• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Shiggy

I guess, in the sense that anyone could be not wrong making nearly any claim about this service as we know it now.

Nintendo isn't typically the kind of entity to use insanely absurd pedantics.

The only Nintendo game that is online-only that I'm aware of is Mario Run. It's an UNBELIVABLY shitty thing which I hate, but that's a phone game. It's a significant distinction.

Fire Emblem Heroes and Miitomo also are, but both are mobile-only too. Nintendo Badge Arcade is the only online-only Nintendo title on a Nintendo system that I know of.

I would be surprised if this is how it ends up working out.

They haven't said a few games will be added each month. It is going to be like 5 total for the entire life of system.

If more are made, they will rotate in and older ones will be sold separately.

You may be right about the amount, but I don't see anything from their quotes suggesting there will be a rotating selection of games. They were explicit about that "monthly game" with the previous statement back in January and now they've dropped that- I very much doubt that wasn't intentional.

At 20$ a year I think it would have been smarter to have it be free.
Would give them an advantage to be the only console with free online.

That didn't do much for the Wii U.

Jazzem

I'm fine paying that, I just desperately hope the player bases on smaller games don't drop to non-existent after it goes live. I wanna be impulse playing Puyo Tetris online for years to come :(

No. It's something for a lot of people. Maybe not to me and you, but to a lot of people.

This line of thought is always a little strange to me. I agree $20 can be something to someone, but I would hope that if $20 is going to break your bank you didn't go out and buy a $300 console. Maybe wait till $20 isn't such an issue for an entire year of service, then buy the console.

Zalman

Great price. Not expecting much from that Netflix-style VC. There's no way they'll blow the doors open for only 20 bucks.

Fire Emblem Heroes and Miitomo also are, but both are mobile-only too. Nintendo Badge Arcade is the only online-only Nintendo title on a Nintendo system that I know of.

Ahhhh should have remembered Miitomo, but I only played FE:H like once. Let me reiterate that it's a fuckin TERRIBLE practice that I hate. I guess it's standard on mobile but it's still ads.

But I don't see them implementing this on a console on a large scale.

Just saw this last night upon getting out of work and was pleasantly surprised! $20 a year for that dedicated app and more than one classic game updated with online play sounds great!

I wonder if the classic games will act like Netflix/Game Pass in that they cycle in and out with the option to buy for a discount. It's either that or just a continuous rolling library. Hope this doesn't mean proper VC is delayed until 2018.

RPGCrazied

Price is fine, but hope they do more on the free game part then virtual console games. Plus going to need more online games then just Mario Kart and Smash.

Boylamite

Late to the thread so apologies if this had been discussed already, but am I reading this right? Classic games locked behind a paywall??

I really wasn't interested in paying for their online so that's a huge number.

Koppai

I'm fine paying that, I just desperately hope the player bases on smaller games don't drop to non-existent after it goes live. I wanna be impulse playing Puyo Tetris online for years to come :(
Yall they probably saving VC announcement until E3 or for the holiday season I imagine.

entremet

Late to the thread so apologies if this had been discussed already, but am I reading this right? Classic games locked behind a paywall??

Nope. We don't know if they're gonna offer VC a la carte yet. This is only about their online service, so it doesn't rule out the VC.

Not necessarily true. They haven't announced anything about Virtual Console yet. The only games "locked behind a paywall" are the updated versions of classic games that feature online multiplayer. We don't yet know if we'll have the option to buy a non-online version separately.

We have no word on whether the classic games (with added online play) will be separate from their traditional virtual console offerings. Based on rumors from Eurogamer there will likely be a separate virtual console but we just don't know at this point.

I'd guess it's pretty likely that these are two separate things though.

Futureman

I don't even understand why Nintendo announced this now with so few details and seemingly confusing features (the free game stuff). Like... why!

They announced a pricing structure for something that won't even be available for half a year.

Flintty

This changes everything. Ongoing access to classics makes it way more worthwhile and I'll likely sub. I still ain't using my phone to chat though.

Cipherr

Online Gunstar Heroes pls. VC can include Genesis titles too right? Give it to me now. Also I'll take Double Dragon 3 online co-op, the first Mario Kart, TMNT: Turtles in time, and the Simpsons Arcade game.

johnny956

Anywhere with Wi-Fi? Anywhere in your house? Who knows what "anywhere" means. I can't take the thing to the moon. How will the Switch know you're still subscribed if you're offline? Hell, what if the social media guy is just wrong?

Not saying they won't be downloadable but I am saying Nintendo's recent track record is not good and some of you in the thread are setting yourselves up for real disappointment.

They have drip fed before and they will drip feed yet again.

It would be as simple as requiring the Switch to be connected to the internet once of month for these games.

Raven77

VC not launching till 2018 would be a complete travesty. This system is BEGGING for NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, etc. titles on it. I'm praying they announce it at E3 and maybe even surprise launch it this summer shortly after E3.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I don't even understand why Nintendo announced this now with so few details and seemingly confusing features (the free game stuff). Like... why!

They announced a pricing structure for something that won't even be available for half a year.

They want to focus on positive things and games at e3

Price and features at e3 would dominate the conversation

mrk8885

Banned
I really hope this has nothing to do with virtual console.

Let the virtual console be HUGE, filled with original unaltered versions of their games.

Then the online service versions of those games can be the special multiplayer added variety. Keep it fresh adding new ones all the time.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I really hope this has nothing to do with virtual console.

Let the virtual console be HUGE, filled with original unaltered versions of their games.

Then the online service versions of those games can be the special multiplayer added variety. Keep it fresh adding new ones all the time.

I hope that's the case...

saichi

$20 a year is such a nice entry price for Nintendo to start.... cheap enough for people to pay and at the same time, Nintendo gets some extra revenue.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
On the one hand, YAY MORE TIME BEFORE BEING SCREWED OVER WITH PAID ONLINE!

on the other hand, please tell me this doesn't affect the virtual console. If Nintendo doesn't reveal the virtual console at E3 I'll have my answer.

Azriell

I don't have any friends who own a Switch yet, but once that changes I could see myself paying $20/year if most/all of the classic games have online MP. Hopefully we get SNES online mp as well, without too much of a wait.

If the NES games are worthwhile, it will pay for itself in VC savings.

Also, I'm very happy for the $20 price point and the accumulating library.

Haines

Banned
Thank you for a service not costing so much.

Very happy to hear of classic games getting an online treatment as well

It says "games such as" not "these are the games you'll get on launch"

I'm well aware of that. I said "three best examples you have to tout".

Those are the three games they chose as examples for this press release. Three NES games (enough with the fucking NES games, Nintendo), two of which few people will care about (Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario), and the other (SMB3) has you take turns. If those are the three games Nintendo chose as examples to generate interest, that doesn't bode well at all, and it's absolutely fair to judge them based on that.

On the one hand, YAY MORE TIME BEFORE BEING SCREWED OVER WITH PAID ONLINE!

on the other hand, please tell me this doesn't affect the virtual console. If Nintendo doesn't reveal the virtual console at E3 I'll have my answer.

I'm sorry, but it seems like $20 a year even if just for VC access in a Netflix style setup with added online play is dirt cheap. How would that not be a good deal?

NoKisum

So does this mean that all VC games now require a constant online connection like Ubisoft games? Will I not be able to play them outside my house?

I'm sorry, but it seems like $20 a year even if just for VC access in a Netflix style setup with added online play is dirt cheap. How would that not be a good deal?

On a personal level, because $ 20 is more than I've spent on NES VC games, which is all it is announced to be for now, in the past decade.

Access to NES games has literally no value for me at all for a subscription.

So does this mean that all VC games now require a constant online connection like Ubisoft games? Will I not be able to play them outside my house?

How did anything in the OP get you to this conclusion?

This looks to be a completely separate service from the VC. We don't have confirmation on that fact but I would wager that's the case.

mrk8885

Banned

I certainly hope not. With ps plus they have the subscription end date programmed into your system so they still work online.

But until your post I hadn't even thought of that awful possibility :/

boiled goose

good with gravy

Not gonna be Netflix like at all.

The announcement explicitly says "a compilation"

Not a huge ever growing library

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Online play being locked beyond even a single penny is ridiculous. I relly wish apologists would stop defending this shit. I'm all for a netflix style virtual console. I'm all for a sub for access to x amount of games a month if the lineup is good. I am not ok with locking online behind a paywall no matter how small. It's even more ridiculous considering how Nintendo haven't proven themselves to have a competent system in place. Their online has been garbage and now they expect me to pay for it? Fuck off Nintendo.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Online play being locked beyond even a single penny is ridiculous. I relly wish apologists would stop defending this shit. I'm all for a netflix style virtual console. I'm all for a sub for access to x amount of games a month if the lineup is good. I am not ok with locking online behind a paywall no matter how small. It's even more ridiculous considering how Nintendo haven't proven themselves to have a competent system in place. Their online has been garbage and now they expect me to pay for it? Fuck off Nintendo.

I personally don't have a problem paying for online services. It cost the developer money to have the servers. But we should expect decent quality, if they are charging. I'm not expecting the world, but voice chat, matchmaking, and ability to easily play with friends is a no brainer.

Tregard

Soothsayer
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Online play being locked beyond even a single penny is ridiculous. I relly wish apologists would stop defending this shit. I'm all for a netflix style virtual console. I'm all for a sub for access to x amount of games a month if the lineup is good. I am not ok with locking online behind a paywall no matter how small. It's even more ridiculous considering how Nintendo haven't proven themselves to have a competent system in place. Their online has been garbage and now theybexpext me to pay for it? Fuck off Nintendo.

They managed to wrangle their way behind the semantics of "From the launch of the Switch, online play is a trial period", but it's blatantly obvious they are going to be charging you for a service that you were getting for free. Hell, if they stuck the voice chat app, lobbies, and all the other stuff behind a paywall without the core online you are currently getting there would be no complaints (although then obviously no-one would subscribe).

Not gonna be Netflix like at all.

The announcement explicitly says "a compilation"

Not a huge ever growing library

Even if not Netflix style, it still seems like a rounding error. As for the quality of Nintendo online itself, obviously they have a lot to prove. If it's trash, then the people will speak and they'll have crap paid numbers.

If it's good, then $20 a year is dirt cheap for something that by it's very nature requires constant attention, updates, and maintenance.

Edit: And reading the OP again, while it doesn't say "growing," it also doesn't say "rotating." So more information is needed. It would be logical to assume that titles are added over time, though. Although, granted, Nintendo is rarely logical when it comes to online services.

Redd

$20 is doable I guess. With that I'll be pretty close to paying $100 a year just to play consoles online -_-

Psn- $40
Xbox- $35
Nintendo- $20

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Even if not Netflix style, it still seems like a rounding error. As for the quality of Nintendo online itself, obviously they have a lot to prove. If it's trash, then the people will speak and they'll have crap paid numbers.

If it's good, then $20 a year is dirt cheap for something that by it's very nature requires constant attention, updates, and maintenance.

Everyone who is interested in playing Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Pokemon, Animal Crossing etc. online will pay up....would be crazy to think that there will be some big resistance for less than 2 dollar per month. They know their audience - the price point is good enough that even parent will be okay signing up for their kids.

Top Bottom