• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Consumers will be playing demos.
You don't show them something cool and then not let them touch it afterwards.

Debirudog

Remember when Sony won E2 2015 on basically smoke and mirrors with Shenmue 3 and FF7Remake that are still nowhere to be seen? I think Nintendo needs to do stuff like that going forward. Announce a bunch of games early or maybe not even in production to create hype and "win" E3s among the "hardcore"/gaming press to turn the narrative around to them actually having lots of games coming. Never understood the rationale behind only showing games for the next few months as that just makes the lower amount of games much more noticeable.

I hate that approach but it does seem to work...

That would only make sense to me if they have an absolutely incredibly staken first six months. Otherwise, people might feel uncertain if Nintendo can only show a decent lineup for its first few months.

For what we know, the first six months are packed.

Beyond that there's only a glimpse of Retro's and Monolith's new games.

Richie

612160.gif

Genius. Even more so if done with Europe in mind.

Zedark

There is a middle way though. SSB for example. There's no reason to show too much of it now if it comes for holidays. Just a tease, eventually a new character and save the rest for E3. Pokemon Stars can again just be teased or not shown at all this week.

Then for 2018 they can tease something like 2 games now and still have enough (hopefully!!!) for Q1 and Q2 2018 to show at E3.

I don't see the need for a Nintendo Direct between now and E3, rather some more Treehouse with hands-on for the games closer to launch.

True, that is probably the best way to go about it, though in that case they will get accu's of smoke and mirror tactics. Still, that's probably a complaint felt strong only by the hardcore gamers (GAF etc.), so it's likely the best way to go about it.

Lucifon

Remember when Sony won E2 2015 on basically smoke and mirrors with Shenmue 3 and FF7Remake that are still nowhere to be seen? I think Nintendo needs to do stuff like that going forward. Announce a bunch of games early or maybe not even in production to create hype and "win" E3s among the "hardcore"/gaming press to turn the narrative around to them actually having lots of games coming. Never understood the rationale behind only showing games for the next few months as that just makes the lower amount of games much more noticeable.

I hate that approach but it does seem to work...

Absolutely not. 'Winning E3' is like a potato award. It doesn't translate to much outside of a few days of positive sentiment amongst the hardcore fans who've probably already bought your system anyway. Nintendo really need to focus on realistic upcoming software to give confidence that this is a well supported system unlike the WiiU. There's E3 in June to push the next set of software too. Pie in the sky games that are years away don't help.

ryanofcall

I believe LKD or Emily Rogers said there is an unusual new IP that hasn't been leaked yet and that they wouldn't talk about in advance (I don't remember exactly what was said, so I'm sure I'm butchering it). But a new IP is always of interest, so I wouldn't be surprised if that will be a game in high demand at the Switch event if it's real.

EDIT: Didn't find any tweets about not leaking it in my one search, but I did find the original tweets about it. From Emily Rogers:

[source]

Uhh that sounds exciting! Now I'm even more hyped for the live stream on thursday :D

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Really. You have "best practices". It works. Otherwise the "Switch has no games" articles are writing themselves. And maybe not now, but you can bet they will after March and up until E3. Why would anybody would want to bring that kind of negativity onto Switch beats me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Consumers will be playing demos.
You don't show them something cool and then not let them touch it afterwards.

This is absurd. You always have games that are not playable afterwards. At every E3 and previous Nintendo launch events too.

My guess is that they're going to focus on the first six months of Switch on the friday event and then on the E3 for the fall/2018 titles.

At least that's what common sense says to me.

So Zelda, Mario 3d, 3 Wii U ports, one new IP and that's pretty much it? Maybe Pikmin 3. That sounds to you like a proper launch live event for the only console that Nintendo still has on the market?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Absolutely not. 'Winning E3' is like a potato award. It doesn't translate to much outside of a few days of positive sentiment amongst the hardcore fans who've probably already bought your system anyway. Nintendo really need to focus on realistic upcoming software to give confidence that this is a well supported system unlike the WiiU. Pie in the sky games that are years away don't help.

It helps shape the narrative among gamers and potential customers that it is a worthwhile plattform. Since the N64-days, this narrative have been extremely negative on Nintendo from mainstream press and "hardcore" gamers for various reasons, while Sony even when they fucked up with the PS3 has been hailed as the saviour of gaming. This means that even though we might personally like Sonys approach to PR, Nintendo should try to learn some tricks from them. They need every bit of positivity they can get going forward, as the gaming media/people who create the general narrative is not going to give them anything easy.

So Zelda, Mario 3d, 3 Wii ports, one new IP and that's pretty much it? Maybe Pikmin 3. That sounds to you like a proper launch live event for the only console that Nintendo still has on the market?

The key word is focus. Not that they're not going to tease anything for the far tuture.

And you're leaving out of the table whatever third pary games can come plus VC and Nindies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Welcome to Nintendo Direct January 2013.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The key word is focus. Not that they're not going to tease anything for the far tuture.

And you're leaving out of the table whatever third pary games can come plus VC and Nindies.

There are not really any big 3rd party games launching in the first 6 months of Switch that are also likely to come on Switch. So that would be quite a number of late ports that can't really be avoided. Combine that with the Wii U ports and you can see the "old games" story building up. So Nintendo needs to show a comparable number of new games coming in short and medium term.

And while I like the Nindies they mostly reach a small audience.

Faustek

It just hit me that I have no clue if the presentation will be streamed, what day it will be streamed. Is it tree house stream? Is it a direct? Have I just not cared enough or have they said nothing else than a date?

It's streamed, it's a stage presentation. It'll be on YouTube/Twitch same as usual. It'll be Japanese with an english commentary. It's on Thursday night at 11pm ET.
What Sheroking said. They're also doing Treehouse Live on Friday at 9:30 AM ET to demo Switch games.

<3

Sheroking

I really do hope they pull a January 2013 direct and just go for broke. It would harm E3 and their ability to do interesting directs for the future, but I think it's worth it to get as much positive momentum as you can headed into launch.

Just announce everything. Pre-rendered announcement trailers for stuff that's three years away. The full monty.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Welcome to Nintendo Direct January 2013.

That was the first really positive vibe that Wii U got. Unfortunately was killed very quickly by Rayman delay and the drought that followed until summer with only March getting some good games, but with limited audience.

robotrock

Banned
Bayonetta 3 feels like a real possibility IMO
Why? I'd like to be hopeful on this, but any reason to suspect it?

The MGR director is on Nier, Kamita is on Scalebound. Then they're also making a couple of mobile games. I don't think the Bayonetta 2 director has a project right now.

Sheroking

It just hit me that I have no clue if the presentation will be streamed, what day it will be streamed. Is it tree house stream? Is it a direct? Have I just not cared enough or have they said nothing else than a date?

It's streamed, it's a stage presentation. It'll be on YouTube/Twitch same as usual. It'll be Japanese with an english commentary. It's on Thursday night at 11pm ET.

I really do hope they pull a January 2013 direct and just go for broke. It would harm E3 and their ability to do interesting directs for the future, but I think it's worth it to get as much positive momentum as you can headed into launch.

Just announce everything. Pre-rendered announcement trailers for stuff that's three years away. The full monty.

If there is a teaser/footage of the next Xenoblade, welcome to the new January 2013 direct.

_Clash_

Why? I'd like to be hopeful on this, but any reason to suspect it?

The MGR director is on Nier, Kamita is on Scalebound. Then they're also making a couple of mobile games. I don't think the Bayonetta 2 director has a project right now.

Yeah, it won't be complete most likely. But Nintendo is pretty invested in growing Bayonetta the mascot, the way she's been handled suggest Nintendo is happy paying the bills for her as their flagship action experience IMO, solid metacritic guaranteed, grows the portfolio, they get a good deal from Platinum. Just makes sense

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

What Sheroking said. They're also doing Treehouse Live on Friday at 9:30 AM ET to demo Switch games.

Yeah, it won't be complete most likely. But Nintendo is pretty invested in growing Bayonetta the mascot, the way she's been handled suggest Nintendo is happy paying the bills for her as their flagship action experience IMO, solid metacritic guaranteed, grows the portfolio, they get a good deal from Platinum. Just makes sense

I honestly never would have anticipated this character, of all characters, becoming associated with Nintendo's brand (she's like the antithesis of Princess Peach), but after Smash happened, it seems that that's what happened. The only thing left to cement it would be a Switch-exclusive Bayonetta 3 to show that Bayonetta 2 wasn't a fluke.

I don't think they'd do a bundle again, but I'd really love it if they released Bayonetta 3 in a Bayonetta Trilogy package. If there is a Bayonetta 3 coming, I wonder if they'd consider porting 1 and 2 to Switch. The Switch versions should be the definitive versions of the first two games, since they'd like finally provide a stable 60 fps if the system ends up being a Wii U++.

correojon

Ugh, no. The wait for Xenoblade X was already too long and the wait for BotW is killing me. I like it more when they announce games closer to release and we can actually see the game. It´s one of the reasons I preffer Nintendo to Sony and MS, I feel like with those systems people´s always talking about the games to come and imagining they will be awesome instead of, you know, playing them or at least watching how the games will really be. It may work commercially but I wouldn´t like it. You say Sony won E3 2015 with that tactic, but look at what Nintendo did with the opposite and BotW in 2016. People weren´t avalanching to the booths to watch Shenmue 3 or FF7 Remake´s trailers, they were doing it to get their hands on BotW.

It does but it would be a ways off. Platinum has their hands full currently. Automata is coming out soon & Scalebound will probably come out in the fall.

yeah, the possibility is there, but it would just be an early announcement at this point.
God i hope so though.

Anticipation is killing my productivity. I just.can't wait.

My hunch is that we're getting a Wii U+ system, with modern enough architecture to sustain almost all indie releases (something that will suffice, since most of my gaming time is devoted to indie games these days).

The question is whether the system can support multiplatform releases in genres that Nintendo needs help e.g. sports titles and fps games. If it does, and we are able to see ports of FIFA and NBA for the next few years, this will be a dream system for me (Nintendo games + indie titles on the go + FIFA/PES on a portable = heaven).

I believe AAA titles are out of the question, unless a game is supported on PS3/360, something that is not happening anymore (we may see a few more ports like Tomb Raider, and that's it).

Debirudog

Ugh, no. The wait for Xenoblade X was already too long and the wait for BotW is killing me. I like it more when they announce games closer to release and we can actually see the game. It´s one of the reasons I preffer Nintendo to Sony and MS, I feel like with those systems people´s always talking about the games to come and imagining they will be awesome instead of, you know, playing them or at least watching how the games will really be. It may work commercially but I wouldn´t like it. You say Sony won E3 2015 with that tactic, but look at what Nintendo did with the opposite and BotW in 2016. People weren´t avalanching to the booths to watch Shenmue 3 or FF7 Remake´s trailers, they were doing it to get their hands on BotW.

Well yeah. However, while you, I and a bunch of others don't like that kind of marketing, the majority were content with Sony's performance for 2015 because dreams came true.

albiet severely compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom