• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nihon Falcom interested in releasing games on Switch

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
To me, all the arguments that audiences are exclusive to one platform are mostly self-fulfilling prophecies. Unless there's real, objective differences between systems, the brand of the hardware shouldn't be such an insurmountable obstacle.

Nihon audience is now only on Sony's and Steam? Isn't their games on Steam a relative recent development?

To me, all the arguments that audiences are exclusive to one platform are mostly self-fulfilling prophecies. Unless there's real, objective differences between systems, the brand of the hardware shouldn't be such an insurmountable obstacle.

Nihon audience is now only on Sony's and Steam? Isn't their games on Steam a relative recent development?
I thought it was pretty obvious that the poster meant their fans on PS are a known factor so it makes sense to carry on making games for that platform when they don't have the staff or resources for multiplat titles. He even clarified it several times...

Gu4n

It's very simple: unless a third-party buys the license to port/develop a Falcom IP to/for Switch, it's not going to happen.

I don't think Falcom's decision to work on specific hardware has ever had to do with how powerful the hardware is.
What I meant is that Switch looks powerful enough to run Kiseki/Ys gamed without having to compromise too much. With 3DS they were clearly limited by hardware, and even Vita struggled with Cold Steel.

But I understand that the biggest limitation for Falcom is manpower.

duckroll

What I meant is that Switch looks powerful enough to run Kiseki/Ys gamed without having to compromise too much. With 3DS they were clearly limited by hardware, and even Vita struggled with Cold Steel.

But I understand that the biggest limitation for Falcom is manpower.

It's not just manpower imo. I think there are also clearly certain perks they have enjoyed as a Sony developer, in terms of support from Sony in Japan for development, marketing, even localization support for Asian regions. That sort of partnership and closeness is very valuable for smaller publishers. If Nintendo wants to quickly court these franchises to the Switch with the demise of the Vita, it would be very useful if they could offer the same type of support. But then, Nintendo doesn't even do serious business in Asia outside of Japan so...

Fularu

Banned
Wasn't the last Falcom developped game for a Nintendo system Ys V Perfect?

I'd imagine his stance is more along the lines of "sure, why not if someone does all the porting job" ala aksys/xseed/nisa for the PC western market

Fiendcode

Doubt it will happen, Falcom hasn't made any games for Nintendo platforms since the SNES.
Technically they also published some of their older titles on Wii Virtual Console.

Falcom has been making games for Sony consoles since the original PlayStation, and handhelds since the PSP. I wouldn't say that's really recent.
Falcom didn't develop or publish any PS1 or PS2 games themselves. Their first developed and published game for a PS console was actually Trails of Cold Steel on PS3 in 2013.

Tonton

This doesn't really feel like they want to bring their games there but more they're trying to not rule it out yet. I wouldn't expect anything there any soon from them

Hey, can we get a new Sorcerian?
No? Okay :(

Kondo has showed interest in doing a new one more than once actually
Most recent I remember seeing
T-G: One last question: If you could resurrect a dormant property from your company past, say Popful Mail or Zwei!! Which would be a candidate for restoration?

Kondo: Personally, I’m always saying that the series or the game I’d like to resurrect is Sorcerian. System-wise, the game gave a lot of freedom to the player and the scenario followed from the sense of freedom. In the contemporary world of online games and things like that, it’s something that could be realized really well. Personally, I’m a bit unhappy they we haven’t been able to create a new Sorcerian.
One of my personal hobbies is to figure out what’s possible today with games and think how that could shape a new Sorcerian. As soon as I gather enough staff that share my enthusiasm, we’ll start working on it.
http://www.tech-gaming.com/nihon-falcom/

zelas

The limitations of portability can create a noticeable division in the types of audiences. I mean we're already coming to terms with the reality that Switch won't be getting most of the big budget million+ sellers.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yes I am sure Kondo is very interested in his overseas partners paying for porting Falcom games to the Switch. That sure is what it sounds like!

Yup, he's happy to take that licensing money but they don't want to actually develop games for Switch.

And I doubt many want to actually go through the trouble of porting PhyreEngine to the Switch. Nothing is preventing it since some PhyreEngine games were on the 360 but I'm sure Sony makes the transition much easier among their own platforms.

The Hermit

I'll believe Falcom being interested in a Nintendo platform when I'll see it.
Gurumin wasn't even through them.

I played 2 games form the Ys series and it blew my mind.

I've been craving for a port for the Switch, but I didn't knew it's deep connection with Sony.

If that never happens, steam is good enough.

Being on Steam is sort of what revived Western interest in their games. It's what kickstarted the Trails series after its disappointing PSP launch and where the Ys series sold its best.

So in the west, PC ports of their games are no brainers. Which is probably why all 3 companies bringing Falcom games westward this year are doing PC ports in addition to localizing the original console games.

Datschge

Their audience is on Sony platforms.
In Japan I'd rather say their audience is on handheld (which is where they moved to after abandoning PC as their primary platform last decade). But they seem rather willing to ditch that handheld audience now so I suppose they know what they are doing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Malakai

The limitations of portability can create a noticeable division in the types of audiences. I mean we're already coming to terms with the reality that Switch won't be getting most of the big budget million+ sellers.

They primary make games for the Japanese market. The Japanese market basically have rejected home consoles...

MoonFrog

Would be cool, but I'd imagine among the less likely areas for Switch to grow in support.

Switch is going to be most viable and attractive (from a expanding perspective) to companies with moderate to large ambitions in the Japanese domestic market and the wherewithal/strength to port to Switch.

I don't think Falcom's ambitions are too much larger than a niche PS4 audience can fulfill (?! could be wrong here; don't know how much they'll lose as they phase out Vita) and then it doesn't seem they're particularly well equipped to independently expand to Switch.

Idk. I just played Ys I&II, Felghana, and Origin for the first time this past week+ coming off the Steam sale. Bought Xanadu Next and have had TitS in my back-catalog for a while. Definitely a company I'm interested in and would like to see on Switch, but Steam can service me (as could PS4).

preta

Absolutely do not read too much into this. Falcom has not developed a game for a Nintendo system since 1995, and they've been very close with Sony for some time now. I fully believe the subtext to be "we're interested if someone else does the port for us."

Waji

Absolutely do not read too much into this. Falcom has not developed a game for a Nintendo system since 1995, and they've been very close with Sony for some time now. I fully believe the subtext to be "we're interested if someone else does the port for us."
It's not about Nintendo but about having a portable system good enough and popular.
Doesn't mean they will do something, just that it makes sense they could be interested.

Hilarion

I'm not going to say the cliché "this would be perfect for Switch," but I will say that I think Falcom would have quite a large audience on Switch that might not totally overlap with their PS4 audience, especially now that the Vita's dead. They'd be wise to consider this.

DiscoJer

Seems to me that they almost have to, since Sony doesn't seem to have any plans to release another handheld. Eventually they will have to move on from the Vita and probably can't just be on the PS4.

wrowa

I'm not going to say the cliché "this would be perfect for Switch," but I will say that I think Falcom would have quite a large audience on Switch that might not totally overlap with their PS4 audience, especially now that the Vita's dead. They'd be wise to consider this.

I think they'd only start to seriously consider bringing their games to Switch if Cold Steel 3 (the first console-exclusive game in the series) underperforms in Japan. If sales of their strongest IP remain relatively stable despite dropping Vita, then I don't think they'll see a reason to reconsider their platform decision.

Seems to me that they almost have to, since Sony doesn't seem to have any plans to release another handheld. Eventually they will have to move on from the Vita and probably can't just be on the PS4.

Well, they've already dropped Vita. Trails of Cold Steel 3 releases exclusively on PS4 and I'd assume their other titles will follow suit. As of right now, they seem to think that PS4 is enough to sustain their sales. We'll see if that holds true (sales of Ys 8 on PS4 are encouraging, though).

I think they'd only start to seriously consider bringing their games to Switch if Cold Steel 3 (the first console-exclusive game in the series) underperforms in Japan. If sales of their strongest IP remain relatively stable despite dropping Vita, then I don't think they'll see a reason to reconsider their platform decision.

Well, they've already dropped Vita. Trails of Cold Steel 3 releases exclusively on PS4 and I'd assume their other titles will follow suit. As of right now, they seem to think that PS4 is enough to sustain their sales. We'll see if that holds true (sales of Ys 8 on PS4 are encouraging, though).

ToCS 3 has a lot of work to do then, since the PS3/Vita opening of previous games was about 150k. I don't see it doing that much.

What they're doubling down on is Asian/western sales - which I could see working for stuff like Ys or Tokyo Xanadu that doesn't really rely on any existing knowledge of the IP; but for something like ToCS which is part of a long-running series of events, I honestly wonder if they'd be better off serving their core audience in Japan. It's not like TiTS 3rd did gangbusters on Steam.

Top Bottom