• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France "hard at work on Shin Megami Tensei 4's localization"

Zornica

Banned
1) I was talking about Xenoblade, as hinted by your post
2) that's the delay between the releases, not any form of anouncement. I seriously doubt the game was announced in Feb. 2013 for the US.
3) I highly doubt there were so much j-RPGs that came out in the EU and not the US. I actually couldn't even name one.

monado was announced at e3 2009 for an NA release. It came out in 2012 - that's actually 3 years.
with nothing but silence in between

terranigma.

Faustek

"you"? I'm European too, I'm just sick of our moaning and self-pity. It's pathetic.
Times are changing and games like smt4 are rather the exception than the rule by now - as it should've been from the start. But at least we're making some progress.

Yes, Atlus still sucks for us, but at least we are getting the games faster than before.

What's pathetic is people accepting it and just rolling over with a pre greased ass ready to take the dick of region locking.

What's even more pathetic is announcing it and then staying silent for more than a year.

And self pity? No clue about that. I'll buy it elsewhere(already did).

saturnine

Etrian Odyssey was also NOE published as was Trauma Center and they were FIGS. They also had some weird UK changes...something like Troubadour to Bard (there are Troubadour in Fire Emblem for goodness sake...).

Are you talking about the DS Etrian Odysseys ? Because IV and Untold are English only.

I wouldn't even mind if the games were not translated, I feel like the english version is better most of the time, but they really need to create Atlus Europe.

Jisgsaw

monado was announced at e3 2009 for an NA release. It came out in 2012 - that's actually 3 years.
with nothing but silence in between

terranigma.

Xenoblade was announced in 2009, I don't remember there ever being a release announcement. For what it's worth, the Wiki article says so too:
The game was first released on June 10, 2010 in Japan, and later localized and released in August 19, 2011 in Europe. Despite this, significant time pass without any confirmation or information on a North American release

Yikes, one game.
Should I start the Us vs PAL list?

Zornica

Banned
What's pathetic is people accepting it and just rolling over with a pre greased ass ready to take the dick of region locking.

What's even more pathetic is announcing it and then staying silent for more than a year.

And self pity? No clue about that. I'll buy it elsewhere(already did).

I'm not accepting "it", I already bought a japanese 3ds about a year ago, do you really think I like to spend 200 bucks on a system I already own but can't use for anything but "pal" games?

No, I don't. But I'm also not willing to just jump on hate-band wagon. Complaining is easy, understanding is hard, and I'm way more interested in the latter. We don't know the reason for why they stayed silent for a year (yet). And I don't believe in "because they hate us". I'd rather know the facts than complain about assumptions.#

Yikes, one game.
Should I start the Us vs PAL list?
does that list consist of games released in the last 6 years?

Jisgsaw

No, I don't. But I'm also not willing to just jump on hate-band wagon. Complaining is easy, understanding is hard, and I'm way more interested in the latter. We don't know the reason for why they stayed silent for a year (yet). And I don't believe in "because they hate us". I'd rather know the facts than complain about assumptions.#

Atlus being the last ones to have such delays is on the contrary a serious reason to moan. Smaller companies showed there is absolutely no justification for such delays. And they aren't doing better than before, the delays are more or less the same than 10 years ago, if not worse.

does that list consist of games released in the last 6 years?

If you insist.
I already have three on top of my head, without searching: Radiant Historia, Arc Rise Fantasia and Raidou 2.

The situations is clearly better than 14 years ago, appart from Atlus I'd even say it's more or less the same between US and PAL.

Edit: but I really don't see why I should limit myself to 6 years, when you quoted a 20 year old game

gngf123

Oh are we at the point where we compare the complete shit that Europe has got vs the few games that America got late and mistakenly think that they are even vaguely close?

Spoilers: They are not. In any way.

Atlus being the last ones to have such delays is on the contrary a serious reason to moan. Smaller companies showed there is absolutely no justification for such delays. And they aren't doing better than before, the delays are more or less the same than 10 years ago, if not worse.

If you insist.
I already have three on top of my head, without searching: Radiant Historia, Arc Rise Fantasia and Raidou 2.

The situations is clearly better than 14 years ago, appart from Atlus I'd even say it's more or less the same between US and PAL.

Easy list if we are talking Atlus. Not only did we miss Radiant Historia, but we missed Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey 2 -3 as well. Not to mention the complete mess that was the Devil Survivor launch.

Z..

this will be a quality release for everyone (and not only English-speaking people).

Fuck this mentality. Because some french, german, spanish and italian gamers are too lazy (yes, lazy... everyone in the western world should be fluent in english nowdays, it's a necessity) to properly learn any foreign language, we always have to suffer. I don't get why the rest of Europe doesn't get a different version than those 4 countries.

English isn't my 1st language, btw...

Zornica

Banned

If you insist.

Edit: but I really don't see why I should limit myself to 6 years, when you quoted a 20 year old game

at least we can agree on atlus.

I quoted a 20 year old game because that's the first one that comes to mind when someone asks for a jrpg that never made it to the US. And an absolutely awesome one too.

There is no point in going beyond the wii/ds days as improvements only started recently.
I shall counter your examples with jam with the band, Hotel Dusk and Project Zero 2 (aka Fatal Frame 2).

Fuck this mentality. Because some french, german, spanish and italian gamers are too lazy (yes, lazy... everyone in the western world should be fluent in english nowdays, it's a necessity) to properly learn any foreign language, we always have to suffer. I don't get why the rest of Europe doesn't get a different version than those 4 countries.

too lazy? has it ever occurred to you that MAYBE some people have some trouble with learning other languages?

Zhao_Yun

There is no point in going beyond the wii/ds days as improvements only started recently.
I shall counter your examples with jam with the band, Hotel Dusk and Project Zero 2 (aka Fatal Frame 2).

I am pretty sure that Hotel Dusk was released in the US as well.

Faustek

I'm not accepting "it", I already bought a japanese 3ds about a year ago, do you really think I like to spend 200 bucks on a system I already own but can't use for anything but "pal" games?

What's even easier is not implemented a region lock.

But I can see your point but I'll still tell them to stick it somewhere.

gngf123

I quoted a 20 year old game because that's the first one that comes to mind when someone asks for a jrpg that never made it to the US. And an absolutely awesome one too.

too lazy? has it ever occurred to you that MAYBE some people have some trouble with learning other languages?

Hotel Dusk was released in the US as well, and before Europe on top.

Fatal Frame 2 is correct, but the number of games you guys has missed is tiny compared to the vast library of games Europe hasn't got over the years.

Zornica

Banned
meant, last window, sry
I'll throw in an extra Another Code R and tingles rose rupee land for good measures.

ok, I guess you didn't understand my point:

I never said we didn't miss out on any games. I said things improved considerably over the years and should be at least acknowledged.

As far as 3ds games go, SMT4 (and rf4) is an exception, and not the rule anymore.

Jisgsaw

As someone stated, you can add lots of Atlus games (EO, Strange Journey).
No disrespect for the game you countered with, but, appart for Arc Rise Fantasia maybe, these are all games I'd say are significantly better than Hotel Dusk or Fatal Frame.

And I was talking jRPG, it could well be that some obscure mini games or eastern Europe RPGs didn't make it oversees, but honestly, I don't really care for them.

To be fair, I've yet to see a game that has hard english.
No, the problem is more that some people don't want to play/watch anything in something that's not their native tong, and that's normal.

Khrno

As a South American kid who grew up playing games only in English due to the non-existant Spanish localization in the 80s and 90s, I do think that people that don't want to learn English, specially with the current globalization, that they are mostly lazy.

Sadist

To be fair, I've yet to see a game that has hard english.
No, the problem is more that some people don't want to play/watch anything in something that's not their native tong, and that's normal.
What exactly is "hard" English anyway? I know we're on a enthousiasts messageboard, but some of us need to realise that not everyone has the same basic English reading skills as some folks do here on GAF. It all depends on how they were educated in their countries, personal interests and more importantly; understanding of the language itself.

Sure, if SMT IV only had a English text/VA version in Europe I would have bought that in a heartbeat. But I do realise that would limit it's appeal for the European market in general.

Thanks eighties and nineties tv for my English language skills!

Zornica

Banned
As a South American kid who grew up playing games only in English due to the non-existant Spanish localization in the 80s and 90s, I do think that people that don't want to learn English, specially with the current globalization, that they are mostly lazy.

Have you ever been to Europe? for most people outside the uk, english is pretty much useless. Why would they spend years to learn english if they could just as well learn something that actually matters to their lives.
If you are concerned with globalization, you should probably brush up your mandarin ;)

Jisgsaw

Have you ever been to Europe? for most people outside the uk, english is pretty much useless. Why would they spend years to learn english if they could just as well learn something that actually matters to their lives.
If you are concerned with globalization, you should probably brush up your mandarin ;)

If you study anything meaningfull, you can't go around really well without english (well you can, but it's a bigger pain in the ass than just learning basic english).

What exactly is "hard" English anyway? I know we're on a enthousiasts messageboard, but some of us need to realise that not everyone has the same basic English reading skills as some folks do here on GAF. It all depends on how they were educated in their countries, personal interests and more importantly; understanding of the language itself.

By "hard", I mean using not commonly used vocalubary, specific grammar/sentence construction and so on.
There's a good reason why english took over french as the common exchange language (well, other that it being the US's language): it's incredibly easy to understand basic english, and to make yourself be understood.
The language offers much more than that, but getting the basics is quite fast, and is sufficient for most of the games.

Khrno

Due to my work I travel constantly to France and Germany, not mentioning that I've visited every other western european country on holidays, and that I have some family in Spain which I visit at least once a year, oh and I currently live in the UK, although I'm moving to America in the fall and won't be back in Europe in a while. Anyway, I pretty much deal with all these business matter in English, and even for tourism.

And I will get onto mandarin when either gaming or my works requires it, but in the meantime English will suffice.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

This post puzzles me. Knowing English is very much considered an asset in most continental European countries, although exactly how important it is does vary. Other than that a lot of non-native English speaking countries like the Benelux consistently rank very high in terms of English proficiency.

Zornica

Banned
If you study anything meaningfull, you can't really well go around without english (well you can, but it's a bigger pain in the ass than just learning basic english).

learning =/= studying

Due to my work I travel constantly to France and Germany, not mentioning that I've visited every other western european country on holidays, and that I have some family in Spain which I visit at least once a year, oh and I currently live in the UK, although I'm moving to America in the fall and won't be back in Europe in a while. Anyway, I pretty much deal with all these business matter in English, and even for tourism.

And I will get onto mandarin when either gaming or my works requires it, but in the meantime English will suffice.

Is this really so hard to understand? that's not everyday life. That's higher education, and certainly not not what most people will end up with.

you said it yourself: when work requires it. The majority of jobs doesn't.

rjsobdB.gif

Fuck off if digital only though

Hotel Dusk was released in the US as well, and before Europe on top.

Not the sequel or Another Code: R though.

Jinko

I kind of wish they would release UK versions of games separate from the rest of EU, just use the NA localisation and that way any English speaking EU folk can import it from the UK.

So sick of having to wait for multi5.

Zornica

Banned
What I'm saying is that to study, you have to have at least some basic english.

More and more employer require english, in western Europe at least, even if it isn't actually needed for the actual job.

besides English studies I've never seen english being listed as a requirement for studying... latin on the other hand.... I actually know quite a few students who hardly speak any English at all - and it doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest.

But still, lets say even if every academic had to learn some basic English for their studies, they hardly represent (depending on the country) 20-40% of the population - in some cases even less.

A majority of people just don't have to use english on a day to day base, even if it's required by their employer. They have no incentive to improve their english skills.
And other (mostly eastern) languages are way more important for tourism such as russian, chinese and arabic.

I wish I had more time to go into detail but I got to go.

Semajer

I kind of wish they would release UK versions of games separate from the rest of EU, just use the NA localisation and that way any English speaking EU folk can import it from the UK.

So sick of having to wait for multi5.

You're not the only one, but the problem is that it isn't that simple. They need to alter code, debug, and have the game rated and classified to be able to release it. The only way to get around this is to do something crazy and outrageous, like drop the region locking.

Jisgsaw

besides English studies I've never seen english being listed as a requirement for studying... latin on the other hand.... I actually know quite a few students who hardly speak any English at all - and it doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest.

But still, lets say even if every academic had to learn some basic English for their studies, they hardly represent (depending on the country) 20-40% of the population - in some cases even less.

A majority of people just don't have to use english on a day to day base, even if it's required by their employer. They have no incentive to improve their english skills.
And other (mostly eastern) languages are way more important for tourism such as russian, chinese and arabic.

I wish I had more time to go into detail but I got to go.

1) If you study science (or informatics), all the papers and a lot of courses are in english only.
2) If you study tourism or things of the sort, english is basically required because of it being the most spread langage
3) If you study trade or things of the sort, it's the de facto used langage

Only fields I see absolutely no need for english is medicine and agriculture.
A lot of other jobs don't really need it, but employers still more or less require/prefer the employee to at least know the basics.

Edit: and lets be honest, what you learn up to high school (and I know of no person that doesn't take english at least as second langage) is enough to play a game.

sörine

Banned
So NOE is publishing themselves? I wonder if it's been strategically held back this long to co-promote with SMTxFE?

antibolo

Banned
Nintendoes what 3rd parties don't. Localizations, that is.

If only Sony did the same with all the PSP and Vita games we've missed on.

Riffled

Banned
Has any Atlus ever been translated in a other language other than English?

I'd imagine sales for SMT in France must be low, they don't like English.

Dee Dee

That's good news!
Incidentally I'm also 'hard at work' with my retirement fund. Lets see who finishes first!

I got a chuckle out of this!

But apart from that, I am not even happy about Nintendo bringing this up again - stop playing with us!! What are you doing with this game!?!?! So much anger!!!

Mr-Joker

Banned

"Me, me, me, me I don't care about those lazy French, German, Spanish and Italian gamers I don't give a duck if they can't play a game in their language just give me the ducking game now."

You kinda coming of as a selfish entitled gamer. The sheer fact that English isn't your first language holds no weight in your argument.

This is a bad joke now. The poor handling of Shin Megami Tensei IV is the most compelling case ever made as to why there should be no region locks.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"Me, me, me, me I don't care about those lazy French, German, Spanish and Italian gamers I don't give a duck if they can't play a game in their language just give me the ducking game now."

Soo tempting to tag quote

Jinko

You kinda coming of as a selfish entitled gamer. The sheer fact that English isn't your first language holds no weight in your argument.

When the localisation has already been done for America, it isn't selfish at all, every English speaking European is waiting on the rest of EU to play this game.

This is a bad joke now. The poor handling of Shin Megami Tensei IV is the most compelling case ever made as to why there should be no region locks.

This 1 million times, you can bet your ass that Nintendo will have region locking on its next hand held though.

Jubern

Nice mentality going...
Not everyone is going to travel abroad, work in business or stuff; A big majority of people simply have no use for a foreign language. That's not being lazy, that's just not wasting one's time if he doesn't feel like it's worth it, or having bigger things to worry about.
You do realize that releasing localized games is how companies like NoE make business and are so popular with the general public? Nintendo sure wouldn't be waving around their numbers for France if they released everything in French there.

To be honest, I used to think the same a few years ago (being French and having missed a lot of games in Europe when I was a kid), but then I just switched to importing and buying digital. SMT IV and the Nintendo ecosystem in general, (un)fortunately, are an exception, we are currently living a golden age where buying and playing imported game has never been easier for the average player.

Also, I'm surprised at the people thinking Atlus was doing this. There's no Atlus Europe and all their games are handled by a local publisher on a case-by-case basis AFAIK.

Finally, I'll just add that trying to find a logical in the timing of the release is pointless. Nintendo does what they want, when they want. They probably just planned it that way for a long time. Publishers delay or sit on releases all the time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Note to publishers: I would prefer you delay Japanese and English releases to accommodate EFIGS+J multi-language support at a minimum than advance European releases to screw over people who don't read or speak English or Japanese. Gaming should be more global and more inclusive, not more regionalized and less inclusive.

Note to publishers: I would prefer you delay Japanese and English releases to accommodate EFIGS+J multi-language support at a minimum than advance European releases to screw over people who don't read or speak English or Japanese. Gaming should be more global and more inclusive, not more regionalized and less inclusive.

The problem is budget, and that Nintendo is pretty much the only European company that a) thinks that FIGS is worthwhile, and b) has the money to fund the FIGS translation in the first place. Every other company that deals with niche Japanese games in Europe (with the exception of Ghostlight) are pretty much distributors and hence run on a shoestring budget (and I'd imagine Ghostlight is no exception to having a shoestring budget). Realistically, the best you're going to hope for is Spanish translations for the latino market in the US, but I'd imagine a) and b) also applies to the US companies that deals with this sort of thing.

This situation in particular wouldn't be such a big deal if region locking didn't exist. All the English speakers who were fed up with waiting could've just imported a copy, like what happened with the Etrian Odyssey sequels and Strange Journey on the original DS.

Mr-Joker

Banned

This pretty much. Game Freak and Nintendo managed a worldwide release of Pokémon X and Y, which had EFIGS+J multi-language support from the get go.

This situation in particular wouldn't be such a big deal if region locking didn't exist. All the English speakers who were fed up with waiting could've just imported a copy, like what happened with the Etrian Odyssey sequels and Strange Journey on the original DS.

The problem with that method is that the European branch don't see any of that money, hence why region locking exist in the first place.

Answer me honestly had you imported would have you double dipped and brought the English European version when it get release?

Are you talking about the DS Etrian Odysseys ? Because IV and Untold are English only.
Yes. EO1 was NOE published while IV and Untold are NISA Europe.

sörine;113018320 said:
So NOE is publishing themselves? I wonder if it's been strategically held back this long to co-promote with SMTxFE?
I hope its better spaced than Sacred Stones in this respect. Which was a month before Path of Radiance.

wrowa

I'd assume that it's delayed by a lack of resources. Nintendo doesn't publish games that aren't translated into the language of the important European markets, but at the same time SMTIV isn't exactly a game with a high chance to sell a lot. I'd assume it's slipping through the cracks again and again in favor of more profitable projects that need to be localized.

It sucks, of course, and it shows that a company like Nintendo likely isn't the best choice for niche releases in Europe. That is, if you want to get your hands on a game as quickly as possible and don't mind playing in English.

This pretty much. Game Freak and Nintendo managed a worldwide release of Pokémon X and Y, which had EFIGS+J multi-language support from the get go.

The problem with that method is that the European branch don't see any of that money, hence why region locking exist in the first place.

Answer me honestly had you imported would have you double dipped and brought the English European version when it get release?

I don't live in Europe. But I have been in a similar situation where I imported the localizations of the first two Inazuma Eleven games. Did I buy IE1 when it appeared on the US eshop? Of course not. That shit came out years later. And the US is even further behind Japan in the series than EU is. If they're worried about people importing instead of buying a domestic release that may or may not happen, then maybe it should prompt them to be more proactive in localizations instead of just punishing the consumer by locking everything down. Of course, SMTIV had MULTI-5 to worry about, but as it was pointed out in the topic before Nintendo at some point should have said that they were working on 5 languages at once for this release instead of just saying nothing and expecting people not to get confused about what's going on.

I mean look at the PC/PSP releases of the Trails in the Sky sequel by XSEED. There have been delays but xseed has actually spoken about what's going on so people can temper their expectations, instead of being left in the dust. And that's a game that is being released on region-free platforms. If NoE can't even be honest about what's going on without the risk sales loss through importing existing, then what does that say about this whole practice?

Top Bottom