• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals top 3 favorite Wii U/3ds games on miiverse for 2015

Vena

That's a relative thing to whoever answered that. But the team formed at the end of 2012 according to Sato - lead programmer.

Wasn't most of that time planning? Because either they took their sweet time for the first 10% (which may have been the hardest part of development), or they really picked up the pace for the latter 90%.....or both. And even then, unless they up their staff, this wouldn't bode well for the time it'll take for Spla2n to hit the NX Platform

Splatoon as we see it was developed in a little over a year. They had the original demo-builds a long time ago with the tofu blocks/rabbits.

Splatoon as they showed it as E3 last year was a very barebones vertical slice with barely any weapons or work done outside of the one stage they demoed. I think this is where the idea of a "year and a little" came from. But Garage was formed a while ago and the original ideas/demos of Splatoon's prototype were more than a year.

Neoxon

Splatoon as we see it was developed in a little over a year. They had the original demo-builds a long time ago with the tofu blocks/rabbits.

Splatoon as they showed it as E3 last year was a very barebones vertical slice with barely any weapons or work done outside of the one stage they demoed. I think this is where the idea of a "year and a little" came from. But Garage was formed a while ago and the original ideas/demos of Splatoon's prototype were more than a year.
That makes sense.

Megatron

Were they excluding games not published this year? Hard to imagine smash didn't get in the top 3. This feels like marketing.

Madao

i wondered why Xenoblade was 3rd already and then looked at my collection and i just got 4 retail games this year, the top 3 ones and Yoshi (i got only 2 eshop-only games).

the end of year lineup turned out pretty bad. reminds me of 2005 since the situation was very similar (flagship game delayed, good game was super niche and the rest were duds)

fernoca

Since some missed it...
This wasn't based on sales, posts, followers or random talk on Miiverse; but actual votes on Miiverse.

They ran a contest on which you had to vote for your favorite game and the winners were going to receive a $15 eShop credit.

I voted for
Yoshi's Woolly World.
:p

So, Xenoblade didn't made it because of people asking questions but because people voted for it, and games not "winning" were the result of not enough people voting for them. The posts about it include comments from the votes, as you had to not only vote for a game, but explain why.

i wondered why Xenoblade was 3rd already and then looked at my collection and i just got 4 retail games this year, the top 3 ones and Yoshi (i got only 2 eshop-only games).

the end of year lineup turned out pretty bad. reminds me of 2005 since the situation was very similar (flagship game delayed, good game was super niche and the rest were duds)
It's too bad. Zelda getting delayed was the major blow (albeit expected), but Star Fox Zero seemed like it'd be a solid anchor in its place. Now it's just Xenoblade and Yoshi, and a seemingly mediocre Mario Tennis (haven't played it for myself) and Animal Crossing spin-off no one asked for.

No! Xenoblade X should be above the Squids. Squids above Mario though. Too bad more people have become Squidz than Mimeosomes...

While granted, the Splatoon devs got the first game done in a little over a year, the fact that they're still working on additional content for Splatoon doesn't bode well for Splatoon 2 (or Spla2n, as some are nicknaming the probable sequel) making it out for the NX's launch. Maybe if one of the NX form factors is saved for Spring 2017, you could be technically right. But unless they're working on Spla2n simultaneously with (what may be) the last of the first game's DLC, I doubt they'll have it ready for a Holiday 2016 release.

Not to kill any buzz, but I would assume the next game from the splatoon team will be an animal crossing game for the next handheld, rather than spla2oon.

jholmes

Since some missed it...
This wasn't based on sales, posts, followers or random talk on Miiverse; but actual votes on Miiverse.

They ran a contest on which you had to vote for your favorite game and the winners were going to receive a $15 eShop credit.

I voted for
Yoshi's Woolly World.

So, Xenoblade didn't made it because of people asking questions but because people voted for it, and games not "winning" were the result of not enough people voting for them. The posts about it include comments from the votes, as you had to not only vote for a game, but explain why.

This is true. There were custom communities set up and replying to the main post actually put the posts in people's activity feeds so I'm sort of surprised so many people didn't know about this.

If you care (you probably don't) I voted for Super Mario Maker and 3D Out Run. Yeah, 3D Out Run. Look, it was my favourite downloadable of the year I liked it more than Senran Kagura 2 or Chibi Robo, and I was never going to vote for Majora's Mask, and those are the only three retail 3DS games I got this year.

Regiruler

Very odd to see XCX as it just came out and not Smash considering how big that title is.

Might have been excluded because it wasn't, you know, released this year.
No! Xenoblade X should be above the Squids. Squids above Mario though. Too bad more people have become Squidz than
Mimeosomes

Please mark your spoilers.
Since some missed it...

I voted for
Yoshi's Woolly World.

Wait fuck I could have gotten eShop credit?

Ansatz

TFH is one of the most under-appreciated games of the year. A wonderful new take on the storied Zelda franchise.

I didn't expect much from it going by the Four Swords games so I was pleasantly surprised. TFH has the best combat of any mainline Zelda in terms of execution and exceptional level/puzzle design. I'm really glad they gave us a quality co-op game that actually demands teamwork. A top game for me, it doesn't feel like a spinoff either.

PtM

Banned
OP you did it, now I do want some Miiverse statistics like last year.

Maybe mods could change the thread title to "US Miiverse voted their top games" or something?

Must say I enjoy the TFH demo.

Piers

But what about best Miiverse posts?
COaYCniUwAAgXE6.jpg

Courtesy of Bad Miiverse Posts

Qwark

Can somebody explain what L + A means? I've barely used Miiverse and have not picked up XCX so I don't understand the context.

Can't really argue much about the top 3
Splatoon taking that first place. Well deserved.
Nice to see Xenoblade x and monster hunter 4 though

So you think Animal Crossing NX is next?

If are working on the assumption there is a handheld version of the NX (I certainly am), then yes, I think that.

Much as I like splatoon, I suspect Animal Crossing will move more units. Plus it'll give them some time to come up with more original ideas for splatoon 2.

sörine

Banned
Triforce Heroes is fun and definitely much better than people give it credit for but it wouldn't even make my 3DS top ten for this year tbh.

L95

I really like how Miiverse is so integrated into Splatoon (ingame, I mean, it shows up as graffiti and stuff)

Astral Dog

Impressed with Xenoblade there ... it was just released and it is already on top3 ?

Also, weird to see Majora's there ... while it is an awesome game, it is not as miiverse friendly as splatoon or mario maker, for example
Those are Wii U games, lots of new players to MM, Zelda.

sörine

Banned
There were 10 notable 3DS games released in the west this year?
My top 12 in alphabetical order:

3D Gunstar Heroes
3D Outrun
3D Streets of Rage II
A-Train: City Simulator 3D
Box Boy
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Nintendo Badge Arcade
help me!
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker