience. Bless Taro.

Last edited:

Aldric

I think it's more likely the opposite, Taro probably threw a tantrum and demanded to work with Platinum and Taura again but Platinum might be busy with other projects like Astral Chain 2 so the sequel takes longer because of that.

It didn't bomb exactly. It did decent in Japan, but got caught up in the backlash for FFXIII and objectively I doubt expectations could have been that high in Western markets considering around that time JRPG's -in fact Japanese games in general- were still somewhat out of fashion both critically and commercially.

There evidently was some faith in it because if nothing else SE released a lot of tie-in CD's in the years following its release, and let's be real it never had a AAA budget to recoup.
Jrpgs were few and far between on the ps360 gen and the ones that were there, were garbage.

And Japanese Devs weren't good at making games during that gen too. It seemed the west couldn't be assed with Japan for awhile. Japanese games definitely got big again last gen.

Top Bottom