• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo could've had a solid showing if they had played their cards smarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I actually have no idea why they didn't have an indie sizzle real considering they have that Nindies deal going in most territories WITH demos (except for my fucking territory, goddamnit classification board)

gconsole

I guess Nintendo problem is no longer about not having anything to announce. But the thing that they have to annouce (and have announced) is nothing. It's no longer exciting. All the same game and franchise. Mario and mario and mario. Team up with another mario.

Seriously, Nintendo need to start investing on new IP or something more groundbreaking. Keep feeding the old fan with same franchise over and over, while releasing no new game (only Splatoon is the new IP they have done in the last decade). And having shit relationship with 3rd party.

They are making themselves more cult. Only them and their tiny fanbase. No.

And they cannot wait for another year to build hype. If they think WiiU has no future, then they need to start building hype of NX now. Abandon the sinking ship while making the new one. Do not keep your audience in the limbo like this. It's no good.

Kurtofan

Nintendo has a solid E3 with the Treehouse, all the other publishers put all their eggs in the same basket, Nintendo does something different, show gameplay of their games all during E3 and they get bashed for it.

Darryl

Banned
I don't see how, name-dropping Platinum may have done some good and stating that the Animal Crossing board game was free to play would have prevented myself to litterally facepalm, but that's pretty much it.

the gap between the star fox we were being sold before (just a year ago being peddled alongside two goofy tech demos) and a platinum games developed star fox is so large it's not even funny.

To me the real highlight of Nintendo for E3 2015 wasn't their Nintendo Direct, it was the Nintendo World Championships competition held a day before E3. To me that was the thing that redeemed Nintendo this year. I didn't find their E3 direct to be bad this year, but it definitely was very low key. This is one of those E3's where Nintendo wasn't aiming to blow anyone away outside of a couple nice reveals.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or maybe people should be more flexible and not see the Digital Event as a one sop stop but just part of a greater meal that includes the Smash Direct, NWC and Treehouse.

I agree that perhaps their last Direct just before was a little questionable since games like #FE would have been a nice surprise if this was the first time we'd seen it, but the stuff shown in the event around the DE were fine as is. Oh and the Yoshi's segment was a little odd considering how close to release the game is. But it was cute and it's nice to hear people behind the games talk about their games. It also helps show that Nintendo isn't just Mr. Miyamoto like it seemed to be back in the day where he was the only name dragged on and attributed to almost everything.

Besides, it's been the norm for years now that Nintendo's conferences are not the sole place for news. Even in the days of live conferences and no Directs they'd have stuff revealed on the showfloor or their website rather than the stage show itself.

Honestly, why do they need to "win" E3? Isn't having games to look forward to more important no matter how or when they are announced?

Also there's no defence for how Metroid fans are behaving. None.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think everyone thought the same thing when watching the Digital Event. The re-reveal for SMT X FE couldn't have been more botched. It took until watching actual gameplay footage to see what the game is about. Both trailer were absolutely horrid in selling me on the game.

CassSept

A good E3 showing may make or break a console. E3 2006 made people beyond the gaming world hear how disappointed everyone was with PS3 and started the initial buzz on Wii. Wii U's botched reveal - twice - while not the direct reason the console bombed confused the hell out of general audience and most certainly did not do sales any favors. We do have tangible evidence that Xbox One reveal made a huge splash - even after the console's launch many believed that you can't buy used games for it. The E3 message stayed with them.

E3 is still the biggest vg trade show in the world and the one that's covered beyond gaming media. It's a show that we know can actually impact a console's fortune. Ignoring it is foolish. Video games are a business.

The format Nintendo took last year was great, but it worked so well because the main event was paced well and filled with information. New information. This here is a prime example of Nintendo's inability to communicate with gaming and non-gaming audience, something we saw very well during Wii U reveal->launch period. Look at Treehouse Live. Treehouse Live was a massive success last year. This year the reaction is much more tepid because the show followed a mediocre at beast conference. You can gauge interest to that sort of stuff on GAF - after two days the thread has 3k posts, while last year the whole event had 12k posts, 3k during the initial few hours after the conference alone.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
It's E3. Please don't post quick reaction threads like "Wow Sony just won E3!", "Where's Rare's game???", "How will the other conferences match Ubisoft's?!?!", "Wow every game had playable female characters", "Was GAF's hype for Fallout premature?", and other threads that are basically quick reactions you wrote up just a few minutes after seeing something on a conference or reading something on GAF. During E3 lots of news and announcements are breaking and it can be hard to keep track of it all. Low content reaction threads make it hard for users to find what they're looking for, and because passions are running hot they also tend to lead to messes. If you just wanted to make a quick comment, try to make it in reply to the relevant thread. If you still believe this requires a thread, polish it up a bit and re-post when stuff cools down no earlier than Friday. Thanks. You can check this policy post for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom