• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

ggx2ac

Just a word of warning. I decided to change back to US region and discovered that the remaining 1 cent balance was actually still there and had not been removed. All Nintendo Support did was change my region for me on my behalf. So now I'm back to where I was stuck on US region because I have 1 cent remaining on my account.

So I need to contact Nintendo Support again. Although they stated in my incident email:

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that the issue you recently contacted us about has been resolved. Please note that if you experience a similar situation in the future, we may not be able to assist you.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.

So I might have screwed myself :(

Why did you go back when you even saw my thread talking about the risks of switching to any of the North American eShops?

Why not just make extra accounts? Its so much easier to switch between regions

Because I want all my digital licenses under one account and don't want to manage multiple accounts.

If I had known you could no longer choose to forfeit your balance when you wanted to swap region, I would have bought a digital code for the actual game. Rather than eShop credit and be stuck with currency on my account and unable to change region.

Also if you care about My Nintendo Rewards, it's better having one account.

With Microsoft, they allow you to change regions at anytime but you can have multiple wallets/balances for each region which is nice.

It's so simple to change region for Nintendo Switch that I'd rather change region and maintain one account. I just got caught out by Nintendo changing their policy to not allow region swapping with remaining currency on the account :(

Why did you go back when you even saw my thread talking about the risks of switching to any of the North American eShops?

I was demonstrating to a friend how to change region of his Nintendo Account because he was concerned about not being able to re-link his NNID. I was trying to demonstrate this was possible.. little did I know my remaining 1 cent was still there on my US region.

Dremorak

Banned
Because I want all my digital licenses under one account and don't want to manage multiple accounts.

If I had known you could no longer choose to forfeit your balance when you wanted to swap region, I would have bought a digital code for the actual game. Rather than eShop credit and be stuck with currency on my account and unable to change region.

Also if you care about My Nintendo Rewards, it's better having one account.

With Microsoft, they allow you to change regions at anytime but you can have multiple wallets/balances for each region which is nice.

It's so simple to change region for Nintendo Switch that I'd rather change region and maintain one account. I just got caught out by Nintendo changing their policy to not allow region swapping with remaining currency on the account :(
I guess I see your reasoning. For me if I can still play it all on my account then its not a big deal. My nintendo could be cool once its working for switch, but at this point 30% off pilotwings isnt enough of a draw for me :p

ggx2ac

I was demonstrating to a friend how to change region of his Nintendo Account because he was concerned about not being able to re-link his NNID. I was trying to demonstrate this was possible.. little did I know my remaining 1 cent was still there on my US region.

You should have picked Japan or made a separate account since they don't have the same user agreement as US which I pointed out in that thread that they allow you to forfeit the balance to change regions.

Although I'm still going to make a separate account because the user agreement can always change without notification.

You should have picked Japan or made a separate account since they don't have the same user agreement as US which I pointed out in that thread that they allow you to forfeit the balance to change regions.

Although I'm still going to make a separate account because the user agreement can always change without notification.

Yeah I know.. I just assumed that the currency had been removed. Little did I know they had just swapped my region for me. I'll try my luck with Nintendo Support again. If they won't help me this time i'll have to see if I can find a valid form of payment to make my next game purchase under US so I can use up that 1 cent.

maxcriden

so, is there a site like this: http://www.xbox-now.com/home but for Nintendo Switch? So that I can find the cheapest price for a game?

Or is it not worth it? Should I rather buy all games physically? Not a big fan of physical stuff tbh.

Yes, there is - here's the link:

https://eshop.stephann.me/

(For Snake Pass and Bomberman it doesn't reflect the sales price.)

If you do stick to NA region you may want to see if you can find discounted NA eShop cred, for example PayPal/eBay did a 20% off sale yesterday but discounts to that extent are uncommon. And be sure to create a separate profile when going to a new store so you don't lose money on your current region balance (from what I understand).

Contact Nintendo again, preferably by phone. I can't imagine they'll refuse to help you, whatever that email said. Make it clear this time you want that one cent removed, not just the region forcibly changed.

If Nintendo does give you trouble, explain that the issue wasn't fully resolved last time: i.e., they should have removed the cent so you can continue to switch regions.

JP

I created this thread a couple of days ago - Close to Buying a Switch, I Have a Few Questions First

I'm trying to work my way through all the Switch threads on here but because it's only four months until launch there are just so many to read through.

Has anything changed in terms of switching regions? Although I don't have the console yet I do already have UK (main account), USA and Japanese accounts so is it really just a simple matter setting up all three accounts on the Switch when it arrives and flicking from one to another to access that region's store?

I've been using multiple regional accounts on PlayStation for years so should I just treat this the same as I do on the PS4? I buy games while logged into any of the three accounts, download them and just switch over to my UK account to play them? If I'm buying DLC I just make sure that I buy it from the same region that I bought the game from? I should really avoid changing regions within my UK account even though it's simple to do because at the moment there are issues with the wallet when you do that?

I have read through this thread but as I said there's just so much information to take in right now as I hadn't really been following stuff until a few days and I just don't want to mess things up.

I've been a long tome user of cdkeys.com for PlayStation points and somebody has recommended pcgamesupply.com for USA Nintendo stuff, does anybody recommend any other sites that I should be looking at?

Thank you.

EDIT:
Oops, are the UK and EU under the same region on Switch? Some places list codes as UK and others list them as EU?

You could make and use separate accounts for each country's eShop you wish to use and it'll all work.

However, the Switch isn't so region-segmented. For a start, accounts aren't tied to countries - if you go to accounts.nintendo.com and change your profile information's Country setting, whichever you pick determines which eShop gets loaded.

That's handy if you want all your purchases from every region under one account instead of 2 or more.

Secondly, the majority of Switch games are the same listing globally - developers and publishers basically tend to add language support and then tick a box to enable that same version of the game to appear in more countries.

So you can buy a game off the Japanese eShop, like Snipperclips or TumbleSeed, and it'll show as purchased on the American one as the listing is identical. I did this also with the Zelda DLC. Bought the EUR version of the game but the expansion pass off the Japanese eShop. When I switched my account back to its "original" country setting it shows as purchased. The DLC also works fine.

There are exceptions to the rule, however. If publishing rights for a game change over countries then you get different listings for the same game (e.g. NIS published "Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance" on the JPN and Asia eShops, NISA published "Disgaea 5 Complete" elsewhere. The former has Japanese and English language support, the latter has English and French. The two listings are different, so buying the Japanese version (which I did) doesn't show Disgaea 5 Complete as purchased on other stores. Likewise Puyo Puyo Tetris got different publishers in different regions.

jariw

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how do I buy an eShop code for the US eShop from Europe? When trying amazon.com, I get:
"This item is not available for purchase due to geographical restrictions."

JP

You can skip cards entirely and buy digital codes from amazon.com, and redeem them directly on Nintendo.com
Thanks, I have used Amazon for PlayStation codes in the past but they often stick to the RRP whereas other places offer discounts on codes and downloadable games.
You could make and use separate accounts for each country's eShop you wish to use and it'll all work.

However, the Switch isn't so region-segmented. For a start, accounts aren't tied to countries - if you go to accounts.nintendo.com and change your profile information's Country setting, whichever you pick determines which eShop gets loaded.

That's handy if you want all your purchases from every region under one account instead of 2 or more.

Secondly, the majority of Switch games are the same listing globally - developers and publishers basically tend to add language support and then tick a box to enable that same version of the game to appear in more countries.

So you can buy a game off the Japanese eShop, like Snipperclips or TumbleSeed, and it'll show as purchased on the American one as the listing is identical. I did this also with the Zelda DLC. Bought the EUR version of the game but the expansion pass off the Japanese eShop. When I switched my account back to its "original" country setting it shows as purchased. The DLC also works fine.

There are exceptions to the rule, however. If publishing rights for a game change over countries then you get different listings for the same game (e.g. NIS published "Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance" on the JPN and Asia eShops, NISA published "Disgaea 5 Complete" elsewhere. The former has Japanese and English language support, the latter has English and French. The two listings are different, so buying the Japanese version (which I did) doesn't show Disgaea 5 Complete as purchased on other stores. Likewise Puyo Puyo Tetris got different publishers in different regions.
Thanks, from what I'm reading here there are issues with switching regions in that way if you any funds in your wallet. Am I wrong about that? I don't actually mind having multiple accounts at all as I've had UK, USA and Japanese PlayStation accounts since the PS3 launched and I still use all three on the PS4.
Same regions for game codes, different regions for eShop credit codes (different currencies).
OK, that's interesting.

Thanks to everybody who has answered. :)

Thanks, from what I'm reading here there are issues with switching regions in that way if you any funds in your wallet. Am I wrong about that? I don't actually mind having multiple accounts at all as I've had UK, USA and Japanese PlayStation accounts since the PS3 launched and I still use all three on the PS4.

Right, if you switch countries any remaining funds in your wallet get wiped. The problem can be mitigated by buying download codes for games on Amazon Japan etc.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
so, is there a site like this: http://www.xbox-now.com/home but for Nintendo Switch? So that I can find the cheapest price for a game?

I've been making one up for Canada/USA/Mexico prices -- http://www.potchgult.com/eshop . It's a work in progress, but I was sharing details in the eShop thread.

Yes, there is - here's the link:
https://eshop.stephann.me/

(For Snake Pass and Bomberman it doesn't reflect the sales price.)
That site appears to only have Brazilian prices and their equivalent in US dollars. I'm not entirely sure, but the Brazilian prices APPEAR to somewhat mirror the Mexican ones. I wonder if all of Latin America has the same prices, based on the Mexican values.

Thanks, I have used Amazon for PlayStation codes in the past but they often stick to the RRP whereas other places offer discounts on codes and downloadable games.

If you don't mind having your content spread across several accounts then go for it. I just want it all under one account - less management required.

As for Amazon Japan, for Switch and 3DS games everything I've bought has been below the RRP, even the Expansion Pass which was 2250 yen but the RRP is 2500 yen. Same goes for other stuff like Picross 3D 2, BoxBoy, and Pokemon Sun.

I got my download code for Disgaea 5 from Amazon Japan but forgot if it was reduced.

Tigerman82

Neo Member
Just got a Switch and am trying to decide what's the best route to go in terms of shopping via multiple eShop regions. I've currently made three accounts (one main, one US and one Japan). I've also made one digital purchase which I did by changing the region of my main account via accounts.nintendo and then, after purchase, changing it back.

Now my main problem is this... Most people seem to recommend creating multiple accounts to match the eshop regions of interest as while purchases are tied to the specific account they are available for all the users in the specific Switch console. BUT... Thinking in the long-term... Doesn't this make an awful mess if you wish to transfer the content to a new console, even a next-gen console (if Nintendo allows backwards compatibility)? Doesn't this mean that, in order to get all the games you've bought via different accounts, you have to link them in the new device (provided you can do that in the future)? I guess the worst-case scenario I've getting at is that I buy expensive AAA titles with different accounts and then, in the future, I can either import the content of one of those accounts or swithing between account content is a lot harder than it is now with the switch (where the device shares the content of all the accounts linked to it).

So would it be safer and easier, in the long-term, to use just one account and just manually changing the region to whichever eshop region you wish to visit? That way all the games would be under one account. Or am I just overthinking this or preparing for something that wouldn't happen?

I do have to note that e.g. in the US eshop, as a non-US person, I cannot use my credit card or Paypal (both tested) so I'm forced to use gift cards (which I've never done before). If I understand the procedure correctly, when you use a gift card of say 50 USD to buy a 24.99 USD game (yes, I will be paying Treasure Trove at some point), the account will be left with 25.01 USD of funds. As many have noted, this means that I cannot switch regions before I get funds to 0 USD, which speaks for creating a US eshop specific account to avoid this problem. So would it be wise to create extra accounts to just those eShops that force me to use gift cards?

Just got a Switch and am trying to decide what's the best route to go in terms of shopping via multiple eShop regions. I've currently made three accounts (one main, one US and one Japan). I've also made one digital purchase which I did by changing the region of my main account via accounts.nintendo and then, after purchase, changing it back.

Now my main problem is this... Most people seem to recommend creating multiple accounts to match the eshop regions of interest as while purchases are tied to the specific account they are available for all the users in the specific Switch console. BUT... Thinking in the long-term... Doesn't this make an awful mess if you wish to transfer the content to a new console, even a next-gen console (if Nintendo allows backwards compatibility)? Doesn't this mean that, in order to get all the games you've bought via different accounts, you have to link them in the new device (provided you can do that in the future)? I guess the worst-case scenario I've getting at is that I buy expensive AAA titles with different accounts and then, in the future, I can either import the content of one of those accounts or swithing between account content is a lot harder than it is now with the switch (where the device shares the content of all the accounts linked to it).

So would it be safer and easier, in the long-term, to use just one account and just manually changing the region to whichever eshop region you wish to visit? That way all the games would be under one account. Or am I just overthinking this or preparing for something that wouldn't happen?

I do have to note that e.g. in the US eshop, as a non-US person, I cannot use my credit card or Paypal (both tested) so I'm forced to use gift cards (which I've never done before). If I understand the procedure correctly, when you use a gift card of say 50 USD to buy a 24.99 USD game (yes, I will be paying Treasure Trove at some point), the account will be left with 25.01 USD of funds. As many have noted, this means that I cannot switch regions before I get funds to 0 USD, which speaks for creating a US eshop specific account to avoid this problem. So would it be wise to create extra accounts to just those eShops that force me to use gift cards?

So long as you don't mind delinking your 3DS and Wii U from your Nintendo Account regularly, I'd go with a single account.

The 1 cent issue sounds strange to me - I thought when you changed country on your Nintendo Account, and the currency changed, it would wipe your balance to 0 automatically?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about ready to go full digital on Switch but I've got a single concern left -

If I have a foreign region account on an NA switch and my switch breaks, will NA support be able to transfer my foreign region account to a new console through the NA website/phone support?

Edit - If switching an account's region is as easy as it sounds, would I be able to switch it to NA region, go through the support/transfer process, then just switch it back?

ramparter

Banned
I'm about ready to go full digital on Switch but I've got a single concern left -

If I have a foreign region account on an NA switch and my switch breaks, will NA support be able to transfer my foreign region account to a new console through the NA website/phone support?

Edit - If switching an account's region is as easy as it sounds, would I be able to switch it to NA region, go through the support/transfer process, then just switch it back?
I dont think you need a transfer process at all. You just use your credentials to sign in to the other console. I remember reading you can have your account on multiple Switch consoles, but only one of them is able to play the games at a time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I dont think you need a transfer process at all. You just use your credentials to sign in to the other console. I remember reading you can have your account on multiple Switch consoles, but only one of them is able to play the games at a time.
According to the support website you have to manually deactivate the account on the previous console before you're actually able to activate it on another console though - something you can't do if the original is broken, hence the contacting support process.

According to the support website you have to manually deactivate the account on the previous console before you're actually able to activate it on another console though - something you can't do if the original is broken, hence the contacting support process.

Turn your foreign region account into a NA account.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue.

legend166

So I'm trying to do this for the first time. Ideally I'd like to keep all my purchases under the one account so I'm going to change my region from Australia to the US and see if my credit card works. If I have to make a separate US account I'll do that but for now I want to test it with my existing one.

I've gone to account.nintendo.com and when I switch to the US it gives me this warning:

Your Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID are linked. Changing the country of residence will disable this link.

To be honest there's been so many stupid Nintendo accounts I can't remember which is which. Once I've changed this do I have to go link anything else or is this enough?

iphys

Can't seem to buy points codes from Amazon Japan anymore. They all show as currently unavailable, or am I missing something?

So I'm trying to do this for the first time. Ideally I'd like to keep all my purchases under the one account so I'm going to change my region from Australia to the US and see if my credit card works. If I have to make a separate US account I'll do that but for now I want to test it with my existing one.

I've gone to account.nintendo.com and when I switch to the US it gives me this warning:

To be honest there's been so many stupid Nintendo accounts I can't remember which is which. Once I've changed this do I have to go link anything else or is this enough?

Your NNID is region locked. So if it's currently linked to your Nintendo Account and you attempt to change it to a different region it simply unlinks it. If you change your Nintendo Account back to Australia at any point you can re-link it without any issues.

It's highly unlikely your CC will work on US eShop. You can buy game specific digital codes from Amazon which would be my suggestion. However not all games are available. Do NOT buy an eShop voucher to buy a game as you'll be left with remaining balance on the account and unable to change your Nintendo Account back to any other region. Unless you can find a way to use up the remaining balance.

Your NNID is region locked. So if it's currently linked to your Nintendo Account and you attempt to change it to a different region it simply unlinks it. If you change your Nintendo Account back to Australia at any point you can re-link it without any issues.

It's highly unlikely your CC will work on US eShop. You can buy game specific digital codes from Amazon which would be my suggestion. However not all games are available. Do NOT buy an eShop voucher to buy a game as you'll be left with remaining balance on the account and unable to change your Nintendo Account back to any other region. Unless you can find a way to use up the remaining balance.

I am getting my Switch tomorrow and will be setting up multiple accounts. Is it OK to have a remaining balance on one account, then switch to another? Or will the funds be wiped? I was under the impression you could have a number of accounts and switch freely between them?

I am getting my Switch tomorrow and will be setting up multiple accounts. Is it OK to have a remaining balance on one account, then switch to another? Or will the funds be wiped? I was under the impression you could have a number of accounts and switch freely between them?

That is correct. Having multiple accounts lets you keep individual balances and switch freely between them.

shauntu

I have a Japan eshop account and a US one (my main). Since I can't read Japanese, is there a way to stop the Japan News without stopping the US News?

Top Bottom