• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations; Lowers Full-Year Forecast

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Comeback? Both the WiiU and 3DS are tanking, that can't be good. Oh well at least they stayed in black, so thats something!

I don't know why you would even begin to hope Splatoon would do something in a country where it went down 30% YoY with Mario Kart 8 and Smash

The Japanese seem to be rather excited about it. But even if not, why so negative? You said that as though what I said was offensive. lol

FZZ

Banned
3ds attach rate is in line with pretty much every successful handheld. the gb/c, psp, and gba all had an attach rate of somewhere between 4.25 and 4.75. the ds was like the ps2 of handhelds with its whopping 6+ games per unit.

Yeah I corrected myself. DS was too fresh in my head, Christ that handheld was insane.

JoeM86

Comeback? Both the WiiU and 3DS are tanking, that can't be good. Oh well at least they stayed in black, so thats something!

3DS is doing worse than last year, yeah though I wouldn't say it's tanking.
Wii U is also up on last year too. It's not selling high amounts, but also not tanking.

Ive been wondering. Since its possible that Nintendo cant reach high numbers anymore, would Investors be happy if Nintendo would just make profit? Nintendo seems to be taking more profitable route with amiibos anyway. I doubt they would try to reach high sales numbers, since that requires more western taste at the moment. But if they would make money even with low sales, would that be ok? They do seem to be pressured by some Investors to do different things either way, like mobile games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U is going to sell less than the GameCube isn't it?
Depends on how long they support it. Wii U is HD, has online, all control options.. . Nintendo devs have enough there to create hits for years to come.

Nintendo will either stick to Wii U until it becomes a success, or move on to something else. They spent 10 years on a GC tech and they always proceed with assets reuse in mind, so I'd go for the former hypothesis. They will announce a new big salve of Wii U games for 2016 at E3. Cut the price, and keep growing the userbase, for longer than GC stayed on the market.

AniHawk

well the 'comeback' is regarding their ability to actually make money versus losing it. although it's not purely them just selling lots of stuff to do so - there are other factors at play.

Oddduck

So is 2014 the "peak year" for Wii U?

Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong seem like bigger system sellers than Zelda, Splatoon, and Star Fox.

random25

Ive been wondering. Since its possible that Nintendo cant reach high numbers anymore, would Investors be happy if Nintendo would just make profit? Nintendo seems to be taking more profitable route with amiibos anyway. I doubt they would try to reach high sales numbers, since that requires more western taste at the moment. But if they would make money even with low sales, would that be ok? They do seem to be pressured by some Investors to do different things either way, like mobile games.

Some investors aren't even interested in games. Of course as long as they make a profit out of their investment they'll be happy regardless. That's why some of them push for moblie gaming as it is currently a cash cow to many gaming companies right now.

Some investors, sure, but most investors are interested in growth. Getting back into the black is always good, but they will be very curious about how QoL is going to grow the company.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong seem like bigger system sellers than Zelda, Splatoon, and Star Fox.
Yes but it's better to have Zelda, Splatoon, and Star Fox ON TOP of Smash and Mario Kart, which keep making news through DLCs btw

3DS forecast lowered to more reasonable number. Depending on reception to n3DS, could still see it missed.

I think Wii U HW is going to miss forecast as well.
It will either be FYE3/15 or the launch year depending upon if they hit forecast and/or how much they miss it by if they don't; they managed to push a ton of systems into the channel that first holiday coming off the success of the Wii.

AniHawk

yes. 2015 will be flat at best (which looks to be more like 3.25m than 3.6m). i bet the platform gets a price drop to $250 and they sell about 2.8m systems, mostly in the us.

edit: forgot about 2013.

Depends on how long they support it. Wii U is HD, has online, all control options.. . Nintendo devs have enough there to create hits for years to come.

Nintendo will either stick to Wii U until it becomes a success, or move on to something else. They spent 10 years on a GC tech and they always proceed with assets reuse in mind, so I'd go for the former hypothesis. They will announce a new big salve of Wii U games for 2016 at E3. Cut the price, and keep growing the userbase, for longer than GC stayed on the market.

That's a much safer route to go than trying to release a new console midway through the PS4/XBox One cycle. Especially if they can keep popping out the great games and selling Amiibo. Wii U could end abruptly rather soon, or it could go on longer than anyone thought possible. Schrodingers Wii U.
tada.gif

LOLDSFAN

With Mario Kart 8 at 4.77 million, how does it fare to the lowest selling MK (Super Circuit on GBA)?

Edit: Around 5..47 million for Super Circuit...looks like it's gonna be eclipsed sooner that expected :p

Always the first title I check when they announce LTD to see how close it is. :p

DieH@rd

Banned
Hardware is selling really poorly.

3DS is on the track for the very poor year, and WiIU surprisingly did not manage even to surpass shipments of the same quarter last year.

A price drop ($199 with Mario Kart) is bigger ;)

This is one thing I'm wondering: how long will they hold off for? All the price drops in the world didn't save the Gamecube. Perhaps they found a lesson from that- "Being marginally cheaper won't help a fundamentally unpopular product take off"- and are thus settling for climbing into profitability right now.

I guess it's possible they never do one until it's time to perform a clearance at the end of the generation? The regular 3ds still has only had its original panic-pricedrop that led to the ambassador game giveaway, right?

It doesn't matter to me on a personal level. I've owned one for a year.

There's no way in hell the Wii U will still be around by 2017, unless Nintendo is adamant about following through with a five year life cycle. I expect a Nintendo OS console/handheld hybrid at E3 next year.

If they market the next Zelda correctly to crowds that dont normally play it but enjoy Action/RPG type games then those numbers could get even more interesting.

I remember when Ocarina came out and the adverts in the UK alone got alot of people I know interested in the N64 instantly.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
3DS is doing worse than last year, yeah though I wouldn't say it's tanking.
Wii U is also up on last year too. It's not selling high amounts, but also not tanking.

Dunno man, WiiU is on course to be one of the worse selling consoles ever (not just Nintendo). Being a bit up from last year doesn't change that fact. It has been tanking since it's second quarter on the market. The 3DS was outpacing the DS at one point and where sales of the DS accelerated and went into the stratosphere, the 3DS imploded and is pulling mediocre numbers now. Both machines are in bad shape imo. On the plus side Nintendo seems to have their costs under control and making profit again, so hopefully they can work from there on a real comeback!

JoeM86

Dunno man, WiiU is on course to be one of the worse selling consoles ever (not just Nintendo). Being a bit up from last year doesn't change that fact. It has been tanking since it's second quarter on the market. The 3DS was outpacing the DS at one point and where sales of the DS accelerated and went into the stratosphere, the 3DS imploded and is pulling mediocre numbers now. Both machines are in bad shape imo. On the plus side Nintendo seems to have their costs under control and making profit again, so hopefully they can work from there on a real comeback!

There's not really much they can do to turn it around. I think we all accepted the Wii U was never going to do well after its first year.

As for the 3DS. It's not down from doing well to doing mediocre. It's not in bad shape. I'm fairly certain the knowledge of the N3DS and no release in Europe and US had a major impact on sales.

The Wii is an anomaly in sales terms. Take it out and the sales go:

NES > SNES > N64 > GameCube > Wii U

I tried to not look at sales for a while. I had in my head that Wii U was at about 12 million and rising fast after MK and Smash.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Any explanation for this?

Sadly there is no statement of cash flow - only in their year-end report they mention this.

The only possible outcome I see is: Proceeds from sales and redemption of short-term and long-term investment securities

Striek

Investors want to see growth, of course. Nevermind the fact the current profit isn't sustainable on its own.The business is cyclical, 3DS and Wii U are in their most 'profitable' stages. Soon they'll have to (presumably) deal with expenses in launching new platforms and further decreasing sales.

You have to remember the profits they are getting now cost Nintendo a lot of money. A couple of years of losses and probably a huge amount of lost profit from the Wii/DS that obfuscate the real level of disaster the 3DS/Wii U have been for them financially.

Nintendo wont be aiming to keep the ship merely steady in the long run, like Iwata said a long ass time ago (paraphrased) - "no point being in the business if the goal is to sell GC numbers".

If they market the next Zelda correctly to crowds that dont normally play it but enjoy Action/RPG type games then those numbers could get even more interesting.

I remember when Ocarina came out and the adverts in the UK alone got alot of people I know interested in the N64 instantly.

Well, the N64 got decimated by the PS1 in Europe, so this is a worthless anecdote. I think the next Zelda will do surprisingly well given the install base, but it won't attract new consumers. The Wii U is a lost cause.

E-phonk

Banned
Only question is, how much lower than the Gamecube is the Wii U going to sell?

I think somewhere between 14-16million has been thrown around in the past, and that seems about what it'll do LTD without any big surprises (and a pricedrop somewhere, I'd say around Q3-Q4 '15).

Ive been wondering. Since its possible that Nintendo cant reach high numbers anymore, would Investors be happy if Nintendo would just make profit? Nintendo seems to be taking more profitable route with amiibos anyway. I doubt they would try to reach high sales numbers
That has been their target for 1.5 years or so now. Hence no pricedrops.

Well, the N64 got decimated by the PS1 in Europe, so this is a worthless anecdote. I think the next Zelda will do surprisingly well given the install base, but it won't attract new consumers. The Wii U is a lost cause.

Attach rate will be very high, just like smash (but less compared to mario kart) - it can perform 3-4million, but it won't do miracles for Wii U.

That smash money coming in.

One thing for sure, Nintendo will literally just ride this gen out in their usual conservative fashion.

Mory Dunz

And a cause lost.

Is the 3DS forecast doable with the n3DS releasing?

geordiemp

It seems to suggest they make more profit from plastic toys than games or consoles.

The sales and marketing plan seems to be to monetise more the core fan base, which is probably correct.

Difficulty for Ninty imo is will people keep buying these toys and will they lose their novelty ?

exactly how long do you think they're going to keep it around? once its successor comes out they're gonna drop it :lol

edit: vinnygambini pls was there any point of removing the Wii in the OP :p

AniHawk

the ds started off by doing very poorly. not wii u bad, but in a spot where the psp was outselling it on a weekly basis pretty much everywhere in its first few months. the 3ds always stuck in that 12m-14m zone each and every year and never did particularly well in any year. there was no awesome year and there really wasn't any sort of implosion. just mediocrity from launch until now.

crinale

At least they may finally clearing out their initial WiiU stock.
Now finally it's their time to think about start producing again, or make revisions, price cuts, or whatever thing they couldn't do while they had bunch of stock.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Update:

Hardware & Software Guidance for FY15 prior to new forecast:

3DS HW: 12 million
Wii U HW: 3.6 million
3DS SW: 67 million
Wii U SW: 20 million

Hardware & Software Guidance for FY15 with new forecast:

3DS HW: 9 million (↓)
Wii U HW: 3.6 million
3DS SW: 61 million (↓)
Wii U SW: 25 million (↑)

Interesting that they increased the software forecast for Wii U by 5 mio. Practically they expect Q4 to be similar with Q1 or Q2, but what games will drive these 5 mio. sales though?

random25

And a cause lost.

Is the 3DS forecast doable with the n3DS releasing?

Doable, but two factors come to mind. One is if 3DS line in Japan will tank this quarter like last year's Q4 or not. So far not yet, but if it was as bad as last time then yeah we can forget about it. And two is if n3DS will somehow revitalize the anemic handheld market in the West. The current n3DS-enhanced games available to the upgraded version are certainly big (Smash 3DS, Majora's Mask 3D and MH4G) so we'll see how attractive the new version will be to the current and new user base.

I don't know in what bizarro world the Wii U isn't tanking. That it's been tanking throughout its lifetime doesn't really change that.
Sadly there is no statement of cash flow - only in their year-end report they mention this.

The only possible outcome I see is: Proceeds from sales and redemption of short-term and long-term investment securities
It's the safe bet. Although, I thought they did normally include a statement of CF.

deleted

I think the news of the "new" 3DS probably slowed sales of the current models.

I think shipments are actually the exact same as last year, which is pretty coincidental but eh whatever

edit: actually it's down from 1.95m to 1.91m

Thanks for the info.

Seems like the Wii U could end up at around 15-20m in the end, depending on wether Nintendo will support it for another 2 years and if they will finally have a price drop (May maybe, coinciding with Mario Kart DLC, Splatoon and maybe Smash DLC?)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that they increased the software forecast for Wii U by 5 mio. Practically they expect Q4 to be similar with Q1 or Q2, but what games will drive these 5 mio. sales though?
Mario Maker, Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda I assume.

AniHawk

considering they only have kirby and mario party 10, it really is an odd thing to do. kirby may hit about 700k worldwide, being optimistic. mario party 10 could maaaaybe do about 1.5m units. again, optimistically.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And Japan market is really hurting the Wii U even more than the rest of the world. I hope Nintendo will once and for all move their consoles from now on away from being built with Japan market in mind. It's dead there.

Anth0ny

Wii U is going to sell less than the GameCube isn't it?

Guaranteed.

I'd be surprised if it cracks 15 million by the end of its life. They sold 3.34 million Wii Us in what will likely be the biggest year for the console. If they can somehow maintain those numbers for the next two years, they crack 15 million. But they don't have another Smash Bros coming. Or Mario Kart. Or Mario. So I can't see it happening.

DieH@rd

Banned

Most likely they expect traditional "never ending sales" of Mario Kart and Smash. I don't think that will work.

Guaranteed.

I'd be surprised if it cracks 15 million by the end of its life. They sold 3.34 million Wii Us in what will likely be the biggest year for the console. If they can somehow maintain those numbers for the next two years, they crack 15 million. But they don't have another Smash Bros coming. Or Mario Kart. Or Mario. So I can't see it happening.

Console is at 9.2M shipped already. By the end of the 2015 Nintendo will probably add another 3-4M. I can see it reaching 15M sold through sometimes in 2016.

Top Bottom