• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files multiple Nintendo Switch patents (controller, dock, architecture*)

spekkeh

Banned
Because of 720p resolution?

The Switch will be plenty powerful enough for a decent VR implementation. Especially compared to Gear VR and the like.
Yeah, VR on an iPhone is already terrible because of only 326ppi, the Switch has a ppi of 236. Then there's the thing where it gets so hot to need active cooling, don't know how comfortable that would be. It's true it is more 3D capable than phones though.

Somnid

Whatever will i do with my iphone and it's flash storage? All this internet, video streaming, music streaming... it's doomed i guess.

Are you a visitor from the past trying to warn us or something?

back-up-media-longevity-960x640.jpg

What makes PS4 and Xbox one magically not wear their hard disks and why would it be better than SD cards?

First, I think this conversation got off track because the system doesn't need to record all the time, just when you press the button. Maybe it doesn't work exactly like PS4/XB1 and they might do that for battery-life concerns as well.

But anyway, reads are non-destructive, writes eventually rot the storage. When you stream from the internet that bypasses storage entirely. Writing video to storage all the time would produce way more writes than these sorts of mediums expect, basically you'd allocate a temporary buffer on the flash storage and just keep writing over it in a circle. That's terrible for longevity, hard disks on the other hand have orders of magnitude better tolerance to writes so it's not as much of an issue.

Found this with regards to the tablet. At least we know microphones should be supported in some way.

[0152] The main unit 2 includes a sound input/output terminal (specifically, an earphone jack) 25. That is, the main unit 2 allows a microphone or an earphone to be attached to the sound input/output terminal 25. As shown in FIG. 3, the sound input/output terminal 25 is provided on the upper side surface of the housing 11.

Pachimari

4G/mobile: "Note that in other embodiments, the main unit 2 may have the function of implementing communication by connecting to a mobile communication network (in other words, a mobile telephone communication network), in addition to (or instead of) the function of implementing communication by connecting to a wireless LAN." [T:0400]

I wonder if there's a slight chance of 4G support?

TAS

Thanks for this Rosti! It would be ideal if we could get a list of confirmed features in the OP based off all this documentation. ;)

So your iPad constantly records your full screen while you use it? Since years? And again: This is not about managing files. If Nintendo will do it they took that into account. But it's a known fact that flash storage based mediums only have a specific amount of writehits in lifetime. For SD cards it was 10,000 a few years ago. HDDs don't have that problem (they have other problems though).
I have a security camera that uses a micro sd in the same way that you described, two years (non stop)working, not problem at all....

DMONKUMA

The Switch by itself have wifi or no? I would think it does especially if you're taking it on the go in portable mode.

I wonder if there's a slight chance of 4G support?

I'd guess it's simply just a no brainer feature to include in the patent application, rather than any indication that it will have 4g support in the final product. You want to put as many reasonable features as possible in the patent application to get the broadest patent coverage.

The Switch by itself have wifi or no? I would think it does especially if you're taking it on the go in portable mode.

Yes, it has wifi. The patent confirms that.

ASIS

Ethernet: example scenario given where dock has wired Internet connection; in console mode the system uses this connection, and in portable mode, the system can communicate wirelessly with the dock to access the wired connection [T:0560]
....woah.

Bert

Yeah, VR on an iPhone is already terrible because of only 326ppi, the Switch has a ppi of 236. Then there's the thing where it gets so hot to need active cooling, don't know how comfortable that would be. It's true it is more 3D capable than phones though.

There's VR and there's VR. I've seen plenty of peoole have fun with mobile VR.

Just thinking out loud here, but as it's a one device headset could something be done with the optics to reduce the effect? I mean your eyes are the same size regardless of the device, so does PPI matter as much as total pixels?

Somnid

I have a security camera that uses a micro sd in the same way that you described, two years (non stop)working, not problem at all....

There's a couple of factors. If you have software looking to increase storage longevity you'll write the entire space of the card to spread wear out. In the case of Switch other things reside on the card and you can't move them and there will likely be decent fragmentation over time and so you'll want to keep the buffer small to not clobber the available space. Say they reserve a 512MB buffer on a 32GB card, well then your camera gets 64x the life span if it can use the entirety of the card. SD cards are less an issue though, the internal storage can't be replace and that's where you'd have concern over a few years.

Roo

....woah.
So instead of actually connecting to our WiFi network when in portable mode, the Switch will communicate with the dock that has wired connection (either Ethernet or LAN adapter) for a more reliable online gameplay?

Am I reading that right? :O

Santar

A little disappointed by the lower specs while in portable node.
Now the question is how much of a difference is there?
I just pray that we won't end up with the rumored "play regular Assassin's Creed at home and the mobile game on the go", because that is absolutely not what I want.
It would go against what I see as the entire point of the console if Nintendo allows this.

Return of the wrist strap?

[0700] As shown in the back view of FIG. 54 ((f) of FIG. 54), a hole 355a is formed in the connection portion 355 of the main section 351. The hole 355a is formed for a thread, such as a strap, or the like, to pass therethrough. There is no particular limitation on the position of the hole 355a. In the present embodiment, it is formed at a position on the back side (i.e., the z-axis positive direction side) of the support section 352.

I just pray that we won't end up with the rumored "play regular Assassin's Creed at home and the mobile game on the go", because that is absolutely not what I want.
It would go against what I see as the entire point of the console if Nintendo allows this.

It could be something like 2x GPU clock speed, which would be ideal for allowing a 720p game on the handheld to render at 1080p on the TV. If the CPU does downclock too that can be a big problem, but I'm not sure that'll happen, even though the patent does say so.

ASIS

So instead of actually connecting to our WiFi network when in portable mode, the Switch will communicate with the dock that has wired connection (either Ethernet or LAN adapter) for a more reliable online gameplay?

Am I reading that right? :O
That's one way, another is that the Switch will communicate with the dock to ensure the online perdormance stays as consistent as possible between handheld mode and console mode. i think it could mean that going from Ethernet > Wireless is going to be as swift as going from home console > handheld.

If this is true then this furthers my claim that this console is fucking elegant.

luffeN

Is it possible that only the devkit uses a 720p screen and that the retail unit will have a 1080p screen? Would be better for the cardboard stuff if that ever comes to fruition.

Exile20

What are you talking about?

If the screen is 720p then you don't need as much power and it will save battery life including any heat issues.

Nosgoroth

Is it possible that only the devkit uses a 720p screen and that the retail unit will have a 1080p screen? Would be better for the cardboard stuff if that ever comes to fruition.

The scaling wouldn't be ideal for games that render at 720p, but I could see that maybe happening.

There's no way the screen will only be 720p if there will be a cardboard style VR attachment. I've used my iPhone SE on cardboard and the pixels appear clear as day. I'm going to assume 1080p.

Nosgoroth

There's a couple of factors. If you have software looking to increase storage longevity you'll write the entire space of the card to spread wear out. In the case of Switch other things reside on the card and you can't move them and there will likely be decent fragmentation over time and so you'll want to keep the buffer small to not clobber the available space. Say they reserve a 512MB buffer on a 32GB card, well then your camera gets 64x the life span if it can use the entirety of the card. SD cards are less an issue though, the internal storage can't be replace and that's where you'd have concern over a few years.

That plus I doubt a security camera is writing 720p30 footage constantly.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

So despite the reveal trailer shows the Switch running full fledged games in portable form, we are still having people thinking this bs?

Roo

That's one way, another is that the Switch will communicate with the dock to ensure the online perdormance stays as consistent as possible between handheld mode and console mode. i think it could mean that going from Ethernet > Wireless is going to be as swift as going from home console > handheld.

If this is true then this furthers my claim that this console is fucking elegant.
that's pretty neat indeed.
Switching between both connections on the fly without needing to mess the settings is a really cool feature

Taker666

It would certainly be better for VR if it was 1080p...and the additional cost would probably be worth it in that regard..

...but if Nintendo only plan to use it in a handful of games they might just do low end VR with 720p. Bundle a basic plastic VR headset shell with Mario Kart Switch for $69.95...and it would sell pretty damn well even if the resolution is poor.

well I look at lots of this and despite still being in the dark in terms of raw horsepower, one can't deny that there is an impressive array of industrial design crammed in to this thing, and rather elegantly

Did you by any chance catch the Switch trailer? Or the Jimmy Fallon demo?

"mobile game on the go" lol

Some of you go out of your way to doom and gloom a bit too much.

OryoN

Thinking more about the HMD in the patent, it does occur to me that it might make sense as a cheap novelty as much as anything else. I own an Oculus DK1, so I'm acutely aware of the limitations of a VR platform based on a 720p LCD, but at the same time the design of the system makes the addition of VR almost completely trivial, and there's a point at which it becomes cheap enough that the low fidelity becomes forgivable. Switch already includes a decent GPU, a suitably sized screen, all the necessary motion sensors, and two suitable motion controllers right out of the box. Even cheap mobile VR platforms like GearVR or Daydream need to include extra motion sensors and/or controllers in order to function, whereas Nintendo's hypothetical HMD would need nothing more than some plastic and an elastic strap. They could sell it bundled with a Wii Sports/Nintendoland style mini-game collection for $/€60 and at that point, even if it's a pixellated mess, I'd still jump on it just for the weird experience that would be Nintendo VR.

Precisely. I think people are missing the point. It's all about options. VR won't be the key function of the console, but if you can offer it cheaply to a niche base that would use it... why the hell not? Same thing with local split-screen multi-player on the Switch's screen. Surely Nintendo knows that's not the most optimal play experience, but given how naturally the device conforms to the situation, why wouldn't they cover that base too? Having these options is awesome!

Edit: it's not like a 1080p screen is totally out of the question anyway. Unlikely? Yes! Impossible? No!

Top Bottom