• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for stationary game console without optical disk

Could it be just a Wii U disclose version they are going to make and drop the price on? Maybe they see lots of people are buying digitally and they can make a Wii U smaller and a bit cheaper without the optical.

I hope so, because fuck. I don't want another tablet controller on a future Nintendo console. It might be enough to make me not buy it. Wii U is the first Nintendo system in history I didn't buy day one.

Kinda screws over people who bought Wii U games at retail.
13. The stationary game apparatus according to claim 1, wherein the game apparatus is compatible with another game apparatus comprising an optical disk drive for reading out a program and/or data from an optical disk, and a processor for executing the program read out from the optical disk to perform game processing, and an interface for the hard disk drive is same as an interface for the optical disk drive in said another game apparatus.

This may refer to Wii U or an NX console w/ a disc drive. They're keeping their options open in this patent, I'd imagine.

rekameohs

Banned
How does critical thinking work? Cartridges would be much cheaper than propriety bluray and a bluray drives in every console. They don't need to raise their games from 60-85 to make a profit.
Cartridges would certainly not be cheaper than Blu-Rays to mass produce. The disc drive is expensive, to be sure, but companies like this really make their money off software, not hardware, and the losses of cartridge vs. optical are far too great at this point in time. Hence, all consoles using optical now.

I really think this is a DD only console.

this shared network of games could also allow nintendo to expand their hardware in a sense, it was difficult in the past due to physical media not being shared, but with these cards you can do a console, handheld, tablet, shoot almost anything as long as it has a varient for the physical media of the card. Reminds me of what Steve Jobs did with the Apple brand with Ipod Touch, Iphone, and Ipad, except theirs was strictly digital and nintendo would be going for physical and digital.

Maybe this is a discless Wii U but that doesn't make much sense. I will never buy a Nintendo console that is digital only due to their habit of not dropping prices. Seems like an easy way to get screwed over IMO and they'd probably do something dumb like only give it 80GBs of internal storage.

Carts over discs is great, as long as they can keep the cost low enough, but sod off with another second screen controller. Was nothing but a hinderance to the WiiU, and will be another millstone round the neck of the NX.

emb

Could it be just a Wii U disclose version they are going to make and drop the price on? Maybe they see lots of people are buying digitally and they can make a Wii U smaller and a bit cheaper without the optical.

I hope so, because fuck. I don't want another tablet controller on a future Nintendo console. It might be enough to make me not buy it. Wii U is the first Nintendo system in history I didn't buy day one.
As much as I love the Wii U, I'd rather not have a screen in my controller.

Unless it's a rip off of the Dreamcast VMU. I'd be fine with something like that.

My highest hope is that the NX has an optional, sold separately tablet controller for Wii U backwards compatibility (+ ability to have normal U Pads connect). That would keep the tablet pad away from being a standard for the new system.

More realistically, they'll probably continue the dual screen on the handheld. Then they'll probably shoehorn that into the console too, for easier cross compatibility.

Nintenleo

I guess the cost of a more expensive format (cartridge) would be covered by the fact that they won't need to build an optical drive in each console.

Could it be possible?

Also, for what we know it could even be a Wii U Mini, a "3DS TV" or a Nintendo Box supporting Wii U games (digital), 3DS games (digital and cartridges), Virtual Console and mobile games.

Tablet with actual USB connections for external HDD / Controller attachments.

will run Android and be compatible with mobile games and apps

Thing will probably have a stand you can put it on at home so you can just pop it into the stand and plug in the HDMI and use it like a standard console.

This is my guess and what I thought Nintendo would do this gen ever since the Wii U was launched.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wait at this point in time what physical medium would have a more reliable lifetime before the medium becomes useless due to natural aging over the Years.

SD Cards/Cartridges or Blue Ray Discs?

jeffers

[0018]/the memory slot sounds like system updates if you dont get them from the server. Guess would also be game cards, since cant expect people to not have net.

I'm really curious as to why some people want carts over discs? Is this just nostalgia talking or what because it seems like a step backwards. Aren't they more expensive to produce and hold less data?

Again, I don't think anything here points to them using game cards, the memory card is referred to as an SD card and and "Game Program" is not listed on the memory card in the diagram or in the text talking about the memory card, "Game Program" is only listed with the hard drive.

khaaan

Based on the image (I'll have to read the actual points more thoroughly later) I don't see why it necessarily has to be a cartridge solution. The internal HDD is the one that says "game program". If it is a completely digital device then perhaps the memory card acts as an authentication between the console and handheld.

Fat4all

Banned
Could it be a Wii U without a disc drive rather than a brand new console?

Well, they're easier to handle and show off. You could theoretically use it in both a console and handheld, making it more versatile as well.

It's hard to scratch a cartridge, too.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm really curious as to why some people want carts over discs? Is this just nostalgia talking or what because it seems like a step backwards. Aren't they more expensive to produce and hold less data?

Super-speedy load times and durability. It's the load times really, Nintendo always boasted wonderful boot times and transition speed, I bet they've been annoyed with how discs have affected that over the years.

Oregano

I think the thing about having a screen in the controller is that Nintendo has been making touch screen games for a decade now and it would be a regression.

If they're trying to secure mobile games for NX it's kind of essential too.

Neoxon

• Faster loading times
  • Can allow for physical cross-buy between console & handheld (since Iwata was hinting at the console & handheld being "like brothers", basically a platform with console & handheld form factors)
  • Bigger storage formats aren't as expensive as they used to be
  • Can lower costs of making the console since you don't have to use an optical drive

Afrikan

reminds me how you could play these games on your console as well.

nec_turbo_grafx_16_turbo_express_by_up2knowgood-d5bm47g.jpg

Turbografx.jpg

Brofield

I was under the impression that flash memory is awful for long term storage use, so anything like an SD card would be poor form for archiving a game. Unless there's something about tech in recent years I've missed?

MrV4ltor

Maybe they just don't use this patent at all. They have so many weird, unused patents. Remember the one for Wii Party U?

Banned
Like I said in the other thread, I'd be okay with this if they sold NFC cards with cool artwork or amiibo's with the game codes preloaded on them. I need some kind of tangible media.

Escalario

Banned
Wouldn't cards make the Games really expensive?

Not if the cards are used only for installation. They could use really cheap memory that all has to do is unpack the game onto console/portable. Nintendo are masters of compression, so that would also keep the needed size on the cart pretty low.

EDIT: Oh god the thread is already on the page 5 lol. That's what I get for taking too long to reply.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Wait at this point in time what physical medium would have a more reliable lifetime before the medium becomes useless due to natural aging over the Years.

SD Cards/Cartridges or Blue Ray Discs?

Probably SD Cards. Ultra HD Blu Rays are coming out later this year.

Bl@de

- Faster
- smaller medium & console
- no noisy drive
- share games with handheld

Neoxon

Like I said in the other thread, I'd be okay with this if they sold NFC cards with cool artwork or amiibo's with the game codes preloaded on them. I need some kind of tangible media.
But then you'd still need to connect to the internet, something that isn't as reliable as it should be right now.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I think the thing about having a screen in the controller is that Nintendo has been making touch screen games for a decade now and it would be a regression.

If they're trying to secure mobile games for NX it's kind of essential too.
But by their own admission putting a Touch Screen on the Wii U was a mistake (both for pricing and not doing anything in paticular with it) so why would they do the same thing again and expect a different result? I really hope that this is an OPTIONAL controller type for the NX because the screen didn't do it for me on the Wii U.

Is it possible to have the core game(handheld version) on a cartridge and download higher quality textures/models on the hdd for the console? Similar to what Xenoblade X does.

This is an interesting take. Let's say the handheld and console used the same architecture and the handheld ran the same game but just at a lower resolution. So the carts only need to be large enough to fit what the the handheld device requires + save data. Then the console's hdd stores the hi-res textures, etc. It would let you switch between the handheld and console versions of the game by just swapping in/out the cart.

Then they could technically sell one version of the game that works on both systems, the console would require an internet connection to download the higher res stuff not included on the cart of course.

Super-speedy load times and durability. It's the load times really, Nintendo always boasted wonderful boot times and transition speed, I bet they've been annoyed with how discs have affected that over the years.
I can't recall a single wii u game I have played where I've though "man these loads times are long I wish this was on a cart." It seems like any added speed would be negligible at best and not offset limitations in storage size and cost unless I'm missing something. Also, good luck trying to get the non-neogaf crowd to buy your new home console that uses carts; people will assume it's inferior, old school, or "not cool"

Top Bottom