• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discomurf

Based on the couple of sources now, I think the odds are VR capability is happening more than not. Call me crazy but maybe the Switch screen can display higher resolution for low-level experiences and vr videos? That could explain Takashi Mochizuki's tweet about WQHD a couple of weeks ago.

Based on the couple of sources now, I think the odds are VR capability is happening more than not. Call me crazy but maybe the Switch screen can display higher resolution for low-level experiences and vr videos? That could explain Takashi Mochizuki's tweet about WQHD a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe their launch work-around for the Switch being 720p is having it dock inside the VR shell, and then it outputs to a separate higher res display inside closer to the lenses?

And then later units would have an SCD that boosts direct performance for higher level VR experiences.

Portugeezer

In theory it could have a 1080p screen but Nintendo could limit the system to only display games at 720p in portable mode (which on 6" should be fine), which would allow for simple VR games to possible unlock the full 1080p...

Anyway, I don't think Nintendo is balls deep in VR or anything, they are just covering various aspects. It could happen in the future if VR does indeed take off or is important enough.

rekameohs

Banned
In theory it could have a 1080p screen but Nintendo could limit the system to only display games at 720p in portable mode (which on 6" should be fine), which would allow for simple VR games to possible unlock the full 1080p...

Anyway, I don't think Nintendo is balls deep in VR or anything, they are just covering various aspects. It could happen in the future if VR does indeed take off or is important enough.
720p games would look worse on a 1080p screen than 720p since they wouldn't scale perfectly. It would probably be negligible, though.

I really hope they nail the network component of this console. I'm on board with everything I've heard so far, but if this has a similar set-up to the Wii U's Nintendo Network ID scheme I'll be turned off.

Recently, I chose to change to a new ID as I wanted a name change. I knew all the issues involved (loss of saves, loss of games), but I wanted it that bad going forward. Would be nice if they work out the kinks.

Discomurf

Maybe their launch work-around for the Switch being 720p is having it dock inside the VR shell, and then it outputs to a separate higher res display inside closer to the lenses?

And then later units would have an SCD that boosts direct performance for higher level VR experiences.

Yeah that's what I was thinkling as well. Obe 1's rumor mentioned the headset 'dock' can output the USB C, which might be required. Takashi Mochizuki is a pretty serious source... so something could be going on with that screen.

Agree, I think it might be more about 'ticking the VR box' from a marketing perspective too. Still I imagine Nintendo could make some pretty interesting experiences even if simple... W̶i̶i̶ Switch Sports VR anyone?

AntMurda

Agree, I think it might be more about 'ticking the VR box' from a marketing perspective too. Still I imagine Nintendo could make some pretty interesting experiences even if simple... W̶i̶i̶ Switch Mii Sports VR anyone?

Fixed. But those patents did seem to show Mii VR baseball no? There's a good chance we will see a Mii Sports game with augmented vr ir controls.

Man am I craving a F Zero game.

I mean how is it that the only F Zero related thing we've gotten from Nintendo is from the dlc in Mario kart?

J@hranimo

Banned
By the time Nintendo bother, if they bother releasing the VR headset, there will probably be a Switch Pro with 1080p screen or whatever which would be better for VR.

I mean even if it doesn't release with this Switch device, they have been at least testing it with it. Saying "it can't work" just doesn't make sense here.

random25

Switch VR isn't happening anytime soon, I think. Not simply because of screen limitations, but because nobody has yet to figure out mainstream VR gaming. Even the pioneers of the technology haven't put out big games that will convince the mass market that VR gaming has arrived. Maybe Nintendo can crack that shell because they do use the technology on their mainstream games, but I don't think they are even pouring a good amount of time and resources on developing VR games at the moment. They really can't afford too much risk at the moment anyway.

AntMurda

Oh rly? I didn't even see those images - do you have a link? thx

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/24/nintendo-patents-may-reveal-unannounced-switch-features

Mii Sports?

Untitled-5.jpg

AdanVC

In exactly one week, we all going to be on maximum hype mode with: "OMFG 20 minutes left i love you all!" Can't wait :')

DNAbro

I will fight you.

As far as 2D Zeldas(or psuedo 2d, I guess I mean top down) go it is

Link's Awakening
A Link Between Worlds
The Minish Cap
Spirit Tracks
A Link to the Past
Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II

I haven't ever finished the Oracle games so they don't go anywhere.

GamerJM

Banned
Best Zelda overall is Twilight Princess

Best 2D is Minish Cap

I still need to play all the GBC ones and Majora's Mask but I've played everything else

Yagami_Sama

I hope that they do a HD Remake of kid Icarus : uprising, it was great game on 3DS , but the controls were not that good. Also they should pack in a port of Star Fox Zero with a traditional control scheme.

And a Metroid II remake would be glorious.

A man can dream.

Geoff is memeing when he asked about arkham city armored edition to reggie and how it was the same as the ps3/x360 version and reggie said "it's not the same game, it's not the same content".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom