• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

M-PG71C

If I understand correctly, this is the man that made Pokemon the 90s sensation (And eventual mega IP) in the U.S. back then, among other achievements.

I'm very interested in what he can pull off considering what Iwata started.

Oh, and hurry up and release the NX. I'm already saving up for launch, even though I have no damn clue what it's going to consist of yet.

milanbaros

Member?
I believe the number one issue with the WiiU has been price. Nothing has damaged it's sales more.

The first priority for NX should be getting it at $250 or even $200. Releasing 3 years on from xb one should mean they can deliver something of a similar power at a good price point.

doemaaan

I am super excited about the idea of a Nintendo theme park. I hope it has some relation to Universal purchasing a whole bunch of land for the possible addition of a new theme park based on video games… Or just an additional area to Universal Studios. I would love to go to a video game inspired themepark. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.

Trojan

I always thought 2016 was overly-ambitious for an NX release. Maybe first half of 2017, but releasing this year could really hamper any kind of 3rd party support they have because of short window for dev time.

This doesn't rule out 2016 for an NX release, but "details" make it sound farther out than that.

Crayolan

Finally time for the glorious return of the Super Mario Bros Super Show, The Legend of Zelda cartoon, and Kirby Right Back at Ya.

What if a mainline 3D Mario that manages to be different from both 3D World, Galaxy and SM64?

Sunshine 2 confirmed!

Anth0ny

details meaning release details. meaning november 2016 launch.

also if they're going to make any anime it'll be splatoon, fire emblem and maaaaaaaaaybe animal crossing.

My thoughts:

2) Kimishima says Nintendo wants to surprise fans with new ideas - not build on old ones. Nintendo will in 2016 release “details” on the NX.

I love that Nintendo is not afraid to subvert fan expectations. Sure I'd love a new Wave Race or Metroid as much as the next person, but I love seeing stuff like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Bayonetta 2 come out of nowhere. I hope Splatoon makes more bigger budgeted new IPs a reality.

With Wii U's dire release schedule I sure as shit hope we're getting more than "details" on NX.

3) Kimishima claims the expansion to smartphones and theme parks, but also to movies and TV animes (via character licensing) is progressing.

Whatever. I guess it'll make them more money, which is good, but I'm pretty much only interested in their console/handheld games.

4) He says it’s vital for Nintendo to experiment with new business models. He confirms the first smartphone app will be rolled out in March.

Same as above.

Hmm. I may be reading it wrong but I think the NX won't be coming out until 2017 but the announcement/revealing, or whatever you want to call it will be either at E3 or at the Tokyo Game Show this year.

My money is March 2017 in Japan and holiday 2017 rest of the world for the NX.

>nintendo
>tokyo game show
haha

I am super excited about the idea of a Nintendo theme park. I hope it has some relation to Universal purchasing a whole bunch of land for the possible addition of a new theme park based on video games… Or just an additional area to Universal Studios. I would love to go to a video game inspired themepark. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc.

universal & nintendo collaboration is already confirmed last year

DNAbro

Didn't we already know about the Universal x Nintendo deal? That is old news by now.

I believe the number one issue with the WiiU has been price. Nothing has damaged it's sales more.

The first priority for NX should be getting it at $250 or even $200. Releasing 3 years on from xb one should mean they can deliver something of a similar power at a good price point.

Price & games is hurting the Wii U right now. IMO, the 3DS got more love from Nintendo game-wise than the Wii U.

On the Price point, I agree; however, in Canada Nintendo will have to swallow hard and ignore the exchange rate if they want to sell it here. If they don't and the NX is 500+ dollars in Canada, its doomed in Canada IMO.

Splatoon Anime pls

Honestly. If any nintendo series will get an anime. I think it will be Splatoon.
UcenYdi.jpg

TheJoRu

My money is March 2017 in Japan and holiday 2017 rest of the world for the NX.

swtmvsx.jpg

This ain't the '80s, boy. I wouldn't rule out a 2017-release, but no matter what the NX is the difference in release date will not be that big. This is a generational switch; I'd say a few weeks difference between territories, at the most.

swtmvsx.jpg

This ain't the '80s, boy. I wouldn't rule out a 2017-release, but no matter what the NX is the difference in release date will not be that big. This is a generational switch; I'd say a few weeks difference between territories, at the most.

Nintendo is still old school IMO and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they give Japan the NX love before everyone else.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't get why serkan put details between "", since there's no trace of that in the original article. Still, maybe it's better if someone with good Japanese knowledge translates that bit of the (short, anyway) article.

Roo

Hopefully their investors meeting in February has these new NX details Kimishima is talking about.

I just noticed that articles and threads can't just put the name of Nintendo's president in their titles without explaining that that person is the president of Nintendo, since no one would know who he was otherwise. It makes Iwata's absence stand out even more.

Zalman

I would love a few anime series... Zelda, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Splatoon...

Is anime even that profitable though?
With characters as strong as Nintendo's, it can be. It also serves as advertisement for the games. There's a reason why Pokémon is one of their biggest franchises.

I don't get why serkan put details between "", since there's no trace of that in the original article. Still, maybe it's better if someone with good Japanese knowledge translates that bit of the (short, anyway) article.

it's in this sentence
計画を着実に実行し、数年以内に達成したい。
edit: oh wait i think i misunderstood your post.... haha

Confirmation on the anime and movies has me intrigued.

More than others, it raises questions on exactly what series they'd use, and the nature of the formats. Pokemon has largely made sense because of the continual output of new content, and the nature of its setting permitting a lot of filler. Something like Splatoon, whilst making sense in terms of seizing on current popularity, seems somewhat less certain in that regard.

Roo

Confirmation on the anime and movies has me intrigued.

More than others, it raises questions on exactly what series they'd use, and the nature of the formats. Pokemon has largely made sense because of the continual output of new content, and the nature of its setting permitting a lot of filler. Something like Splatoon, whilst making sense in terms of seizing on current popularity, seems somewhat less certain in that regard.
Fire Emblem is an obvious choice me thinks.
They can expand the FE universe as much as they please.

Edit: A Xenoblade anime following Shulk's adventures in Bionis etc is also a great option

jnWake

Anime? Kid Icarus, with the Uprising cast, has a lot of material for one. Fire Emblem adaptations could also be written as animes, like an anime for Marth's story or something like that.

Splatoon is also a good franchise for a TV show but I imagine it being more of a light hearted comedy cartoon.

Pikmin would be cool for a Pixar movie or something like that. It has cute characters, possible sad moments and opportunity of lessons for kids and stuff like that.

jjasso21

Wow, I loved the Mario, legend of Zelda and Kirby anime back in the day. It would be fun to watch, as well as build some hype for new games coming out. Also I would like to see a Kid Icarus and a new Fire Emblem anime. Even a Smash brothers one would be great and could get people talking about Nintendo again.

Top Bottom