• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Usually if you're in an abusive relationship the best advice is to get out of it.

Nintendo has got out of so many relationships there isn't anyone left to start a relationship anymore.

I am not trusting this rumor. Its very unlikely of Nintendo to suddenly go forge friendship with 3rd party.

Unless Nintendo is there to tell them not to release any game on their platform /jk

Loris146

I can't imagine that these exclusive marketing deals last more than a year.

Sony has been getting some EA Sports bundles.

Yeah but i'm speaking about:

1: Fifa and Madden ( No other games)
2: Ps4 and One.

MS had a marketing deal for Fifa and Madden since 2013. I've not seen yet any official Fifa or Madden PS4 bundle.

Right now i think it's more like :" Ehi Nintendo what are your plans to target the sports audience?

Out of all of Nintendo's IP, 1080 is the closest to what EA does.
It's certainly the closest to simulation that they have.
I mean jetski could work but Fzero is everything but a simulation.

A man can dream though. A man can dream...

Seriously, though, EA could definitely bring their sim expertise to a game like 1080 (SSX: 1080?), but they could also try dabbling in something a little less grounded for once. An EA developed fzero could still lean towards the arcadey while bringing a little bit of that sim flavor to the mix (and good online and grafix). It's never going to happen, but at this point I'll take my fzero however I can get it.

The issue now being that maybe people at EA don't want to work on a snowboarding game or a jetski game.
Seriously when was the last one from these types released?

We're due for a revival, baby!

Xellos

It's not about getting people excited for an NX port, it's about developing a stable/sustainable/competitive user base -- making a Nintendo console attractive for the kind of people that buy CoD and FIFA/Madden every year.

Maybe excited was the wrong word. I'm saying that not many people would buy Madden (or Live/FIFA/whatever) on NX when it's already available on PS4 and Xbox, even if Nintendo puts a big push behind it. EA's audience already owns Xbox or Playstation.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
"You have to do more to cultivate a sports audience on your platform."

"Okay, then how about doing that with EA Sports titles?"

"No, you have to cultivate the audience for sports titles without having our sports titles."

I get that they're asking them to spend on advertising during sporting events, I just found it funny.

Also, the idea that EA is "insulted" that Nintendo won't bundle their software is hilarious. When has EA given them a title worth bundling in the last, say, decade?

It's good thing then that Nintendo's powerful market position gives them enormous leverage in these talks.

udivision

The easiest method would be to have hardware in the same power realm as current gen and easy and cheap to port to.

So...
Hardware as powerful as current gen, but become a Wii-like success thanks to a reasonable cost and appealing innovations. Seems like something... anyone but Nintendo could pull off right about now.

It's not really about convincing them that it's worthwhile, but more convincing them that they've got a decent plan that makes it seem worthwhile. It's important for potential partners to understand that Nintendo are doing work to make sure that the console is more of a success than the Wii U.

Yeah, true. At the beginning its more of making the case. I guess it doesn't matter as much how it pans out.

Oddduck

Found an old article from October 2014 that sums up the situation:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/27/ps4-versus-xbox-one-microsoft-outspends-sony-on-tv-advertising/

Microsoft has spent more than $47 million for Xbox One ads on television this year, according to data from iSpot.tv. That is around 50 percent more than Sony’s $30 million. With that increased marketing budget, Microsoft has had 5,000 commercials while Sony has settled for closer to 3,000. This shows that Sony is happily riding positive buzz and consumer word of mouth, and it also reveals that Microsoft doesn’t want to concede the multibillion-dollar console-gaming market to Sony.

Both companies declined to comment on their advertising practices.

Microsoft’s has spread its ads across 37 different networks and nearly 1,000 unique shows. Sony’s campaigns have spread to 25 networks and more than 500 shows. Top networks include Fox, NBC, and ESPN.

Both have spent more to air their ads during National Football League games more than any other program. For the Xbox One, sports make up three of its top five shows:

NFL Football
2014 FIFA World Cup

Talking Dead
MLB Baseball
Family Guy

The PlayStation 4 list is very similar:

NFL Football
Sportscenter
Fox Sports Live

Family Guy
WWE Monday Night Raw

I can see why EA would be asking Nintendo to do a better job of targeting sports fans.

PtM

Banned
Should say LiamR in the title.

↓↓Yeah but fans don't make the big money. More people would buy Fifa rather than Mirror's Edge.

_PsiFire_

My letter to EA as a Nintendo fan.

I believe I speak for the majority* of Nintendo fans here.

We don't give a FUCK about your sports games. We want your other games! The Dead Space, the Mirrors Edge, the Battlefront.

If there’s any truth to this at all, tell Nintendo to help garner attention to these games on the NX because no matter what Nintendo does to help out with your sports games we still won't be buying this shit.

Maybe golf would do well, as it had on the Wii. The rest could go fuck themselves

Give us what Nintendo fans love.

Action and Adventure!

*majority as according to me.

We don't give a FUCK about your sports games. We want your other games! The Dead Space, the Mirrors Edge, the Battlefront.

If there’s any truth to this at all, tell Nintendo to help garner attention to these games on the NX because no matter what Nintendo does to help out with your sports games we still won't be buying this shit.

Maybe golf would do well, as it had on the Wii. The rest could go fuck themselves

Action and Adventure!

*majority of according to me.

That's really the issue.

You can't think of it in terms of Nintendo fans. EA Sports is a huge money maker, and if Nintendo can bring in a whole new audience to their console, that's a good thing.

So...
Hardware as powerful as current gen, but become a Wii-like success thanks to a reasonable cost and appealing innovations. Seems like something... anyone but Nintendo could pull off right about now.

Nope. An appealing hardware for general third-party development and not restricted to certain gameplay ideas and genres. Underpowered hardware, despite the Wii recordbreaking sales and some third-parties managed to have nice sales on it, proved to be a short-term success and slowed down from mid to late life. Huge sales and userbase wasn't enough for some third-party to bring it's multiplat titles, either. The hole went deeper with Wii U.

If Nintendo wants to have solid third-party support, they need to let go the underpowered hardware approach. New gameplay add-ons? Good, as long standard controls remains default. Most third-parties don't want to be forced to add "unique" features against their will with gimmicky controllers.

That's really the issue.

You can't think of it in terms of Nintendo fans. EA Sports is a huge money maker, and if Nintendo can bring in a whole new audience to their console, that's a good thing.

Yep. If this is a representative of "majority of Nintendo fans", then it's something to be worried about how alienated it's userbase is as EA Sports games are major sellers on every major platform.

ArtHands

Action and Adventure!

Why not buy a PS4 or a xbox?

SalvaPot

Another factor that I am surprised is not mentioned more is the fact that the new Nintendo President is more in-line with the American market that the late Iwata was, so it makes sense that he could be more approachable by American companies.

Honestly I am kind of happy that EA and Nintendo are having meetings, and that is something people are talking about. Is the kind of buzz that makes Third Parties interested in developing on your console, and Nintendo is the company that has the more potential for collaborations.

Really the least they can do is give EA games Amiibo support of some kind. Using Mario amiibo unlocks a Mario inspired sports uniform for your team, for example.

ElDuderino

So Nintendo made a second rate madden and FIFA for Wii U?
Nintendo released a Wii U port of ME3 at the same time as the trilogy released on other platforms?
Nintendo cancelled an apparently complete Wii u port of crisis 3?

No the unprecedented partnership collapsing was all EAs doing

I find it hard to imagine that EA had no clue about Wii U's specs/capability before the unprecedented partnership announcement. Didn't EA try to push unity onto Nintendo and they said no and EA started backing away?

Champion

Action and Adventure!

I believe the point would be to get those millions of other consumers that didn't buy a Wii U to invest in the NX and EA's software. EA probably already knows what time it is with Nintendo diehards or fanboys and that 10 million or so consumers is probably not on their radar.

_PsiFire_

Why not buy a PS4 or a xbox?
I have to have a Nintendo system for my Nintendo games. I'd rather 3rd parties put their GOOD offerings on a Nintendo system. Not the shit that they have been putting out and expecting us to be happy for their scraps and give them money.

This way I only need to buy a Nintendo console.

Alebrije

I hope this helps Nintendo but personally do not care about EA sports games , maybe just the Hockey one.

I see EA pushing its sports games on Nintendo in order to also port other games like Dead Space, etc. And both can win from this.

Madden and FIFA moves big number of copies and being available on NC could help to get more users and this way more consoles sonthis way maybe we could see a Fallout , GTA, Witcher , Elders Scrolls ,etc game on a Nintendo console ....

Maniel

Banned
I have to have a Nintendo system for my Nintendo games. I'd rather 3rd parties put their GOOD offerings on a Nintendo system. Not the shit that they have been putting out and expecting us to be happy for their scraps and give them money.

I don't care about sports games either, but if EA is going to support a console, their sports games will be on it first.

I would rather buy some good third-party titles, despite some missing content or performancing issues, they're still better than some of Nintendo's mini-game collections, party games and simple pick & play stuff that Nintendo fanboys buys over them.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Then tell Nintendo to put out a console similar enough in power and architecture to make the ports cheap and easy enough for them to do to justify it. Especially when those games don't sell great historically on Nintendo platforms as many Nintendo-only gamers don't like those type of games and others play them on their PS/MS console or PC because they run better, that's where their friends are playing online (for games with online) etc.

ArtHands

But you'll have to wait for those Nintendo games on the NX too. Meanwhile why not get a PS4/xbox for those games And wait for the Nintendo games? NX might be on firesale by then too.

Then tell Nintendo to put out a console similar enough in power and architecture to make the ports cheap and easy enough for them to do to justify it. Especially when those games don't sell great historically on Nintendo platforms as many Nintendo-only gamers don't like those type of games and others play them on their PS/MS console or PC because they run better, that's where their friends are playing online (for games with online) etc.

What games? Shooters and T-M-Rated games? Can't blame you if you wasn't around in the N64 days to say they can't sell historically. Even on Wii there was an audience for those titles.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I don't think it's unfair for EA to want Nintendo to help push their sports games to the Nintendo audience, and also to attempt to make inroads outside of the Nintendo audience with the NX in the ways mentioned, and I say that as someone who thought EA's Wii U "strategy" was a total bitch-ass move and lost a lot of respect for them during that period.

atbigelow

Action and Adventure!

Thankfully you are not the only market, because this is whiny nonsense. I'm sorry that millions of people enjoying sports games bothers you.

Scrawnton

I don't think it's unfair for EA to want Nintendo to help push their sports games to the Nintendo audience, and also to attempt to make inroads outside of the Nintendo audience with the NX in the ways mentioned, and I say that as someone who thought EA's Wii U "strategy" was a total bitch-ass move and lost a lot of respect for them during that period.

that is still a book I want to read. I want to know exactly what happened between Nintendo and EA before the Wii U launched....

I have no interest in sports game but if mass effect, mirrors edge and the like are on the nx on i will be there day one. I prefer the arcadey stuff from EA namely NBA Street and Burnout.

gdt

Mannnnn.

Last time around was fun as hell here. Especially when the whole thing fell apart.

Let's go for it again.

Melchiah

EA, listen...listen close:

Reboot SSX

Use the colorful graphics of the past. No grittiness, no cliffs to fall off--just colorful riders, huge fireworks, great graphics, and snowboarding.

It would be a perfect fit.

I'd take a proper SSX sequel anytime, but releasing it exclusively on NX would be as good idea as releasing REmake exclusively on GC. It's not going to sell much, when most of the fanbase is elsewhere.

antonz

People keep saying why would anyone buy an NX sports title if PS4/XBO yada yada.

NX owners will certainly be multiconsole owners but there will also be exclusive console owners and on top of that how the whole NX Handheld/Console software library thing goes it could open up a true Madden etc. to a Nintendo handheld audience.

Even if NX only starts selling 500k-1000k on madden etc. that's growth for madden etc. and its more importantly establishing Nintendo as a safe home for sports games.

Think he's talking about your marketing stuff you posted in the NX thread.

Could someone make it for me? Either that or it will need to wait until later. Just make sure you put my update in about Pokemon Niji - the document I saw didn't say the word "Rainbow" in it, that was my mistake for just google translating "Niji" and getting "Rainbow" the Pokemon game just has Niji as the code name.

Going out to get some drinks with the wife....lol. Just kidding, just really busy at the moment.

EA bolstered the SNES when Joe Montana Sports Talk Football was killing it on Sega. Madden was great on SNES and N64. They have history, but Nintendo could offer a unique proposal if the new system truly is a handheld. With a console only, Nintendo can't offer much.

Moondrop

Banned
Pff. I haven't forgotten the terrible history of Madden on the Wii. Though I'm not sure which company is more at fault.

Madden 07 was the last installment on a Nintendo console that kept up with the other systems, featuring create-a-player, create-a-play, first person view, even decent yet optional motion controls.

In Madden 08 the graphics were overhauled and somehow came out worse, with little visual variation between players of different stature and positions. Most of the customization was removed with this edition.

Madden 09 featured the roundly mocked "All-Play," which restored graphical variation between positions but gameplay was so dumbed down it made the Backyard Sports series seem complex. Future editions restored some of the fun (I've read), but to my knowledge never the customization options.

So until there's hard evidence that we'll receive a feature-complete Madden on NX, we'd all be best to stay far away.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What games? Shooters and T-M-Rated games? Can't blame you if you wasn't around in the N64 days to say they can't sell historically. Even on Wii there was an audience for those titles.

I started gaming with the NES. And that's the irony of the situation as Nintendo was on the right track with the N64 with third/second party exclusives like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games etc.

But they started to lose that with the GC not selling well, and totally lost it with the Wii being too underpowered to port PS3/360 games to very easily.

And no, there wasn't much of an audience for those type of games on the Wii. Looking at a list of the top selling Wii games, the only ones of that type I see over 1 million (on a console that had a base of over 100 million) are:

RE4 Wii Edition-2 million
Metroid Prime 3- 1.4 million
RE: The Umbrella Chronicles- 1.3 million
CoD: World at War- over 1 million
Red Steel- 1 million

And how many of those sales were to the core Nintendo fans that are still on board with the brand, vs. core gamers that bought the console for Wii Sports or Wii Fit and tried out some of the few exclusives or ports in genres they like on their main platforms? Hard to say.

Hell, even looking at the sports games, the Madden ports didn't even break a million sales.

Nintendo isn't going to get third parties on board unless they make it easy to port from the PS4/360 AND the NX base buys those games at high attach rates from the start.

VariantX

People keep saying why would anyone buy an NX sports title if PS4/XBO yada yada.

NX owners will certainly be multiconsole owners but there will also be exclusive console owners and on top of that how the whole NX Handheld/Console software library thing goes it could open up a true Madden etc. to a Nintendo handheld audience.

Even if NX only starts selling 500k-1000k on madden etc. that's growth for madden etc. and its more importantly establishing Nintendo as a safe home for sports games.

There's also a little overlap in that audience that could pave the way for Nintendo to eventually get the Battlefronts, Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, etc. further down the line.

EDarkness

I started gaming with the NES. And that's the irony of the situation as Nintendo was on the right track with the N64 with third/second party exclusives like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games etc.

But they started to lose that with the GC not selling well, and totally lost it with the Wii being too underpowered to port PS3/360 games to very easily.

And no, there wasn't much of an audience for those type of games on the Wii. Looking at a list of the top selling Wii games, the only ones of that type I see over 1 million (on a console that had a base of over 100 million) are:

RE4 Wii Edition-2 million
Metroid Prime 3- 1.4 million
RE: The Umbrella Chronicles- 1.3 million
CoD: World at War- over 1 million
Red Steel- 1 million

And how many of those sales were to the core Nintendo fans that are still on board with the brand, vs. core gamers that bought the console for Wii Sports or Wii Fit and tried out some of the few exclusives or ports in genres they like on their main platforms? Hard to say.

Hell, even looking at the sports games, the Madden ports didn't even break a million sales.

Nintendo isn't going to get third parties on board unless they make it easy to port from the PS4/360 AND the NX base buys those games at high attach rates from the start.

The Madden games for the Wii were utter crap. I remember working at Gamestop during that time and we had a bunch of people return the Wii versions of Madden because they were seriously disappointed in what they ended up getting. EA started going with this "simple" Madden stuff instead of giving people a real damn Madden experience. Grandmas don't fuggin' play Madden. Trying to get Grandmas to play Madden was a fools errand and it soiled the Wii sports lineup. However, the Wii did get a pretty good version of the NHL 2K games.

antonz

The Madden games for the Wii were utter crap. I remember working at Gamestop during that time and we had a bunch of people return the Wii versions of Madden because they were bad. EA started going with this "simple" Madden stuff instead of giving people a real damn Madden experience. Grandmas don't fuggin' play Madden. Trying to get Grandmas to play Madden was a fools errand and it soiled the Wii sports lineup. However, the Wii did get a pretty good version of the NHL 2K games.

Yep the first Madden release was decent though lacked online. Then for some reason they decided they needed to completely retool Madden on Wii and it just destroyed the series on Wii. I mean Madden Wii was a big seller out the gate. Then they basically told all those football fans too bad time for a grandma friendly madden with cartoonier graphics and totally demolished gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom