• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

JoeM86

Wouldn't replacing Iwata just make the next president more than likely to make Nintendo games on the iOS?

Yep. That's where the money is.

If they go for a CEO from the inside, it's unlikely anything will change, so they'd want one from outside.

Console business does not make money. PS3 and 360 showed that, taking years to actually start turning a profit, and still being in a loss overall. They'd shun that.

Smartphones are "where the money is", so the new CEO would force a shift. Just like what happened with Square Enix.

i cant wait til we get smash bros island sponsored by rc cola

ala
2292721-coca_cola_playstation_island_35934_screen.jpg

Oh god.

3bdelilah

Banned
Demos? Lol.

Launch a smartphone Nintendo, do it nooow.

Just out of curiosity, why a smart phone? Unless you want an inferior product, because there is no way they are going to compete with the likes of Apple, Samsung, HTC and forth. And their unique selling point would be their games, like a 3DS... No man, a smart phone is doomed from the start if you ask me.

Some said this day would never arrive, I for one welcome Mario and Zelda games on my iphone

Just out of curiosity, why a smart phone? Unless you want an inferior product, because there is no way they are going to compete with the likes of Apple, Samsung, HTC and forth. And their unique selling point would be their games, like a 3DS... No man, a smart phone is doomed from the start if you ask me.

Hey can I have your phone number?
sure, but you have to send me a friend code first, otherwise my Nintendo phone won't save it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Game demos? I can live with that, s'pose.

We'll see what they show off. I imagine it'll be a fairly rushed announcement/unveiling, considering how long they've been assumed to be working on a quick fix for the company's bottom line.

If it's ANYTHING F2P-related, though...

ronito

Part of me thinks about virtual console is so damned crappy on Nintendo's own systems, don't see how they think they could do better on someone else's platform.

javac

I think that steel Diver FTP game will be on mobile. I think they may also create a Nintendo app that's just basically a Nintendo zone with pictures and videos etc on why you should a 3DS/Wii U with trailers etc and maybe a Miiverse app and maybe a few little advertisements hidden as crappy little basic games at best. I doubt this will be anything crazy or anything that will even make a difference to Nintendo's sales figures. I don't have faith in it but it won't hurt them.

i could see them launching wario ware mini games on android/ios and other mini game things, stuff like the mini mario games, maybe a temple run mario, something nice as a taster to make people want a full game....thats only on a nintendo console....
its just crazy enough to work

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I can see it now, nintendo releases an app that lets you manage your eshop account on your mobile phone!

See new deals first!
First glimpse at new arrivals!
Add credit to your eshop account!
Send swap notes!
View trailers!
Buy games then later install them on your 3DS or Wii U!

Gamerloid

Virtual Console on ios/android, is there a better way to monetize your older games? Add in some ads for 3DS titles so kids will be interested to get the sequels after they finish Super Mario Bros.

Virtual Console is supposed to be a drawing feature for their systems though. No denying it'd make some serious cash. iOS Game Center giving their old games achievements would be neat.

makatk

Banned
watch (ideally) a full demo of world 1 of 3d world on smartphones go to number 1 for months on the best seller apps ,
here Nintendo will see a rise in the 3ds department (for convenience) and a little bump for the wiiu , then they go 3rd party and cash in ?!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This year is going to a non-stop Ragnarök for those that want NIntendo to remain as they are. Best to roll with it and enjoy the fireworks:

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

The mobile threat is very real, and all eyes will be on Iwata as to what his final attempt at a route map will be for the company at the end of this week.

Guevara

I can see it now, nintendo releases an app that lets you manage your eshop account on your mobile phone!

See new deals first!
Send swap notes!
View trailers!
WAY, way too advanced for Nintendo.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm more intrigued in see how Nintendo will provide content for other platforms when their own systems are starving for VC games.

I get the feeling that VC is actually very low on Nintendo's priority list on purpose, and that there are very few people put on it.

Sound like the kind of approach Nintendo would take with smartphones.
Nintendo isn't going to release their big games on third party devices since it would destroy the value of their hardware.
Nintendo isn't going to release a phone any time soon since they are a game company, they don't have divisions that deal in the mobile space like Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To be more concrete, The Nikkei writes that Nintendo wants to use smartphones to expand its potential user base by spreading information about new game releases, i.e. by using video to introduce future titles. (This will probably happen through some kind of official Nintendo app.)

In addition, Nintendo is said to be planning to put so-called “mini games” on smartphones, playable demos of console games – content that can only be purchased in full on Nintendo hardware. The reasoning here is to give smartphone-only players a taste of the experience without making the actual game available on non-Nintendo devices and convert these users into Nintendo customers.

According to The Nikkei, this content will be entirely free, and Nintendo is not planning to offer paid or freemium games on smartphones at the moment.

The 'information app' is a teeny tiny thing they should have been doing some time ago.

However playable demos of 3DS games is a good idea. If they're bad 'companion apps' that's not so good, but if they actually carve off a chunk of touch friendly content from the full game, I think it would be cool.

Whether it would be successful in migrating people over to 3DS though, I'm not sure. For that they need really compelling content with really compelling demos that can overcome the typical 'play for a few minutes, delete, move on to next thing'-cycle on mobile. We'll see I guess.

Mlatador

Banned
They should release VERY BASIC mini-games (like a very simple version of the very first super mario bros) that can be downloaded for free on IOS. Once you beat it, you get access to the latest trailer for SMB3D Land/World and maybe a wallpaper for your phone.

I bet it's gonna be something like that.

Demos makes sense, for starters anyway.

One of the recent Iwata quotes mentioned wanting to drive the "console version" of games. That obviously implied there would be versions other than console ones....

That sound like the most laziest and half assed solution for the "mobile want" investors.

Yeah, it smacks of a Band-Aid solution that will do nothing to address the underlying structural problem with Nintendo's business model, namely the rapidly diminishing appeal of Mario boxes.

MechaZain

Banned

See new deals first!
Send swap notes!
View trailers!

Revolutionary. Nintendo does it again!

rpmurphy

Imagine an Android phone with its bootloader locked down, no side-loading, region-locked store (Google Play), firmware updates that take forever to be rolled out. This is the Android future.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Adverts and demos for games that can't be unlocked on the platform they are being played on?

Oh my, they are going to get crucified by mobile gamers on the Google Play store, they are merciless for 1-starring any app which even slightly inconveniences them or tries to sell to them.

Nintendo is about to get a reality dose about the mobile ecosystem, and not the type they are expecting.

Merciless.

Top Bottom