• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grylvak

So I just traded in stuff to GameStop so I can have something to put towards the Switch when pre-orders opened, and the lady behind the counter offered to put the credit towards something in the system and then have it roll over on Friday when pre-orders opened? I went ahead and did it since I can revoke it beforehand if needed but I thought this was odd. Has this happened to anyone else?

It's probably just me, but I actually dig that you guys post a lot of news, even if sometimes it's just a new JP 3DS theme. Iuno, I find it exciting.

Well thank you! I don't post everything I come across, but I do cast a wide net. Even if a post makes just one person happy, I'm cool with it. That's why we have the tags and all that. Filter out what you don't want!

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in for the discussion of the GameStop Germany post we shared. Before I posted, I went through the Reddit user's comment history to see what he had been up to and how long he was a member. I also read his replies to people asking him questions on the GameStop Germany thread before sharing.

Very shortly after posting on GN, I also added a RUMOR tag to the post. Followed up with a tweet to let people know. Not trying to disseminate false info or have people read stuff as fact when it's rumor right now. Sorry for any confusion.

As for us posting every bit of Nintendo news, I certainly have cut back in recent years. Well, I should say that I've been trying to, and hopefully some have noticed that. As for right now, the Switch excitement is hitting for all directions, so there are a few more fluff pieces than usual.

Either way, no anger or ill will towards any comments here. Just wanted everyone to know where I was coming from. Thanks to all that support the site, and if we aren't your thing and you don't visit, I completely understand.

Thanks, guys!
Its all Nintendo news anyways so why wouldnt you post it lol? Been doing that since 2006.. not sure why people would even complain

I believe he is and so am I... Wii was a fad... no one cares about it anymore.. maybe Sean Malstrom, his followers and people that became a Nintendo fan after 2006.

I've been on this boat since the NES man, most my friends (the ones that still play video-games) will agree with me... the Wii was a huge mistake, it was Nintendo turning its back to the people that loved and supported it. It sold incredibly well, it surely did, but at an extremely high cost to the company's image, to the point where the WiiU (that is a fairly decent console with amazing games) sold almost anything.

the wii u failed due to terrible marketing and poor support. if anything the wii should have helped it succeed but nintendo bungled that harder than anyone could have expected.

So I just traded in stuff to GameStop so I can have something to put towards the Switch when pre-orders opened, and the lady behind the counter offered to put the credit towards something in the system and then have it roll over on Friday when pre-orders opened? I went ahead and did it since I can revoke it beforehand if needed but I thought this was odd. Has this happened to anyone else?

You mean that the lady pre-ordered something completely different? I've done that before, but it doesn't mean you'll get a pre-order any faster... They still have to cancel the old and put the money on what you actually want and they'll require you be there in person to do so. Seems a bit backwards.

There are elements of this that I'll never understand though. What makes a hardcore Nintendo fan? Presumably, it's a love of their franchises (The IPs themselves along with the way they play). You still got those with the Wii. Super Mario Galaxy is arguably the best Mario game. I don't personally like it, but a lot of people go to bat for Skyward Sword. What is it about the Wii that didn't deliver what Nintendo fans would have wanted?
Yeah, that's the one thing I don't get. It got the Metroids, Zeldas, Marios, Smash, Kart, Fire Emblem, Punch Out, etc. I'm not seeing how they abandoned their fans, unless you wanna discount everything that's not F Zero or Star Fox

Interesting. Didn't know this was possible.

Jetku

I hope it works out for you, but she's breaking rules. GameStop isn't commission based, but employees are required to meet certain "numbers", reservations being one of them. She got to get an extra reserve off you since you'd normally have to wait until Friday. Then whoever rolls it over will also get a reserve. Net impact, hopefully it benefits you but it screws people who line up Friday and she could get in trouble for this.

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't get. It got the Metroids, Zeldas, Marios, Smash, Kart, Fire Emblem, Punch Out, etc. I'm not seeing how they abandoned their fans, unless you wanna discount everything that's not F Zero or Star Fox

Hellooh, the entire world is a zero sum game. Some soccer moms got their Fitness thingy, therefore it is inconceivable that the hardcore fanbase got their fair share!

Man how far we've come.

Remember these days?

nintendo_nx_fake.0.0.jpg

Lol that was so much craziness.

THE TREES!!!!

Grylvak

You mean that the lady pre-ordered something completely different? I've done that before, but it doesn't mean you'll get a pre-order any faster... They still have to cancel the old and put the money on what you actually want and they'll require you be there in person to do so. Seems a bit backwards.

I asked her if I had to be there or call in and she said that she was keeping a list and would switch it over. (no pun intended) I've been going to this GameStop for a while and they've held amiibo for me before but this was a bit different so I was curious.

I hope it works out for you, but she's breaking rules. GameStop isn't commission based, but employees are required to meet certain "numbers", reservations being one of them. She got to get an extra reserve off you since you'd normally have to wait until Friday. Then whoever rolls it over will also get a reserve. Net impact, hopefully it benefits you but it screws people who line up Friday and she could get in trouble for this.

Oh jeez, I might just cancel it then in that case. I want a Switch, but i'd rather not screw someone else over.

GAMETA

Banned
If I had to chose between N64, SNES, Gamecube... N64 would certainly be the last one on my list. I'd be interested to know what it did that's so important.

WTF? Were you even born when videogames moved from 2D to 3D?

The PS1 in 1994 did an amazing job showing everyone 3D graphics but it was the N64 in 96 that perfected everything. The N64 changed the whole thing. Most of the games you play today are still based on concepts created by Nintendo on the N64 era.

What did it do that's so important? It created the fucking fundamentals of 3D gaming that's what it did. WTF dude?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
dayum, 512gb SD cards are expensive. I wonder if that will be the desired route in terms of capacity we should be looking for

Just a matter of:

-How many games you buy digitally
-How many you play at any one time
-Whether you want your while library available at all times.

Pay up for a big card if it's a lot and you want it all available, if it's fewer games the internal storage and/or smaller, cheaper cards will be better.

I won't buy digitally other than the few games I play longterm (Splatoon, Animal Crossing etc.) so I'll be just internal, or internal plus a 128gb card probably once I take the plunge.

I think the idea of the SCD would be that it would be some modular component that you were either swapping with something better (It's a graphic's card that's better than the one in the current system, and therefore you bypass the existing one and use the better one to improve your experience while docked), or maybe you're doubling what's already there (You're adding an additional graphics card that can work in line with what's already in the system to provide a better experience while docked).

For that to work, the architectures would need to be pretty well in line between the scd and the switch itself. As such, attaching something like the Wii U wouldn't help a whole lot since they're totally different, and likely largely incompatible pieces of technology; one couldn't boost the other.

I doubt the SCD patent stuff will every apply to Switch. It doesn't really make since with the hybrid nature of the device. New docks could up power via SCD when docked, but it would get harder and harder to make those same games run in portable mode.

My guess is the SCD idea was when they were still considering a pure console. It makes more sense there as cheaper and less wasteful way to offer upgrades (especially iterartive, mid gen type upgrades) as they can just sell an SCD that plugged into the existing console rather than requiring people to ditch their old consoles and buy a new one.

I believe he is and so am I... Wii was a fad... no one cares about it anymore.. maybe Sean Malstrom, his followers and people that became a Nintendo fan after 2006.

I've been on this boat since the NES man, most my friends (the ones that still play video-games) will agree with me... the Wii was a huge mistake, it was Nintendo turning its back to the people that loved and supported it. It sold incredibly well, it surely did, but at an extremely high cost to the company's image, to the point where the WiiU (that is a fairly decent console with amazing games) sold almost anything.

I've been gaming since the early 90's. I have had pretty much every single Nintendo and Sony Console since i received a gameboy as a little kid. Although i seem to post more in Nintendo threads , i'm definitely more of a Sony gamer, but the Wii was not a mistake. It is a great console, it is is one of the most unfairly maligned consoles by a vocal sub group of gamers who couldn't handle it's image.

I always respect it , a for it's amazing games, but also because it legitimised Video games. I could talk video games with pretty much anyone from that point on. Sure, Nintendo didn't capitalise on it, but it wasn't just a fad. It had lasting impression on the video game industry, but it was a shit load of fun too.

Just saying, people shouldn't be concerned with hardcore or Casuals. We're all gamers in out own little ways.

VR uses a ton of motion controls.

As much as people hate on motion controls nowadays, that concept still lives and will continue to live one way or another.

Yep. Speaking as someone who had an Oculus pre-Touch controls and post-Touch controls, motion is absolutely necessary and integral to that process. That started in earnest with the Wii.

I asked her if I had to be there or call in and she said that she was keeping a list and would switch it over. (no pun intended) I've been going to this GameStop for a while and they've held amiibo for me before but this was a bit different so I was curious.

Oh dang... yeah, that's definitely bending the rules of what they're "allowed" to do. I used to have a local Gamestop that could do the same kind of thing though. I was there at least 2 or 3 times a week so I knew everyone that worked there. But yeah... that's not their normal policy, just a friendly favor! I would definitely double-check when pre-orders are out to make sure you got it.

Zalman

Agreed. Wii has an amazing library. And let's not forget Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's a franchise people take for granted now, but seeing DKC brought back was a big deal back then.

Its all Nintendo news anyways so why wouldnt you post it lol? Been doing that since 2006.. not sure why people would even complain

I get that it can be a lot of "noise" to cut through, which is why I've been more selective with my posts in recent years, as compared to the early days of GN. To each their own. I just try to do the best job I can. I fumble just like anyone else, but always make sure to own up, apologize and move on.

GAMETA

Banned
Give me a break.

You know how people called every piece of video game hardware a "Nintendo" back in the day? That's the Wii. I know kids who call their tablets Wii. Wii is what they grew up with, what they played with their parents, what is still under their living room television. If you didn't like the Wii, sure, hate it. But don't deny that it has shaped video games forever.

Maybe in America dude... not in the rest of the world as far as I know...

"The Wii is what they grew up with", sure thing man, and now they're playing on fucking cellphones. The Wii did not generate any, ANY, consumer loyalty.

My left thumb had marks and calluses of the the SNES d-pad for years. That's a good video-game legacy. What has the Wii printed on people? Stupidity of not even knowing the name of the hardware you're playing on?

Franz Brötchen;227948064 said:
Hellooh, the entire world is a zero sum game. Some soccer moms got their Fitness thingy, therefore it is inconceivable that the hardcore fanbase got their fair share!
I know you're being sarcastic but that's not too far from the truth. I mean, if that's all we got, I'd have been super pissed but we got so much more than that

Agreed. Wii has an amazing library. And let's not forget Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's a franchise people take for granted now, but seeing DKC brought back was a big deal back then.
Oh yeah, I remember people being hyped for that. It ended up being my first Donkey Kong Country game and introduced me to the other ones. It was a damn solid platformer. Now, granted, I'd never say the Wii was amazing but I do feel it gets far more hate than it should

Has there EVRE been an "internal use only" memo leak that turned out to be true?

There WAS the leaked computer displayed folder that showed the contents of a recent Direct that was real, as it showed Monster Hunter Generations (in name) before the announcement.

Funny showing the Wii with an HDTV considering that it wasn't HD... Such an annoying aspect of that platform.

yeah, even today I find it hard to get a clean image on my tv's with a mix of cables and scart wires which I own, if only it had hdmi in a revision model or something.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
There are elements of this that I'll never understand though. What makes a hardcore Nintendo fan? Presumably, it's a love of their franchises (The IPs themselves along with the way they play). You still got those with the Wii. Super Mario Galaxy is arguably the best Mario game. I don't personally like it, but a lot of people go to bat for Skyward Sword. What is it about the Wii that didn't deliver what Nintendo fans would have wanted?

There were definitely games I loved on Wii. They were just few and far between for me personally, and mostly all hampered by not being in HD (and thus looking crappy on a lot of HDTVs, including the RPTV set I had at the time) and I hated motion control stuff being tacked in.

For me I really enjoyed The Mario Galaxy games, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Zelda TP, Zelda SS and that was pretty much it. But yeah, honestly I problably liked it's game library more than Wii Us, the above things just hampered my enjoyment of it as I'm not as much "it's all about the gameplay!!" as a lot of Nintendo fans.

Gameplay is just one part of the package for me, and there were/are plenty of games out there I can play where I love the gamplay and the graphics and the artstyle and the story and the characters and the setting and the controls etc. for me to look past the SD graphics and waggle in Wii games that were offputting to me.

So Wii U I ended up enjoying more since it was nice looking HD games with largely traditional controls. Switch looks to continue that and have better software support than Wii or Wii U from having all of Nintendo's games in one place so I'm pretty optimistic I'll end up gamign on it more than I did Wii or Wii U.

I get that it can be a lot of "noise" to cut through, which is why I've been more selective with my posts in recent years, as compared to the early days of GN. To each their own. I just try to do the best job I can. I fumble just like anyone else, but always make sure to own up, apologize and move on.

Yeah its nice to do so. I just got cultured and know what to expect from GN after so long tho so I guess some new people reading will have different views.

Just a matter of:

-How many games you buy digitally
-How many you play at any one time
-Whether you want your while library available at all times.

Pay up for a big card if it's a lot and you want it all available, if it's fewer games the internal storage and/or smaller, cheaper cards will be better.

I won't buy digitally other than the few games I play longterm (Splatoon, Animal Crossing etc.) so I'll be just internal, or internal plus a 128gb card probably once I take the plunge.

Yeah, I'm trying to go all digital this time around but it might be easier and of course more cost effective if I just buy another game case that stores all my carts like the one I got off club nintendo for my 3DS. SD Cards don't have high failure rates right? i'd hate to drop $200 on a 512gb card only for it to end up failing after 3 years lol...

"The Wii is what they grew up with", sure thing man, and now they're playing on fucking cellphones. The Wii did not generate any, ANY, consumer loyalty.

My left thumb had marks and calluses of the the SNES d-pad for years. That's a good video-game legacy. What has the Wii printed on people? Stupidity of not even knowing the name of the hardware you're playing on?

Deny it as much as you want but the Wii changed how a lot of people think about video games. Older people and parents loved to play on it and it got a lot of fantastic software. Hell, Mario Galaxy was released on it. One of the greatest games of all time.
The games that released on the console together with the unique Wiimote will always be remebred from gamers all over the world. If you like it or not. ;)
And the SNES didnt build up any loyalty...everyone switched to the PSOne later on so your point is...pointless.

AdanVC

I'm also looking forward to see Kimishima on stage. Iwata is going to be deeply missed :(

I can't wait for these fake leaks to be over too. There will be a few after this week, but nothing like this.

Yeah I only expect light rumors about horsepower and such but those are more bearable than "Metroid Prime 5 coming developed by From Software x Retro Studios x Platinum games!!"

Hieberrr

Yeah, I'm trying to go all digital this time around but it might be easier and of course more cost effective if I just buy another game case that stores all my carts like the one I got off club nintendo for my 3DS. SD Cards don't have high failure rates right? i'd hate to drop $200 on a 512gb card only for it to end up failing after 3 years lol...

Depends on the SD card. If my Android phone is any indication, you'll need a UHS-1 SD card with read and write speeds. Otherwise, you end up risking corruption and and usability.

I doubt the SCD patent stuff will every apply to Switch. It doesn't really make since with the hybrid nature of the device. New docks could up power via SCD when docked, but it would get harder and harder to make those same games run in portable mode.

My guess is the SCD idea was when they were still considering a pure console. It makes more sense there as cheaper and less wasteful way to offer upgrades (especially iterartive, mid gen type upgrades) as they can just sell an SCD that plugged into the existing console rather than requiring people to ditch their old consoles and buy a new one.

Agreed 100%. I had mentioned in an earlier post that the idea of a power improving SCD when you're able to undock the system sounded like a compatibility nightmare.

It's old, that was from right after they announced the Jan event. I think they said they'd be doing another just before the event tho, dunno when
Oh lol. I didn't even watch the video.

Yeah, I'm talking about their predictions for the Switch Presentation. Andre said they would do one before Thursday.

Thanks Rosti, but I've seen that video. I meant a new Switch predictions video.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed 100%. I had mentioned in an earlier post that the idea of a power improving SCD when you're able to undock the system sounded like a compatibility nightmare.
Two things to remember from the SCD patent:

The supplemental computing device 104, meanwhile, includes one or more processors 218, memory 220, and one or more communication interfaces 222. In some instances, the functionality of the device 104 may be basic in order to keep a cost of the device 104 relatively low. As such, the device 104 may be free from drivers, video cards, user-control interfaces, and the like. The processors 218 may be used to process game data provided by the game console, while the memory 220 may be used, in part, for storing game data received from the console. In some instances, the interfaces 222 may include a physical communication interface for coupling with a local game console 102 and a wireless communication interface for coupling with one or more remote game consoles.

In some instances, a user may be compensated based on an amount (e.g., time, raw resources, etc.) that the user shares his or her supplemental computing device or indicates that he or she is willing to share the supplemental computing device. This compensation may comprise any form of value, include access (e.g., time) to other supplemental computing devices maintained by other users, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, information for display (e.g., as a badge) on a social network, or the like.
The second quote there I think would make an SCD quite an attractive device. At a good price I think it could enjoy really great sales. Maybe a power increase à la Nintendo 3DS to New Nintendo 3DS could be entertained without causing too many compatibility issues?

How'd you get that? I don't see it on their channel.
You have to scroll a bit. The video is a few months old.

oti

Banned

I live in Germany, dude.

Cellphones are a totally different subject here that have nothing to do with whether the Wii shaped video games or not. The Wii brought countless of people to play video games, kids and grownups alike. That's a remarkable achievement everyone in the industry applauds Nintendo for. With the exception of some hardcore gamers who feel like Nintendo didn't develop a platform exclusively for them, everyone has fond memories of that machine.

But your example of your controller shows you think you are the centre of this industry and because you didn't like it the Wii was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom