• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Interview w/ Saito, Taro, Taura & Preview

sensui-tomo

So Crossing Eden, before you derailed the thread did you actually watch the video with the question? Because i think it makes a big difference that he was asked "is there a reason for her looks or do you just like her that way" (not in these exact same words.)

He was just asked is it the former or the latter and he basically said it's the latter.

Thread was derailed when 5+ people starting bitching at a opinion they didnt like. kinda like Trump with fake news. People could have ignored the comment but no they had to make the thread about the one comment. You can drown the comment and talk about what OP's info is about, thus not "derail" the thread or you talk about one post and "derail" the thread.

Yoko Taro probably should have used his brain more amiright?
Dude lost that when he decided to do PTSD 2.0 (no offense to those whom have it or family with it) with the final boss of Drakengard 3.
Also drinking killed his brain.
mTw28YY.jpg

Philippo

There goes the people saying there was an underlying reason 2B was so sexy

I still wouldn't be so sure about that, i mean he's clearly been trolling in all the other answers (like the one where he says the ending is crap), so i still think there's going to be at least a bit of context to the design choices, and he's just giving his troll answer.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't think it's an issue And think it's a step in the right direction for Japanese art direction.

Just my opinion of course.
Japanese devs being more progressive would be a bigger step in the right direction than maintaining the status quo to the point of becoming niche.

I still wouldn't be so sure about that, i mean he's clearly been trolling in all the other answers (like the one where he says the ending is crap), so i still think there's going to be at least a bit of context to the design choices, and he's just giving his troll answer.
I genuinely don't think there will be a good reason, someone raised the point in an earlier thread unrelated to nier specifically that the standards are incredibly low for how much people are willing to accept poor justification for sexualization. Three prominent examples would be
-Quiet
-Cindy
-Kaine

All terrible character designs with flimsy justifications. Games are already terrible when it comes to handling sexualization and ofc the bar for writing in games is incredibly low, the two simply don't mix well.

Dmax3901

There's like one voice of dissent and about a billion people saying things along the lines of "oh only 9 posts" and "every thread this happens I stg".

So who's really derailing the thread?

nr7t2pxq1m8y.png

Not real. Or at least it's been deleted since.

Edit:
Apparently it is real, lol

Anyway, I can't wait for this game. Playing the demo floored me. Was barely on my radar and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Ferr986

I would like to point out that Akihiko Yoshida is the one who designed 2B and most of the characters in Nier: Automata. Unless you were there or have a source, there is no way of knowing what exactly Yoko Taro asked of him in terms of design.

Also keep in mind that AFAIK Yoko Taro is one of the few Japanese developers to speak in favor of LGBT rights and gay marriage in Japan.

Yeah 2B is Yoshida 100%. Just looking at her design it's clear.

There's like one voice of dissent and about a billion people saying things along the lines of "oh only 9 posts" and "every thread this happens I stg".

So who's really derailing the thread?

Indeed. People screaming "Outrage" are the ones that gets Outraged the most.

TBH I get real sad when I see all the sex negativity. I know it's a generation difference but I hate seeing "You Millenials and your damn butts are bad!!". Not trying to derail the thread more. Not watching the video because I don't wanna be spoiled on much before the game comes out. I could read yokos interviews forever tho.

sensui-tomo

TBH I get real sad when I see all the sex negativity. I know it's a generation difference but I hate seeing "You Millenials and your damn butts are bad!!". Not trying to derail the thread more. Not watching the video because I don't wanna be spoiled on much before the game comes out. I could read yokos interviews forever tho.

no one said that, there isnt sex negativity, only 1 person showed some concern and the I hate CrossingEden bandwagon came to town and jumped him(not sure please correct me if i'm wrong). I mean guys i disagree with CrossingEden quite a bit(like about 85%), but its blatant targeting and everyone harping on that one post and if people ignored it or didnt give attention to it, we wouldnt be talking about it.

Some areas in the game look bleh, not a yoko taro game without some issues . Still getting it day 1.

I just noticed Nier is really cheap in Europe - I found preorder for less than 50 Euro so day I for me :)

No idea how I'll manage Horizon and Nier in March with Persona in April.

no one said that, there isnt sex negativity, only 1 person showed some concern and the I hate CrossingEden bandwagon came to town and jumped him(not sure please correct me if i'm wrong). I mean guys i disagree with CrossingEden quite a bit(like about 85%), but its blatant targeting and everyone harping on that one post and if people ignored it or didnt give attention to it, we wouldnt be talking about it.

Some areas in the game look bleh, not a yoko taro game without some issues . Still getting it day 1.

True true. You make a point. I'm adding to the problem.

chrizzz09

You're right. I think the game narrative is going to explain the design of 2B in a meaningful and believable way. I guess it's going to be something along those lines:

At the
moon
lab where they designed the Androids.

Professor who developed the Androids: "Those machines killed my precious little daughter...I'm going to develop an Android which resembles her and she will take revenge and fight for humankind!"

Assistant: "B-But Professor, your daughter was only 5 years old...sooo why does your Android look like a mature sexy robot killing ninja? Also your daughter had brown hair and not white hair...this Android doesn't resemble her in the slightest!"

Professor: "Well you know Assistant-san...Shut up, I just love women!"

Cut scene finishes, Androids are deployed, first mission starts.

K.Sabot

Watching the preview also on the channel.

Watching 9S fuck shit up as a partner, he seems to have some unique animations for how he does combat in comparison to 2B.

Thread was derailed when 5+ people starting bitching at a opinion they didnt like. kinda like Trump with fake news. People could have ignored the comment but no they had to make the thread about the one comment.

The ignore button is a beautiful feature that nobody uses.

Ubernube

Well, if we want to talk about other stuff, I guess how the game handles it's endings is an interesting one to focus on. The fact you get an ending if you die during the part of the game that the demo takes place in is very interesting. I'm curious if this game will be ditching the "you unlock the endings in a linear order" that every other game Yoko's worked on has adhered to in favor of something where your actions or failures contribute to getting different endings.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You missed the crux of the issue. No one is saying you can't say that you like women now. Consider the context of that statement in the way it was made and similar comments made by devs before.

The only context that matters in this instance is who was making the comment, and how taking his words at face-value is pretty foolish given his pranksterism.

Its entirely plausible there is a narrative reason for the way the androids look in the game, and Yoko was being glibly deflecting as per usual. Not to say that there is, but treating Yoko Taro like your average developer is plainly daft.

Ubernube

The only context that matters in this instance is who was making the comment, and how taking his words at face-value is pretty foolish given his pranksterism.

Its entirely plausible there is a narrative reason for the way the androids look in the game, and Yoko was being glibly deflecting as per usual. Not to say that there is, but treating Yoko Taro like your average developer is plainly daft.

And honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong if he just had her sexy because he likes sexy women. Least he's honest about it, that's far better than trying to come up with some silly justification and telling people they will be ashamed of their words and deeds.

Yoko Taro is my favorite game developerBut don't fall for his lies.
He thinks that all his games are terrible and he often talks down on himself. The ending will probably be magnificent. Would not even mind if he went full on Drakengard 3 with the ending.
I hope he goes full Kuroi hanaaaaaa with the ending
The reactions would be glorious.

I love the German accent from the guy. Which region is he from? I find it really easy to understand, and my German is really rusty after all this time without using it.

Man, I can't wait for this game. And I'm so getting that first ending
He thinks that all his games are terrible and he often talks down on himself. The ending will probably be magnificent. Would not even mind if he went full on Drakengard 3 with the ending.

I will. Well, not the actual ending but that last boss fight was a complete garbage. I don't want anything like that in Nier.

That playstation underground video was fantastic, combat looks amazing :D
Very hype and 8-4 translated and helped out with development so that also makes me very hype :D

Raptor

I hope the reason for the 2B design ingame is because the designer just straight up loves women.

Ahahahahahaha.

Like: "yo creator why the design is like that and why the clothes are like that?"

"I love women"

Thats it.

Crossing Eden

no one said that, there isnt sex negativity, only 1 person showed some concern and the I hate CrossingEden bandwagon came to town and jumped him(not sure please correct me if i'm wrong). I mean guys i disagree with CrossingEden quite a bit(like about 85%), but its blatant targeting
Hey at least somebody acknowledges that this is a thing,
Plasmawave...

Using his quirkiness to disguise/excuse a pretty common example of sexism would be pretty shameful. In the same way that people do the same for Kojima. And you know what's funny, so many posts ITT are taking that sentence at face value but are praising it, yet the issue is when dissent occurs. It's pretty transparent.

chrono01

I love Taro's bluntness and honesty. Keep on being who you are!

I'm pretty excited for this one. Actually, I'd be hard-pressed to say which I'm more hyped for, this or Breath of the Wild. Both are open world games, but Zelda has the puzzles (not to mention the nostalgia of it all) whereas Nier Automata has the more in-depth combat and RPG mechanics. It's going to be a great month for games, that's for sure.

Now ship my Black Box Edition on-time, SE!

Astral Dog

Blatant yes, self deprecating in that context and the context of how much a large section of the gaming community loves dehumanization and objectification?
Nada.

Most heterosexual men like attractive women, its' when that attraction starts to lead t objectification is when the issue arises.
Humans have a big issue with objectification,not only confined at sexuality but everything,we conceptualize as objects to have our own friends,our partners,pets,days, money,our feelings,our jobs,family,even ourselves.

And this is so common and happens so frequently no wonder people contradict you because it is a pretty normal thing to do.everyone does it,everyone has done it at one point in their lives and will continue to do so until we all die. An example like this game is mostly harmless stuff unless you see the big picture and thats were some people get confused with you.

Not commenting much on the game itself but thats what your post reminded me of ;)

DVCY201

It's the same implication as when the CD of FFXV said it's contradictory to want a non sexualized female party member. Subsequently, quotes like that imply that NOT having that mindset overtly means that you must not love the opposite gender enough.
Which let's be honest, gets reiterated near constantly in equality threads what with the accusations that we all just must hate breasts.

So is the implication that women must be sexy, and if they aren't, they aren't women?

Wrote a paper quite late, so I'm a bit slow today

Crossing Eden

Humans have a big issue with objectification,not only confined at sexuality but everything,we conceptualize as objects to have our own friends,our partners,pets,days, money,our feelings,family,even ourselves.

And this is so common and happens so frequently no wonder people contradict you because it is a pretty normal thing to do.everyone does it,everyone has done it at one point in their lives and will continue to do so until we all die. An example like this game is mostly harmless stuff unless you see the big picture and thats were some people get confused with you.

Not commenting much on the game itself but thats what your post reminded me of ;)
Objectifying people, and objectifying video game characters with a sexualized design are quite different things. I don't consider my partner, friends, or pet to be objects either. What the hell? I assume your point is that objectification exists in other games as well and thus this is ok. Yea none of that doesn't hold back criticism.

So is the implication that women must be sexy, and if they aren't, they aren't women?

Wrote a paper quite late, so I'm a bit slow today
It's the implication that sexualized is the default.

NieR Automata threads are going to be a mess lol. I can already see a Platinum fan making a thread complaining that the game wasn't what they wanted. Not to mention the arguments over the ending (I have no idea what the endings will be, but I know they'll be controversial).

(but any publicity is good publicity for NieR tbh, nobody talked about the first game)

yup i can see this as well.

Exentryk

• The transparent bars during cutscenes are transparent because they're supposed to tell you you are in an story moment with uncontrollable character, while still allowing you to enjoy the art in the background
  • There might be a way to toggle them off in Nier 3
  • Yoko Taro is by far the hardest person in the team to work with

Lol. I do hope this team goes on to make NieR 3.

K.Sabot

NieR Automata threads are going to be a mess lol. I can already see a Platinum fan making a thread complaining that the game wasn't what they wanted. Not to mention the arguments over the ending (I have no idea what the endings will be, but I know they'll be controversial).

(but any publicity is good publicity for NieR tbh, nobody talked about the first game)

I can see it now:

"What the hell was up with Nier Automata's final boss"

1st post: "have you even played a yoko taro game before"

LotusHD

Banned
I love Taro's bluntness and honesty. Keep on being who you are!

I'm pretty excited for this one. Actually, I'd be hard-pressed to say which I'm more hyped for, this or Breath of the Wild. Both are open world games, but Zelda has the puzzles (not to mention the nostalgia of it all) whereas Nier Automata has the more in-depth combat and RPG mechanics. It's going to be a great month for games, that's for sure.

Now ship my Black Box Edition on-time, SE!

I routinely switch back and forth on whether or not Nier or BoTW is my most hyped title this year lol

If I had to pin it down, I consider BoTW to be the the hype of the known. I've played several Zelda games. I know what to expect. I know the gist of what the plot is and how it typically ends. I anticipate the continuation of the quality and polish I've come to expect from mainline Zelda entries.

Whereas Nier Automata is the hype of the unknown. Part of that unknown partially stems from me having yet to play any of Yoko Taro's games (I will play Nier soon though!), but nonetheless, I still don't know what to fully expect from this game. I mean that death mechanic was a perfect example; shit came out of nowhere. But you hear that his first game was a cult classic. That it had a masterpiece of an OST whose composer is returning for this game. That its one big flaw, the gameplay/combat, is being handled by the beloved Platinum. That the director whose known for his wit and dark sense of humor is also personally working on the game, and loves genre-bending and weird endings. It is a game that by all accounts should not exist, and yet it miraculously does. So it's like, I have absolutely no clue how this story is gonna go, and yet I can't help but have just as much confidence that this will be a very memorable game.

DVCY201

So how do you reconcile liking the design despite its sexualized nature? For example, I like the design just from a glance, but I disagree with his reasoning

I routinely switch back and forth on whether or not Nier or BoTW is my most hyped title this year lol

If I had to pin it down, I consider BoTW to be the the hype of the known. I've played several Zelda games. I know what to expect. I know the gist of what the plot is and how it typically ends. I anticipate the continuation of the quality and polish I've come to expect from mainline Zelda entries.

Whereas Nier Automata is the hype of the unknown. Part of that unknown partially stems from me having yet to play any of Yoko Taro's games (I will play Nier soon though!), but nonetheless, I still don't know what to fully expect from this game. I mean that death mechanic was a perfect example; shit came out of nowhere. But you hear that his first game was a cult classic. That it had a masterpiece of an OST whose composer is returning for this game. That its one big flaw, the gameplay/combat, is being handled by the beloved Platinum. That the director whose known for his wit and dark sense of humor is also personally working on the game, and loves genre-bending and weird endings. It is a game that by all accounts should not exist, and yet it miraculously does. So it's like, I have absolutely no clue how this story is gonna go, and yet I can't help but have just as much confidence that this will be a very memorable game.

I hope you enjoy it, his games are always an experience and they're why I've followed Nier and Drakengard. I know that even amongst fans, not every game is a hit in music or story (Drakengard 3). So do know that his games do fluctuate a bit, and Nier is probably the better starting point. So yea, enjoy the ride. I'm certain it will be memorable.

Astral Dog

Objectifying people, and objectifying video game characters with a sexualized design are quite different things. I don't consider my partner, friends, or pet to be objects either. What the hell? I assume your point is that objectification exists in other games as well and thus this is ok. Yea none of that doesn't hold back criticism.

I didn't say it was right or ok.
my point was not with the game or you,just found the comment interesting.
And yes we all do subconsciounsly,the mind is an interesting place after all.
ignore me if you want Eden

Edit: i guess my point was that objectification happens alot in "real' life as well with all people,some guys will find your comments a bit weird but try nott get too upset about it just a common reaction :)

we have how many other threads that are going well, hell to put it in terms of how hyperbole this is , we've only had 2 "meh" nier threads(if we count this one) with this logic... so far threads havent been in a " Oh well bye bye thread" state, ever. Christ this hyperbole is bad. If you dont focus on one poster and continue to post about the stuff in the topic guess what, you can drown out the stuff you dont want to hear...
But no people have to focus on a negative point to them and attack the person for it and make the thread about one person's disagreement about the game.
on a side note, I wonder if Yoko Taro was ever able to play Undertale, he expressed great interest in playing it but couldnt because a japanese translation wasnt available at that time.
It's a problem when almost half of the thread is about it. I wasn't attacking Eden since he/she(?) has his opinions. It's the fact that the whole thread was derailed as a result. So yes I'll accept my post as hyperbole if it makes you feel that way thank you very much.

I just want the game and I pray that my Black Box preorder wasn't canceled due to an expired card.

EDIT: I do think you are going a bit off now Eden now that I think about it. It's been four pages of this stuff.

Hektor

Anything on the existence of the PC version?

Nope

I love the German accent from the guy. Which region is he from? I find it really easy to understand, and my German is really rusty after all this time without using it.

He's speaking very clear standard Hochdeutsch imho. Iirc he's from the Ruhr Area, but living in Berlin.

I will. Well, not the actual ending but that last boss fight was a complete garbage. I don't want anything like that in Nier.

Putting in "Drakengard 3 Final Boss" nets these results among others among others heh

Drakengard 3 RANT | Branch D Final Boss: How Yoko Taro Ruined The Game

Kaos Plays: Drakengard 3 Part 33 FINAL-Horrible Boss [Rage Quit]

Drakengard 3 Final Boss: There will be failures

Drakengard 3 Playthrough - Part 47 - Worst Final Boss In Video Game History

Drakengard 3 Final Boss Rage!

I just love hearing and reading reactions to it.

I'm not disagreeing that the boss is horrible, tho i think that's intentional. You can't fuck up the camera and the beatmap this hard by accident, especially when it's a fixated scene.

It took me an entire day to beat and it required me to start a YT-Video and synch that shit with my own videogame.

A one of a kind experience. Especially because the boss and the soundtrack is so beautiful artisitcally.

Top Bottom