• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo bringing out a new Momotaro Dentetsu (Hudson IP) game out next year?

kunonabi

I hope this does well since I would love to see Konami license a bunch of stuff out to Nintendo including Bomberman, Goemon, and Castlevania.

I hope this does well since I would love to see Konami license a bunch of stuff out to Nintendo including Bomberman, Goemon, and Castlevania.

If they do it right it likely will. As cool as a Wii U game would be, that might not be the best place for a hit (unless it goes Splatoon on us). An early NX game might be a cool spot for it. Though I'd expect it on 3DS if they want big numbers straight out. Maybe a Wii U and a 3DS game ala Smash? Hell BN made two games in 2013 both on Wii U and 3DS simultaneously.

jholmes

I'd love to know more details about this deal. To be honest I'm not really sure why Nintendo would pay to license something given that the company in recent decades has wanted to lock up its software in perpetuity, and also given the fact that this IP, like most everything Konami is spitefully burying, can't be worth all that much at this point.

If anything Konami should sell Nintendo all its IP and Nintendo should license them back, for free, to use all those IP on mobile, pachislot and all that other non-game crap. Honestly this would be win-win, as Konami could still debase themselves ad nauseum while Nintendo could make actual, real games out of them, and probably curate the IP a lot better.

Maybe this is just a fevered delusion I cooked up after getting depressed reading about Nintendo making Bomberman games and Good-Feel making Goemon games. I dunno.

Nintendo has a lot to gain by buying Hudson's IPs, some iconic ones like Bomberman to ones that fill genres Nintendo lack entries in, like Bloody Roar for the fighting genre (Smash isn't the same, I mean with the likes of Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc).

Not every IP needs to be bought, I mean do Nintendo need some like Adventure Island or Star Soldier? I dunno, they'd be icing on the cake IMO! :p

That Far East of Eden/Tengai Makyō series can also help their rather small RPG lot. Did Hudson own Dungeon Explorer also?

This is a pretty strange game to revive. I'd think there would be a lot more popular licences for Nintendo to lease from Konami's rotting corpse.

Not really a revival. There was one on the Wii and on the DS, but I've never actually played them. It must be a popular series to have had so many sequels since the 80's.

There are a few Hudson franchises that Nintendo could handle nicely. Adventure Island & Bomber Man come to mind. There was a remake of the first Adventure Island game on the Wii, but that only came out in Japan. It was 2.5D and it wasn't that bad.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There was a remake of the first Adventure Island game on the Wii, but that only came out in Japan. It was 2.5D and it wasn't that bad.

I think you're thinking of the Gamecube game; there was a different 2.5D Adventure Island game released as WiiWare in all territories and it... wasn't great.

Koren

Good-Feel, the company that made Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Wario Land Shake It for Nintendo, was formed by people from the Konami studio that worked on most of the classic Goemon games, so if anyone should get the IP it's probably them.
Probably, but Nintendo has already so many platformers that I'm not sure they would even want a 3rd party to develop one for them.

I wish we'll get a Goemon soon or late, but I don't expect it to come from Nintendo, unfortunately.

As far as Bomberman is concerned, I'd love to see a new iteration (even the story mode of the GC game was enjoyable), but maybe Konami still want to use this IP, e.g. on phone, and it may not be as easy to license than Momotaro...

Davey Cakes

To be honest, guys, Bomberman is one of the IPs that actually makes the most sense on mobile. I don't think it's going anywhere.

sörine

Banned
To be honest, guys, Bomberman is one of the IPs that actually makes the most sense on mobile. I don't think it's going anywhere.
It'd be nice then if Konami released a real mobile Bomberman. There's pretty much nothing in the west though.

Davey Cakes

Stuff like Goemon, though? I don't see why not, if Nintendo wants to take a stab at the niche that wants more of that property.

As people have already mentioned, Good-Feel still produces fun games for Nintendo.

I think you're thinking of the Gamecube game; there was a different 2.5D Adventure Island game released as WiiWare in all territories and it... wasn't great.

You're right, it was the Gamecube game! Thanks for pointing that out. Was there really another Adventure Island on WiiWare? I haven't played it, but I'd like to look into it. It's a pretty underrated franchise.

Top Bottom