• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2016 Fiscal Year Earnings Release: Targeting 10 million Switches this f-year

Does seem optimistic. I'm wondering if there will be a significant price cut and if it will get the next Pokemon game.

Price cut seems more likely, considering they have titles releasing into Winter. Being THE budget handheld to the Nintendo Switch has its own merits to capitalize on.

Zedark

Mochizuki says this:
Takashi Mochizuki said:
Nintendo CEO said repeatedly there are "more unannounced titles" that should boost Switch itself's sales. Can't wait E3! (but I'm not going)
Pokémon Stars hype grabbing Kimishima, it seems!

Edit: Beaten

Price cut seems more likely, considering they have titles releasing into Winter. Being THE budget handheld to the Nintendo Switch has its own merits to capitalize on.

Yea, I think a nice price cut could help keep momentum for another year along with the release schedule they have.

oti

Banned
Nintendo are overly optimistic with their Nintendo 3DS forecast of 6 million units shipped. That would be just 1 million less than the previous year. They can be happy if Nintendo 3DS reaches 4 - 4.5 million units. At least it is a lock the system will surpass 70 million mark, I wonder if it can make it to 75 million. Below Game Boy Advance but not as far as 2015 results suggested before 2016 Pokémon resurgence.

Well. What if they are releasing another hardware revision and #
2DMetroid3DS
? #
Believe

test_account

XP-39C²
During the 3DS and Wii u and even the switch a heck of a lot really. Look through the switch reveal thread (January one). I mean there's a lot of overcompetition in it's use by Nintendo fans but it's still used a fair bit, or heavily implied.
Yeah, thats probably the last time i've seen it (during the earlier 3DS/WiiU day), years ago. I've also seen some more pessimistic preditction regarding the Switch, but i didnt see anyone talking about Nintendo as a company going under. Thats what i read into it regarding Nintendo being doomed at least.

Yeah, thats probably the last time i've seen it (during the earlier 3DS/WiiU day), years ago. I've also seen some more pessimistic preditction regarding the Switch, but i didnt see anyone talking about Nintendo as a company going under. Thats what i read into it regarding Nintendo being doomed at least.

They were doomed just last month when people were reminded about the voice chat phone app.

Waji

Well. What if they are releasing another hardware revision and #
2DMetroid3DS
? #
Believe
Or DQ XI effect.

I don't see any meaningful first party game on the 3ds anymore.
Maybe they have one or 2 big-ish third party on the side for 3ds.
Anything else would be a bad choice.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

olimpia84

Rösti;234870274 said:
A photo of Tatsumi Kimishima from the news conference:

tatsubgsyg.png

Photo credit: Kyodo via AP Images.

I am waiting for two other photos to become available.

He looks the same in every damn picture haha

A photo of him in a conference room looking stressed? ok lol

Pretty much lol

oti

Banned
Or DQ XI effect.

I don't see any meaningful first party game on the 3ds anymore.
Maybe they have one or 2 big-ish third party on the side for 3ds.
Anything else would be a bad choice.

6 million is a lot. Another push with a new hardware revision makes sense. So does #2DMetroid3DS.

Waji

6 million is a lot. Another push with a new hardware revision makes sense. So does #2DMetroid3DS.
Or maybe they're conservative with the Switch but to greedy with the 3ds : P.
And I guess Metroid is a joke since it wouldn't be the type of title that would sell especially so much.
The best I could see is a title shared between 3ds and Switch.

Pokemon and Animal Crossing.Nintendo is gonna eat.
Not for 2017 though.
They won't release most of their best seller series all in first year.
I don't see AC this year (and not so much Pokemon either, but we never know).

E-phonk

Banned
Whew. 10 mil...
Doable, but that's a big fucking number man.

Chances are they'll add > 1mil in april, everything they shipped in every market is sold out, and they must have foreseen both the launch of Mario Kart 8 and Golden week in japan for extra shippings.
(actually based on what we know the shippings are for JPN (about 40-50k a week + MK8/golden week boost) and what they shipped for march we can assume 300k japan, 600k US and 450k other are certainly possible)

So it'll be less than 9 million in 11 months including the holidays... They'll make it.

Huh? It's weird I came in here thinking 10 million was pretty conservative. I don't see them having a problem hitting that number at all.

Wow, those are some Nintendo-like profits! Also 2.74M is a good deal higher than most of us thought, very impressive.

Rösti;234862285 said:
Nintendo Switch Sales Units in Ten Thousands

salesh1sc9.png

Hmmm I thought NPD and NoA reported 906k for NA in March, while this is showing 1.2M for the Americas. Does this suggest ~300k sold in Central/South America?

jonno394

Wow, those are some Nintendo-like profits! Also 2.74M is a good deal higher than most of us thought, very impressive.

Hmmm I thought NPD and NoA reported 906k for NA in March, while this is showing 1.2M for the Americas. Does this suggest ~300k sold in Central/South America?

It does.

Zedark

And Canada, yes.

Celine

906K was sell-through for US market, 1.2M is sell-in for Americas.

And Canada, yes.

906K was sell-through for US market, 1.2M is sell-in for Americas.

Ah, I thought the NPD and NoA numbers included Canada but I guess Nintendo of Canada is a separate entity.

I actually would've thought 300k was very impressive for a launch in South America but if Canada accounted for a big portion of that it makes a bit more sense.

Also for the Switch launch sell-in should be roughly equal to sell-through. Can't be more than ~1% off, right?

Damn... Zelda.... BTW.. So 10M for FY17 so that means FY16=2.7M+FY17=10 = 12.7M By March 2018? And some says that's conservative...Fuck.. Thats really close to WiiU LTD.

Ah, I thought the NPD and NoA numbers included Canada but I guess Nintendo of Canada is a separate entity.

I actually would've thought 300k was very impressive for a launch in South America but if Canada accounted for a big portion of that it makes a bit more sense.

Also for the Switch launch sell-in should be roughly equal to sell-through. Can't be more than ~1% off, right?

The number was clearly stated as USA also I'd imagine there's a not insignificant number that are sold to retailers in the last days of the FY that dont make it on to shelves in time to be sold to consumers in the NPD reporting period

Zedark

Nintendo PR about NPD specifically mentioned that numbers were US numbers.

Seeing as they never are in stock longer than a few hours anywhere according to GAF reports, I would think that (maybe 2% or 3%, there's always the backlands where supposedly hundreds of units lie on store shelves) is a reasonable guess.

Scrawnton

My curiousity lies in how well zelda sells this year. If they expect Switch to sell 10 million this FY, do we all expect Zelda to keep its near perfect attach ratio? Are we gonna see a huge surge in Zelda sales every time another big game releases and new gamers jump on board?

My curiousity lies in how well zelda sells this year. If they expect Switch to sell 10 million this FY, do we all expect Zelda to keep its near perfect attach ratio? Are we gonna see a huge surge in Zelda sales every time another big game releases and new gamers jump on board?

Not at all, the attach rate will drop noticably but it should still do decent numbers this FY maybe close to another million on Wii U and 3 to 4 on switch is my guess

Top Bottom