• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of Europe to distribute Ultra Street Fighter II for Switch in Europe

Shiggy

Relive the glory days and prepare to take on new challengers anytime, anywhere, when Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers – distributed by Nintendo throughout European territories and Australia and published by Capcom – launches at retail for Nintendo Switch on 26th May.

Source: PR

This continues their old partnership: NoE has been distributing physical copies of Capcom games in Europe and Australia for a while, including all of their 3DS and Wii U games. Capcom is responsible for localisation, software ratings, and digital distribution, whereas Nintendo is responsible for the retail distribution. Thus Nintendo is taking over risks pertaining to the distribution of physical games, which Capcom may not want to take.

Last year, NoE also distributed physical copies of Minecraft for Wii U as well as two indie games (FAST and Steamworld Collection).

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers is set to launch on May 26 for EUR 39.99 (digital and retail).

spekkeh

Banned
Seems like a bad idea. Nobody will buy it at that price, and Nintendo publishing means it will also not drop in price.

Interfectum

$40 for a digital version of Street Fighter 2?

giphy.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It will likely be highly advertized by Nintendo, to strike the SNES owners chord.

It's working on me, I'm sold.

antibolo

Banned
This game will flop so hard and then Capcom, in their eternal stupidity, will read this as Switch owners not wanting Capcom games on their console.

Vitacat

At that price, few people will buy.

3DS got SFIV in 2010 for $40. Switch gets SFII in 2017 for $40.

Really, Capcom?

psyfi

Banned
They really believe in this game, don't they? I find it odd considering how lopsided the value proposition is, but okay.

Memory

Going to pick up physical for sure, not day one as Injustice 2 and Fire Emblem come out just before it so i'll be spending my time with them initially.

ramparter

Banned
20€ would have been ok considering the extra stuff. At least capcom games tend to get good eshop sales (like 50 -> to 10)

They really believe in this game, don't they? I find it odd considering how lopsided the value proposition is, but okay.

Could have done decent in the launch, by end of May it will have more competition.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This game will flop so hard and then Capcom, in their eternal stupidity, will read this as Switch owners not wanting Capcom games on their console.

I actually suspect it might do ok.

Nephtes

40 Euros for Street Fighter II in 2017...
I'm trying to determine how many quarters I've spent on this game in the last 26ish years since SFII graced arcades...

Especially since HD remix cost what, $15 back in 2008?

Futureman

I don't play fighting games so I don't really get this release. Is it just nostalgia + 30th anniversary? Is Capcom releasing this on any other system?

Fuck that for $40. Even Marvel 3 was $25 ($20 with sales) and hell HDR sold for $15.

Not paying a dime more than $20 for this at most. A gaffer earlier had it correct - this game won't sell well and capcom will say that it won't port it over to other consoles for dumb reason when really it was priced too high. Ugh.

I don't play fighting games so I don't really get this release. Is it just nostalgia + 30th anniversary? Is Capcom releasing this on any other system?

It's essentially a version of SFII Turbo HD Remix, which launched at $15 9 years ago with balance changes and two new characters, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken, that are palette swaps.

There's also a motion-controlled hadoken minigame.

It's a cash-in.

Intel_89

Thanks NoE, I'd rather have a proper BotW limited edition instead of the one us plebs received but you call the shots and I choose not to support this game at launch. Hopefully you'll be eager to bring some other games over here.

Effect

I actually think this might end up doing okay. It really depends how it's pushed (Smash likely isn't coming anytime soon so that helps it) and content. It will also be online so that makes it more desirable as there aren't a lot of online games (or games in general) at the moment on the Switch.

Edit: With Amazon Prime or Best Buy GC the price is in the low $30s once you factor in tax.

Skyzard

Banned
It's essentially a version of SFII Turbo HD Remix, which launched at $15 9 years ago with balance changes and two new characters, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken, that are palette swaps.

It's a cash-in.

They added a whole other dimension to it.

3D.

Milking switch owners.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You know about this mini arcade cabinet:
eSbug8j.jpg

I will build mine around this Street Fighter.

Cepheus

I'll probably end up getting this regardless. Though, I only have one Pro Controller and I don't think the joycons were designed with fighters in mind.

Pinky

Banned

It's a cash-in.

It also includes the classic pixel art/arcade visuals as well. That's the only reason I want this. I couldn't care less about that HD junk.

SomTervo

To be honest, with 1) the Switch being portable and 2) the Switch having two controllers built into it, this is a pretty sure buy for me. Especially because I'm guessing SFII will be more accessible/simple than modern fighting games (could be wrong but doubt it).

I'll be on trains and planes with friends and family a lot in the next year; the prospect of propping up my Switch and playing some SFII with them using the JoyCons is a hard one to turn down.

Can probably wait for a price drop, though.

Skyzard

Banned
I'll probably end up getting this regardless. Though, I only have one Pro Controller and I don't think the joycons were designed with fighters in mind.

Going by this thread:

And my experience with a switch pro controller and the joypad at a switch event - I don't think that's necessarily going to be better than a joypad, which might be fun to learn in sp if that's what you're interested in. And it would be handheld.

The switch pro controller I tried was extremely stiff. It felt easier doing hadoukens on the joypad - which didn't actually seem that bad.

If you don't have a stiff d-pad, you might be finding the inputs not coming out exactly how you intended - it can register inputs incorrectly unless you're extremely accurate. That thread shows you how to test it and see the results on the switch. If you don't press in the centre of the 4 directions on the pro's d-pad but say slightly up or down (which you're probably going to do when doing quarter circles etc) it activates other directions.

If you do have a stiff d-pad, it will likely get less stiff with time.

It would be fun to have for like $20 for the handheld aspect, baring in mind the possible trouble with the joypad d-pad. Hopefully the switch e-shop has better sales.

I'll be getting it. The temptation of portable Street Fighter II, with two controllers always available, is too great for me.

The additions sound pretty fun and I'm glad there's an option to use classic backgrounds. I do hope they also include classic Super Turbo balance.

I also wonder if they'll adjust the input buffer/shortcuts for players used to the more accessible SFIV or SFV?

hatchx

Banned
The sad thing is I believe games like this and bomberman would have done really well if not priced so heinously.

Top Bottom