• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo talks rising dev costs, targeting 2+ million units for their games

Reasonable dev costs/sw sales expectations (and proper time of development) are why I still have faith in Nintendo and their future (shocking, I know).

MomoQca

Where it probably did ~500k (give or take 100k) given retail estimates from various regions, which is low for a game of its development time.

EDIT: My god 10k what did you do to ramp up your tag?

That's an arbitrary way of measuring a game's success. According to Takahashi, the game is nowhere near AAA games so it doesn't need to sell a million in order for it to be profitable. Just recently, Monolith Soft reported an increase in profits from 1 billion yen in FY 2015 to 2.7 billion in 2016. That coupled with the fact that the studio is constantly hiring implies that their biggest game (XCX) was financially profitable.

Lot of people misunderstanding. This isn't like a capcom situation where they will only make games that sell over 2 million, it's more of a matter of them making games that will sell over 2 million so they can recoup the costs of the games that don't quite break even.

This. Miyamoto says this in the very quote quoted.

There will be big hits somewhere in our business, and they support the games that fail and allow us to take on other challenges. So our basic premise is to create software that will sell in the range of at least two million units.

To me that suggests that success will fund passion/experimental projects.

The two million mark allows them to be flexible, it is about being cost effective. Not completely going all in, but enough to make solid, well made, fun games that are practically profitable out the door. Profit!

Banned
Where it probably did ~500k (give or take 100k) given retail estimates from various regions, which is low for a game of its development time.

EDIT: My god 10k what did you do to ramp up your tag?
I have no idea why my tag was ramped up. I haven't posted any nx rumors and never will again.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Lot of people misunderstanding. This isn't like a capcom situation where they will only make games that sell over 2 million, it's more of a matter of them making games that will sell over 2 million so they can recoup the costs of the games that don't quite break even.

You're right, I just re-read the quotes. This is good and Sony does the same thing to an extent. Sounds like the Xenoblades and third party collaborations will continue to keep the base happy and keep Nintendo's diversity of products high.

Malakai

Nintendo was using different prices for WiiU games for years. Splatoon was only 35€, Captain Toad 40€. They basically used everything between 35-60.

Because Rockstar makes only 1 type of games for 2 decades already. They never branched out of generic sandbox design. Hence wanting someone that only made WRPGs so far to make a Mario game is hillarious.

You guys in Europe got lucky. Splatoon was $60 in North America. Captain Toad was released at $40. The only game that I can think off that was released at $40 was Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

Top Bottom