• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Fiscal Year ending March 2019 Nine Months Earnings Release (April-Dec 2018)

zeorhymer

Source: Nintendo!

Lots of things to unpack from the presentation. I'll try to be as concise as possible and hopefully won't bore people. I will start with the numbers (Mason) first.

Net Sales (in billions $):

2017: 4.89
2018: 10.557
2019 (projected): 12

Sales by Category (in billions $):

Video Game HW/SW: 2017 --- 4.631
Video Game HW/SW: 2018 --- 10.146

Smart Devices, IP, etc: 2017 --- 0.243
Smart Devices, IP, etc: 2018 --- 0.393

Digital Sales: Digital sales include downloadable versions of packaged software, download-only software, add-on content and Nintendo Switch Online

2017: $608 Million
2018: $842 Million

Total Hardware and Software Unit Sales (sell Through Numbers in Millions) ending Dec 2018:

Switch Hardware:

2017: 2.74
2018: 15.05

3DS Hardware:

2017: 72.7
2018: 64

Switch Software:

2017: 5.46
2018: 63.51

3DS Software:

2017: 55
2018: 35

Million Seller Titles For FY3/2019 (April-Dec 2018) in millions.

Switch:
Super Smash Bros. Unlimited---12.08
Pokemon: Let's Go (both)---10
Mario Kart 8 Delux ---5.8
Super Mario Party ---5.3
Super Mario Odyssey ---3.35
Zelda: Breath of the Wild ---3.21
Mario Tennis Aces ---2.53
Splatoon 2 ---2.25
DK Country:Tropical Freeze ---2.08
Kirby Star Allies ---1.16
Octopath Traveler ---1.08 (Only overseas were counted. This title is licensed to be sold as a Nintendo product overseas)
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 ---1.06
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ---1.05

3DS:
Mario Kart 7 ---1.07

Top Selling Switch Titles Sales Units Lifetime as of 12/31/2018 (in millions):

Mario Kart 8 --- 15.02
Super Mario Odyssey --- 13.76
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ---12.08
The Legend of Zelda --- 11.68
Pokemon: Let's Go (both) --- 10.00
Splatoon 2 --- 8.27
Super Mario Party --- 5.30
1-2-Switch --- 2.86
Mario Tennis Aces --- 2.53
Kirby Star Allies --- 2.42

Now for the nitty-gritty of what was presented in the slides. The stuff I picked out seemed to be the most interesting and I'll try to make bullet points instead of just copy pasting what was said.

Switch was launched in March and had a slow start, but during the holiday season 2018, it was rapidly catching up to the sales of the Wii in the holiday of 2006. Wii sold 20m while Switch was 15m.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the fastest selling games for Nintendo. Apparently, it's news to Nintendo that not only new players were buying the game, but all of the returning customers as well. (Sometimes it surprises me how little it takes for companies to be surprised.)

"Super Mario Party was released in October of last year. The Mario Party series may be generally viewed as being popular with families and kids, but this new title is also being enjoyed by consumers in their twenties... The game meshes well with our “play anytime, anywhere, with anyone” concept for Nintendo Switch..."

Third party publishers are seeing more than twofold revenue with the Switch.

The current market environment for smart device applications is showing signs of maturity, and the competition is becoming even fiercer. Also, it’s becoming difficult to create different game experiences on different devices. And, with the pervasiveness of smart devices, the gaming population has expanded rapidly beyond the reach of Nintendo's dedicated video game products. We will continue to propose products that are not limited by the definition of “game,” and that bring entertainment to various consumers regardless of region, gender, or age. However, the term of “gaming population expansion” itself does not fit in the current situation.

Nintendo Account, on the other hand, is the foothold for constructing long-term relationships between consumers and Nintendo. It forms the basis of our strong interaction to deepen the connection between consumers and Nintendo. That’s why it is represented on this slide as the small circle that is closest to Nintendo. Initiatives like My Nintendo and our efforts to strengthen Nintendo Switch Online and the digital business are all linked within our business based on the use of Nintendo Account. We are using Nintendo Account to enhance consumer satisfaction and build continuing close and trusting relationships with them. Both the active use of Nintendo IP and the promotion of business based on the use of Nintendo Account have increasing points of contact with consumers in common, and we intend to use the combination of these two as a foothold to continue stabilizing revenue and boosting profitability.

This is important. It seems that Nintendo was late to the smartphone/mobile party and they are trying to figure a way to get into the market without actually being in the market. From my understanding, they will start to use the Nintendo Account which will bridge the gap of Nintendo video games and mobile apps. I had a hunch this was going to happen when I read the background about the new president and his welcome speech.

Nintendo is currently working with 3 pillars: video game platform business, mobile business, and IP expansion.

I'll do the simple one first. IP expansion is basically whoring out your IP to various businesses. An example would be Monopoly using the Mario characters or the Zelda concerts.

The video game platform will slowly shift towards using the Nintendo Switch Online to expand the business. "Nintendo Switch Online has had a good start, with the number of subscribers surpassing 8 million accounts not including free trials. In keeping with our goal of providing Nintendo Switch owners with “More Games. More Features. More Fun,” we are working on continuing to expand the service offerings."

Mobile devices will have more collaborative ventures instead of Nintendo actually making the games. They will also try to leverage the Nintendo Account along with the games. "We use events, major updates, and other methods to ensure that consumer continue to enjoy our existing applications. Fire Emblem Heroes is almost completely localized into Portuguese, and will be released in the South American market. Likewise, Dragalia Lost will also be newly released in English-speaking countries such as Canada, UK, and Australia.

...we are now targeting a summer 2019 release for Mario Kart Tour in order to enhance the quality and expand service contents, such as in-game events, after its release.

And today, we announced our collaboration with LINE Corporation in the smart-device application business. Under this collaboration, we plan to release Dr. Mario World in early summer 2019 for the global market, including Japan and the United States.

That's the report in a nutshell. Of course who wouldn't want to know what's coming up in the year!

Upcoming games (for US) in 2019:

First Party:

3DS:
Yo-Kai Watch 3
Kirby's Epic Yarn

Switch:

Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Pokemon RPG (late 2019)
Animal Crossing
Luigi's Mansion 3
Daemon X Machina
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
Bayonetta 3 (TBA)
Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)

Third Party:

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Onimusha: Warlords
Wargroove
Goat Simulator: The GOATY
When Ski Lifts Go Wrong
Pikuniku
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
SMITE
Dragon Marked for Death
Unruly Heroes
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Trials Rising
Mortal Kombat 11

Chittagong

Gold Member
7f5.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks OP for collecting all that info together.

Reading through that, I get the sense that we are at mid term peak Nintendo. Mobile can’t grow a huge amount due to fierce competition. Switch is selling as much as it possibly can. IP whoring will never be a big business (see - Rovio financials). So they don’t really have a growth story.

2019 slate for Switch looks solid. I am pleased that it looks like I’ll have time to play everything. Metroid Prime 4 still on that list does make validity of the info questionable though.

Mr Hyde

When are they going to have a Direct and show us some of the 2019 roadmap? They have sold 30+ million consoles and it feels like they are just sitting on their asses counting money.

Top Bottom