• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations; Lowers Full-Year Forecast

Nintendo's needs another heavy hitter for FY16, which one? That's the question I'm struggling with as their heavy hitters are already out.

Nintendo already confirmed that there are alot unannounced games are in development for the Nintendo Wii U, so at least we know that there will be coming more from Nintendo, and some of them will be sure comeing out in 2016 ;)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Animal Crossing U, perhaps? I think pairing that with Zelda at the end of this year would be pretty big.

Perhaps with amiibo functionality?

Animal Crossing is a big seller in Japan; worldwide, it's average at best, especially on Wii U - not a 3 million seller.

Nintendo already confirmed that there are alot unannounced games are in development for the Nintendo Wii U, so at least we know that there will be coming more from Nintendo, and some of them will be sure comeing out in 2016 ;)

I think you're missing the point there.

The question is what 'big name' games will be released in 2016, like Zelda this year, Smash and MK 8 last year, and 3D World before that.

Personally I'm assuming Animal Crossing, and maybe another 3D Mario title. I'd like to consider Metroid in that league, but I'm not delusional.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
when is the investor's meeting? tonight at 8pm est right?
Yes. There's a countdown in the OP and on the previous page.

The question is what 'big name' games will be released in 2016, like Zelda this year, Smash and MK 8 last year, and 3D World before that.

Personally I'm assuming Animal Crossing, and maybe another 3D Mario title. I'd like to consider Metroid in that league, but I'm not delusional.
Well, a new/remastered Eternal Darkness is in "development".

Mory Dunz

Zelda Wii U could hit 3 million by year-end; though I expect it's fate to be much of the same to Skyward Sword: front-loaded, and die-off shortly after.

This is kind of random but I wonder what kind budgets the Nintendo AAA games have.
Like, how many million are needed to break even. Compared to other games.

The marketing budgets usually aren't gigantic so there's that. I just wonder about 3D World, Smash, etc.

Kind of off topic.

Animal Crossing is a big seller in Japan; worldwide, it's average at best, especially on Wii U - not a 3 million seller.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a massive hit but it's really the only game I can think of that has the potential to be a big seller.

I guess Mario Maker could be, if it's marketed correctly and features a lot more content than is currently known about.

At the last meeting, they spoke about using cards or smaller, cheaper figurines for franchises like Animal Crossing. I think they'll try to have a game out with that stuff this year, too - whether it's AC related or not.

4Tran

Okay, idle question time:

I think we all agree that Sony's gaming division is currently the most successful of the 3, and is clearly in the best position.

With that said, would you rather be in charge of Nintendo or Microsoft's gaming division? Obviously Microsoft is selling more console hardware and has more "mindshare." It also has significantly more sway with third parties.

On the other hand, they're selling less hardware overall than Nintendo is (as they only have the home console product line) and by all accounts are losing considerable money, while Nintendo is at least treading water. For now.
Microsoft is in a much better position. While the Xbone is never going to be spectacular, it can carve out a niche and put the company into a decent position to release the Xbox Two in 2018 or 2019. The only scary threat is that Microsoft might decide to get out of the game business, but even then Xbox should be able to build its home albeit with a new owner.

Nintendo faces the daunting task of having two platforms that are getting long in the tooth and are big disappointments compared to their immediate precursors. Even worse, they rely on their handheld business more than their home console one, and dedicated handhelds look like an ever shrinking market. These are very significant obstacles to overcome and there's a very good chance that Nintendo will not be able to do so when they release the replacements of the 3DS and Wii U. The only positive I'm seeing from Nintendo in the last few years is Amiibo, but seems to only be monetizing the preexisting Nintendo fanbase.

At the last meeting, they spoke about using cards or smaller, cheaper figurines for franchises like Animal Crossing.

Blind-bagged mini-amiibo or amiibo-card packs, full of villagers' cards. The hunt for KK Slider and Tom Nook is on.

Or maybe they'd do a line of figures for the town staples. I'd love Isabelle, Nook, KK, and Tortimer.

vinnygambini

Retro will save the day lol.

Star Tropics U amirite? ;)

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a massive hit but it's really the only game I can think of that has the potential to be a big seller.

At the last meeting, they spoke about using cards or smaller, cheaper figurines for franchises like Animal Crossing. I think they'll try to have a game out with that stuff this year, too.

Could be that. Nintendo needs a Japanese-centered title for Wii U in Q3 FY16, Zelda doesn't fit the bill - Animal Crossing does.

Ty4on

If Nintendo meets their forecast, yearly hardware sales will grow to 9 million.

Their estimate seems quite high without me knowing any inventory. I can't help but feel they expect too much from n3DS after looking at that Q3.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Could be that. Nintendo needs a Japanese-centered title for Wii U in Q3 FY16, Zelda doesn't fit the bill - Animal Crossing does.

Nintendo would be nuts to not get Animal Crossing U out as soon as possible. Those games sell and sell and sell over time in Japan. Obviously this one won't get New Leaf numbers, not even close, but it's something solid for them to put out there.

I was kind of thinking along those lines, actually. AC: Wii U for Japan this holiday with cards or mini amiibo, then Spring/Summer 2016 for the West.

NB we're talking fiscal year end 3/16, not CY16.

Also, ymmv in terms of how big one considers a new Zelda game relative to the titles released this FY. At least with regard to driving hardware. I don't think it's implausible that it has minimal HW impact given what's already out on the system even if it does get to that 3M mark.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii U is one of these. There's no way a multiplatform style gamepad with a screen on it whose main attractions beyond Off-TV Play are "enhanced multiplatform games," traditional Nintendo franchises (vs. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, etc.), and HD graphics is anything but a compromise on mass market appeal for the traditional gamer/Nintendo audience.

It's really not. Wii name, tablet controller which doesn't appeal to core, etc. I think they need to return to appealing to core to get back some market or they're in major trouble.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The investor meeting should start soon, right?

But there's nobody tweeting from there anymore. Maybe that Japanese account?

vinnygambini

"We will not be making smartphone games."

Stock: -10.5%

Iwata: "We will not be making smartphone games"

Iwata: "...however, exclusive Baby Pink Gold Peach amiibo for everyone in the room!"

Stock: +20%

Iwata: *laughs*

Sandfox

It's really not. Wii name, tablet controller which doesn't appeal to core, etc. I think they need to return to appealing to core to get back some market or they're in major trouble.

I would rather see them make families the target audience of their next platform tbqh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would rather see them make families the target audience of their next platform tbqh.

They tried with Wii U. Every kids magazine my children received had Wii U ads plastered all over. Even Parents magazine. It didn't work.

"We will not be making smartphone games."

Looking at the graph of handheld shipments throughout the decades, it's time to answer some long term strategic questions regarding platform support.

Looking at 2014, the market has been absolutely flooded with health/fitness devices and Nintendo still seems to be years out from what they plan to do in the space. If Healthcare as a platform is their solution then they need to have something substantial today to present.

vinnygambini

[Iwata] today, but had been scheduled to be held in the third quarter results briefing intended for the analysts and investors, there is a fever than last night because there is a suspicion of influenza, the we are so sorry held has decided that I am allowed to postpone. Schedule after the change will be happy to inform again.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo

Seems like its postponed ;.;

AmyS

Will Iwata be making statements like he did in January 2013 and March 2014 ?

Both years he talked about Nintendo's efforts for future hardware platforms.

Choomp

Banned
Animal Crossing U, perhaps? I think pairing that with Zelda at the end of this year would be pretty big.

Yeah, I can see that. They can do some interesting stuff with amiibos here, and the last entry of the series was popular as hell. Damn, now I'm excited. :p

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe threadworthy news, that of Mr. Iwata having fever or possible influenza?

I imagine that a) you don't want to get your investors sick b) you don't want to be seen in public as being sick/weak and c) he says suspected influenza and given the surgery last year, probably doesn't want to risk any health stuff. It must be reasonably serious, because I've seen Japanese people at work with fevers up to 38 degrees.

If we don't, I feel the Animal Crossing Plaza was a massive waste of Nintendo's time.

Edit - Damn, hope Iwata's ok.

How much effort would it have been, though? Weren't they the 3DS models with fancy Nintendo Land lighting applied?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The IR schedule was updated a bit just to reflect the change:

2015年3月期 第3四半期 決算説明会
※上記の決算説明会は開催を延期させていただきました。変更後の日程は改めてお知らせいたします
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/schedule/index.html

Top Bottom