• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patched out my offensive Inkling gesture in MK8D

Neiteio

I feel like I've only ever seen that gesture once or twice from old Sicilian women.

It reminds me of this:

images
Rosie the Riveter was presumably the intended gesture (ironic, in a way, given what happened to Japan in WWII), but Nintendo didn't consider everything :)

BooJoh

I'm surprised at how many people aren't familiar with it. I've lived in the US my entire life and I've known it as "up yours" for as long as I can remember. Just looking at that wiki page above shows that it's been used in quite a few American movies as well. Maybe it's just fallen out of use since I was a kid.

ggx2ac

What other meaning does this gesture have? Just curious

"In Japan, this gesture stands for “money.” In France it means “zero” or “worthless.” In Venezuela and Turkey, gesturing to someone in this way implies that they are a homosexual. And in Brazil, the OK sign is the same as an Italian chin flick."

Source: googling different meanings of OK sign.

"In Japan, this gesture stands for ”money." In France it means ”zero" or ”worthless." In Venezuela and Turkey, gesturing to someone in this way implies that they are a homosexual. And in Brazil, the OK sign is the same as an Italian chin flick."

That's Ok in japanese too nowadays I'm pretty sure.

Money is more like this

Photo-46-500x375.jpg

Edit: The part about Brazil is wrong too lmao. Nowadays it's pretty much the Ok sign too, but it's also pretty close to the sign we use for "butthole", which can mean a lot of things

Nanashrew

Banned
In Japan the flex means strength. Plenty of kids use it and you'll see it in media like anime often used by determined youths.

But yeah, we're far and away removed from something like that or that old "we can do it" poster. It means "up yours" and "fuck you" here in the US.

Tusk

Never noticed it before. Shame they took it out, definitely fitting to how I feel half the time when playing the game lol.

I never notice any of these gestures while playing, lol. Also, thought it was common knowledge that this was offensive.. even in the US.

Neiteio

But yeah, we're far and away removed from something like that or that old "we can do it" poster. It means "up yours" and "fuck you" here in the US.
It seemed oddly appropriate for the Inkling. I mean, if any of these characters are going to have a punk-ass attitude, it's them! (and Waluigi, but he already did the crotch chop in Strikers Charged)

Ah that's sad. I remember seeing it in one of my replays and was surprised it actually made it in. I only associate that dated gesture with a middle finger added also.

ggx2ac

In Japan it can also mean strength. Plenty of kids use it and you'll see it in media like anime often used by determined youths.

Change your quote, I was talking about the OK sign there so it doesn't match up with your post.

mavo

Banned
I'd more so say fuck the world for being offended by a gesture.

Is kinda like if she was flipping the bird, i dont think anyone is offended, more like weirded out, a corte de manga is what you expect in GTA Online, not Mario Kart lol.

Not surprised, it was pretty funny though. Here in Portugal it's rarely used now (at least I think) but a lot of older people used that gesture to basically tell you to fuck off, even if most of the time it was used as a joke.

tolkir

In Japan it can also mean strength. Plenty of kids use it and you'll see it in media like anime often used by determined youths.

Luffy does it sometimes.

Luffy+17+years+old.png

antibolo

Banned
was it patched out in every version or only international versions?

also, people make noise to patch this but not the atrocious item rates? not enough people mad at blue shells, red shells and double lightning being spammed endlessdly and 1st place getting coins 90% of the time?

All first party Switch games (and many third party ones) are universal, there's only one build for a single game.

FingerBang

Yep, it's offensive in Italy as well (even though I haven't seen an adult using it in years).

Take a look at this noble gentleman for example:

173858521-cf2b5967-4c09-4cae-be12-c90443bab06c.jpg

Makes you miss the 90's so much.

In Japan is, as someone said, used to show strength. Because biceps, I guess.

mindatlarge

I'm surprised this made it into the game to begin with, considering it's like giving the middle finger in some countries and Nintendo's family friendly stance. Kinda sad I never noticed it.

Cha

I know what it means in the west and in JP, but all I think about when seeing it is Jean Claude van Damme in the Street Fighter Movie. Understand why its been removed.

akira28

It's use in Japan is different in the US.

Cultural differences, one is meant as an insult.

we don't even really use that in the US. I could see it as a girl showing her muscle.

edit: yeah I always associated this with Italians and Italian immigrants from the 20th century.

Top Bottom