• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

KAL2006

Banned
3DS will continue to be a success

It already has Monster Hunter Tri G, Resident Evil, Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7

I expect games like Pokemon, NSMB3DS, Monster Hunter 4, Layton vs Ace Attorney and etc to make 3DS a bigger success than it already is now.

Terrell

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. Again, I would rather those resources go into new titles, but that is not the reality of the market right now.

Well, the reality of the market is that there's too many fucking games on shelves anyways!

When I was a kid during the 16-bit years, just under about 1200 games or so were released for all consoles, including shitty cash-ins and not including what few multi-platform titles there were. I never felt like there was too few games to play. There was always something cool coming out. I couldn't afford a huge selection, but rentals made up for that (I can't even tell you how many times I rented Ogre Battle because you couldn't buy it in retail where I grew up). Who the fuck needs so many games that output from developers on Wii ALONE equals the amount of titles on 2 hardware platforms that were arguably easier to develop on from 20 years ago?!

This is part of why DLC doesn't work in the modern market, because everyone is throwing their hats into a constant stream of retail releases to the point where it clogs the retail channels and retailers will only buy the guaranteed sellers because they can't move games fast enough before a newer and hotter release is out and they have no room on the shelf to put it without bargain-binning it.

So the DLC that IS made is usually close to launch (and pre-planned) to hedge bets in case the game gets bargain-binned too early and retailers lose faith in its selling power, which stops them from ordering more to sell. And most companies have to release it early to ensure they get the DLC sale because most gamers have moved on and forgotten about their game completely, simply because gamers feel a need to keep up with the retail content. Very few games are made to have staying power in mind, hence why DLC is treated like a cheap cash-in to help recoup the money spent developing the game, while the developer moves on to create another retail box to clog the shelf instead of building on what they have because it had no staying power.

Nintendo has and always will be about making games that have that intense staying power. In some ways, it's the primary reason people still buy Nintendo games at all. DLC content could release 5 years later and I'd bet money there would still be a totally captive audience for it with Nintendo's own games, despite being shipped as a long-legged total package. It puts them in a unique and wholly-foreign place in the market when it comes to DLC and I think we should be happy for that.

Well, the reality of the market is that there's too many fucking games on shelves anyways!

When I was a kid during the 16-bit years, just under about 1200 games or so were released for all consoles, including shitty cash-ins and not including what few multi-platform titles there were. I never felt like there was too few games to play. There was always something cool coming out. I couldn't afford a huge selection, but rentals made up for that (I can't even tell you how many times I rented Ogre Battle because you couldn't buy it in retail where I grew up). Who the fuck needs so many games that output from developers on Wii ALONE equals the amount of titles on 2 hardware platforms that were arguably easier to develop on from 20 years ago?!

This is part of why DLC doesn't work in the modern market, because everyone is throwing their hats into a constant stream of retail releases to the point where it clogs the retail channels and retailers will only buy the guaranteed sellers because they can't move games fast enough before a newer and hotter release is out and they have no room on the shelf to put it without bargain-binning it.

So the DLC that IS made is usually close to launch (and pre-planned) to hedge bets in case the game gets bargain-binned too early and retailers lose faith in its selling power, which stops them from ordering more to sell. And most companies have to release it early to ensure they get the DLC sale because most gamers have moved on and forgotten about their game completely, simply because gamers feel a need to keep up with the retail content. Very few games are made to have staying power in mind, hence why DLC is treated like a cheap cash-in to help recoup the money spent developing the game, while the developer moves on to create another retail box to clog the shelf instead of building on what they have because it had no staying power.

Nintendo has and always will be about making games that have that intense staying power. In some ways, it's the primary reason people still buy Nintendo games at all. DLC content could release 5 years later and I'd bet money there would still be a totally captive audience for it with Nintendo's own games, despite being shipped as a long-legged total package. It puts them in a unique and wholly-foreign place in the market when it comes to DLC and I think we should be happy for that.

Agree on all points. Shoot, if Nintendo released DLC for Link to the Past I'd be there day 1!! DLC for Nintendo games will be the ONLY DLC I look forward too.

Javier

Agree on all points. Shoot, if Nintendo released DLC for Link to the Past I'd be there day 1!! DLC for Nintendo games will be the ONLY DLC I look forward too.
I'd imagine the inevitable Mario Kart WiiU will be one of Nintendo's best showcases of DLC. Can't wait to see what they do with that.

Red UFO

Does it not bother anybody else just how much Mario is mentioned? It all could be summarised to "Don't worry dudes, you'll get your money, more Mario is coming." Which I know is true, but what about if they push it TOO far and people just get sick of seeing him? What will Nintendo rely on then?

Does it not bother anybody else just how much Mario is mentioned? It all could be summarised to "Don't worry dudes, you'll get your money, more Mario is coming." Which I know is true, but what about if they push it TOO far and people just get sick of seeing him? What will Nintendo rely on then?

They've mentioned one Mario game...

And there's already a topic about this on the front page.

Maxrunner

I am really looking forward to the Wii U. I want to see Nintendo games finally in high def and hopefully with a good online service to support it. Yet after decades of seeing how Nintendo runs itself i am still highly apprehensive they will ever fulfil my needs or desires of what a gaming platform should be in the 21st century. I also have a high degree of pessimism on how they deal with outside parties, namely 3rd party publishers.

Even reading the latest from the team who brought Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD has a few choice words for Nintendo;

Digital Foundry: PlayStation Vita and Nintendo Wii U are the big console launches of this year - what are your thoughts on these systems? Bearing in mind the recent release of GTA3, could you ever conceive of bringing Oddworld titles onto suitably powerful iOS devices?

Stewart Gilray: Well, we've already announced versions of Stranger and Munch for the Vita, but with regards to Nintendo, currently I'm not interested in working with them, or on their platform. Having developed a number of titles over the years for their various platforms, it's become increasingly apparent that unless you are published by Nintendo you don't tend to do very well. They also have this crazy regard to IP and refuse to sign NDAs with indie-developer/publishers, leaving us small guys open to having our ideas stolen with no recourse. We have already looked at doing some stuff on iOS and all I can say is watch this space.

source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-oddworld-strangers-wrath-hd

What have this guys done on Nintendo platforms????i remember the original oddworld guy trashing Gamecube back in the days....so this comes at no surprise oh and goold luck with those titles on VITa.....clearly he hasnt seen the Japanese sales....

Is anyone able to roughly translate the following replies for us?

Question Six -- I believe he addresses company resources and working with outside parties, and mentions something about releasing further information in future?

Question Nine -- they're asked about HD and the challenge of producing games?

Any idea how long it normally is before the English translations go up?

AColdDay

Iwata said:
When it comes to the decision making process of which video game software to purchase, a huge gap exists between each individual as to the amount of effort one will put into seeking the relevant information. There are consumers who very actively search for game-related information. They are so knowledgeable about video games that I sometimes wonder if they have more knowledge than us working in the video game industry.

This may have already been posted, but it made me laugh.

People have had almost 30 years to get sick of Mario. Why will it happen with the 3DS?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Zelda: Valley of the Deluge

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Pokémon MMO.

Miyamoto makes an unhelpful remark about there being machines with similar graphical capability to Wii-U in the Q&A -- one that'll doubtless be seized upon by bloggy sites and neogaf posters who don't realise that the machine is quantifiably and undeniably going to be noticably more powerful than a 360... the man is too modest! For the short time that they will have the most powerful machine on the market, they should crow more about it.

They were very coy on all questions that were trying to tease out more on software, the network stuff and partnerships with outside parties. They've definitely got some big surprises in store for E3. They essentially said wait until E3 as well, not many hints of anything before. I hope they drop a bomb or two before then :(

They were very coy on all questions that were trying to tease out more on software, the network stuff and partnerships with outside parties. They've definitely got some big surprises in store for E3. They essentially said wait until E3 as well, not many hints of anything before. I hope they drop a bomb or two before then :(

They've pretty much allied in some way with the big Japanese third parties. Though deeper alliances can't be discounted.

I believe, just form simple deduction, that the most likely candidates are western/non-japanese developers and technology firms.

I also would not rule out a hardware alliance with Sharp/Panasonic to release a product we havent even thought about yet, that will work with the Wii U and 3DS.

Small Rant:

Hasn't Nintendo been promising to improve the 'flow' of titles - i.e. reduce the gap between big releases - since the release of the N64?

They said it with Gameboy Advance, Wii, DS (at the start) and 3DS... now they promise it for Wii U?

I do not beleive them - they trot the same story out for investors to sooth nerves everytime there's a performance question. It's corporate hot air. Once the money starts rolling in again It'll be back to crowing about sales figures with no mention of this.

;/

Gaborn

On the first page Iwata confirms the 3DS is selling below cost.

The result will mainly derive from the decision to mark down the price of the Nintendo 3DS and sell it below cost, sacrificing our profitability for this fiscal year, so that we can get it back on track to its originally-anticipated sales pace so as not to shrink our future business (of the Nintendo 3DS).

I mean, I know that was suspected and kind of implied earlier, but this is explicit confirmation.

Vinci

Danish
Small Rant:

Hasn't Nintendo been promising to improve the 'flow' of titles - i.e. reduce the gap between big releases - since the release of the N64?

They said it with Gameboy Advance, Wii, DS (at the start) and 3DS... now they promise it for Wii U?

I do not beleive them - they trot the same story out for investors to sooth nerves everytime there's a performance question. It's corporate hot air. Once the money starts rolling in again It'll be back to crowing about sales figures with no mention of this.

;/

To be fair, their situation has changed with each generation. They've gone from full-on 3rd party support, to little 3rd party support, to token 3rd party support, to basically no 3rd party support... And it's unreasonable to imagine that any one company could field a console entirely by itself. Nintendo comes the closest to doing that, but it's still a herculean task to accomplish.

Given the Wii-U is capable compared to the next systems from MS and Sony, they should at the very least get some of the 3rd party support they've lacked for the last several generations. With that, and some of Nintendo's internal expansion over the last couple of years, it should be possible to even things out a bit more.

But I think you're simplifying the situation if you believe it's just PR. It's a noticeable drain on their systems' performances - and I have no doubt that they get that.

RedSwirl

What have this guys done on Nintendo platforms????i remember the original oddworld guy trashing Gamecube back in the days....so this comes at no surprise oh and goold luck with those titles on VITa.....clearly he hasnt seen the Japanese sales....

It seems like we're still getting the general opinion that you have to be first party in order to do well on a Nintendo platform.

I've notice that this assumption seems to be prevalent among western developers, who have never had a big presence on Nintendo platforms. I don't remember any Japanese developers complaining about having to compete against Nintendo's own games.

I want to see Iwata running the company when he's pimp hand's age

Hiroshi_Yamauchi.jpg

pimpyamauchi168.jpg

What's he up to these days anyway? I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on today's basement dwellers

Small Rant:

;/

Now it seems that they have "delayed" Wii U (or pushed it back until the last possible moment still within their vague 2012 time frame), not because the system or launch software won't be ready earlier, but because if they don't, they'll be forced to deal with another dry spell. As in, rather than launching their second wave of games in October/November, they can now wait until February or so. At least that's how i take it...

To be fair, their situation has changed with each generation. They've gone from full-on 3rd party support, to little 3rd party support, to token 3rd party support, to basically no 3rd party support... And it's unreasonable to imagine that any one company could field a console entirely by itself. Nintendo comes the closest to doing that, but it's still a herculean task to accomplish.

Given the Wii-U is capable compared to the next systems from MS and Sony, they should at the very least get some of the 3rd party support they've lacked for the last several generations. With that, and some of Nintendo's internal expansion over the last couple of years, it should be possible to even things out a bit more.

But I think you're simplifying the situation if you believe it's just PR. It's a noticeable drain on their systems' performances - and I have no doubt that they get that.

Except each time they have been talking about their own games release schedule, not thirdparties?

Top Bottom