• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2012

Trust me, you're better off not seeing the Phantasy Star games. And I say this as one of the hardest-core PS fanboys on this site.
Thats a pain, I would have thought Phantasy Star Gaiden would have at least been decent being a more traditional Phantasy Star game and not just a First Person Adventure

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looking to pick up a platformer or action-platformer for a trip.

I like: Super Mario Bros., Mega Man, N+, platforming

I don't like: Metroid, Castlevania, Super Paper Mario, wandering around and getting lost

Should I get VVVVVVV or Mutant Mudds? Or something else? Or neither? Or both?

I'd say both. I like Mutant Mudds, but I loved VVVVVV. Mutant Mudds has great 3D usage and I love the artstyle, but the core gamplay just seems kinda plain to me. The basic platforming isn't very compelling outside of timing when to jump on disappearing platforms, not terrible or anything, just bland. You can also get shot from off screen enemies which is always BS to me.

VVVVVV is great and even though all you do is move left/right and 'flip' the different areas of the game offer you new mechanics that change things up really well. It's short but it is definitely worth it. I think there's even extra modes if you want more as well. You shouldn't worry about getting lost in the game since you always have the map on the lower screen

I'd say both. I like Mutant Mudds, but I loved VVVVVV. Mutant Mudds has great 3D usage and I love the artstyle, but the core gamplay just seems kinda plain to me. The basic platforming isn't very compelling outside of timing when to jump on disappearing platforms, not terrible or anything, just bland. You can also get shot from off screen enemies which is always BS to me.

VVVVVV is great and even though all you do is move left/right and 'flip' the different areas of the game offer you new mechanics that change things up really well. It's short but it is definitely worth it. I think there's even extra modes if you want more as well. You shouldn't worry about getting lost in the game since you always have the map on the lower screen

Thanks for the write-ups.

Leaning towards both. Especially if VVVVV is short.

My big concern in buying platformers nowadays is that a lot of platformers are moving towards Metroidvania which isn't really my thing.

Just got Super Punchout for 150 club nintendo points. Sweeeeeeet!
3AQmK.gif

Here are my impressions on both Gaiden and Adventure - I actually preferred Adventure, as it's a very short and easily-digestable ADV style game. Gaiden is riddled with repetitive dungeons and an absurd encounter rate.
Gah thats a pain, I really want some more old school RPGs to play on the go and its just nice to be able to have them all on the same system. Oh well hopefully we can see some of the more obscure ones that came out on the GBC one day.

thomaser

Mutant Mudds is a much, much better game than VVVVVV. VVVVVV's controls are extremely slippery, and not only is it an extremely short game, most of the time you spend playing is spent exploring the ultimately pointless overworld. The main game really only has about 30 minutes of actual content. VVVVVV is a bit more unique than Mutant Mudds, but Mutant Mudds' controls are really solid and the excellent use of the 3D makes it a must-play.

Can't really agree with you. Mutant Mudds is excellent, true, but I didn't have as much fun with it as VVVVVV. And VVVVVV will last you much more than 30 minutes unless you're a pro and know exactly where you're going. It has tons of extra content too, such as user-made levels that are even larger than the main game. I don't really agree with "slippery controls" either... they're just quick and very precise, leaving no room for error. Both games are worth buying and then some, but I'd take VVVVVV first no question.

Mutant Mudds is...

Well I really want to like it. It's charming in aesthetic but it's not that fun to me at all.

There's a demo, so that should help you decide if its something you would like

zroid

Banned
Both Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV are great games, and although neither is 3DS exclusive, the eShop is the home of their best versions. I would get both, absolutely.

Anyway... this can be continued in the November thread.

Top Bottom