• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Account" (Nintendo's account system) announced. Cloud based saves

TheJoRu

It's ridiculous that they're so poor in messaging exactly what this account system entails.

There's approximately four months left until this system is in place, why do you need to know this right now?. Also, this presentation was not meant for consumers; in fact, they haven't yet said a word about Nintendo Account, My Nintendo or Miitomo in any consumer-oriented context yet. They should, and they will, but once again I don't see why it is "ridiculous" they haven't spilled the beans already. For what it's worth, seeing as it is still pretty far away, details may not even be finalized yet, and if so it would be risky to say too much at the moment.

Roo

It's ridiculous that they're so poor in messaging exactly what this account system entails.

To some extent, I agree, they should have explained it a little better.
However, all this wasn't meant to be directed at fans (at least not at first glance.)
And since the services won't be available until next year I understand why they didn't go into full detail about it yet.

edit: lol didn't red JoRu's post until I clicked summit reply but he basically said the same as me.

Riki

I'd hope so. I assume they'll do codes again.
Actually, it might be you get points when you start up a game (linked to your account) then points as you get achievements.
The WiiU and 3DS already know what games you've played and for how long. They could give out points based on that.

Kitoro

Actually, it might be you get points when you start up a game (linked to your account) then points as you get achievements.
The WiiU and 3DS already know what games you've played and for how long. They could give out points based on that.

That's what I'm afraid of. They'll have to make the physical rewards cost many more points if friends could just loan out their games for other friends to collect points on. :(

Durden77

Any word on whether this will affect the games I've already bought? Like if I lost my 3DS today, and got a new one in the future once this is active, would I be able to redownload my purchases? Sorry if this has already been asked.

Pokemaniac

Any word on whether this will affect the games I've already bought? Like if I lost my 3DS today, and got a new one in the future once this is active, would I be able to redownload my purchases? Sorry if this has already been asked.

You can already do that with a phone call if you link an NNID.

I don't think they've said. If so, I would probably make my first eshop purchase though..

Rich!

You can already do that with a phone call if you link an NNID.

Doing that took me almost a month of back and forth arguing and legal threats before Nintendo UK finally gave in and gave me access to my games again.

People need to stop defending this shit.

Doing that took me almost a month of back and forth arguing and legal threats before Nintendo UK finally gave in and gave me access to my games again.

It happened to a friend when moving his stuff form a 360 to another.

You got the short end of the stick, doesn't means it happens to everyone.

But it would be nice just to log in, no doubt.

georly

Depends on how they want to reward you. Hard to reward 'purchases' if you didn't buy the game because you're borrowing/renting it. If they reward playtime/achievements and DIGITAL purchases, then this works, but without a 'one time use' code or some sort of built-in identifier in each cartridge (which gets linked to your nintendo account first time game is played - a solution that is probably expensive to implement), then you can't reward physical purchases.

hell, not rewarding physical purchases w/ bonus points might be an extra 'soft' incentive to get you to go all digital.

CasualTR

Banned
I love how late to the party Nintendo is on this XD.

This is a good thing, if it was one thing Nintendo was sorely lacking right now with its hardware its this.

Oersted

Nintendo Account will work with your ID and on Nintendo 3DS/WiiU. Lets say possible, but we will have to wait for more details/specifics.

AzaK

Agreed. Having to ring up and call someone is bullshit and on top of that any time you want to transfer a NNID to another console it's ALL or nothing and you need to kill the other machine. So I can't take one NNID on a machine and move it's ID and saves etc over to another machine and keep what's on there.

I love how late to the party Nintendo is on this XD.

This is a good thing, if it was one thing Nintendo was sorely lacking right now with its hardware its this.

I don't think they've mentioned that this means games WON'T be tied to a machine, just that you'll have one account. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo still kept that archaic practice.

sörine

Banned
I don't think they've mentioned that this means games WON'T be tied to a machine, just that you'll have one account. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo still kept that archaic practice.
They'll probably allow a certain number of authorizations if the plan really is a shared software library across devives. Basically tied to hardware in the same way iOS or PSN does it. We already know they're doing cloud saves so that's confirmed not stuck to your system in the same way.

I'm pretty sure they're going to do user account migration this time too after the headache this last gen was for them in that regard. Making it CS based was like a band-aid and in the end probably much more expensive than it was worth.

Oersted

Agreed. Having to ring up and call someone is bullshit and on top of that any time you want to transfer a NNID to another console it's ALL or nothing and you need to kill the other machine. So I can't take one NNID on a machine and move it's ID and saves etc over to another machine and keep what's on there.

That is the opposite of Nintendos plans.

bengraven

I hope that "buy games" thing is retroactive, because I've already bought all the backlog I've wanted.

Also hope this applies to old school 3DS. Probably will but you never fucking know.

Oersted

How do you know that? I don't think they've made any announcements yet. People also thought it would happen with NNID, you forgot?

Iwata said the plan again and again. The account should follow you trough your whole life, with games being tied to account, not hardware. There is no indication whatsoever that these plans changed.

sörine

Banned
How do you know that? I don't think they've made any announcements yet. People also thought it would happen with NNID, you forgot?
NNID did do alot (unify eShop wallets, track purchases, cross-buy, Miiverse, etc) but it didn't give us machine authorization. I doubt the Nintendo account will be just NNID + cloud saves though, they could've just done cloud saving through NNID as is. They already do for Miis actually.

Shiggy

Iwata said the plan again and again. The account should follow you trough your whole life, with games being tied to account, not hardware. There is no indication whatsoever that these plans changed.

The NNID can follow you through your life already. You can use it on both 3DS and Wii U. And games are actually tied to that account already.

I do not recall Iwata saying what you are implying. It would be best if you just provided direct quotes that make it clearer.

Macrotus

Q: ニンテンドーアカウントを作成すれば、ソフトをダウンロードしたゲーム機がなくても、別のゲーム機で遊べるのですか?
A: 遊べません。
異なるゲーム機でダウンロードしたソフトを使用するには、「ソフトとデータの引っ越し」を行う必要があります。
Source
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/qa/a/nintendo_account/q213.html

Translation of the above,
Q: If I create a Nintendo Account, will I be able to play the game on another gaming device even if I don't have the gaming device I downloaded the game on?

A: No you won't.
If you want to use the software you have downloaded on another gaming device,
you would need to "transfer the software and its data".
Please correct me if my translation has any errors.

So I'm guessing Nintendo Account isn't the same as XBL or PSN?

Macrotus

hopefully this is just for their current system, and NX will be different.

Yeah.

One of the things I'm interested about NX is they'll have a handheld and console version.

So I was imagining, for games that are compatible with both versions of NX,
I would be able to play the game at home on my console, then maybe continue on playing outside on the handheld NX when I have spare time.

TheJoRu

Of course they're talking about Wii U and 3DS. Those are the two platforms they are currently selling, advertising and providing info for. There's nothing to infer from this apart from the fact that the way these things work on Wii U and 3DS will not change. If you want to know how it works on unannounced hardware you wait until they are selling, advertising and providing info for the unannounced hardware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Of course they're talking about Wii U and 3DS. Those are the two platforms they are currently selling, advertising and providing info for. There's nothing to infer from this apart from the fact that the way these things work on Wii U and 3DS will not change. If you want to know how it works on unannounced hardware you wait until they are selling, advertising and providing info for the unannounced hardware.

On the other hand, you don't use the Nintendo Account yet on Wii U and 3ds. So I wouldn't be so categoric about that "of course" until this happen.

Top Bottom