• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 1H 2012 results - $367M operating loss, 5.06M 3DS, 5.5M Wii U forecast

F#A#Oo

Banned
Nintendo need to give me my Purple 3DS...

Why Nintendo will you not allow me to have one in Europe!!! Why!? I want to give you money... :(

Ouch at the loss but sales are pretty good.
I think Nintendo is going to have to accept the strong Yen, its been what, a year since this started causing them financial trouble?

Problem for Nintendo now is the 3DS is hardly so profitable to bolster the WiiU.

Sales seems to have fallen with the Wii collapse; DS starting to end; and whilst the 3DS is up a lot on last year am guessing a lot of that was at loss. Thing is talking about how overpriced it is at market isn't the discussion to be had; making it profitable is much more important than short-term sales.

Hopefully things go well with the WiiU, and quite frankly the 3DS just needs to 'tick along'.

DCharlie

Banned
please also read up as to the reasons why sitting on a huge cash reserve isn't always the massive awesome thing a lot of you think it is.

Teletraan1

Banned
They should have just had the consumer supply their own ram to lower costs further. At newegg prices that would have saved them $55M. :p

Ikael

I don't like how things are looking for the future of Nintendo at all:

- Shrinking handled market
- Little to no support towards the 3DS
- "Me too" console aimed to cannibalize the iPad and iPhone market rather than to create its own (WiiU)
- Rising production costs in a great depression scenario
- No new breaktrought IPs since many years ago
- Still not knowing nor caring about foistering a third party developer - friendly ecosystem

Striek

...Err, actually, after seven quarters, 3DS is slightly over what DS did in the same number of quarters. And this despite DS had two Holidays in both Japan and US in the same timeframe, while 3DS just one.

DS after seven quarters - 21.26
3DS after seven quarters - 22.19
Same quarter timeframe.
Thank you. That was hugely disingenuous what Shriek did with the numbers. He included 3 extra quarters for DS. Made zero sense.

Ehh.... wow thats incredibly defensive and obtuse. I included those quarters so you can see the trend. It did way less the last two quarters and Nintendos current forecast is 6 million less than what the DS did in its equivalent year.

Its not rocket science. The 3DS is doing way worse. It did have a slightly better first year on account of the DS dying way faster than the GBA did providing less competition, but its falling behind and its about to fall behind incredibly rapidly.

Nothing disingenuous, I posted all the numbers so you could come to this conclusion without help. Check the next year as Bruno posted and imagine what the 3DS will do in comparison.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

- "Me too" console aimed to cannibalize the iPad and iPhone market rather than to create its own (WiiU)
- Still not knowing nor caring about foistering a third party developer - friendly ecosystem

Are you talking overall or just West?

Jintor

Brain Training needs to be an e-shop title for maximal 10 bucks. It's not a viable retail game anymore, regardless if Nintendo still thinks it is. It simply isn't. Even at 10 Bucks it's stretching it. 5 or 6 bucks would be my threshhold to bite.

Art Academy on the other hand is also a kind of game that should be e-shop centric with a 10-15 bucks price point. Regardless of it's value, which is admittedly extraordinary, it's hard to convince anyone to buy a Painting Teaching App. For one, tons of people are immensely afraid of even trying it for fear that they might suck at it. Furthermore since there is Colors 3D and all those other painting Apps available on IOS/Android, selling the game at full price is just a hard sell.

Fallblox/Pullblox are probably the games Nintendo should be focusing on. They are brilliant, reasonably priced and addicting.

Nintendos reluctance to present their e-shop offering on the center stage is hurting them a lot. Their extraordinary high pricing policy is another hindring factor. Charging full price for digital versions of a game, on a system that has no unified account system is just pure robbery and irresponsible.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's pure robbery and irresponsible, but rather that the proliferation of cheap apps that do similar things in the mind of consumers has damaged the ability of the market to support Nintendo's demanded prices. But yes, I largely agree with your post here.

meta4

How is it a 'Me Too' Console? WiiU is unique enough.

Kouriozan

So basically, HD gen. killing console manufacturer confirmed?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
their $39.99 games are keeping tons of people away. even if they do buy the system, they're not buying much software for it. there's about 4-5 nintendo games above 500k in the united states, and then the next closest thing are a handful of games selling 250k-300k. that is terrible considering these games are traditionally strong on nintendo brands (sonic, lego, kingdom hearts, etc).

the $169.99 price tag is a huge barrier too. at the very least, it needs to be $149.99 next year, especially since there's no signs of a savior in the near-future, and i doubt animal crossing will do the trick.

and the problem is less about how they're fucking up the 3ds and more about how the dedicated handheld market is being fucked overall. if nintendo had gotten a grip and stuck with its formula in the handheld world, they'd probably be making some good money off a portable dreamcast with an emphasis on 2d games and some gimmick. and even if it meant the vita was where it was now, there'd be an argument that people want dedicated handhelds to stick around. right now it looks like consumers are pretty lukewarm to the idea in the united states and europe.

next gen, nintendo may give dedicated handheld gaming another go, but it'll be from a weakened position.

Great post.

I honestly think this is the last generation of expensive handheld game consoles.

I foresee a $149 launch price next go-around.

GavinGT

Banned
Same quarter timeframe.

Ehh.... wow thats incredibly defensive and obtuse. I included those quarters so you can see the trend. It did way less the last two quarters and Nintendos current forecast is 6 million less than what the DS did in its equivalent year.

Its not rocket science. The 3DS is doing way worse. It did have a slightly better first year on account of the DS dying way faster than the GBA did providing less competition, but its falling behind and its about to fall behind incredibly rapidly.

Nothing disingenuous, I posted all the numbers so you could come to this conclusion without help. Check the next year as Bruno posted and imagine what the 3DS will do in comparison.

3DS is ahead of DS and about to go into a holiday.

Neo C.

Yeah, not really happy with the current development. The stock price is down by a lot.
I'm not too worried though, if I had some extra cash, I would buy some more. The market is going to look better, and hopefully Nintendo is ready to improve their own internal ressources. A new 3DS redesign in 2013 or early 2014 is what I wish for, the XXL is good but it lacks the portability aspect.

Well, and it would help if Japan finally turned some things around. The last two years are really bad for japanese companies.

Bruno MB

Are you talking overall or just West?

West is basically overall for a company like Nintendo since the vast majority of their sales come from there. I find unacceptable the poor way they are handling their portable system here. In fact I think the 3DS is selling too much considering the poor variety of software (no western third-party support and Japanese games that take forever to come if ever).

Just an example:

For this Christmas season the only big Nintendo title in the West is Paper Mario: Sticker Star, while in Japan they will also release Animal Crossing: Jump Out and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth.

Kazerei

Banned

If Nintendo meets its fiscal year forecast, the 3DS will be 1 million behind the DS after nine quarters.

We all expected the streams to cross, but I think you're being a bit hyperbolic.

F#A#Oo

Banned

Ah no. In the west sure but the west has never been a big supporter of handhelds in general. In Japan the 3DS gets new games announced weekly it seems and the support for it is massive....even bigger than console support.

This makes no sense...the pad is not a tablet...lol it's a 2nd screen.

Nintendo has created new I.P's but they are on handhelds like the DS+3DS and the e-Shop.

Art Academy, Steel Diver, Dillon’s Rolling Western, Sakura Samurai, and Pushmo emerge on the 3DS recently.

On the Wii Pandora's Tower and The Last Story. Endless Ocean, Fling Smash and Xenoblade Chronicles.

You're getting it twisted because well Nintendo hasn't made any new I.P's that you probably care about.

Eh? Did you miss the interview with the one developer who said Nintendo's Wii U e-Shop was closer to Steam than PSN/XBL?

What then of picking up Bayonetta 2 from the grave? Or getting Platinum to develop a new I.P The Wonderful 101 and keeping the right to it?

Ubisoft is getting ZombiU bundled with a Nintendo console...which is a first for Nintendo.

Striek

3DS is ahead of DS and about to go into a holiday.
The DS had a holiday too you know.

Nintendo themselves are currently forecasting the DS will be about 1M ahead of the 3DS after 9 quarters. After that it doesn't look back unless the 3DS suddenly sees an unprecedented increase in sales.

Not factoring in competition from their own handhelds (ie. GBA to DS, DS to 3DS) and launch-aligning simply makes the 3DS temporarily look healthier than it is compared to the DS. Nintendo will sell about 8M less handhelds in FY2013 than they did in FY2007 and next year . . .

If Nintendo meets its fiscal year forecast, the 3DS will be 1 million behind the DS after nine quarters.

We all expected the streams to cross, but I think you're being a bit hyperbolic.
Second Apr-Sept for both systems the 3DS did about half. If half is not way worse, I apologise.

What? Have you been following nintendo recently at all?

Culex

Banned
Good thing Nintendo has all that cash on hand. At this rate, they are burning through 70 million dollars a month.

Shiggy

This is a main point. Neither Nintendo nor 3rd parties seem to really support the device with other than really safe products. Another Animal Crossing, great. A quick NSMB sequel? Awesome. It's no surprise that people are turning towards other mobile platforms with innovative games at low prices. Cannot talk about the Japanese market as it's irrelevant for most gamers thanks to another stupid business decision of Nintendo: region-locking.

Probably not. Wii U is pretty different.

I'd guess Art Academy was their last highly successful and new IP? 2010. Still, since then I don't remember much either. While I liked some of their new IPs like The Last Story, Nintendo completely failed to market them. Instead they put all power behind their safe bets like Mario, Zelda, or even the awful Quiz Party for Wii.

That doesn't seem to be true. They just don't seem to know how to build up successful third party relationships, if the 3DS lineup is any indication. For Wii U, some 3rd parties also seem to just ignore it or as if they have some grief against the platform.

GavinGT

Banned
The DS had a holiday too you know.

Nintendo themselves are currently forecasting the DS will be about 1M ahead of the 3DS after 9 quarters. After that it doesn't look back unless the 3DS suddenly sees an unprecedented increase in sales.

Not factoring in competition from their own handhelds (ie. GBA to DS, DS to 3DS) and launch-aligning simply makes the 3DS temporarily look healthier than it is compared to the DS. Nintendo will sell about 8M less handhelds in FY2013 than they did in FY2007 and next year . . .

Second Apr-Sept for both systems the 3DS did about half. If half is not way worse, I apologise.

Like the poster above said, DS had two western holidays in its first 7 quarters compared to 3DS's one. So it's an unfair comparison, but one that 3DS is winning nonetheless.

Your original argument was that 3DS was falling behind and about to fall behind further. But they haven't fallen behind yet. And you point me to Nintendo's future forecast as evidence of this?

And even if 3DS does fall behind DS, it's perpetually one holiday behind. Until it's fallen behind by 5-8 million, I don't think what you're saying has merit.

Where are the Fall titles for 3DS in Europe?
That's my beef with Nintendo right now.

Paper Mario.
Paper Mario.
More Paper Mario.

I keep repeating myself and no doubt it's irritating, but I'll say it again; not globally releasing Animal Crossing in the Winter period is a dumb-ass decision. A big seller on the Wii/DS. Missing out on a Hallo'ween release for Luigi 2 is silly as well.

I also think purposefully delaying games to "space out" releases is silly and ultimately harmful. We've had four big titles this year (Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis, NSMB2, Paper Mario). Is that enough? Especially if you're not a Mario fan!

Nicktendo86

I don't think it is all doom and gloom but the rise of smartphones and tablets really have changed the game.

I still think an all out partnership with Google would have been awesome, turn the WiiU gamepad into a full fledged Android tablet, day one the console would have hundreds of games. They could then release 'lite' versions of their games, Super Mario Bros etc on Android phones and probably get away with charging £10 just because it's Nintendo. I mean this would never happen in a million years (and probably for many good reasons) but I still think it would rock.

I keep repeating myself and no doubt it's irritating, but I'll say it again; not globally releasing Animal Crossing in the Winter period is a dumb-ass decision. A big seller on the Wii/DS.

I'll repeat myself; Paper Mario is unproven on handhelds. It can use the holiday boost in the West much more than Animal Crossing. It is also probably more effort to localise AC and with Wii U, Paper Mario probably felt like the better choice.

flattie

Nintendo rely on their franchises far too heavily. Understandable to a certain extent, it's what gives them such a rock solid foundation. But my god, I can't remember the last Nintendo game that got me truly excited. SMG was maybe the closest.

They've basically kept the same core of games for 2/3 generations, which have seen incremental improvements at best. Nintendo don't excite [me]. If they are too scared to really shake up their existing IPs, then they should be getting new ones to market (which aren't based around Mii's). As I said in another thread, Sony have three brand new IPs coming out next year for PS3 - all three of these games have turned my head and that's where, as a gamer, my wallet is currently targeted.

In the interest of fairness I should acknowledge the new IPs coming to the Wii U from 3rd parties (and they do look good), but my beef is that we aren't seeing Nintendo's inhouse guys really shaking things up. It's early days and I fully accept that Nintendo hasn't announced a fraction of what they have in store for the Wii U, but going on the evidence of the GCN and Wii, I'm not holding my breath. Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing in HD and with a few extra gamepad mechanics are not enough to keep me filling Nintendo's coffers for another generation.

liger05

I don't think it is all doom and gloom but the rise of smartphones and tablets really have changed the game.

I still think an all out partnership with Google would have been awesome, turn the WiiU gamepad into a full fledged Android tablet, day one the console would have hundreds of games. They could then release 'lite' versions of their games, Super Mario Bros etc on Android phones and probably get away with charging £10 just because it's Nintendo. I mean this would never happen in a million years (and probably for many good reasons) but I still think it would rock.

dont know how many times it has to be said but releasing 'lite' versions of nintendo ip's on android/ios would be the beginning of the end for nintendo in the hardware business.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
well, at least there's paper mario and fire emblem. strange how the 3ds is like the gba and needs intelligent systems to keep me interested.

All IS did on the GBA were Fire Emblems and Advance Wars. The Advance Wars were awesome, the FE were not as good as previous and not all were localized.

Can't remember much else they did.

Paper Mario.
Paper Mario.
More Paper Mario.

I keep repeating myself and no doubt it's irritating, but I'll say it again; not globally releasing Animal Crossing in the Winter period is a dumb-ass decision. A big seller on the Wii/DS. Missing out on a Hallo'ween release for Luigi 2 is silly as well.

I also think purposefully delaying games to "space out" releases is silly and ultimately harmful. We've had four big titles this year (Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis, NSMB2, Paper Mario). Is that enough? Especially if you're not a Mario fan!

There's also layton (3rd party but Nintendo published in the west)

Nintendo of America has been an albatross for about 2 years solid now. The Wii U launch is the only thing they've handled well in that timespan. With limited Western 3rd party support and apparent indifference on getting translations in a timely manner, why should the West buy the 3DS in the same volumes as Japan?

Their digital store is going to require a new focus and increased visibility. Software prices are going to have to be more flexible. And making Black & White a DS game was nearly as dumb as making God of War 2 a PS2 game.

I fully expect the 3DS to underperform this holiday in the US and Europe.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I sort of have a feeling (or I'm just being really optimistic) that Nintendo is planning on using Retro Studios to create a new IP that'll have NA/EU appeal. Probably just wishful thinking.

As much as I love Metroid Prime and DKCR, I'd just love to see what Retro could do with their own IP. They're a fantastic team with the potential to create an appealing game for those tastes on Nintendo's new console that can hopefully push units.

That being said, having one team making one game on either platform for that audience isn't going to cut it.

The major problem I feel the 3DS has is that in Japan, there's a ton of great content. The Japanese 3DS library is way more interesting than the one in NA and EU -- and that's a problem. It's also difficult to get NA and EU teams to work on handhelds, so I don't really know what else they could do besides trying to work with their third party partners.

Road

3DS hardware (Jul, Aug, Sep)

Americas shipped: 970k
US sold: 550k

Japan shipped: 1180k
Japan sold: 1120k

There's also layton (3rd party but Nintendo published in the west)
Oh wow, you mean that game Japan's had since launch? Lucky us!

I'll repeat myself; Paper Mario is unproven on handhelds. It can use the holiday boost in the West much more than Animal Crossing. It is also probably more effort to localise AC and with Wii U, Paper Mario probably felt like the better choice.

If they've got losses, couldn't they use a really safe bet?!

Booter

nowhere close to $20 billion in the bank. Entire company is worth less than 20 billion.

correct. market cap of 1,457,774,000,000 JPY
divided by USDJPY rate of 79.85
equals USD market cap of $18,256,405,000

just for fun, compare with:
sony at $12,146,100,000
microsoft at $236,056,500,000
sega sammy at $5,007,848,309
capcom at $1,296,792,031

please note that this figure, "market cap", literally means (Number of Shares Outstanding x Current Price of Shares)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS hardware (Jul, Aug, Sep)

Americas shipped: 970k
US sold: 550k

Japan shipped: 1180k
Japan sold: 1120k

Japan is impressive. They literally sell what they ship :lol
Americas means also Brasil and other South America countries, no? The last quarter they were much nearer

Americas shipped: 420k
US sold: 395k

Japan is impressive. They literally sell what they ship :lol
Americas means also Brasil and other South America countries, no? The last quarter they were much nearer

Americas shipped: 420k
US sold: 395k

So last quarter they have undoubtedly shipped less than what they sold

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, if they only miss their 3DS hardware shipment by 1 million in the end, that won't be too bad.

If they have to lower it again though, they'll have revised the system down notably every year that it has existed and may want to consider a more realistic projection going into next year.

I can't imagine doing this constantly is good for investor confidence.

Top Bottom