• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aims to Have First (Second) Movie Out in Next 2-3 Years

Which Nintendo franchise should be made into a film first?

Results are only viewable after voting.
In what universe is Zelda harder to adapt than Metroid? Zelda is Fantasy 101.

Link. He couldn't be silent and he would be a hell of a lot harder to write in a way that fans wouldn't reject. Samus, despite Other M, is easier.

Plus, Metroid has basically been done. It's Aliens (with a slight super hero bend to it).

Oh yes..a Metroid,R rated horror type movie would be amazing.Not going to happen obviously though.

Maybe Mario Kart,similar to Fast n Furious

spekkeh

Banned
Link. He couldn't be silent and he would be a hell of a lot harder to write in a way that fans wouldn't reject. Samus, despite Other M, is easier.
Well excuuuuuse me princess, Link has been talking in media before.
Besides every Link is a different person. If fans don't like this one, they'll just make him noticeably different in the next installment.
Plus, Metroid has basically been done. It's Aliens (with a slight super hero bend to it).
I didn't know Ridley was a bounty hunter raised by the Chozo, fighting space pirates. What's like Aliens? Mother Brain? And what to do with the morph ball.

Nanashrew

Banned
Zelda movie would be narrated by Morgan Freeman and done and read similarly to a story book. Every time Link tries to talk, Morgan Freeman interrupts him to talk for him. Everyone else is voiced.

Zelda: Will you help me, Link?
Link: He opens his mouth about to speak
Morgan Freeman: That's when Link agreed to her proposal to help her stop that man in the window and he came up with a plan.
Link: Looks annoyed
Zelda: Thank you Link!

I didn't know Ridley was a bounty hunter raised by the Chozo, fighting space pirates. What's like Aliens? Mother Brain? And what to do with the morph ball.

It's Ripley. Ridley Scott the Director is the reference Metroid makes.

I wonder if they'll hijack Wreck it Ralph 2 in advertising to prepare for their modern movie debut.

Zalman

It's Ripley. Ridley Scott the Director is the reference Metroid makes.

I wonder if they'll hijack Wreck it Ralph 2 in advertising to prepare for their modern movie debut.
Wreck It Ralph 2 will be interesting considering it's fairly likely Mario will be in it. Sonic was on the Wreck It Ralph posters and he was barely in the movie. I could see Mario getting a big push.

Ok I like where this all SOUNDS to be going but they'll have to show soon rather than tell. For example it's been a year since we heard about the Nintendo-Universal Theme Parks deal and they've yet to announce anything official beyond the existence of some sort of partnership.

Show me something, Nintendo. Either a theme park plan, what movie you want to make, or the goddamn NX! I'd say Zelda U too but thats coming next month at least.

TrutaS

A cinematic universe where they establish the characters in individual movies and then put them together in a Smash Bros epic battle would be neat. I would be way more invested than the Avengers personally...

The main issue I see with these simple properties (Mario, Pokemon) is figuring out the action. What are the logistics of mushroom kingdom warfare? Does the cg goomba just poof disappear after jumping on it still? Or is it a living breathing creature that feels pain? Watching fire Mario burn a horde of enemies could be as horrifying as seeing colorful little pokemon brutalize each other.

Nintendo Cinematic Universe about to happen?

That would be Nintendo's Avengers.

Drew this a while ago, but I think it fits:

CaptainN_PosterWebWM-336x500.jpg

Ok I like where this all SOUNDS to be going but they'll have to show soon rather than tell. For example it's been a year since we heard about the Nintendo-Universal Theme Parks deal and they've yet to announce anything official beyond the existence of some sort of partnership.

Show me something, Nintendo. Either a theme park plan, what movie you want to make, or the goddamn NX! I'd say Zelda U too but thats coming next month at least.

They've already showed the space they'd be using in Universal Japan to build the area. Around the size of Hogwarts.

I could see a lot of Nintendo IPs working on the big screen depending on execution and format they release.

Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Kirby, Star Fox and Fire Emblem are perfectly setup for television series.

Mario could work as a lighthearted, self aware comedic adventure for the movies. I could also see a movie about Rosalina and have it based vaguely on her background in SMG. Obviously it would need to be spruced up significantly. Mario/Luigi's Mansion/DK would all also work as television shows.

Zelda could work very well as an animated trilogy. I feel if executed and marketed correctly it could be very succesful as well. Have the first movie very loosely based around SS' plot. Second movie loosely based around OoT's plot. Third movie based around the events of WW. Even though TLoZ's videogame sales are declining it's brand recognition is really good for a videogame. I could easily see a lot of people willing to check it out. On top of that I'd imagine the plot would still be PG so that kids could watch and enjoy as well.

Metroid is the only title I could see working well live action. However, I don't expect them to touch a live action film.... The plot could be something like Samus going out on a mission with a crew to take out all of the Metroids on the planet. Slowly the Metroids and other wildlife kill the crew but Samus. The film is a survial Sci-fi thriller. Intermixed into the plot are various flashbacks to different stages in Samus' life to flesh out her backstory. Samus succeeds in defeating the Metroid Queen and eradicating the Metroids except for one baby Metroid.

Pikmin I could see them easily adapting q good film around.

Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing and Splatoon could also work as movies.
A cinematic universe where they establish the characters in individual movies and then put them together in a Smash Bros epic battle would be neat. I would be way more invested than the Avengers personally...
Yeah I'd be interested in an SSB movie. They could also use that to establish lesser known Nintendo franchises and launch other movies later.

mdtauk

I would be most interested in a Metroid movie.
But it will never happen. :(

I think if Sakamoto has burning desires to flesh out the Metroid story/mythos - doing it as movies would be preferable to doing it in the games. Other M kinda makes my point for me. Metroid games (IMO) should be about isolation, desperation, and discovery. Not things that work in a movie, because you need interactions with characters.

Roo

A Kid Icarus movie using the same art style as Palutena/Dark Pit's newcomer video would be amazing.
Get the crew behind Spirited Away on board for maximum impact 👌🏻

what does he mean by doing them in-house?
Nintendo doesn't have an animation studio.

All the pretty CG you see in their games are outsourced.
Even the pretty stills of Mario and the gang you see often is made by Sega!

what does he mean by doing them in-house?
Nintendo doesn't have an animation studio.

All the pretty CG you see in their games are outsourced.
Even the pretty stills of Mario and the gang you see often is made by Sega!

Many talents in Japanese animation industry are freelancers. Most of them usually work for a particular studio, but they can go to other studios to help the production. Therefore, Nintendo can easily hire existing animators while not having an animation studio. Although I think that they will establish their own / outsource to the major studios like Production IG / Madhouse / Sunrise.

As I've said, any concept can be made into a movie if there's talent behind it.
Zelda and Star Fox might be the easiest, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make a Mario one.
A traditional story structure of "Peach is kidnapped" would probably allow for a good enough story.
I think damsel in distress might turn off some viewers in 2017+, so maybe they can make it that Bowser kidnapped Luigi and Mario+Peach go on an adventure together.

Javier

As I've said, any concept can be made into a movie if there's talent behind it.
Zelda and Star Fox might be the easiest, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make a Mario one.
A traditional story structure of "Peach is kidnapped" would probably allow for a good enough story.
I think damsel in distress might turn off some viewers in 2017+, so maybe they can make it that Bowser kidnapped Luigi and Mario+Peach go on an adventure together.
I wouldn't mind an adaptation of Super Mario 3D World with Bowser capturing the Subcon Fairies and Mario+Luigi+Peach+Toad going to the rescue.

Splatoon has enough movie material with the Single Player Campaign.

Ogodei

Nintendo would still use outside help for production, it's just that they would do most of the key design as well as story/screenplay in-house, those would be the key points of creative control (e.g., where a studio can take Mario and make it a story about divergent dinosaur evolution in a semialternate reality).

Penguin

They just released a short article on the production of Star Fox: The Battle Begins

and think this is what you can expect from doing it themselves.

They wrote the script and had it translated by their team, but the animation and everything was outsourced.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016...paign=starfoxzero&utm_content=behindthescenes

The script was first written in Japanese, and then translated based on the characters’ personalities by the same localisation teams who worked on the game.

This short was created as a collaboration between Production I.G. (who've been involved with a number of popular anime works such as Attack on Titan), WIT STUDIO, and Nintendo’s own Star Fox development team.

They just released a short article on the production of Star Fox: The Battle Begins

and think this is what you can expect from doing it themselves.

They wrote the script and had it translated by their team, but the animation and everything was outsourced.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016...paign=starfoxzero&utm_content=behindthescenes
Yep! They posted this awhile ago and I'm pretty sure I posted about it in this thread.
I think with the talk of partners that means Nintendo is likely going to do what they did with Star Fox: the battle begins but on a larger scale.
The animation studio got some assets from Star Fox Zero to help out with the creation of the short and help from the studio as well
Well I'm not sure how well an animation studio can use video game assets, it seems like this collaboration used it pretty well with the CG renders and the arwing being reused with different textures
These were the original models we used, and, you can see they have a very 3D CG feel to them! We made some modifications to these models, like changing the surface textures and lighting, so that they fit in nicely with the 2D environments even though they're actually 3D models.

papo

I hope they don't botch it. This "we can do it ourselves" worries me a bit.

Either way I hope they reach out to the Lego, Disney or whoever has done something that works. I could see Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Star Fox and Donkey Kong getting something. F-Zero would work as an anime a la Redline/Space Dandy.

Maybe Netflix would help them, but again Nintendo has this weird mentality where they have to do everything themsleves, try to "reinvent the wheel" and fail.

Dream project? Yoshi Story in yarn made by Laika studios or Kirby by Laika. Basically something by Laika. or Star Fox by Laika

Edit: ok that article above is a good sign. Maybe they doing it themselves with some collaboration would be good. Laika idea still stands.

That's not even the half of it! There was an OVA too that was about folktales. First episode has Princess Peach being taken from her adoptive parents (who were old koopas). Then Bowser came along and took her. The grandparents were in mourning then suddenly a large peach fell from the sky and thus Mario was born! (also this episode is the one that features Mario with a gun that many like to post and joke around with.)

Lol I'm imagining a grandpa Toad telling that Mario birth story to his grandkid and kids like "Bullshit story, grandpa, that didn't fucking happen"

Man I'll stick to my Super Mario Super Show weirdness

Hopefully Nintendo does do live action films. Just because the Mario movie was bad doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Almost everything in the 90's movie wise related to comic/games was bad.

Hopefully Nintendo does do live action films. Just because the Mario movie was bad doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Almost everything in the 90's movie wise related to comic/games was bad.
Animation is a good start. Suits all of their properties with less potential to be awful

Kimishima had already stated they don't plan on doing live action. Not only because it didn't work before, but because they would have more control over he production of an animated film.

Myze

Ok, I love Nintendo and their main franchises, but why do people think these movies will be great? I mean, the main reason Pixar and, recently, Disney 3d movies are so beloved is not just because they are well animated, but because they have, at least for a "kid's" movie, deep, emotional or inspired stories and characters.

Let's be honest, Nintendo has never shown they can write a good story that will reach a broad audience. Their games are about gameplay.

Unless they hire serious outside help, I could see their movies being along the lines of the Ratchet and Clank movie, just with more popular characters. In other words, a movie that should have been direct-to-video. A world/character/story that works in a platformer/adventure/Metroid game, but doesn't translate to a memorable movie.

All that negativity aside, I will still be interested in the end and hope for the best. Hopefully they realize that getting help isn't a failure.

Ok, I love Nintendo and their main franchises, but why do people think these movies will be great?

Mainly because they've had a good streak in their animated shorts output and have established good connections with noteworthy animation studios. We don't know just how much production they want in-house, but considering they're open to studio collaboration, they can just hire film writers to adapt whatever game plot they want to use.

Top Bottom