• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Terrell

$20 a year is the right price. I remember people brow-beating in early threads about how Nintendo would charge $50 "because they can", so I'm glad to see that pessimism didn't win the day.

Having features delayed to 2018 stinks, but keeping it free in the interim is a decent compromise. I'm interested to see how many features are implemented for the summer launch of the app and what is held back until later.

All told, though, this announcement isn't really as.... detailed as it should be, really only changing the online retro title situation and pushing the full launch back to 2018. Still thinking there's going to be a full walkthrough and demo of how this will work at E3 and this was added to the website early because they could.

Am I really going to wait until 2018 for VC on Switch? Fuck me.

Not sure why you'd think that.

Fredrik

Great price!

But you have to do this right now, Nintendo.

Quickly add at least 50 VC games to the Netflix-like service.
Don't go with the previous method of adding 5 new games per month. It'll only make people angry.

It would be great if we could buy the VC games without the subscription service too.

Not paying for online so I'll sit on the fence until more VC games are available.

moeman

I'd be happy with 1 game a month and a focus on a good online infrastructure for $20 (can't really ask for much more). Also looking forward to seeing what kinds of discounts will be available for subscribers. I hope they go back and fix MK8D's online because right now it's not great.

No VC until next year and they start with fucking Baloon Fight?

Did they produce enough Snes Mini to soften the blow this time?

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
Nintendo has been on the "Sony PS4 announcement" playbook... giving the people what they want. I hate the headset/smartphone thing but... for Nintendo.. it is as good as it can be

The word "expanding" isn't there.
I guess this is more like Netflix in the sense that titles will rotate in and out, and if you want permanent access to it, you buy the "full" VC-version.

You realize netflix rotates titles because they have to pay for the rights to them for a period of time. I don't think game rentals have the same licensing structure

MTC100

Banned
You realize netflix rotates titles because they have to pay for the rights to them for a period of time. I don't think game rentals have the same licensing structure
Nintendo doesn't have to pay for the licencing of Balloon Fight, SMB3 or Dr. Mario at least...

Switching titles every few months would be fine if they'd offer you a very high discount on them as a Subscriber once they get shuffled out: for example 1$ for NES Games. But knowing Nintendo, it will be more like 5$ regular and 4$ for subscribers.

$20 is the sweet spot. Given the Apple-esque prices on their accessories I was worried that they would price online at $40 or even $60 a year, which would've been asinine given how lackluster it is.

Jubenhimer

Too much. This is a online system that requires fucking friend codes, and an app to chat. I'm sorry but Dr. Mario is not worth the 20 bucks a year.

The Friend Code system isn't the same as the past implementations. It's basically the same as every other platform, the only difference is that you're typing a number.

oti

Banned
I like SMB3 too but come on. SNES games are still "under consideration"? What is this? This should be NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii (if they can emulate the controls on Switch somehow) and they should be saying that from the beginning. It doesn't have to be all at once. 20€ is cheap compared to other services but with PS+ I get modern games. I don't care about Dr. Mario with Online multiplayer.

Updating old games with online is like a stroke of genius compared to their general online plans.

Nintendo are the gaming equivalent of Jekyll & Hyde.

jonno394

£15-£20 for a year of online plus access to multiple games is not even something i have to mull over, its an easy decision to make for me.

Anything more than that would likely have been a tougher decision.

Morokh

Now let's change that monstrosity that requires me to use my phone when I want to play Online at home, and I might consider it.

Jaruru

exactly as what I expected. but surprised by the timing they release this info.

there's a lot more happening @ E3???

hatchx

Banned
I wonder how SMB3 will have online. I'm down for old games being updated with online multiplayer, but it sounds like it's going to be an extremely slow trickle.

I guess it'll be cheap. I'm in for whatever weirdness Nintendo has in store.

urge26

So for roughly the same price as EA access I get Dr. Mario and online play I'll never use. Jesus Nintendo (face palm)

Ok but, how exactly will a game like Mario 3 benefit from online play? It's not simultaneous, you take turns.

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.wikimg.net/strategywiki/images/4/4f/SMB3_Battle_Mode_bonus2.png[/IMG]

Mario 3 actually has a really fun simultaneous versus mode. When a player travels over another player on the overworld map, either one of them can initiate a multiplayer battle that is usually reminiscent of Mario Bros, but there's also a level with the pictured coin and fireball spitting pipe and another level with coins hidden in boxes that you need to kick open.

The most interesting thing is that you can steal each others' cards that you obtain at the end of each regular level, and you can get the expected bonuses if you can grab three cards.

But you're still right, the game is definitely turn-based overall. Though I had a ton of fun with that versus mode but rarely got to play it, and look forward to trying it on the Switch.

20 bucks a year? I'm in.

I hope this means that we'll see apps on the Switch now too, since there's an online infrastructure coming now.

I'm gonna see what this theoretical Netflix or PS Plus-style rotating VC is about...I'm tentatively excited about that.

Naturally Nintendo keeps pushing Balloon Fight to be the AOL trial CD equivalent of video games. I'm sure they have valid pragmatic reasons to make it one of their go-to classic games, but "our audience really likes and wants Balloon Fight" surely can't be one of those.

20 bucks per year isn't too bad. I'll be subbing for Monster Hunter regardless of the price, but something relatively cheap is welcome. Curious why they didn't wait for E3 to announce this though.

JCH!

20€ a year is a pretty reasonable price.

Especially if we get an ever growing selection of games to go along with it.

Danneee

A library of VC games included in the subscription sounds good but damn Nintendo just release a classic joy con pack with d pads in place of the sticks.

E-phonk

Banned
Soooo, what are the chances this is done by indieszero and the multiplayer part has some nes remix styled challenges?

Because that would instantly improve it's value imo

Lol, I can't believe they're asking for 20€ a year for a service that isn't even on par with services we had in... 2005.

And the compensation ? A netflix style subscription to NES titles. If they believe it's such a good offer, why not remove online play from the paywall ?

Garou

Lol, I can't believe they're asking for 20€ a year for a service that isn't even on par with services we had in... 2005.

And the compensation ? A netflix style subscription to NES titles. If they believe it's such a good offer, why not remove online play from the paywall ?

So you are expecting them to be on par with everything else and still cost 20€ per year?

So you are expecting them to be on par with everything else and still cost 20€ per year?

I expect them to be on par with everything else and be FREE.
The problem is, they ask for 20€ while their online service is beyond terrible. Friend codes ? For real ??

Joey Ravn

Banned
But what if I want to play virtual console games offline on the go?

By the looks of it, these are not Virtual Console games. They are revamped versions of old games, kinda like the 3D Classics on 3DS. Virtual Console games should behave as any other Virtual Console on a Nintendo platform.

Also, there's nothing here indicating that you need to be connected 24/7 to make the Classic Game Collection work...

Jacobs

By the looks of it, these are not Virtual Console games. They are revamped versions of old games, kinda like the 3D Classics on 3DS. Virtual Console games should behave as any other Virtual Console on a Nintendo platform.

Also, there's nothing here indicating that you need to be connected 24/7 to make the Classic Game Collection work...

If there is normal VC and the online enabled classic games it would make sense I guess, but they haven't confirmed normal VC.

Joey Ravn

Banned
If there is normal VC and the online enabled classic games it would make sense I guess, but they haven't confirmed normal VC.

What would Nintendo win in that scenario? There is absolutely no reason not to think that "normal" VC ain't coming and that every game will be online-enabled and tied to a subscription service.

jonno394

I don't know, but can Nintendo check if you are subscribed while you are offline?

Sony do it fine enough with vita ps4 etc, it's all about issuing licenses for the software and giving them expiry dates.

Your sub lasts until 31/12/2018? So do all your game licenses.

Top Bottom